Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I live a few hours away from here and the pictures I've been seeing are hosed

This was the road out of fort Mac at about 7 PM

And that was the same road about an hour later. They said on the radio that the whole place has been pretty much leveled by 10 PM :gonk:

PYF new phone wallpapers!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
They showed footage of those fires from people running from them tonight on the news, jesus. That's terrifying.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Phanatic posted:

Norman Maclean's book "Young Men and Fire," about the Mann Gulch Fire which claimed 13 firefighters in Montana in 1949 and was the deadliest wilderness fire until the South Canyon Fire in 1994, is an amazing book and every should read it. High winds caused the fire to jump past the men, cutting off their escape route to the Missouri River and they had to drop their tools and packs and sprint for the top of the hill. The foreman, Wagner Dodge,set an escape fire and laid down in the burned area but the others either didn't understand what he was doing or didn't care and kept running.
Backing up a couple pages, the DisasterCast episode about the Mann Gulch fire is really good. I wish they were still publishing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tendai posted:

They showed footage of those fires from people running from them tonight on the news, jesus. That's terrifying.

Toss a link

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It was on TV? I mean I'm guessing that if you search on youtube you'll find some, there were a fuckton of different videos from people in cars going through tunnels of flame that were leaping across the roads.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tendai posted:

It was on TV? I mean I'm guessing that if you search on youtube you'll find some, there were a fuckton of different videos from people in cars going through tunnels of flame that were leaping across the roads.

Ah. Well guess I'm off to yootoobs

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW4ItqEkuWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Yte03B3Lo

bootsy
Jun 29, 2010
Goddamnit, here comes Autism controversy chat again.

Edit: Here's some footage of an actual fire burnover event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIIQ_5s_Y0

bootsy has a new favorite as of 04:29 on May 5, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3dPlVvkIZ8

The occasional white wisps you see coming off the trees all of the gasses from the tree escaping, being sucked up and exploding into fire.

Funky See Funky Do has a new favorite as of 04:41 on May 5, 2016

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was telling people how to feel about their disabilities, it is a pet peeve of mine when people advance highly unorthodox and controversial opinions as if they were generally accepted. That's why I linked to a Wikipedia article on Neurodiversity, both so people could learn the debate existed and a side was being taken, and because I think people would find the existence of that kind of advocacy interesting. I should have resisted the urge to editorialize though and I'm sorry I made you mad, I won't post any more about it here.

gently caress that. You posted a valid criticism of a controversial idea in a thread where it was being discussed. Don't let one whiney little moron derail you posting actual facts and making people aware of both sides of a debate.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

You can do all that in America too. You just can't do it where the rich people live. Don't you have those weird gated villages in the UK?

Oh we have some of those yeah, but they are the exception rather than the norm. I have no idea if any of those have committees to monitor your hedge sizes though.

Imagined posted:

I've never been to the UK and even I know this isn't true. There are plenty of historic villages where any outward change to your home has to be approved by the local council, who will absolutely not approve anything that doesn't match the local aesthetic.

Lol also yeah that is true - the smaller the population size the more people get funny about that stuff. I think if you live in an 'historic' village that is dependent on looking pretty to keep local business and tourism afloat you should be aware of that moving into it, tbh. Stuff like 'Best Kept Village of the year' also produces some amazing blowhards.

quote:

THE Best Kept Village competition, with 3,000 entries in England and Wales this summer, has been criticised by one of its judges who believes the exercise has become tainted with suburban values.
Stephen Friar, the former headmaster of the school at Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire, and now a Liberal Democrat councillor in West Dorset, blames incoming 'townies' and retired army officers for the 'gentrification' of villages. Mr Friar, a reluctant appointee to the panel of Dorset judges, will be casting a baleful eye over the wrought-iron handiwork and ruthlessly trimmed verges beloved of rural England's new 'Aga louts'.

'I've always felt this was a silly competition,' he said. 'I call it the Nimby's Charter. One morning in Steeple Aston I was awakened by a peculiar noise and there's this huge Volvo in the road and a couple of ladies vacuuming the inside of the village phone kiosk. Then my school was severely criticised in the judges' report because of the nettles we'd left growing to attract butterflies.

'One of my council colleagues actually said she'd known people who put bowls of flowers in phone kiosks and she thought it was wonderful. It's these sort of value judgements which I think are totally inappropriate.

'We do seem to have a preponderance of retired people in the country these days, the great and good from Surbiton and pensioned generals, and one senses they've brought with them a tradition of painting coal. They put white- painted stones on verges so tractors don't drive on them.

'I lived in the Cotswolds for 10 years, wonderful villages now occupied by people who are not country people, who've no understanding of the country and complain about cow pats in the road and the dreadful smell. One feels these are faceless communities, no longer alive, and I don't want Dorset to go like that.

'Most of our villages remain genuinely rural, where incomers are actually welcomed by traditional Dorset families because they bring in new ideas and enthusiasm.

'I've no objections whatsoever to people taking pride in their properties but in so doing, with this competition, we're losing sight of the real values of the rural way of life.

'When I was chairman of the parish council at Bishop's Caundle in Dorset, some people moved in to a farmhouse from London. Next thing I had a distraught phone call from these people saying: 'Mr Friar, some deer have escaped from the zoo and they're wandering all over our fields. Do something.' '

David Conder, assistant director of the Council for the Protection of Rural England, which helps to organise the Best Kept Village competition, said there was concern that some areas over-reacted.

'In fact we've issued a leaflet discouraging the gang- mowing of traditional wild flower verges,' he said.

'Over-zealous tidiness has no place in English villages in our view.'

quote:

For decades they have allowed residents to show off the best of village life – from immaculate greens to timeless shop fronts and colourful flowers.
Until now the greatest controversy faced by Britain’s Best Kept Village competitions was the age-old rivalries between neighbouring communities.
Now, however, they are being blamed for damaging wildlife. Conservationists say that an emphasis on public areas looking “neat and tidy” is trumping the need for proper habitats for insects and birds.
They warn that the competitions could unwittingly be contributing to the decline of bees and butterflies, as well as to the reduction in some species of birds.
Strict judging criteria are forcing parish councils to cut back hedges, “over-mow” grass and do away with features including compost heaps and piles of logs in order to win maximum points in the county-wide competitions, campaigners claim.

The competition is run in a number of counties in England, including Devon, Wiltshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Hertfordshire. In each case it is organised by a regional group, including branches of the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE).
Provision for wildlife makes up as little as 10 per cent of the overall scoring in the events, with the majority of points awarded for the appearance, cleanliness and general condition of public areas.
Steve Falk, an entomologist at Bug Life, the conservation charity, said: “That is a very old fashioned and unhelpful approach to managing the countryside in the twenty-first century.
The village of Nettleham
“I’ve come across those sorts of villages. The full blown neat and tidy approach is a travesty in this day and age.
“When you consider the Government has introduced a national pollinator strategy why would you want Best Kept Village criteria that run contrary to that?”
Mr Falk added that the conflict was also seen in churchyards, where the “neat and tidy brigade” have scuppered the efforts of people who want to encourage wildlife.
But he added: “There is a balance to be struck. We aren’t purists. I think most conservation organisations would say there is a lot to be said for presenting wildlife habitats nicely.
“Rotting material doesn’t need to be visible at all. You can have it in nooks and crannies.”
Liam Creedon, a spokesman for the Butterfly Conservation charity, added: “Butterflies and moths are declining rapidly because their habitats are being destroyed or not managed correctly. Many familiar butterflies are now far less abundant than they were, raising concerns for the health of our environment.
“Many caterpillars also love patches of untidy, unkempt undergrowth with long grasses and other wild plants.”
Final judging for the Devon Best Kept Village award, run by the county’s CPRE branch, has now taken place, with the winner due to be announced this week.
Diana Moyse, of the Devon CPRE, said the judges do take into account the provision for wildlife but acknowledged that the issue could be better reflected in the formal judging criteria.
“I think things can be tweaked. I wouldn’t be averse to within Devon making it more explicit because I think it is a big issue,” she said.

So yeah I guess we do have those problems, but we don't generally have HOAs

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rondette posted:

Oh we have some of those yeah, but they are the exception rather than the norm. I have no idea if any of those have committees to monitor your hedge sizes though.
Yeah it's the same way in America. HOA are only really around for the richest rich people areas and retirement communities, and in apartment complexes with super lax landlords. Though the latter bit is to keep people from doing things that would harm the other tenants when the land lord refuses to evict people.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I would imagine anything that does not further traumatize your patient is a good place to start.

At the risk of extending a conversation that other posters don't find relevant to HOA discussion:
You're not offering an alternative; you're assuming the mental state of another person (traumatized); and you're further assuming that it would be best to spare "trauma" but allow a patient to blind themselves.

Electroshock is an easy target, because it looks and sounds disagreeable. Meanwhile, hippotherapy, dolphin therapy, facilitated communication, rebirthing, chelation, consuming bleach solutions, excessive restraints, isolation, and even school-sponsored corporal punishment have less scientific evidence in regards to their efficacy in treatment of behavioral excess.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
With regards to wildfires, California had these last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN1--qnj8ww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qejrvm-G5bQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVPB3HI9Wg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHIYwDXDqv0

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

nocal posted:

At the risk of extending a conversation that other posters don't find relevant to HOA discussion:
You're not offering an alternative; you're assuming the mental state of another person (traumatized); and you're further assuming that it would be best to spare "trauma" but allow a patient to blind themselves.

Electroshock is an easy target, because it looks and sounds disagreeable. Meanwhile, hippotherapy, dolphin therapy, facilitated communication, rebirthing, chelation, consuming bleach solutions, excessive restraints, isolation, and even school-sponsored corporal punishment have less scientific evidence in regards to their efficacy in treatment of behavioral excess.

lol

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

nocal posted:

I'm not a therapist, I'm a PTA student, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I never said "allow a patient to blind themselves" but there's plenty of evidence that inflicting pain on a person is just about the worst way to achieve any kind of result except distress and trauma.

nocal posted:

All those other things you listed are bullshit at best and dangerous and damaging at worst, I'll give you that, but we're not talking about electroshock, aka electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). That's not what everyone is up in arms about. What we're talking about is the use of painful electric shocks as an "aversive", which decent people generally view as a torture technique rather than a legitimate therapeutic intervention.

It unnerves the hell out of me that this is even controversial. These are human beings being subjected to this.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ever wished you couldn't feel pain? Like a scraped knee, a broken bone or an endless derail? Well some people can't and it ruins their lives. There's an excellent documentary about a girl with the disorder out there somewhere but at the moment I can't find it. It may be the same girl in this news story which will have to do until I can find the doco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnABHy6tjL8

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Ever wished you couldn't feel pain? Like a scraped knee, a broken bone or an endless derail? Well some people can't and it ruins their lives. There's an excellent documentary about a girl with the disorder out there somewhere but at the moment I can't find it. It may be the same girl in this news story which will have to do until I can find the doco.

So I guess from a certain point of view torturing someone is very charitable

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ever wished you couldn't feel pain? Like a scraped knee, a broken bone or an endless derail? Well some people can't and it ruins their lives.

My mom informed me of this disorder once when I complained about pain. It left an impression.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 13:16 on May 5, 2016

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

nocal posted:

I was very disappointed to google hippotherapy and find out it refers to horses. Hippopotamus therapy would have been way cooler.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat this is some of the most unsettling poo poo I've ever watched somehow

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm not a therapist, I'm a PTA student, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I never said "allow a patient to blind themselves" but there's plenty of evidence that inflicting pain on a person is just about the worst way to achieve any kind of result except distress and trauma.

Except in cases of severe undifferentiated SIB, it can be effective. Point is that sometimes it's a value judgment between shocks or blindness and skull fractures.

How about this for unnerving: I know an adult who has damaged his own eyes, and is now blind.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Alereon posted:

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was telling people how to feel about their disabilities, it is a pet peeve of mine when people advance highly unorthodox and controversial opinions as if they were generally accepted.
Neurodiversity is hardly unorthodox or controversial. Most of the people who interact with my kid professionally (speech therapists, occupational therapists, special ed teachers) are on board with the idea that he has differences that need accommodation rather than a disorder that can be cured or treated, and that the way his brain works isn't inferior or lesser in any way (though it is a disability). This stuff was controversial 20 years ago, but not anymore, not among people who are actively involved with autistic kids.

On-topic for the thread: Hitler's mass killing of disabled children predated the beginning of the Jewish Holocaust by two years, and while much smaller, was similarly horrifying:

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005200

quote:

On August 18, 1939, the Reich Ministry of the Interior circulated a decree requiring all physicians, nurses, and midwives to report newborn infants and children under the age of three who showed signs of severe mental or physical disability.

Beginning in October 1939, public health authorities began to encourage parents of children with disabilities to admit their young children to one of a number of specially designated pediatric clinics throughout Germany and Austria. The clinics were in reality children's killing wards. There, specially recruited medical staff murdered their young charges by lethal overdoses of medication or by starvation.

At first, medical professionals and clinic administrators incorporated only infants and toddlers in the operation. As the scope of the measure widened, they included youths up to 17 years of age. Conservative estimates suggest that at least 5,000 physically and mentally disabled German children perished as a result of the child "euthanasia" program during the war years.

Steve Silbermann writes about a nurse who tried to save her severely disabled child from this program:

quote:

“It was unambiguously clear from his remarks that he endorsed the entire operation against ‘life unworthy of life’ and that he was prepared to do whatever the Nazis demanded.” She begged Jekelius to at least grant her son a quick and painless death, and he promised to do that. On February 22, 1941, Alfred, six years old, perished of “pneumonia” at Am Spigelgrund. When Wödl viewed her son’s corpse, it was obvious that he had died in agony.”

And this bit from a documentary includes quite a bit of footage of Nazi propaganda against the "drooling imbeciles" who are consuming resources and generally being a drain on society:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HOcbkSiKUc

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

pookel posted:

And this bit from a documentary includes quite a bit of footage of Nazi propaganda against the "drooling imbeciles" who are consuming resources and generally being a drain on society:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HOcbkSiKUc

What's truly unnerving is how close we are to this in the US.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aleph Null posted:

What's truly unnerving is how close we are to this in the US.
Riiiiight, the country in which it takes a 13-year court battle for the guardian of a woman who is literally brain-dead to be allowed to let her die is "close" to government-mandated euthanasia of disabled children. Sure.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

pookel posted:

Riiiiight, the country in which it takes a 13-year court battle for the guardian of a woman who is literally brain-dead to be allowed to let her die is "close" to government-mandated euthanasia of disabled children. Sure.

The US is alarmingly inconsistent when it comes to what sparks a media circus. That only happened because Jeb Bush got a bug up his butt about it.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Although this is in the same category, I find it creepy in a whole different way. Apologies for linking to the Daily Fail, but they have the most comprehensive coverage I could find:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-suicide.html

quote:

An ailing Arizona mother and her special-needs 12-year-old daughter have been discovered dead in their Mesa home as a result of an apparent murder-suicide. According to police, officers responding to a 911 call went to a home where a man said he'd returned from work Monday and found his wife and daughter dead. Police identify the mother as 45-year-old Marcia Wentzel and the daughter as 12-year-old Caitlin Wentzel.
Sgt. Tony Landato says the mother and daughter had been suffering from ‘debilitating, long-term medical conditions’ and he says two suicide notes were found in the home: one from Mrs Wentzel and one from her child.
Dave Reizer, who lives not far from the Wenztels in the Mountain Bridge community, described the 45-year-old woman as a devoted mother who dedicated her life to caring for her severely handicapped daughter.
Although the 12-year-old was in poor health and had to be home-schooled, she was very intelligent and enjoyed reading, the neighbor recalled to AZ Central.

Mothers who kill their children in a murder-suicide aren't unheard of, and neither are 12-year-olds who commit suicide. But a mother and a 12-year-old writing suicide notes together? That's a new one to me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bootsy posted:

Edit: Here's some footage of an actual fire burnover event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIIQ_5s_Y0

Goddamn. Fire is terrifying.

Rondette posted:

Lol also yeah that is true - the smaller the population size the more people get funny about that stuff. I think if you live in an 'historic' village that is dependent on looking pretty to keep local business and tourism afloat you should be aware of that moving into it, tbh. Stuff like 'Best Kept Village of the year' also produces some amazing blowhards.

So yeah I guess we do have those problems, but we don't generally have HOAs

Wow, and Hot Fuzz was closer to the truth than I realized.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Odd coincidence, there's an article on this in the new issue of Fortean Times and I was about to post about it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Nth Doctor posted:

Wow, and Hot Fuzz was closer to the truth than I realized.

It's pretty much a docudrama.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

pookel posted:

Shaming people for needing public assistance while trying to gut benefits; blaming problems on "illegals"; bathroom bills to dehumanizing trans people; "religious freedom" to discriminate at will.
If it weren't for Obamacare, we'd have way more people going into insurmountable debt for preexisting conditions.
Hell, the rise of Trump. People are afraid and need scapegoats. I can easily see the rhetoric growing to include shunning disability in general as a drain on society.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My grandmother was terrified of mentally disabled people and was uncomfortable around anyone in a wheelchair or who was missing a limb. I always wondered if she was just totally hosed up in some kind of personal way or if there were other people out there like that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jack Gladney posted:

My grandmother was terrified of mentally disabled people and was uncomfortable around anyone in a wheelchair or who was missing a limb. I always wondered if she was just totally hosed up in some kind of personal way or if there were other people out there like that.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Was it this? http://www.alifewithoutpain.com/about.php

If it was, that's a really good documentary. If it wasn't, that's still a really good documentary.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jack Gladney posted:

I had a phobia of people missing limbs or digits that I got help for because I didn't want to be unintentionally rude to people who were in that situation. I had had it since childhood, have no idea where it came from, glad it's gone.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Kaizoku posted:

Was it this? http://www.alifewithoutpain.com/about.php

If it was, that's a really good documentary. If it wasn't, that's still a really good documentary.

That was it! Thanks for finding it.

E: The adorable little chubby girl wearing swimming goggles? She's not going swimming. She has to wear them so she doesn't accidentally gouge her loving eyes out.

Funky See Funky Do has a new favorite as of 00:04 on May 6, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yeah, that was a pretty bad season. My grandparents' house was one hill away from the Butte fire and was even used as an outpost by firefighters. They left on a trip literally the day before the fire got really bad and there was a real worry that the house would be gone when they got back.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Was someone in this thread looking for the reconstructed image of the woman with her hand over her face? I found her on the "identified" page of the Doe Network. She was identified as Cheryl Bowman, but I can't find any other information.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is that how she died or was it well beyond proper reconstruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

Is that how she died or was it well beyond proper reconstruction

distinct rings, no(t enough?) face to reconstruct