Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bull3964 posted:

My 2011 WRX feels like a wallowing hippo of a boat compared to my BRZ, so I would I imagine much the same compared to the S2000.

I haven't driven the newest gen yet though.

Exact same but somehow even more boring looking, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Never part with an S2000. Only sorrow and regret can come from it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

I'm looking at an '05 with 8000 miles on it tomorrow. A guy I work with that sold one a few years back seems to really regret it.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fyodor posted:

When you replace it with an Elise it's not that bad. Never looked back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

When you replace it with an Elise it's not that bad. Never looked back.

I'm so mad the Exige isn't available in the US. It's right on the upper end of my budget, and I would get one in a heartbeat.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

standard WRX or STI? I was told last week I gotta give up my company car, which means I finally gotta get rid of my S2000 and I'm looking for something that will at least come close to the sheer joy of driving that thing...

He got a standard WRX. I've never driven an S2000 but I enjoyed driving his WRX. Didn't drive it back-to-back against the BRZ though. That'd be an interesting comparison. I know in the BRZ you could sense how low the CG was, I don't remember feeling that in the WRX.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

KillHour posted:

I'm so mad the Exige isn't available in the US. It's right on the upper end of my budget, and I would get one in a heartbeat.

If you want one bad enough they sell them as "track only" cars in the US. So maybe if you live in Florida this is an option?

Also, you could get a normal Exige and do a V6 swap: https://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwr-lotus-elise-v6/
It didn't quite fit the boot lid in the Elise but an Exige wouldn't have a problem clearing it.

Also, you could just make more power than the factory supercharged V6 with a BOE REV400 kit: http://www.boefab.com/collections/superchargers/products/rev-400tvs-lotus-super-charger
300whp on a bone stock engine. 350whp with head work and pistons. I ran that kit before it had an intercooler (now called REV300) and I made 275whp with some engine/exhaust mods in hot weather. Tracked it for 3 years like that, never missed a beat. BOE makes good stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

Haha, no thanks, I'll just get the $20k crossover

Yup. V90 is bitchin but I've only got base CRV money. And when a used V90 is down to $25k, it's probably going to be due for some expensive maintenance.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

But the CRV is a crossover, how are you going to manage to hit the apex every corner on the drive to Costco?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

If you want one bad enough they sell them as "track only" cars in the US. So maybe if you live in Florida this is an option?

Also, you could get a normal Exige and do a V6 swap: https://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwr-lotus-elise-v6/
It didn't quite fit the boot lid in the Elise but an Exige wouldn't have a problem clearing it.

Also, you could just make more power than the factory supercharged V6 with a BOE REV400 kit: http://www.boefab.com/collections/superchargers/products/rev-400tvs-lotus-super-charger
300whp on a bone stock engine. 350whp with head work and pistons. I ran that kit before it had an intercooler (now called REV300) and I made 275whp with some engine/exhaust mods in hot weather. Tracked it for 3 years like that, never missed a beat. BOE makes good stuff.

I don't really live anywhere near a track. As far as I know, the reason you can't buy them is because they don't pass crash testing, so an engine swap won't help there.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup. V90 is bitchin but I've only got base CRV money. And when a used V90 is down to $25k, it's probably going to be due for some expensive maintenance.

CRV? At the very least get a Forester or CX5

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wheeee posted:

But the CRV is a crossover, how are you going to manage to hit the apex every corner on the drive to Costco?

If you aren't actively shaving tenths of a second of that Costco run you just ain't livin.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fyodor posted:

If you aren't actively shaving tenths of a second of that Costco run you just ain't livin.

"I live my life one CostCo run at a time"?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol what kind of plebes dont have their maid go to costco for them

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This.

Anyone who's considering a crossover needs to step back and think about why they want one. They're just lifted station wagons, and with something like the V90 soon to be available (not to mention the other Volvo wagons) the idea that wagons are uncool is no longer an excuse. Anyone who can't see how cool the V90 is doesn't know the meaning of the word.

I love wagons, I have one currently. The family just wants a slightly higher seating position for road trips, and I want something that has 4 wheel/all wheel drive.

I also want better seats than the TDI has. Those seats are godawful, they are a bit too firm, and flat, and the base of the seat is not quite long enough for me. I don't have kids, but I do have a pretty large dog, so I don't need a huge suv--crossovers are the right size, at least for me.

I'll still have fun cars. I just want something supremely comfy for daily driving and road trips.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

So the s2000 I'm working on buying is going to be my ultimate Costco car? I think I might even be able to get a package of paper towels in the trunk?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fknlo posted:

So the s2000 I'm working on buying is going to be my ultimate Costco car? I think I might even be able to get a package of paper towels in the trunk?

Trailer hitch, my man

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

alternate.eago posted:

I love wagons, I have one currently. The family just wants a slightly higher seating position for road trips, and I want something that has 4 wheel/all wheel drive.

I also want better seats than the TDI has. Those seats are godawful, they are a bit too firm, and flat, and the base of the seat is not quite long enough for me. I don't have kids, but I do have a pretty large dog, so I don't need a huge suv--crossovers are the right size, at least for me.

I'll still have fun cars. I just want something supremely comfy for daily driving and road trips.

You dont like the TDI seats? I'd say its one of the better features on my JSW.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

Trailer hitch, my man

I could also put a bike rack on that! Win win!

BraveUlysses posted:

I love the seats in my TDI. They're supportive and they're also comfortable for long trips.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Capitalism has determined the best cars crossover suvs and f150s. Please do not be contrarian.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

fknlo posted:

Take the passenger seat out. Not kidding. You'll be surprised how much you can fit in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

Take the passenger seat out. Not kidding. You'll be surprised how much you can fit in.

Pretty sure that will get stolen within the first week, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I'm now picturing a large, hollow SUV body that you drive an S2000 into, clamping it down somehow whenever you need to haul stuff.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I take my NA Miata to Costco all the time and do fine. If I have paper towels or TP they go in the front seat, all the other stuff fits in the trunk.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
With a top case and panniers, I take my sportbike grocery shopping regularly, including to Sam's Club

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Top down Miata holds a lot of things, such as lumber or rugs. Got some strange looks but drat if it didn't work well.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I hit Home Depot for some shrubbery in my NB (sans-a-seat). It worked well, I used a tarp, and it was easy to clean up afterwards.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have a mountain bike with a huge trailer and I sometimes ride to grocery shopping and home depot and whatnot. The looks of confusion and disgust you get from the blue collar crowd while you're loading up a bike trailer with paint and plywood as they roll by in their Ram trucks are incredibly satisfying.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 5, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

CRV? At the very least get a Forester or CX5

Wife nixed Subarus right off, and the CX5 really isn't all that different; just $2k+ more expensive.

We had an NB for our "nice" car for five years, which meant plenty of grocery runs and the like. Works great for two people, honestly!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have a mountain bike with a huge trailer and I sometimes ride to grocery shopping and home depot and whatnot. The looks of confusion and disgust you get from the blue collar crowd while you're loading up a bike trailer with paint and plywood as they roll by in their Ram trucks are incredibly satisfying.

I hereby award you 50 smug hipster points.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wonder how many of them drove home and googled "how do i roll coal."

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Alarbus posted:

"I live my life one CostCo run at a time"?

New forum title spotted.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Nobody cares.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Laserface posted:

Nobody cares.

Edgy!

12 years ago in college I used to ride 30 mi on a fixie with a 65 liter backpack to Costco to buy cases of beer and save ~$20 on alcoholism. I have back problems now :(

I also brought home an IKEA bookshelf in that backpack. I never got any action from coeds for my heroic deeds of idiot transportation. I wish I had been able to afford a car :(

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

BraveUlysses posted:

Nope, can't stand the seats. I'm skinny and tall so the bottom is not quite squishy enough (but thats every german car) and the base isn't quite long enough. I get huge leg cramps and my knees kill me for anything longer than an hour.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It seems like being tall is awesome except if you love cars. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Tough poo poo, if I'm too short to be President, you can be too tall to drive a Miata.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

blk posted:

Edgy!

12 years ago in college I used to ride 30 mi on a fixie with a 65 liter backpack to Costco to buy cases of beer and save ~$20 on alcoholism. I have back problems now :(

I also brought home an IKEA bookshelf in that backpack. I never got any action from coeds for my heroic deeds of idiot transportation. I wish I had been able to afford a car :(

Should have stopped being a drunk and saved up for a suitable mode of transport.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fyodor posted:

It seems like being tall is awesome except if you love cars. :(

yup, i'd own a miata instead of an e30 if i could fit into one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Sadi posted:

You're hosed, keep the s2k and get a beater to have at the same time. I need to drive a newer WRX or STI, but I dont think they would even be half as sharp as a S2000.

Trip report: WRX felt like a total boat compared to the S2k.

The 2013 Caddy ATS I drove actually felt pretty agile, though. Obviously not on the same level but the handling was acceptable. Now the problem is going to be finding one with a manual. Also I gotta see if those tiny rear end rear seats will take a car seat.