Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

It's probably because the enemies in DS3 got faster but your basic slate of Dark Souls weapons didn't get faster to compensate. So the slow and heavy weapons that used to be balanced in earlier games in the series just become straight-up impractical.

Getting unconditionally staggered by anything and everything hits slow weapons pretty goddamn hard on top of the faster enemies. I keep getting these weapons and shields with skills that say they boost poise and just wonder what the hell happened for them to need to turn poise off.

As I make progress the game is increasingly feeling so unfinished to me that I'm wondering just how badly namco was pushing them to meet the yearly release date. Dark souls 2, bloodborne and dark souls 3 came out just 1 year apart from one another and that's pretty ridiculous. I think games with enough potential for depth as these should be 2 years apart, minimum.

Demon's souls came out in early 2009, dark souls 1 in late 2011, and dark souls 2 in early 2014. Why did we go from two and a half years apart to one year? (I know the answer is publishers suck but seriously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
B Team complaints looking real good right about now.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Random Hajile posted:

I don't know why the Souls team got such a hateboner for circlets after Demon's Souls. My favorite headpiece in the series remains the Silver Coronet simply because it's something that fills the head slot while not getting in the way visually.

Although the Infantry Helmet from DS2 wasn't bad if you wanted something more armored-looking without covering everything up.

Same here, the only thing I've found so far is they Pyro circlet with the little feather sticking out of it. I really hope they put in more options with the DLC

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ornstein cosplay for the nameless king trip report:

Dragonslayer Spear kind of sucks against the dragon

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Internet Kraken posted:

Such as? I haven't used a weapon yet that felt completely terrible in PvE.

- Storm Curved Sword is terrible - I got this instead of the other, good one because my character has no faith. Upgraded to +4, the Storm Curved Sword is pathetic. That's 15 Scales I spent - or, 300,000 souls - because I'd already picked up and used all the scales in the game, so you don't have to. It's a completionist-only weapon that is just going to sit in your item box unused.

- Drakeblood Greatsword - Hey, look at that AR! And then: hey, three way damage split...useless

- Bloodlust - Let's use this awesome stab myself in the stomach weapon art in PVP

- Morne's Great Hammer - 50 STR and 30 FTH required to use, but does not scale with FTH and cannot be infused or buffed; weight: 24 whatever weight units are in Dark Souls.

- Irithyl Straight Sword - judging this sword by how good it looks is a big mistake after you upgrade it. It's got a very low AR and frostbite is impossible to inflict when everyone is invincible-rolling around like hyperactive children

But, other than the other obvious bad ones (Ghru weapons, etc)...I gotta agree; the weapon selection is very nice and there is a wide variety (without being TOO wide). Nothing seems terribly OP - well, except my Yhorm's +5 - as long as you have the capability to parry those pesky estoc/straight sword/ katana R1 spammers.

Seriously if you have a STR build (or just the ability to use a 38 STR req 2-handed) this weapon is absolutely worth spending a slab on in your first game. It is much faster than the BKGA and hits 2-3 hit combos easily. Also less stamina drain than BKGA. And PVP opponents either respect it because they know about it or they respect it after you hit them once - just once. I never feel like this weapon is too slow to use against any enemy, even estoc spammers or enemies with multihit quick spinning moves. It's a riot. It's also a BIG surprise if you open up in PVP with something small & spammy like a longsword and then whip this sucker out when you get pressed...it;s awe-inspiringly beautiful.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 5, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hey Lorian have you considered attacking/teleporting slow enough that I could actually hit you back
Like you don't need to teleport on every single attack
Just some food for thought

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

- Storm Curved Sword is terrible - I got this instead of the other, good one because my character has no faith. Upgraded to +4, the Storm Curved Sword is pathetic. That's 15 Scales I spent - or, 300,000 souls - because I'd already picked up and used all the scales in the game, so you don't have to. It's a completionist-only weapon that is just going to sit in your item box unused.

- Drakeblood Greatsword - Hey, look at that AR! And then: hey, three way damage split...useless

- Bloodlust - Let's use this awesome stab myself in the stomach weapon art in PVP

- Morne's Great Hammer - 50 STR and 30 FTH required to use, but does not scale with FTH and cannot be infused or buffed; weight: 24 whatever weight units are in Dark Souls.

- Irithyl Straight Sword - judging this sword by how good it looks is a big mistake after you upgrade it. It's got a very low AR and frostbite is impossible to inflict when everyone is invincible-rolling around like hyperactive children

But, other than the other obvious bad ones (Ghru weapons, etc)...I gotta agree; the weapon selection is very nice and there is a wide variety (without being TOO wide). Nothing seems terribly OP - well, except my Yhorm's +5 - as long as you have the capability to parry those pesky estoc/straight sword/ katana R1 spammers.

Seriously if you have a STR build (or just the ability to use a 38 STR req 2-handed) this weapon is absolutely worth spending a slab on in your first game. It is much faster than the BKGA and hits 2-3 hit combos easily. Also less stamina drain than BKGA. And PVP opponents either respect it because they know about it or they respect it after you hit them once - just once. I never feel like this weapon is too slow to use against any enemy, even estoc spammers or enemies with multihit quick spinning moves. It's a riot. It's also a BIG surprise if you open up in PVP with something small & spammy like a longsword and then whip this sucker out when you get pressed...it;s awe-inspiringly beautiful.

I'd add the dancer swords to the 'looking cool as gently caress but doing bugger all damage' list as well, again, split damage makes them appear deceptively good when sorting your inventory by attack rating. At 50/50 str/dex my top 3 seem to be the dranslayer armour axe, black knight greataxe and Yhorm's paper guillotine.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The dancer swords definitely seem worse than the sellsword twinblades (if you have some good dex at least) because the twinblades don't have split damage and their L1s are much faster.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

poptart_fairy posted:

On this subject, which team did DS3? Was it a mix of DS1 and Bloodborne guys? DS3 development started during Bloodborne's development, not to mention SOTFS release and Old Hunters addons.

There are probably multiple teams with a great deal of overlap depending on who's been freed up at the time. There's a sizeable number of people who's worked on every single Soulborne game so far if you look at the credits. About a dozen or so names are across them all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Yeah, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9o0fDUlyw

is pretty cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On this subject, which team did DS3? Was it a mix of DS1 and Bloodborne guys? DS3 development started during Bloodborne's development, not to mention SOTFS release and Old Hunters addons.

There are probably multiple teams with a great deal of overlap depending on who's been freed up at the time. There's a sizeable number of people who's worked on every single Soulborne game so far if you look at the credits. About a dozen or so names are across them all.

This is true and why all the "B team" complaints are bullshit. There is no B team. Just comparing the credits on DS2, Bloodborne, and DS3 makes that really clear.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

But look at all these straight swords for you to use! You want to use straight swords, right?

I'm still pretty :psyduck: at the revalation that the Rapier's variety of Stance art isn't powerful enough to defeat a Hollow's wooden shield.

Meanwhile, I can guard break a Cathedral Greatmace knight with a broken straight sword. I just slowly guard broke and Riposted one to death with a +0 Broken Straight Sword right now to ensure I'm not just making wild exagerations.

I'm still glad the straight swords are so nice, and I love the Stance Art itself. I much prefer the "Normal" weapons being quite viable and not anything but the biggest of animes being a death of a thousand cuts on everything. But there are still plenty of things that fall flat in one regard or another, rather than just having the crime of being "Not Optimal"

Though straight up daggers could have used some love.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 5, 2016

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So Champion Gunder is a hell of a "hope you've been practicing your parry" test.

I've gotten pretty good in the first phase, but he's just so relentless in the second phase. Never have a chance to step back and chug an estus. Where's a blunderbuss when you need it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol PVP is so dumb. I chased a guy for a while slashing him and he'd just drink estus and never die, then after 3 minutes of this, was able to wear me down with a few shots. How stupid is it that a guy can just heal through 3 katana slashes. Fix your game FROM.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ravenfood posted:

Giving mound-makers a shackle if the host gets to the boss fog wall would be a good way to add to the uncertainty if you've got purple phantoms in your world and would somewhat bring back the effect of the small white soapstone.

E: If you get summoned from a purple sign, do you appear on your sign or elsewhere in the world?
Elsewhere. I like to help as a purpbro and invariably the game spawns me in the middle of a group of enemies. It does this to prevent people from summoning and instantly ganking you in the back before you're done with your load in animation, but it's still kind of pants-making GBS threads when you stand up and realize you're surrounded by enemies. Luckily you have a couple of seconds before they notice you and become hostile, but still.

Also if they'd change up purps so that you can't hurt the host once you're inside the boss fog I think that would help some too, nobody wants to get backstabbed in the middle of a boss fight, especially if you're summoning because you've been having trouble solo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually I take back what I said about personally not using a weapon I thought was useless in PvE. When I first got the brigand twindaggers I thought they looked cool as hell but they suck so so so much.

Also on the subject of Bloodborne-ized combat, I mostly like the faster paced combat with a few exceptions. I don't like how easy it is to heal in PvP at all. In the old games it took some times so there was more risk involved, but now its really easy to just roll away and chug. Enemies are so fast and good at chasing in PvE that you need the faster heal there but it doesn't translate well to PvP.

But as far as enemies go? The one thing that really annoys me is enemies with the quick little jab attacks that are barely telegraphed and come out really fast. Those are just annoying and actually hurt if your vigor is low.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 5, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
You know going in I really thought that the ancient dragons would play a bigger role (or indeed any role) in the central narrative, what with the wyverns and the hollows/Iudex Gundyr channeling dragon essence, then again with Oceiros trying to revive them and calling out to an unseen Ocelotte, and once I reached the Archives I knew the big guy himself, Seath the Scaleless would make an appearance...!

But no, they're just mobs. I really thought they were building to something for a while.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
it would be nice on the rare chance I get to be a bluemoon summon to not spawn right next to the evangelist in undead settlement and have my face maced in :argh:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

a shameful boehner posted:

Alright so my build has turned into 50str/30end/30vit/30vig, everything else is 20 or less.

Lately I've had a lot of fun with the FKUGS at +5 - the R1+R1 combo that does an overhead smash then follows with a driving uppercut really catches people off guard and goes through shields. Watching people try to block while I have the Knight Slayer's ring equipped is pretty fun. :v:

What are the best consensus top-tier weapons for a strength build? So far I've been using FKUGS +5, Butcher's Blade +10, Dragonslayer's Greataxe +3, Vordt's Hammer +3, Astora Greatsword +8. So far I like the FKUGS and Butcher's the best.

I don't know if you 2-hand a lot, but I'm a huge fan of the Dragon's Tooth 2-handed moveset. The fact that you can buff it and it does strike damage should be icing on the cake.

Although not as heavy, I'm also digging Red Hilted Halberd (if you mix it up) and Black Knight Sword (if you do mostly 1-handing).

Maybe it's because I'm bad at video games, but I find Perseverance to be really powerful and helpful. Wear some heavy armor (and a Ring of Steel Protection), bait them while you're 2-handing. Instead of parrying or blocking, just pop Perseverance and then swing into their attack. If you don't kill them, you'll ruin their day. You have to watch out for a few things (like them circling around you to backstab), but so far it seems like a pretty effective strat against most players.

You may also really like the Executioner's sword. It does strike damage too, which is pretty baller.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hey, has anyone on PC been putting time into the Farron covenant in NG+? And more importantly, if they've fully ranked in it, would they be willing to spare any leftover swordgrass?
I'm too highly leveled to ever get invasions when I play as that covenant and my god farming those satyr enemies for swordgrass is horrible. I'm running 360 item discovery and I still only get maybe one drop every 25-30 minutes. I desperately do not want to blow 6-8 hours just to get that drat shield.

Edit: poo poo, actually, if any goon got a second great wolf shield for whatever reason I'd be hugely appreciative for that instead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bleremiah posted:

So Champion Gunder is a hell of a "hope you've been practicing your parry" test.

I've gotten pretty good in the first phase, but he's just so relentless in the second phase. Never have a chance to step back and chug an estus. Where's a blunderbuss when you need it.

I didn't parry him at all. v:shobon:v

Dodge roll is life.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I wonder if the crucified beasts have the same necks as the pilgrims for a reason or if its just coincidence

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzAbULtIhs

PVP is pretty enjoyable this time around, I'll be streaming PVP sometime in the evening this week/end as well.

https://www.twitch.tv/flowerygrackle

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Deified Data posted:

You know going in I really thought that the ancient dragons would play a bigger role (or indeed any role) in the central narrative, what with the wyverns and the hollows/Iudex Gundyr channeling dragon essence, then again with Oceiros trying to revive them and calling out to an unseen Ocelotte, and once I reached the Archives I knew the big guy himself, Seath the Scaleless would make an appearance...!

But no, they're just mobs. I really thought they were building to something for a while.

The game has two expansions this year, I'll be surprised if we don't see any significant bosses lore-wise. I'm hoping for more DS2 connections than anything else.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

What's a good method for practicing parrying, anyway? I've never been able to be even adequate at it in any dark souls game. Do I just have to get out there with a decent parrying shield and take the dozens of deaths until I finally start to master it or is there some trick to the timing?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I didn't parry him at all. v:shobon:v

Dodge roll is life.

I played without a shield to parry with so no one got parried. Carthus Bloodring + rolling is way better than having to learn the parry on every new enemy you encounter.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

InequalityGodzilla posted:

What's a good method for practicing parrying, anyway? I've never been able to be even adequate at it in any dark souls game. Do I just have to get out there with a decent parrying shield and take the dozens of deaths until I finally start to master it or is there some trick to the timing?

Generally, yeah. It's more muscle memory and timing than anything else.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Generally, yeah. It's more muscle memory and timing than anything else.

Hoo boy. This is gonna suck.

I think the main problem is I played so much Metal Gear Rising that my parry timing is intrinsically linked to that game and those two skill sets don't overlap at all.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
I absolutely love the battle theme music for Abyss Watchers and the Dragonslayer Armor. It just fits so well for each fight.

Curiously, are any XB1 users having issues still getting summoned? I put down my sign and constantly find myself sitting for 10+ minutes with "Summoning" and then it fails after a minute with "Unable to join session".

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Does anyone have a set of slider values to make a good patches-alike? I have a plan, but I am not good at character creation.

Edit:
Regarding healing in DS3, I wouldn't mind if they slowed the heal rate on estus down to lifegem rate or even slower. That way you can still get your chugs off in PvE and it's fine as long as you don't immediately eat another hit, but in PvP it would give time for your opponent to get in a finish you off (though something else would need to be done about the whole "run in a circle forever" thing. I dunno what could be done there though... making most running attacks faster with a bit more lunge to them?)

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 5, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What helped me parry was looking at the stamina bar when parrying. No idea if this is true or not, but the start of the parry seems to coincide with your stamina going away, which helps you know how early to do it.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I can't imagine practicing to parry boss attacks. Seems like everything does such extreme damage to you that it'd be stupid to even attempt it if you don't know ahead of time that it's possible.

Same with Gwyn from Dark Souls 1, but at least he had the same swing timings as silver knights so you could actually go back and practice on their 3-hit combos.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

meaning?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Digirat posted:

What helped me parry was looking at the stamina bar when parrying. No idea if this is true or not, but the start of the parry seems to coincide with your stamina going away, which helps you know how early to do it.

That's helpful, at least. I assume I'm trying to match the enemy's weapon impacting with the start of the parry?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cyberventurer posted:

I can't imagine practicing to parry boss attacks.

Just got to do it for 2 hours straight and you're set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDsIStC0hio

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Whats the general consensus SL to PVP on?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A lot of people do it at around 100.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I started a STRONGMAN using vordt's hammer and OH BOY is it fun. I think later on I'm going to transfer to Morne's hammer cause it looks loving awful and has a neat ability. I'm having much more fun than I had on my dex guy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

ornstein cosplay for the nameless king trip report:

Dragonslayer Spear kind of sucks against the dragon

what's it like in opposites world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm in offline mode, but I keep getting summoned as a blue spirit to other worlds.

What happen?