Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Doom 3 is good.

Once you get out of the intro, you can basically hold down sprint and run from one encounter to the next and stay right in the sweet spot of constant shooting action. It's actually pretty impressive considering the tech (and it's limitations) at the time, and to this day I think the enemies all animate really well. I still enjoy pausing to watch a hell knight lumber down a mars space station corridor with its shadow cast dramatically on one wall.

Plus there's plenty of callbacks to previous Doom aesthetics, including trademark hexagonal brown tiles and green sludge. Then there's the Hell levels, with their moving geometry and extremely oppressive atmosphere, and mix of organic skeletal forms with stone and iron.

All of it is a fine inclusion in the series and I can only assume anyone who doesn't like it is a big dumb baby who can't play games correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Doom3 is a bunch of fun, and particularly well done for the time. I really like some of the map designs. Hell particularly wouldn't need much of an update to look graphically awesome now.

Can't say I rated resurrection of evil, though. It felt like a bunch of badly fan made maps, some of them not big enough for the monsters to spawn in.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah it is a good game but it missed the spirit of the first two Doom games which was basically run around shooting dozens of demons. The first two games weren't horror games that you had to walk around and shine a torch in dark areas with. There was a big disconnect in intent I feel. It is id's baby but they took it in a weird direction that nobody was expecting really. Doom 4 seems to be back to basics.

It's a bit like how Alien and Aliens are different, people like both but you get a bunch who prefer the action of the latter, over the horror of the first.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm glad there's no reloading.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol at all you guys melting down because a game is good.

Stanley Pain posted:

It's going to be a very tepid bowl of mediocre.

My current guess is that its going to be better than Rage was, so that's cool, but still nothing amazing that we ever play again after a few months.

Still, it comes out on my birthday and its loving Doom, and the level designs seem pretty cool looking at least, so I'll probably buy it anyways just cuz.

fishmech posted:

I'm glad there's no reloading.

Me too buddy.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a bit like how Alien and Aliens are different, people like both but you get a bunch who prefer the action of the latter, over the horror of the first.

This is a good way of putting it.

And the thing is, half-life is specifically based on the idea of that kind of Alien style doom more than the Aliens style doom. (GabeN was never very good at doom and played it more like a horror game.)

But most of us want the Aliens side of things. There's lots of games that do the Alien thing and lots of games that do the COD thing, but nobody does the classic doom thing anymore.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 5, 2016

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

This looks like it's going to be a decent game going by the gameplay trailers. Seems to quite often have a number of enemies and more importantly, you loving run around to fight instead of popping in and out of cover.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is going to be... a game.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
I thought the darkness was the least of Doom 3's problems. The enemies were more annoying than threatening and just slapped your camera around. There wasn't any memorable music, it didn't have to be metal ripoffs but it was all just ambience. The early game guns were unsatisfying and by late game you could just hose everything down with the plasma rifle and chaingun. And there were lame level gimmicks like the crane game and the tram.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tony Montana posted:

There is no story, it's been said multiple times it's never been a focus of Doom.

Dude there's like four whole pages of story!

More seriously, Doom actually had a great amount of story. Just enough to feel like there actually was a beginning, middle, and end to shooting demons in the face.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Deakul posted:

This is going to be... a game.
a retard

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Please MP be good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don't sign your posts.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

I thought the darkness was the least of Doom 3's problems. The enemies were more annoying than threatening and just slapped your camera around. There wasn't any memorable music, it didn't have to be metal ripoffs but it was all just ambience. The early game guns were unsatisfying and by late game you could just hose everything down with the plasma rifle and chaingun. And there were lame level gimmicks like the crane game and the tram.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHAqT0XOog8

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I replayed Doom 3 a couple months ago and the first 2/3 of the game is boring and bad. The last third is mostly fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pablo Gigante posted:

Don't sign your posts.
I didn't include the 4 so it wasn't

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Please do not be rude.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

echronorian posted:

Read masters of doom. It's a terrible book by book standards but simultaneously the best book ever written about video games. It covers the birth of an industry, cybersports, egotism, but mostly it covers uneducated nerds fumbling into a runaway success. The way Eidos handled Romero is pretty much exactly what you see with kick-starters except the fans are the dumb investors throwing money at the screen. Doom was this monetary proper synergy that you can't recreate.

The thing is that at the time, you could afford to fumble towards your goal. Doom is the end result of 'while that didn't work, what if we try this?' on every bit of the game until it did work.

Stuntman posted:

😂😂😂
Do you at all understand how modern idtech engines work? To do anything map/model related, you have to have a render farm with massive processing power. They released a full SDK for Rage, go check out the ModDB page and see what kinds of mods actually exist

Today you have things like this. Trying to feel your way towards a game would drive you bankrupt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

The thing is that at the time, you could afford to fumble towards your goal. Doom is the end result of 'while that didn't work, what if we try this?' on every bit of the game until it did work.

Today you have things like this. Trying to feel your way towards a game would drive you bankrupt.

Not necessarily; that's still how Valve does things, and is sorta how Blizzard does things but Activision gives them some poo poo so they aren't as good about it as they used to be.

Surprisingly, putting out really really well polished games gets you tons of attention and amazing sales.

Unfortunately for us, Valve realized that even more profitable than making amazing games is just running Steam, and that's waaaaaay less effort, so that's all they do now apparently :smith:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Adrian Carmack once claimed that the natural trajectory of graphics towards "photo-realism" was for sprites of near-infinite resolution rendered from "ten thousand different angles" and that, as a result, the average FPS game of the distant future would take decades to make.

"Like Michelangelo, the average game designer of the future will probably only work on only one game in their entire career. Unless life expectancy radically changes, some will not live to see it through to completion."

It's not true 3d he didn't see coming, it's the huge teams where no one actually has any input into what comes out in the end.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

all apologies posted:

Please MP be good.

I played the beta and it is definitely a multiplayer mode that will be dead in a few months.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's kinda dumb because the way the industry is going is just to specialize companies more to take care of different parts of a game, and outsource more and more aspects of it to different studios or teams.

Engines have already moved out into a seperate business and very few game companies roll in-house anymore, and those who do like Square or Konami end up regretting it massively. Not only do companies like DICE and Epic sell their engines, companies like Unity make nothing but engines. They don't even sell games at all.

Then there's going to be content-creation companies, like SpeedTree which has been around for a long time. Take SpeedTree and make it SpeedAssets where you can roll up guns or swords using simple procedural algorithms and templates and you could save a ton of development time. As long as the procedural technology is advanced enough that won't lead to all games feeling like they have the same style or anything, especially with how you can apply shaders on top of that for different styles and effects.

We'll have whole catalogs of models, textures and shaders the way we already use sound banks in most games. (The same sound effects can be found in dozens of games)

But, in his defense, that was a long long time ago and looking into a crystal ball back then would have been much harder.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The main theme by Tweaker is cool and good, but that's just the title screen. The rest of the game is devoid of music, and frankly, when I first listened to that tune, ultimately it set me up for a lot of disappointment because that's all we got.

At least Doom 3 eventually gave us Sonic Clang's classic Doom e1 covers and its incredible E1M8 retake.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah that first paragraph is happening in a big way, Destiny is the big one, its sequel has been part developed by High Moon Studios in Bungie's absence while they scrambled to keep the original game alive.

Call of Duty gets farmed out regularly, I think one game had 3 devs working on the same one.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

hey don't bring me into this poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah that first paragraph is happening in a big way, Destiny is the big one, its sequel has been part developed by High Moon Studios in Bungie's absence while they scrambled to keep the original game alive.

Call of Duty gets farmed out regularly, I think one game had 3 devs working on the same one.

Yep. And Doom 4 itself is being made by 3 companies even; IdGames for the Single Player, Certain Affinity for the Multi Player, and Escalation Studios worked on SnapMap.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's three "main" studios each taking three years to make a game, so that a new COD comes out annually, with lots of other little studios pitching in in various ways. That's what Raven's been doing since Wolfenstein 2009 and Singularity nearly killed them.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know, there were shots in that new trailer with as many enemies on screen as I remember in the original Doom. Even when Doom 3 came out I was questioning why people remembered dozens of enemies on screen at once, but maybe I just didn't play on nightmare difficulty. (Not that I'm saying Doom 3 was a worthy successor, it had a lot of problems.) I just watched a nightmare difficulty run of the final boss of Doom 2 and there were maybe six enemies on the screen, and Map 29 had a few areas with eight enemies.

Another point to this game is it got down the Pinky demon. Doom 3's Pinky was just not right.

Also it's the original Doom guy, that's cool.

A thing to keep in mind, when people talk about Doom, they're usually really talking about Doom 2 (also the Final Boss for Doom 2 is unusually sparse).

Doom 3 could handle like 2 enemies onscreen max.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The owner of Certain Affinity must having a loving monkey's paw in order for them to still be working.

Also, I liked Doom 3, but echo John Romero's complaint in that there were too many of the scripted "gotcha" moments in relation to monster placement. The "imp jumping into the doorway" trick was particularly bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doom 3 kinda felt like Id copying Valve instead of the other way around, and they're just not as good at that sort of scripted experience. Valve spends years on their scripts revising and revisiting each thing and playtesting it over and over with newbies to see how people react and what people notice and what they don't notice, etc.

Funny enough, Doom 3 actually had a gravity gun, but they only used it as a developer tool. HL2 came out right after with a gravity gun as an actual weapon and made physics a huge selling point and everybody at Id went :doh:

Id should stick to what they do best. Just give monsters some in-fighting and basic AI and fill rooms with them and let the emergent gameplay come out from there. Just craft really good levels for shooting demons in.

khwarezm posted:

A thing to keep in mind, when people talk about Doom, they're usually really talking about Doom 2 (also the Final Boss for Doom 2 is unusually sparse).

Doom 3 could handle like 2 enemies onscreen max.

Actually most people are talking about Doom 1 in my experience. The SSG is the only part of Doom 2 that people who don't play doom WADs regularly remember.

But everybody remembers E1M1.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 5, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Four actually. Ghosts was done by Infinity Ward, Raven Software, Neversoft and Certain Affinity (who's doing Retard 4's MP) and it shows. Ghosts isn't the worst CoD but it's noticeably disjointed.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Doom 3 did have a lot of things going for it. The first hour or so of the game going to poo poo, starting in chaos and slowly breaking down into silence and loneliness was damned well done. The audio logs were an obvious take from System Shock, but they still did it fairly well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
yeah, but that shotgun.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Someone took the new trailer and overlayed the old leaked trailer music on top of it:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACM0MohxP3g

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Al-Saqr posted:

Someone took the new trailer and overlayed the old leaked trailer music on top of it:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACM0MohxP3g

That's a bit better alright.

Also not having reloading is kinda cool but also I really wouldn't mind it if it were an option somehow. There could be some neat animations and such going in when you reload your gun :shobon:

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Imagine if they actually made DOOM like in Tom Hall's DOOM Bible? And like Zaphod42 said, just run around the base/hell and enjoy the emergent gameplay.

poo poo, image DOOM in a map like Skyrim?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I know there's probably a thread for it but I really want to play through Ultimate Doom and Doom II again, what's the best way to experience the games with the most modern QoL improvements without 100% changing the game or giving the monsters hideous 3d quake models. I don't mind improved lightning and other stuff but I want the game to at least resemble the Doom I grew up with.

Another question: was there ever any mod made that re-created the music, levels and sound effects of the psx ports? Those games were atmospheric as gently caress.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cracker King posted:

Imagine if they actually made DOOM like in Tom Hall's DOOM Bible? And like Zaphod42 said, just run around the base/hell and enjoy the emergent gameplay.

poo poo, image DOOM in a map like Skyrim?

I'm picturing an experience akin to Blood Dragon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just beat E1M1 in Doom.... for the SNES (original hardware, no emulation). It's really interesting seeing the myriad design concessions that Doom ports have to make, and I can't think of another game that's been ported to so many different platforms.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I know there's probably a thread for it but I really want to play through Ultimate Doom and Doom II again, what's the best way to experience the games with the most modern QoL improvements without 100% changing the game or giving the monsters hideous 3d quake models. I don't mind improved lightning and other stuff but I want the game to at least resemble the Doom I grew up with.

Another question: was there ever any mod made that re-created the music, levels and sound effects of the psx ports? Those games were atmospheric as gently caress.

just basic gzdoom with the texture filtering turned to nearest neighbor or whatever it's called to make it all pixely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Here's the PSX DOOM total conversion thread, which has links and isntructions on downloading all the stuff: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57957-psx-doom-final-doom-tc-version-2-135-now-released/

It's like 99.99% accurate to the PSX original, although of course you can still use mouselook. You will need to be running GZDoom to play it properly.