Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

RBC posted:

If you're opposed to climate change it's a good thing fort mac burned to the ground and the people that lived there and made money hand over fist from destroying the planet deserve their houses to be burned to the ground.

People need to harden the gently caress up and realize taking a stand means being militant in your beliefs because this is a goddamn war.

actually

quote:

Kevin Libin: Oil didn’t cause the Fort McMurray fire — it helped save people’s lives

:wow:

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/kevin-libin-oil-didnt-cause-the-fort-mcmurray-fire-it-helped-save-peoples-lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Be uncreeped

flakeloaf posted:

Oh yeah he totally said that and the apology's a load. Also how I managed to beat you on an onpol story is kind of creeping me out man.

Ikantski posted:

Today in Ontario politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTcBZnl9Rc

Reevely: Bob Chiarelli denies he said Andrea Horwath 'pees all over the map'

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

The war where we post hot takes on the internet.

I've been on the front lines for years. You wouldn't believe the poo poo I've seen.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You guys are weird. Have some visual data.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
The fire in Fort MacMurray is worthy of addition to a SimCity2000 disaster scenario expansion

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gorewar posted:

The fire in Fort MacMurray is worthy of addition to a SimCity2000 disaster scenario expansion

Meanwhile, after cutting funding to the Forestry Service...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those menacing lines are closing in on the city!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ikantski posted:

Be uncreeped

Phew. I must've lost it while scrolling through irrelevant bullshit.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I'm with RBC - you have to take a stand. That's why I use the "dark low power" theme on my phone. Every minute of battery life saved is another middle finger to our enemy.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Gorewar posted:

The firestorm scenarios are scrub tier

Try Manhattan :stare:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Now is not the time to talk about parallel line change. This is a crisis!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Baronjutter posted:

Magician's Red, what have you done :gonk:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Oil: The cause of.. And solution to all of life's problems

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Phew. I must've lost it while scrolling through irrelevant bullshit.

It's been a very progressive week in Ontario, I need to up my segue game so y'all don't miss any news about what you (statistically) voted for.

Speaking of provinces burning to the ground, hydro rates went up another 5% on Sunday. OPP opened a brand new investigation into the OLP for deleting all records of an offshore wind project, Wynne still refuses to disclose any details about her MPPs sexual harassment, Patrick Brown polled better approval ratings than Wynne and we just sold the LCBO headquarters for 8.5 days of debt interest relief.

quote:

Ontario has sold off the LCBO’s Toronto headquarters for $260 million.

Finance Minister Charles Sousa announced Thursday that the Grits have secured the multi-million dollar deal with Menkes Developments Ltd. for the 11-acre piece of waterfront land.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Ikantski posted:

It's been a very progressive week in Ontario, I need to up my segue game so y'all don't miss any news about what you (statistically) voted for.

Speaking of provinces burning to the ground, hydro rates went up another 5% on Sunday. OPP opened a brand new investigation into the OLP for deleting all records of an offshore wind project, Wynne still refuses to disclose any details about her MPPs sexual harassment, Patrick Brown polled better approval ratings than Wynne and we just sold the LCBO headquarters for 8.5 days of debt interest relief.

:( can't there be a middle ground between rampant corporate cronyism and tea party psychosis that seeks to kill the civil service outright?

Meanwhile the NDP leader is having a meltdown over a statement that would be exceedingly hard to construe as sexist because apparently she hopes the coveted tumblr demographic will be what finally gives her the boost she needs.

gently caress this province god.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Horwath is such a terrible leader. I renewed my NDP membership specifically so I could get elected as a delegate and vote against her in the leadership review during the last convention. While I was at the convention the anger against her was palpable on the floor but many people said they would vote for her anyway because they wanted to focus on preparing for the upcoming federal election :downsgun:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

Horwath is such a terrible leader. I renewed my NDP membership specifically so I could get elected as a delegate and vote against her in the leadership review during the last convention. While I was at the convention the anger against her was palpable on the floor but many people said they would vote for her anyway because they wanted to focus on preparing for the upcoming federal election :downsgun:

Yeah, this is "getting involved with the ndp.txt"

I've had some friends locally who got involved on both the federal and provincial level and it resulted in most of them becoming almost CI levels of hate towards the party and one guy going full Koolaid. He'll vocally support absolutely anything the ndp does and do the most insane mental gymnastics to excuse everything bad. I don't get people like that, do they honestly believe that hard, do they think they have to be "on point" all the time in full marketing mode 24/7 ? It's absolutely impossible to have any sort of political conversation with them because the answer is always just a regurgitation of what ever the latest ndp soundbite is and russian nationalist levels of intellectual dishonesty when defending the honour of their party.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I've had some friends locally who got involved on both the federal and provincial level and it resulted in most of them becoming almost CI levels of hate towards the party and one guy going full Koolaid. He'll vocally support absolutely anything the ndp does and do the most insane mental gymnastics to excuse everything bad. I don't get people like that, do they honestly believe that hard, do they think they have to be "on point" all the time in full marketing mode 24/7 ? It's absolutely impossible to have any sort of political conversation with them because the answer is always just a regurgitation of what ever the latest ndp soundbite is and russian nationalist levels of intellectual dishonesty when defending the honour of their party.

Look, the thing you have to understand is

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

fyi this is getting involved with any political party.txt

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Air Canada accidentally got in trouble lmao.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2682450/fort-mcmurray-fire-air-canada-to-offer-partial-refunds-for-people-fleeing-wildfire/

Whoops!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Meanwhile westjest apparently just donated capacity gratis to help people get out of there

gently caress Air Canada so much

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

http://www.onionstudios.com/videos/breaking-news-series-of-concentric-circles-emanating-from-glowing-red-dot-1146

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Another Eastern company screwing the west again. Maybe the west should refuse to participate with the Bombardier $1Billion free ride from the Federal Government....Air Canada may have to pay more for each and every jet they purchase....and still lose business in the west from arrogance. Time to call Public Relations AC!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In word yet on whether Uber was charging surge pricing during the evacuation?

:can:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
WestJet flights were apparently chartered by oil companies, not given as an act of charity.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A computer that automatically raises the price of a thing lots of people try to buy automatically raised the price of a thing lots of people were trying to buy. Therefore, assholes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't think it's malicious. Mistakes happen. That said I'm surprised there isn't emergency pricing management built in given some jurisdictions have price gouging laws.

e: and even if they don't, the bad press probably isn't worth the extra fare hikes

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Victim mentality

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Paging all those people who thought computers would make the best unbiased bosses.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

If anything Air Canada probably contracted out the implementation of the computerized pricing system and no Air Canada employee knows how it actually works.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:nallears:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Lmao "a city where stupidity isn't tolerated"

What do all you "tough on crime" people think of this one?

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2016/05/06/sentence-ending-for-medicine-hat-woman-who-murdered-her-family-when-she-was-12.html

quote:

MEDICINE HAT, Alta. — A young woman convicted in the horrific murder of her mother, father and 8-year-old brother a decade ago will take the final step to full freedom today.

The woman is now 22, but can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

She was convicted along with her then-boyfriend of the triple murder in the family’s Medicine Hat home in April 2006. She's believed to be the youngest person ever convicted of a multiple murder in Canada.

A judge will conduct her final sentence review in a Medicine Hat courtroom on Friday.

Her 10-year youth sentence expires tomorrow.

The young woman's previous reviews have been positive and she has been referred to as a "poster child for rehabilitation."

All curfews were removed last summer. She's been living on her own and attending university in Calgary.

J.R. was convicted of three counts of first-degree murder and sentenced to the maximum 10-year youth sentence in 2007. The sentence included four years in a psychiatric institution and 4 1/2 years under conditional supervision in the community.

Her former boyfriend, Jeremy Steinke, who was 23 at the time of the killings, is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole for 25 years.

The Crown argued she and Steinke concocted a plan to kill the girl's parents because they disapproved of the 10-year age gap between him and the girl.

It was suggested the crime was loosely based on Steinke's favourite movie Natural Born Killers, Oliver Stone's twisted love story about a pair of young serial killers who get their start by killing the girl's parents.

Steinke admitted in court that he stabbed the mother and the father after he snuck into the family's home. But he argued that he did not plan the killings.

He said he attacked the mother, who was wearing only a nightgown, after she turned on a light and found him huddled in the darkened basement.

She screamed. Her husband came running with a small screwdriver and rushed Steinke. The man died in a fighter's stance, his arms still raised above him with loose fists in a room splashed with blood.

Steinke steadfastly maintained the boy's death came at the hands of the girl.

At trial, police officers and other witnesses became emotional as they recalled seeing the body of the small boy, found on his bed with a deep slash to his throat, his eyes and mouth wide open. Stuffed animals and a toy light sabre spattered with the boy's blood could be seen next to his body.

Steinke and the girl were arrested in Leader, Sask., about a 90-minute drive away, the day after the bodies were found.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
She was 13 being abused by a 23 year old and this:

quote:

The young woman's previous reviews have been positive and she has been referred to as a "poster child for rehabilitation."

makes me largely ok with it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sounds like she was a child who was coerced into doing horrible things by a sex criminal. He should rot.

Also I'd forgotten the image of an eight year old boy trying to fight off his sister's knife-wielding pervert loser boyfriend with a plastic light saber :(

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

Good Friday morning to you.

There’s not much good news for evacuated residents of Fort McMurray. The blaze that sent them fleeing Tuesday now covers 850 sq. km and last night, Premier Rachel Notley said people should be prepared for a long wait, as it’s not possible or responsible to speculate on when it might be safe to return home. “But we do know it will not be a matter of days.” She has promised financial support for those who are displaced. North of Fort McMurray, nearly 4,000 workers trapped in oilfield work camps were being flown out to Edmonton and Calgary yesterday, as the only highway south remained closed because flames kept jumping across it. More are expected to be flown out today.

In the House of Commons yesterday, the government vowed to match donations to the Canadian Red Cross, while in Alberta, some who have fled the wildfires were questioning whether local and provincial authorities could have done a better job of co-ordinating evacuation efforts. In Calgary, Syrian refugees were stepping up to help those who have had to flee their homes. Said one: 'We understand what they're feeling'

In all of this, some have taken to pinning the wildfires on climate change. Here’s our editorial on why that’s a bad idea.

Switching gears, the Canada Revenue Agency has obtained “tens of thousands of records” concerning Canadians with offshore accounts linked to the Panama Papers and is about to get years worth of records from the Royal Bank of Canada, Commissioner Andrew Treusch told MPs yesterday. Our Elizabeth Thompson has more on the investigation that’s underway.

“Everything is possible.” So says Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion, who’s not ruling out presenting a plan for Canada to sign the UN’s International Arms Trade Treaty before the summer. “I would have liked that to be done a while ago but it’s complex and my people are working very hard to make sure when we announce the timeline, it will be realistic, that this committee will be able to deliver in the time mentioned.” Our Amanda Connolly has that story from the House of Commons’ foreign affairs committee.

At the urging of NDP MP Charlie Angus and the head of Attawapiskat First Nation, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has sent a letter to Chief Bruce Shisheesh to offer a meeting in Ottawa to discuss the community’s suicide crisis. "I am deeply concerned with the ongoing situation in your community and with the urgency and gravity of this situation in mind, I am unhesitatingly willing to accept your offer to meet," he wrote.

If Bombardier wants to land a US$1 billion bailout from Ottawa, the Montreal-based aerospace giant is going to have to keep its head office parked in Canada and maintain R&D. That’s the word from Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains as negotiations continue between the government and the firm.

President’s Choice pot? Don’t rule it out. Galen G. Weston, the head of the country’s largest drugstore and grocery chain, [url=http://ipolitics.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=294c506fbf8132b713e48388f&id=fe6183449f&e=408233c140wants in on the medical marijuana business and says pharmacists are well-positioned[/url] to dispense the drug in a safe manner.

Still with foodstuff: The Conservatives think they have an answer to former Conservative minister Bev Oda’s infamous $16 orange juice incident with Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland’s taxpayer-expensed stop-over in Los Angeles last fall. Our BJ Siekierski looks at efforts to squeeze it for all it’s worth.

Turning to another trip, when Justin Trudeau headed to Washington in March, he took a small army with him, including his mother and his wife’s parents. In all, 44 people were in tow at a cost of $25,000. That’s so far: as Joan Bryden reports, not all of the invoices and claims for the trip have come in yet.

Now that the FDA has snuffed out sales of electronic cigarettes to anyone under 18, and banned free samples and selling them in vending machines, what’s gonna happen north of the border? As our Kyle Duggan found out, health policy experts are hazy on whether the federal government will follow suit.

He speaks! Although Sen. Mike Duffy has been publicly silent for the better part of two and a half years and not had a word to say to reporters since returning to the Hill, he uttered his first words yesterday at the Senate's legal and constitutional affairs committee.

Aaaaand it’s come to this. Much like a school kid tattling to a teacher, Conservative MP Blake Richards rose in the House yesterday to call out Justin Trudeau for sticking out his tongue. The representative for Banff-Airdrie accused the prime minister of "taunting" and "making faces at other members of Parliament." The Conservatives complaining about childish behaviour in the House. It’s all a bit rich, no? Rule one of the sandbox: if you dish it out, you’ve got to expect its going to come your way as well.

And then there’s ‘pee-gate’ at Queens Park, where New Democrat Leader Andrea Horwath is demanding that Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli be fired for comments directed at her that she calls sexist and misogynist. Apparently stating that she "pees all over the map" on energy issues might not have been the best call.

Here and there:
  • Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan meets with soldiers at CFB Valcartier, near Quebec City and in Montreal.
  • The Parti Quebecois caucus meets to choose its interim leader.
  • Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visits the Greenwood Subway Yard in Toronto and holds a media availability.
  • Finance Minister Bill Morneau holds a media availability with Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie before touring Therapure Biopharma Inc.
  • Federal Science Minister Kirsty Duncan makes a national funding announcement for organizations working with young Canadians to promote an understanding of science and engineering.
  • Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Minister Ralph Goodale and Canadian Red Cross president and CEO Conrad Sauve hold a media availability in Toronto following the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding to enhance collaboration between the two organizations.
  • Goodale will also hold day-long meetings with his provincial and territorial counterparts to talk about working together to strengthen emergency management in Canada.
  • Statistics Canada releases the labour force survey for April and the stocks of principal field crops ending March 31.
  • Bank of Canada deputy governor Lawrence Schembri will participate in a panel discussion at a conference. The topic of the panel is The Role of Central Banks in Financial Stability: Lessons to Date and the Way Forward.
  • Question period in the House of Commons gets underway at 11:15 a.m.

“At least 28 people are reported to have been killed in an air strike on a refugee camp in rebel-held northern Syria, monitors say. Images on social media showed tents destroyed at the Kamouna camp near Sarmada in Idlib province, close to the Turkish border. Some reports say the attack was by Syrian or Russian warplanes but this has not been confirmed.” The BBC has more.

As leader Kim Jong-un seeks to cement his status and chart a vision for the future, North Korea is putting on what’s being called a once-in-a-generation political event. It’s the first party congress in decades, which will see thousands of delegates meet for a choreographed show of support being seen as an unofficial coronation. Not surprisingly, there’s no shortage of secrecy around it all.

In Featured Opinion this morning:
  • This is probably going to go on for a while: superannuated Harper cabinet ministers taking out their frustrations in QP, or in the pages of the National Post. Joe Oliver used Postmedia's tottering flagship paper recently to issue a dire warning to Justin Trudeau: Stop reversing our government's policies, or face the wrath of a noble nation aroused. To which Michael Harris replies: You and what army, Joe? Can the Conservatives turn the page on 2015 and rebuild in time for the next election if they can't stop themselves from picking at old scabs? Not likely.
  • Speaking of politicians haunted by the past: With her poll numbers circling the drain, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne certainly didn't need news breaking of yet another OPP probe of possible record-shredding within the Liberal government. Tasha Kheiriddin says Wynne faces the same no-win situation that Stephen Harper created for himself with the Duffy scandal.
  • Our iPolitics editorial board sticks a pin in the swelling sense of schadenfreude in some circles over the tragic Fort McMurray wildfires: You can't blame a single natural disaster on climate change, and doing so puts you in the same category with the so-called 'skeptics' who point to every early frost as evidence that climate change isn't happening.

Finally this morning, to mark Cinco De Mayo, Donald Trump ate a taco bowl and professed his love for Hispanics. Surely all was cool after that? All previous nastiness was water under the salsa bowl? Not for Full Frontal host Samantha Bee, who struck back at his panderfest, fork in hand.

With that, have yourself a great day.

International

Islamist rebels seize village near Aleppo, 73 killed: monitor (Reuters)
UK Elections: SNP claim third win as Labour suffers losses (BBC News)
Exclusive: Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: 'To stop Clinton' - poll (Reuters)

National

Investigation of Panama Papers, RBC offshore clients underway: CRA (iPolitics)
Trudeau invited 44 people, including mom, to accompany him to Washington (Canadian Press)
Conservatives trying to turn Freeland LA trip into a $16 orange juice moment (iPolitics)
Justin Trudeau to meet Attawapiskat chief in the wake of more suicide attempts (CBC News)
Trudeau appoints new national security advisor (Ottawa Citizen)
Mike Duffy talks abortion access in 1st words since return (CBC News)
Senate committee moves to make Senators disclose more about their expenses (Postmedia News)
Door-to-door delivery up for debate as Liberals order review of Canada Post (Canadian Press)

Atlantic

Halifax Citadel, Point Pleasant Park tower to get upgrades this summer (CBC News)
Midwives could soon be part of P.E.I. health-care system (CBC News)
Nova Scotia shouldn't push to control salaries for judges, critics say (CBC News)

Ontario

NDP demands energy minister Bob Chiarelli be fired for 'misogynist' comments (CBC News)
Rural councillors call for greater voice in wind farm deals (CBC News)
Ontario school boards will be forced to pay developer-level prices for surplus properties (The Globe and Mail)

Prairies

Decision coming on $281M surplus held by Workers Comp. in Sask. (CBC News)
Sask. government defends $180K bill for GTH land deal documents (CBC News)

Alberta

Return to Fort McMurray after wildfire devastation 'will not be a matter of days' (Edmonton Journal)
Canadian wildfire edges south, leaves thousands stranded (Reuters)

North

Nunavut contributes $25K to help victims of Fort McMurray wildfire (CBC News)
Yukon's revamped mental health strategy to first focus on children, families (CBC News)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That damned political correctness treating Jack Maclaren unfairly

(Ha, I also scooped Iktanski on Ontario politics)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Justin Trudeau doesn't want to talk about climate change because he is going to approve Trans Mountain, Northern Gateway and Energy East.

quote:

But Trudeau went on right away to caution anyone against trying “to make a political argument out of one particular disaster.” He must have meant connecting the dots from Fort McMurray as the oil sands capital, to fossil-fuel burning as the main cause of climate change, to forest fires. Yet it’s not clear, at least not to me, how talking about that science automatically amounts to advancing a political argument.

It wouldn’t be political point-scoring, for instance, to quote from a 2004 academic report, published in the not-especially political journal Geophysical Research Letters, that begins: “The area burned by forest fires in Canada has increased over the past four decades, at the same time as summer season temperatures have warmed.” The paper, written by University of Victoria and Canadian government researchers, concludes that “human-induced climate change has had a detectable influence on the area burned by forest fires in Canada over recent decades.”

It isn’t just that climate change will result in more bad fires in the future—it’s already been happening for decades. This is worth considering when you consider how Trudeau framed the issue today. “There have always been fires, there have always been floods,” he said. “Pointing at any one incident and saying, ‘This is because of that,’ is neither helpful nor entirely accurate.”

I haven’t heard anyone claim that the Fort McMurray fire was directly and only attributable to climate change. If somebody did, that sure wouldn’t be helpful or accurate. But it would be helpful and accurate to mention that the International Panel on Climate Change’s 2014 summary report for policy-makers asserted with “high confidence” that North America is in for more “wildfire-induced loss of ecosystem integrity, property loss, human morbidity, and mortality as a result of increased drying trend and temperature trend.”

The Prime Minister urged us to think, not about those trends, but about the dire human situation at hand. “We need to separate a pattern over time from any one event,” he said. “What we are focused right now on is giving the people of Fort McMurray and across Alberta the kind of support they need right now, and in the months and, indeed, years ahead as we all rebuild.”

The immediate needs of the people of Fort McMurray must of course be the government’s focus right now. But, since Trudeau mentions a timeline stretching out over years, it’s hard not to contemplate the permanently more threatening situation faced by Fort Mac and any Canadian town surrounded by trees. “The predictions for the future are that the fire season is going to become longer, it’s going to start earlier, and the fires are going to be more severe,” David Andison, an adjunct forestry professor at University of British Columbia, told me.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 6, 2016

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

Justin Trudeau doesn't want to talk about climate change because he is going to approve Trans Mountain, Northern Gateway and Energy East.

I've been trying to decide if the Fort McMurray fire would factor into the political calculus of pipeline(s) approval.

I don't think it will and these pipelines will still be approved, unless Liberal focus grouping/polling tells them Canadian attitudes re: pipelines have been changed as well.

E: would love to hear what other people think.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 6, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't think they care what the public's attitude is. They're a done deal as far as our rulers are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Thank you for keeping us up to date on this critical ongoing linchpin of Ontario politics.