Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would hope Sabat can at least no sound mediocre when the character is emaciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I think the dub voices sound like pure loving poo poo oh god no it's finally happening to me I'm becoming a dub hater

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look it was never going to be good once Funi got it

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Imagine if they had gotten dcau voice actors

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This would've been a good dub even if they just got the Tiger & Bunny ones. Hearing Sabat try to imitate Kenta Miyake is like the worst thing.

EDIT: I just watched the first ep and the dude voicing Bakugo is trying way too hard, like holy poo poo he tries to ham it and then it just comes off really badly otherwise Deku sounds fine.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 5, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure All Might specifically said that through a lottery of fate the guy's unknown natural quirk and the power building quirk merged into a single quirk. We also know that similarity of ability has nothing to do with kids having hybrid quirks of their parents, because fire and ice are opposites and looking like a flesh rock has nothing to do with talking to animals.

I meant similar in the sense that they're related enough that having both at once changes how you can use your quirks - 'being made of rock' and 'talks to animals' are so unrelated that both parts of the quirk have absolutely no bearing on the other. The addition of the ice quirk made the fire quirk much more powerful as it removed the upper limit Endeavor had with overheating.

Like just imagining quirks off the top of my head that could improve disintegration touch directly - stretchy limbs, super speed, eraserhead power negation, invisibility. Class 5A has a ton of choice picks that could turn Shigaraki into something terrifying.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shinsou's power would be great too; while he himself isn't villainous, someone evil using that power would be nasty. Like, imagine Shigaraki ordering someone to hold still while he reached out and grabbed their face or something.

Yaoyorozu's power would be good for villains, if not Shigaraki specifically, as well. Could make all sorts of nasty weapons and things and stay supplied with illegal goods (or just make money) even if you're a wanted criminal who can't go anywhere openly.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Yao mentioned something about not wanting to imbalance the economy when they all went to buy their terrible disguises

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Jintor posted:

Imagine if they had gotten dcau voice actors

Dammit, now I'm gonna be forever lamenting that we don't live in a universe where Andrea Romano casted and directed the dub

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I meant similar in the sense that they're related enough that having both at once changes how you can use your quirks - 'being made of rock' and 'talks to animals' are so unrelated that both parts of the quirk have absolutely no bearing on the other. The addition of the ice quirk made the fire quirk much more powerful as it removed the upper limit Endeavor had with overheating.

Like just imagining quirks off the top of my head that could improve disintegration touch directly - stretchy limbs, super speed, eraserhead power negation, invisibility. Class 5A has a ton of choice picks that could turn Shigaraki into something terrifying.

I think a dude who can grow new hands would be the worst.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well, he'd be that guy from Men in Black, wouldn't he?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tommy Lee Jones?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Here is an idea: what if All for One doesn't know about One for All? He may not know that it is something he inadvertently created, that it is inheritable, or that it is made out of ghosts. Yet, Deku told Bakugou that he got his quirk from All Might. Bakugou didn't really know or care what Deku meant, but All for One has Bakugou now and it might fill in the blanks for him. Of course, there is also how he grabbed Shigaraki and is grooming him to be some kind of villainous kingpin, but he could hate Shigaraki's dad without knowing the specifics of his quirk.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
On the other hand, A41 might want Bakugou because he has an idea of how quirks combine through experimentation, and expects the explosions to fuse with disintegration touch in such a way that Shigaraki gets some sort of antimatter cannon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I never suggested that he wanted Bakugou because of some secret he holds. Bakugou has a useful quirk and a strong body. He would be a useful recruit, a good source for a power to stick in a noumu, or even a good base body for a noumu. His personality and beliefs preclude the first option, but the others are still perfectly viable. What's more, his powers are based on his hands so a41 might have something in mind with Shigaraki. Corrosive explosion hands, maybe?

However, Bakugou knows All Might's secret without being aware of it and now he is in the possession of the enemy. Even if a41 knows about 14a he probably isn't aware of who all might's successor is, what with how he didn't drop everything to murder Deku asap.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Bakugou's power is based in his sweat, he just uses his hands because it's the primary means humans use to manipulate the world, I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its cool how this manga is going to end with deku murdering one for all

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Bakugou's power is based in his sweat, he just uses his hands because it's the primary means humans use to manipulate the world, I think.

His palm sweat is explosive. The rest of his body has never exploded.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think all of his sweat is explosive, he just has to will it to explode.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I mean, double checking on the wiki it says it's just his palm sweat, but even for shounen anime wikis the MHA wiki is abject loving garbage so idk. Where is ZepiaEltnamOberon when you need him?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Serious Frolicking posted:

His head has exploded.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
does all for one actually want bakugou? i thought he was going along with it because its important to shiragaki

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

does all for one actually want bakugou? i thought he was going along with it because its important to shiragaki

That's the impression I got.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, AfO is doing all of this work solely because Shigaraki asked for help.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genocyber posted:

That's the impression I got.

same
And his plan for him hasn't seemed much more complex than "this kid looks disgruntled let's make him a villain" :downs:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
AfO being all supportive to Shigaraki and making sure to save all those villains just makes him all the scarier. He's capable of being quite nice to his underlings, and goes out of his way to keep them safe...and he's still utterly monstrous. The way he acts towards his underlings only highlights how loving nasty he can be by comparison.

He's basically to villains as All Might is to heroes, and Shigaraki's his Deku.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AfO's motivations are probably the same as All Might's too: securing a future for the young, inexperienced kids under his care. He's trying to mold Shigaraki to be his successor, that's why he's looking for quirks that would suit him.

Honestly, it wouldn't be surprising if both All Might and AfO died here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

its cool how this manga is going to end with deku murdering one for all
I'm kinda convinced that this is gonna end with him either merely being "defeated" and captured, or him destroying himself ironically since as you imply a character like Midoriya literally murdering a dude seems kinda...not right?

Like, somehow in the end he ends up stealing One For All from Midoriya during the final battle and the stored power/souls all combined cause him to explode or something dumb like that. Thus, Midoriya is left quirkless at the end but still a great hero, proving you don't need a quirk to be hero or whatever. It's like poetry.

Law Cheetah posted:

Yeah, this I think.

Personally I know the answer is "Because he's the secondary protagonist and it'd be too dark for shounen" but really I don't see how turning him villain is really any more of a blow to UA/Hero Society than just loving killing him and making sure the world knows so it can't be swept under the rug. Like if you make him heel turn, if they get him back they can always just say he was brainwashed or blackmailed or whatever so technically there's always hope. You can't bring him back from the dead- and if the public doesn't forgive kids getting hurt or kidnapped they sure as hell wouldn't forgive one being murdered. :shrug:

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 5, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he needs to either lose the power without anyone else getting it or die in some other way. both are possible but deku just punching his head off would be really funny imo

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
AfO is actually a really fun villain because not only is he incredibly supportive of his underlings as has been pointed out, but he's also really polite, apologizing to Tiger (?) for taking his friend's quirk and everything. The fact that he seems like a pretty agreeable and nice guy is a good underpin to him callously murdering people on a whim.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twiddy posted:

AfO is actually a really fun villain because not only is he incredibly supportive of his underlings as has been pointed out, but he's also really polite, apologizing to Tiger (?) for taking his friend's quirk and everything. The fact that he seems like a pretty agreeable and nice guy is a good underpin to him callously murdering people on a whim.

Tiger, yeah. "Tora" is Japanese for "tiger", every member of the Pussycats is named after some kind of cat, and from what I can tell his name even uses the same character, so it's not a homophone thing; he's literally just called "Tiger" and the translators calling him "Tora" are being weird.

Also yeah, nthing the notion that AfO is a great and nasty villain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Tiger, yeah. "Tora" is Japanese for "tiger", every member of the Pussycats is named after some kind of cat, and from what I can tell his name even uses the same character, so it's not a homophone thing; he's literally just called "Tiger" and the translators calling him "Tora" are being weird.

Also yeah, nthing the notion that AfO is a great and nasty villain.

I am fine with calling him Tiger. But he differs from the other Wild Wild Pussycats in that his name is in japanese, while the others are just called Mandalay, Pixiebob and Ragdoll. But he differs from the others in a lot of ways, like being a dude and being named after a Tiger rather then a domestic cat breed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's quite something that the main villain is orders of magnitude better as a dad than the No. 2 hero.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
SOMEBODY has to try for the anime fatherhood award, y'know.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am fine with calling him Tiger. But he differs from the other Wild Wild Pussycats in that his name is in japanese, while the others are just called Mandalay, Pixiebob and Ragdoll. But he differs from the others in a lot of ways, like being a dude and being named after a Tiger rather then a domestic cat breed.

Hm, well, are there Japanese names for the different cat breeds they're named after? If not, that might be part of it.

Him being "Tiger" compared to a domestic breed is definitely part of the joke to go along with him being a huge, buff guy instead of a small, cute girl, though.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's quite something that the main villain is orders of magnitude better as a dad than the No. 2 hero.

A father to the kid whose real father he murdered, apparently quite violently, no less.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Hm, well, are there Japanese names for the different cat breeds they're named after? If not, that might be part of it.

No clue. I am betting it's just a another part to contrast Tiger.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

MonsterEnvy posted:

he is also a giant musclebound dude compared to three women who aren't super buff or w/e.

Also he loving rocks his skirt and boots and that ain't no lie.

Actually that just reminds me of something that's bugging me now;

Have Dabi, Double, and all these other Villains gotten some kind of power education? It seems weird that they're able to keep up with professionally trained, highly experienced Heroes if they're just joe averages who don't really have any training or whatever.

I understand them needing to kind of stand up to them; the manga already has weird issues with the Villains failing a lot, having them get constantly creamed by the Heroes too due to being inexperienced and untrained would just hammer them even harder. But I'm not sure where they've learned or managed to master their quirks, especially given how Quirks are apparently highly regulated. I wonder if there's some secret villain academy or something.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 6, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

he is also a giant musclebound dude compared to three women who aren't super buff or w/e.

Also he loving rocks his skirt and boots and that ain't no lie.

Actually that just reminds me of something that's bugging me now;

Have Dabi, Double, and all these other Villains gotten some kind of power education? It seems weird that they're able to keep up with professionally trained, highly experienced Heroes if they're just joe averages who don't really have any training or whatever.

I understand them needing to kind of stand up to them; the manga already has weird issues with the Villains failing a lot, having them get constantly creamed by the Heroes too due to being inexperienced and untrained would just hammer them even harder. But I'm not sure where they've learned or managed to master their quirks, especially given how Quirks are apparently highly regulated. I wonder if there's some secret villain academy or something.

I imagine that they've got pure street experience. You fight pro heroes enough, you're going to get good, and everyone in the Alliance (except possibly poor old Spinner) feels like they've seen combat before.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're also utterly lacking in scruples or reservations, Stain-followers somewhat aside; Toga is a serial killer, for example, and the plan at the camp involved trying to hospitalize if not outright kill as many people as possible with that poison. The heroes, meanwhile, are generally trying to, well, not kill or maim people, even villains.

Also, well, most of the villain fights we've seen have been against the students, who aren't super-experienced, even if they're attending Yueii. Pretty much every fight between proper heroes and these guys has been a stomp; No. 13 was not a professional fighter and got outplayed, while Ragdoll and Aizawa both got taken out by Noumus, for heroes we've seen actually lose (not counting Stain's victims), and Aizawa took on an actual horde of villains before that on his own. Pixie-bob is the only pro hero we've seen get taken down (except, you know, we didn't actually see that, we just cut back to it having happened) who both actually is part of a villain-fighting team and wasn't beaten by a thing specifically meant to crush heroes. So... Yeah. Basically the villains have been on a long losing streak since the series started, with only the Noumus and Stain breaking that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Roland Jones posted:

Also, well, most of the villain fights we've seen have been against the students, who aren't super-experienced, even if they're attending Yueii. Pretty much every fight between proper heroes and these guys has been a stomp; No. 13 was not a professional fighter and got outplayed, while Ragdoll and Aizawa both got taken out by Noumus, for heroes we've seen actually lose (not counting Stain's victims), and Aizawa took on an actual horde of villains before that on his own. Pixie-bob is the only pro hero we've seen get taken down (except, you know, we didn't actually see that, we just cut back to it having happened) who both actually is part of a villain-fighting team and wasn't beaten by a thing specifically meant to crush heroes. So... Yeah. Basically the villains have been on a long losing streak since the series started, with only the Noumus and Stain breaking that up.
One thing that I believe has been well established is that when it comes to the political situation, that doesn't matter. It's a good thing that the heroes are consistently beating the villains, but the population still feels threatened. Even if the villains have all been put down, the heroes have been incapable of preventing the attacks from happening even when they're actively trying to.

In a lot of the scenarios that hasn't been fair at all and the heroes are clearly trying to do everything they can, but the masses don't care about that.