Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SystemLogoff posted:

If you have another Samsung, you can smartswitch over to that samsung so it copies the appdata.

Otherwise, uh... Does Samsung Keis still work?

I haven't tried it myself, but Smart Switch does have the option to transfer via sd card so that might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Just bought a Nexus 6P. My Note 3 is on it's last legs, so I'm excited for a new device. People are still recommending it as a top-5 Android device, yeah?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Just bought a Nexus 6P. My Note 3 is on it's last legs, so I'm excited for a new device. People are still recommending it as a top-5 Android device, yeah?
Absolutely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh HTC, never change with your special snowflake regional handsets.

Their decision to use a Snapdragon 625 instead of the 820 in the Chinese market for the HTC 10 had resulted in just 251 preorders.

http://phandroid.com/2016/05/05/htc-10-pre-sale-data-china/

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Oh HTC, never change with your special snowflake regional handsets.

Their decision to use a Snapdragon 625 instead of the 820 in the Chinese market for the HTC 10 had resulted in just 251 preorders.

http://phandroid.com/2016/05/05/htc-10-pre-sale-data-china/

They've really botched the pre-order poo poo elsewhere too. Some people won't get theirs until the end of may and they ordered the day it opened up.

I was going to pick one up at a Verizon corporate store (Devices/my plan are free through my company so no I'm not shelling out for a Nexus) and they refused to sell me one because it hadn't launched according to them. I called their corporate office who then called the store and said whoa what the gently caress. The store told me they didn't have any in stock and were sorry about the confusion. Just unbelievable how much of a cluster gently caress this all is.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but Smart Switch does have the option to transfer via sd card so that might work.

I've found the option and got a big enough SD card to back up. Can anyone specifically confirm that smart switch backs up app data? I can't find specifically what it transfers anywhere.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I got a 5x as an upgrade from the Turbo and I can confirm, its a cool phone. The fingerprint sensor kinda wowed me with how fast it unlocks the phone. I'm enjoying it.

I'll still contend that getting the Moto X right as it came out was by and far the best android phone/experience I've ever had. That thing had so much charm.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

BurritoJustice posted:

I've found the option and got a big enough SD card to back up. Can anyone specifically confirm that smart switch backs up app data? I can't find specifically what it transfers anywhere.

When you do it it should let you choose what you want to back up, one of them is apps and app data.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Searching the Google help forum and contacting Project Fi support, this seems to be a known issue with no known solution: I can't send a text via "OK Google" voice commands anymore. Texting works fine otherwise, the voice commands recognize my recipients and transcribe the message correctly and everything, it just fails with "message couldn't be sent". Tried with both Messenger and Hangouts set as the default SMS app. Nexus 5X on Marshmallow, fully updated. Search results just turn up a bunch of people who say the problem comes and goes. Anyone fixed this?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I just signed up for Fi and ordered my discounted 5X, which means now I need to grab some USB C cables and adapters. Are there any good places to get them cheap or should I just order them off the Play store?

Also I assume I'll need a new car charger? Or can I just get one of the USB-C to USB-A cables and use the USB/cigarette lighter charger I already have?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 6, 2016

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

Its the best phone I've ever owned, easily.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I had an idea while I was in the shower and I have no idea how to implement it. I get ideas all the time (or remember something I was supposed to do) while in the shower but I almost always forget by the time I get out and get dressed. I want to be able to yell something like one of the 'ok google' commands and have it respond, whether it's to send myself an email or make a note to do something. Short of mounting some android device to the ceiling outside the bathroom, is there any way to do something like that?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

two_beer_bishes posted:

I had an idea while I was in the shower and I have no idea how to implement it. I get ideas all the time (or remember something I was supposed to do) while in the shower but I almost always forget by the time I get out and get dressed. I want to be able to yell something like one of the 'ok google' commands and have it respond, whether it's to send myself an email or make a note to do something. Short of mounting some android device to the ceiling outside the bathroom, is there any way to do something like that?

If they ever come out with a waterproof android wear watch, that should be the first thing you buy.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Great idea, I'll be watching for that!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Notes-Wa...shower+notebook

Low tech, but effective. I have one and love it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Alternaively, Bluetooth Shower Speaker? There's dozens of them on Amazon, and the vast majority of them have microphones.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

maltesh posted:

Alternaively, Bluetooth Shower Speaker? There's dozens of them on Amazon, and the vast majority of them have microphones.

:stare: WHAT?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the one I have and the majority of what i looked at allowed you to receive calls, necessitating a mic

it was like $8 usd

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

XIII posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Notes-Wa...shower+notebook

Low tech, but effective. I have one and love it.

LMAO, how the hell is this a thing.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maltesh posted:

im glad the boys back in mountain view r the nsa or whaytever get to hear my epic renditions of "thats amore" every single loving morning

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Fister posted:

LMAO, how the hell is this a thing.

People need to take notes in humid environments, outside in the rain or while diving. There's a definite need for something no-tech that is 100% water proof to write on.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Have Android handsets stolen the great innovation from Apple of putting the NFC antenna at the top of the phone? I hate sliding my phone around when trying to pay to figure out where the terminals antenna is. I have a Nexus 5, so my antenna is pretty much right in the middle.

I'm hoping to upgrade to a Nexus with an 820 SoC this year. I've already replaced the screen and the power switch and my volume down switch is starting to go now. Also, the battery is almost worthless at this point since it was a launch preorder 5.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The 6P has it on the top of the phone, in the black bar :shrug:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AFAICT the NFC antenna on the 5x is also along the top, or at least I only need to point the top at the reader when paying for stuff.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I haven't followed the thread for a while so sorry if this has been covered. My Moto E got the update to Android 6.0 like a month a go and it gained a lot of performance issues that weren't present before. It usually happens when I haven't been using the phone for a while and after unlocking the phone it can be very sluggish and even unresponsive for more than ten minutes. Once or twice it's been a real hassle trying to answer an incoming call which is very annoying. I tried the adaptive memory (?) thing with the SD card for a bit, but since I got some errors during the formatting phase I pretty quickly turned it off. The battery usage seems the same as before except Wifi has appeared on the list and seems to be main consumer of power. Currently it shows 90% battery usage, with phone on standby following at 24%, which doesn't make any sense. Since the battery life seems to be pretty much the same I assumed it just wasn't reporting it before the update.

Anyone have any ideas what I could do with this? I should be running pretty much the same apps as before the update.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

They tend to offer hands free calling as well as just being a speaker.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

If they ever come out with a waterproof android wear watch, that should be the first thing you buy.

There are already several waterproof Android Wear devices and Android phones? :confused:

Once you have that, the command is "OK Google, take a note".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

There are already several waterproof Android Wear devices and Android phones? :confused:

Once you have that, the command is "OK Google, take a note".
None of them are actually usable in the shower, however, because they do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0Y0YKs74c

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003
I've been wanting to give VR a try ever since reading about the Oculus Rift a couple years ago, but at $600 it seems pretty steep.

I have an Asus Zenfone 2, and have heard about Google Cardboard basic VR headsets, but from what I've read it's not a very good implementation of VR. I've heard that the Samsung Gear VR is quite a bit more like the real thing (though still not up to the Oculus Rift), but it requires at minimum a Samsung Galaxy S6, which would cost me maybe $335 or so for a used one with new case and screen protector, and probably another $65 at least for the Gear VR, but I could recoup some of that by selling my Asus Zenfone 2. I'm not a very sophisticated phone user, and would just be getting the phone for its Samsung Gear VR compatibility.

So should I:
1) buy one of those cheapo Google Cardboard VR headsets, even though I've heard they're kinda crap
2) Buy a used Samsung Galaxy S6 and Gear VR, and sell my Asus Zenfone 2
3) Just save up my money and at some point spend the $600 on the real deal, an Oculus Rift
?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Mango posted:

So should I:
1) buy one of those cheapo Google Cardboard VR headsets, even though I've heard they're kinda crap
2) Buy a used Samsung Galaxy S6 and Gear VR, and sell my Asus Zenfone 2
3) Just save up my money and at some point spend the $600 on the real deal, an Oculus Rift
?
What do you want to do with VR? These three things are not really the same product category at all. Cardboard is a thing you use to show Street View to your mum, Rift/Vive are full-blown gaming platforms, and Gear is, well, I really have no idea but I suspect it's a pretty decent product that nobody will make any software for.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

What do you want to do with VR? These three things are not really the same product category at all. Cardboard is a thing you use to show Street View to your mum, Rift/Vive are full-blown gaming platforms, and Gear is, well, I really have no idea but I suspect it's a pretty decent product that nobody will make any software for.

Just goof around with VR. Watch some movies in what appears to be a really big-rear end movie theater, do one of those sims where I ride a VR rollercoaster and then freak out and nearly fall out of my chair, etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like you're getting a Rift!

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds like you're getting a Rift!

I'm pretty sure I prefer having $600 to having a Rift though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I too want things I can't afford. :sadpeanut:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tilt Brush really makes me want a HTC Vive even though I'm not close to being an artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckqNdrdbgk

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Google cardboard (or the superior viewmaster version) are great for street view, photo spheres, and 360° YouTube videos. You wouldn't want it for a full length movie.

Rumor has it a new version of the viewmaster is coming out soon based on Google's latest iteration of the cardboard spec. So, get the cheapest thing and see what happens at I/O.

Related: I just got a Ricoh Theta S spherical camera and it is awesome!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a 6P and I really don't like that when I press up or down on the volume button that it controls the ring volume of my phone. Is there any way to make it so that it just adjusts the system / media volume instead of the ring volume?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Busy Bee posted:

I have a 6P and I really don't like that when I press up or down on the volume button that it controls the ring volume of my phone. Is there any way to make it so that it just adjusts the system / media volume instead of the ring volume?

Pretty sure there is, have you checked in volume controls? If not, Tasker will let you designate what the buttons do/don't do.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If any media or music is playing that's exactly what they do anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is there a way to adjust call volume outside of a call?