Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I found that Aperture Priority (ME Super "auto" mode) does pretty well at teaching you exposure too. You pick an aperture, the camera tells you what it thinks is the best shutter speed. I used it like that for a long time (still do pretty frequently) and rapidly picked up a feel for what aperture was going to give me a shutter speed of 200-500ish--basically training for Sunny 16. When I went over to a TLR with no meter, Sunny 16 was pretty easy thanks to my time spent with the ME Super's "auto" mode.

The main thing to be aware of is that the camera's meter is quite stupid. Some other goon may be able to correct me, but as I understand it the meter "expects" the scene to be sort of... normal. It doesn't know if you're standing in a field of snow, it'll meter it the same as if you were in a field of grass--and then you end up with gray snow and everything else completely black. Same goes for any shot where there's a lot of sky; when I went to the ABQ Balloon Festival, I'd switch to auto mode and point at the ground to get an idea of metering, then set it into manual mode to actually shoot the balloons.

Paperhouse posted:

I did it - I bought an ME Super. For someone who knows nothing about photography, would you guys recommend starting with the auto function or just diving right into manual? And if I am using auto, is it literally just focus, point and shoot or are there still other considerations? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions.

What lens did you get with it? I have the Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm, a nice small lens to go with a nice small camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Helen Highwater posted:

http://canonoutsideofauto.ca/ is also a good site for playing around with the exposure triangle and understanding what happens when you adjust one part of that.
This is really good, thanks.

Pham Nuwen, that's the same lens that I'm getting with it. My mum told me that she has a wide angle lens she used to use with a K1000 so I might get to try that out too. Just need to buy my first roll of film now - any suggestions?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

This is really good, thanks.

Pham Nuwen, that's the same lens that I'm getting with it. My mum told me that she has a wide angle lens she used to use with a K1000 so I might get to try that out too. Just need to buy my first roll of film now - any suggestions?

Are you in the US? Freestyle Photo sells "Arista EDU" black and white film. IIRC it's just repackaged Foma. Get some in 400ISO and order your chems at the same time.

Unless you don't want to dive right into B&W dev, in which case probably just grab some 400ISO Fuji color film from the drugstore. Buy Portra when you're comfortable with the camera.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Kodak Porta 400 if you're willing to pay a little bit more. Kodak Ultamax 400 is similar and half the price. Ektar 100 is weird and overly vivid, imo.
Fuji Superia 400 works too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Pham Nuwen posted:

The main thing to be aware of is that the camera's meter is quite stupid. Some other goon may be able to correct me, but as I understand it the meter "expects" the scene to be sort of... normal. It doesn't know if you're standing in a field of snow, it'll meter it the same as if you were in a field of grass--and then you end up with gray snow and everything else completely black. Same goes for any shot where there's a lot of sky; when I went to the ABQ Balloon Festival, I'd switch to auto mode and point at the ground to get an idea of metering, then set it into manual mode to actually shoot the balloons.
Yeah, it's looking for middle grey so you have to underexpose dark scenes (or they'll end up too bright) and overexpose really bright scenes (or they'll end up too dark). How much you have to over-/underexpose depends on what you are photographing. Also, old cameras are usually centre weighted so it's measuring the light in the centre (the size of the centre varies) unlike modern cameras that usually have matrix metering. However, don't spend too much time thinking about this yet IMO, the first thing to understand is the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and film speed (ISO).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Hey, bit of assistance needed repairing an old Olympus 35RD.
If anyone owns one and have some spare time would you be able to post pictures of the window onto the light cell on the front. I need a small range of photos, primarily the fastest and slowest shutter speeds at the highest and lowest ASA ratings. 25-50ASA at 500/B/2 and the same at 400-800 would be amazing.

I can't offer anything in return but my thanks.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

nielsm posted:

Fotoimpex.de and Macodirect.de both carry liquid C-41 and E-6 kits, including Digibase branded ones. I don't know if they have any shipping restrictions on them, though.

I also buy Digibase kits (I'm on my fifth 5L one) from Macodirect. They seem to be all fresh and long lasting, unlike the ones I got from minor, local stores in the past.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TAVmqg0Jo

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thirty four minutes

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I have the exact opposite of whatever the hell the people have who like those videos

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

weird tutorial

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

maxmars posted:

I also buy Digibase kits (I'm on my fifth 5L one) from Macodirect. They seem to be all fresh and long lasting, unlike the ones I got from minor, local stores in the past.

I guess the question is how do you tell when the kits are dead? I've put ten rolled of 35mm and two rolls of 120 through a Unicolor and haven't really noticed an issue so far. I think the kit is rated at 8 rolls.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess the question is how do you tell when the kits are dead? I've put ten rolled of 35mm and two rolls of 120 through a Unicolor and haven't really noticed an issue so far. I think the kit is rated at 8 rolls.

Well the Digibase dev has a typical brown-ish tint when it's depleted and turns from almost colorless / faint yellow tint when it's just been mixed to purple when it's depleted. This is the component that dies first.

Bleach is bright green and produces a lot of gas when it's fresh, also turns to purple when it's nearing depletion and does not produce much gas (my reference is that the tank top doesn't pop after a couple of inversions after pouring it in).

I throw away stab when it picks up a red tint, meaning it's been in contact with the remains of previous steps too much, or after 10 rolls, whichever comes first (I have surplus stab anyway because I dilute it much more than what the leaflet says).

Digibase kits are not already mixed and ready to use. You need to mix four liquids + add water for the developer alone. This helps with storage, a kit (especially if you add gas for the oxidizable components) should last a year or more and you only mix the quantity you need for the rolls at hand. By your comment I gather Unicolor sells pre-mixed kits? Those will last less I think.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The unicolor kits are powered mix kits in four parts.
I can't remember what color everything was from the start but the dev is brownish now, the blix is a brown-red - I shake it hard before I use it so it starts putting off bubbles again, and the stabilizer is kinda purple now. I have another kit here ready to mix, I was just curious to see how long I could push this thing but I wasn't sure what to look for in the developed negatives to indicate everything is Not Awesome.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

OK, I had a weird thing happen and could do with some advice.

I shot two rolls of 400 speed 120 film for a college project (still life). I was using continuous lights and metered every time I made an adjustment to the set up. When I processed my film today it was so underexposed that it was pretty much blank. Anyone got any ideas for what could have happened? I used the exact settings my light meter said and it's never been wrong before.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Maybe you were using incident instead of reflected or vice versa with the meter? Had the wrong iso settings in the meter?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do your shutter speeds sound 'accurate'-ish?

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Light meter was definitely on the right setting. I was using my dad's old Lubitel which had been sat in my parents loft for around 25 years. It seems in OK condition, we ran a little test a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine although the shutter sounds a bit odd. It's just a little click and doesn't feel like it's doing anything (it definitely is taking pictures though, I could see them very faint with a light box). I've borrowed the colleges Mamiya so going to try again using my strobes instead of the continuous lights and double check the exposure with my dslr.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Expired film?
Exposed for the wrong part of the scene ?
Wrong settings on the camera?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Lubitels can fail in all sorts of exciting ways, but I've never heard of one having faster than rated shutter speeds. That said, since it's a Lubitel, there's a 99% chance that your problem is with the camera.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it might be stuck at a really fast shutter setting

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It might also have a stuck aperture. As noted above, Lubitels aren't the most reliable cameras in the world and even brand new ones could fail in various interesting ways.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOvTsya2r3Q&hd=1

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Thanks everyone. I spoke to one of the other tutors at college who has a Lubitel and he said they can be temperamental. I'd still like to use it because it was my dad's and I do like the square format, I just won't use it for a big important assignment like this one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got two rolls of film back today. The first was shot by a Kodak No. 2 Brownie dated between 1907 and 1910 at Dapper Day at the Magic Kingdom. It was loaded with Ilford Delta Pro 100. The film rolled onto the take-up spool (an old metal one left in the camera) poorly and it suffered some bad light exposure when being removed (and may have a bad shutter), but I inadvertently created Disney creepypasta photos:

---_0121 by chitoryu15, on Flickr

---_0120 by chitoryu15, on Flickr

---_0118 by chitoryu15, on Flickr

---_0117 by chitoryu15, on Flickr

---_0116 by chitoryu15, on Flickr

---_0115 by chitoryu15, on Flickr

This is a roll of Fujifilm X-TRA 400 from a trip to the Sea Life Aquarium in Orlando shot on an Argus C3, dated from 1949. I've never shot 100% manual except for a few DSLR shots inside the Tower of Terror, so only 11 of the 24 photos were even exposed enough to develop. But for being a total newbie to film AND manual shooting, I'm very impressed by a few of them:

_3A_0108 by chitoryu15, on Flickr
_4A_0107 by chitoryu15, on Flickr
_5A_0106 by chitoryu15, on Flickr
_8A_0104 by chitoryu15, on Flickr
20A_0101 by chitoryu15, on Flickr
21A_0100 by chitoryu15, on Flickr
23A_0098 by chitoryu15, on Flickr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I got myself a Helios 44-2 58mm for my Fujica ST705. Today I found out that the mirror hangs up when coming back from shooting when focused to infinity. Yay. Developing film now to find out if it hangs on the way up and ruins the shot. If not, gently caress it, running it anyway.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 8, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I got a Helios for my spotmatic and the auto aperture pin actually moves in and out of the lens when adjusting the focus. So it only communicates the aperture with the body if you are focused on a nearby subject. As you focus towards infinity, the pin slips off the body's index lever. The Pentax lenses don't do this, obviously.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The 44-2 is one of the ones that you preset the aperture, then you have to close the ring manually. I think the 44-4 is the one with the pin. :) I just finished developing and I'm pretty sure the mirror hangs up on the way up, but I'm not 100% until the negs dry and I can scan them in a couple of hours. Balls, I like this lens. Maybe I'll cut the internals lens a little bit because it BARELY catches judging by just having to touch the focus ring to have the mirror drop back down. Too bad the camera doesn't let you lock the mirror up.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 8, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

The 44-2 is one of the ones that you preset the aperture, then you have to close the ring manually. I think the 44-4 is the one with the pin. :)

This is correct. I have several examples of both.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there an actual good tutorial on getting color negatives looking right after scanning? This poo poo is ruining me.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I put together some photoshop actions that gets me within 95% of the final image most of the time.

https://www.iamthejeff.com/files/Film%20Editing.atn

Do a positive 48 bit color scan, crop out the film edges, and run the action.

You get these results in one click

Depending on your preference you'll want to add some contrast too

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been using that and it works really well. It just seems like I've been getting a lot of pictures with a light blue cast over everything. I'm going to assume this is because I was shooting Porta 400 during the day or something?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been using that and it works really well. It just seems like I've been getting a lot of pictures with a light blue cast over everything. I'm going to assume this is because I was shooting Porta 400 during the day or something?

No, I'm guessing that the action works better for artificial light like in the example. Every film in every different light is going to require different curves.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Upon further consideration, it's probably because the ISO dial on my HiMatic got moved to 60 from 400. I think the blue overtone is hellish overexposure.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

just bring the blue curve down in the center and see how it goes

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I just bought my first film camera. It's a Canon A1 and it came with the 50mm 1.8. I have 3 rolls of B+W Kodak 400TX. I'm really nervous about using B+W because I've shot in digital color ever since I've started so I don't have an eye for it at all. Is there a subject type I can really get a jump on the learning curve? I really want to discover and improve and I feel lost and out of place. Maybe some inspiration will help. Who does really good work in B+W/film?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just go out there and take lots of pictures, then develop them, then take lots more pictures, then repeat

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Just shoot. You'll figure out what works in black and white and what doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Buy 10 rolls of B&W film and shoot that up. I exclusively shot Tri-X for years, it's easy after a while .