Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

iwentdoodie posted:

That's loving awesome. The last time I saw them was in....04? With Chimera and Arch Enemy, and that was in a 2500 cap theatre. Tonight is a ~400 cap bar. But I did see Burton C Bell doing an encore set during a Ministry show.

Tonight they're playing Demanufacture in its entirety, apparently most shows have been 11 songs then a 7-8 song encore set. So excited.

Should be a good night out! I think Demanufacture is my favourite album due to how many hours I spent playing carmageddon in my teens!

I also went to a gig tonight to see The Moulettes, who are apparently classified as "chamber/psychedelic/prog/folk-Rock" . They are awesome, and the venue was also very nice.
I usually go to loud metal gigs in generally lovely venues so this was a nice change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

Shut down a door to door scammer type guy. Knocked on my door just now, I stepped out to meet him.

'Hi, I'm so and so from the company [I don't even think he specified...] and we are an independent contractor and don't provide services...'
"Okay."
'We've been getting a lot of complaints about rates going up, and we work with the big companies and people to help compare rates so you get the best price.'
"Okay..
'Now you're with us on the cable, right?'
[Us? I thought you didn't provide service...]
"I didn't say who I was with."
'Oh. Well you'
"Have a nice day."
As I'm going in I hear him go, 'Well I'm sorry you can't get a lower rate...'

We've had a couple of those come into the store and get shutdown by me. I could use one to vent on right now though, holy gently caress.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
For the love of god someone take away my checkbook.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got out to look at apartments today. Well, apartment. There's one complex that caught my eye a couple of weeks ago, I finally made an appointment to go tour the property.

Huge property, right on the lake, right on the highway (though all of the apartments with the floorplan I want are in the back, so not much highway noise), seems to be well maintained. Reasonable price, and a bit closer to work. The only downside is the place was built in 1982, but it seems pretty solid. The unit I'm going for is on a middle floor.

Manager and I talked in detail about my work and financial+credit situation. She asked what I made a month, I told her, showed her the deposits from Amazon. She said she should be able to make that work without a cosigner, my deposit may wind up being a little higher because of my credit (but the deposit maxes out at $300), and she'll split up the pet deposit across a couple of months. And they're fine with smaller aquariums - I have a 20 gallon.

Put in the application today, she said I should hear from her tomorrow. Target move-in will be mid-June, which gives me enough time to hunt down a washer, dryer, and some furniture (I got rid of almost all of my furniture years ago). I have a large storage room that I can put everything in until move-in day.

Also, several cities + 1 county away from any family. gently caress yes.

KozmoNaut posted:

The difference from my S4 Mini to my new Moto X is huge.

Even the difference between the 2014 and 2015 versions of the Moto X is massive. Not only the physical difference (2015 is a bit bigger), but the screen, camera, and processor are all much better on the 2015.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 6, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Moto X was WAY bigger than I expected since I never saw one in person and just ordered it off amazon. I opened the box and was like wtf :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

the spyder posted:

For the love of god someone take away my checkbook.

If you are not single, I'm trying to comphrend how. My S.O. is much more accepting for stray vehicles than just about any other woman but even then I need to resort to bribery to keep the peace

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

That looks like a nice apartment. Good luck!

Meanwhile, I just signed the closing disclosure and have final walkthrough tomorrow after work. Closing on Monday. So... this:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MustardFacial posted:

There used to be a goon-run racing league with automation. It was quite fun. Don't know what happened to it.

The second round didn't really get off the ground because despite MrChips putting in a lot of work, Automation's current state means there is pretty much a winning formula and you're either running that car or not running at all.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Praeda posted:

That looks like a nice apartment. Good luck!

Meanwhile, I just signed the closing disclosure and have final walkthrough tomorrow after work. Closing on Monday. So... this:

The floorplan is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, except for the fireplace (I'd prefer not to have one, I'd rather have the extra space - and I've seen too many fires caused by apartments not maintaining them)

My wishlist was basically this:
Full size washer/dryer connections (must have for me)
Dishwasher
Cable internet or fiber internet available (this has both)
Easy access to a major highway (this is on the highway, but the unit I'll likely wind up in is at the back of the property - and being a 800+ unit property, that's really far back)
Built after 1980 (phase 1 of this property went up in 1982) or before 1960
Relatively open floorplan
Breakfast bar
Decent size patio
Either 700+ sq ft for a 1 bedroom, or 500+ sq ft if it was a studio
Not in the ghetto of the ghetto
Middle floor - ground floor gets more insects and a higher chance of burglary, top floor is a bitch to keep cool in the summer - the one I'm supposed to get is on the 2nd floor of a 3 story
NO loving RESERVED PARKING OR REQUIRED VISITOR PARKING PASSES OR CONSTANT loving TOWING PARKING LOT NAZIS GODDAMNIT, JUST PUT IN ENOUGH PARKING TO BEGIN WITH GODDAMNIT
Reasonable-to-me rent - this is right at $1/sq ft, which is right at what I wanted to spend. That amount can put you in some lovely areas depending what city you want to live in. This is a decent area - not fancy, but decently middle class, and close to the lake.
Gated parking would have been nice, but meh, it's just security theater anyway.

The downsides to this place... a tornado hit the area in December, and there's still a lot of damage nearby. This property got spared aside from a bunch of broken windows, but across the highway is a now-empty strip center that's missing all of its windows and much of its roof. A sister property to this one was damaged badly enough that it's being torn down. The previous management company and owners are caught up in a massive lawsuit over how they handled everything in the days after the storm.

Congrats on your newly-purchased money pit! :v: Seriously though I'd much prefer to own, but I'm not in a financial position to do so right now, and I don't even know if I'm going to stay in the area long-term

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's the same size as my condo, except I have one more bedroom that is exactly 100 ft². It's a great size for a single guy (or single dad in my case). I can entertain a party of 6-8 but clean it top to bottom in like 90 minutes.

Phone news:

The plot thickens - It's still missing, but there is a security camera that points at my daughter's locker, so we'll know for sure in a day or two whether she lost it or someone took it. She's confident it was in there and stolen so we'll see.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eh, with the "dining area" being such a small space, and basically being part of the living room, I was going to just get a tiny breakfast table and 2 chairs. I can't imagine properly entertaining 8 people in this space.

Unless it's just a bunch of people hanging out and getting drunk and :2bong:. In which case there's plenty of floor space!

It's actually somewhat similar to my last apartment, just bigger. My last apartment was 601 sq ft (and apparently rents for nearly $900/month now, what the everliving gently caress?! I paid $650/mo!). The dining area wasn't part of the entrance at my old place though.

Old apartment:

I do like how the (hopefully) new place angles the fireplace though, so I won't be losing as much space to it. Also, the cable jacks are actually in a usable space, and placed such that I can wall mount the TV above the fireplace. The old apartment put the cable jack in that tiny corner between the patio door and the fireplace, with no power outlet nearby. :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 6, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Just sprayed myself in the face with gasoline. Time to stop for the night. I'm exhausted.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I live in a 600sqft townhouse with a 60lb husky/German shepherd who likes to run up and down the stairs and also literally bounce off the wall above the couch to then run around the coffee table then bounce off the other wall

We're looking at a 1400sqft house with a huge fenced in back yard next week and I am incredibly erect

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Liquid Communism posted:

The second round didn't really get off the ground because despite MrChips putting in a lot of work, Automation's current state means there is pretty much a winning formula and you're either running that car or not running at all.

The second round went off fairly successfully in Let's Play back in January; I didn't advertise it much because with all the changes I made from the first round, I wasn't sure how much work it would be in the end (turns out, it was quite a bit less).

I will also admit that my ruleset for the first round (and to a lesser extent the second) was flawed. The rules I am finalising for this next round (which will be a multi-class challenge set in 1989) look, at the moment, to be rather well balanced indeed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

That sounds 100% realistic though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

some texas redneck posted:

Eh, with the "dining area" being such a small space, and basically being part of the living room, I was going to just get a tiny breakfast table and 2 chairs. I can't imagine properly entertaining 8 people in this space.

I do like how the (hopefully) new place angles the fireplace though, so I won't be losing as much space to it. Also, the cable jacks are actually in a usable space, and placed such that I can wall mount the TV above the fireplace. The old apartment put the cable jack in that tiny corner between the patio door and the fireplace, with no power outlet nearby. :fuckoff:

What I do with my dining room is I have the table jammed against the wall with 2 of the chairs trapped so my living room is spacious feeling, but when I have company over, I turn my coffee table sideways, move my recliner about 2 feet towards the TV and then pull the table out so people can sit at the wall side. I have a triangular table designed for 6 but if you put people on the corners it actually holds 9, and I've done it before. And the living room still is useable after dinner, you just wouldn't want to watch TV like that.

I actually put my TV on a stand right in front of the fireplace because otherwise it's a huge chunk of wall that is unused, as I never ever light a fire.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

Should be a good night out! I think Demanufacture is my favourite album due to how many hours I spent playing carmageddon in my teens!

+1 for getting introduced to Fear Factory through Carmageddon. Still one of my absolut favorite albums ever.

I am so hyped to go see them in August. I hope they play Demanufacture in its entirety like on the US tour, but they've also teased doing Obsolete instead, which would be equally awesome.

leica posted:

My Moto X was WAY bigger than I expected since I never saw one in person and just ordered it off amazon. I opened the box and was like wtf :v:

It's pretty close to phablet size, but somehow it actually feels smaller than the Galaxy S5 I have at work, even though the Moto X has a larger screen.

For the longest time, I thought I would never get a phone with a screen bigger than ~4.5", but here I am with a bigass ~5.5" screen phone, and I don't mind.

I remember when the original iPhone came out with its "enormous" 3.5" screen :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 6, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tomarse posted:

I also went to a gig tonight to see The Moulettes, who are apparently classified as "chamber/psychedelic/prog/folk-Rock" . They are awesome, and the venue was also very nice.
I usually go to loud metal gigs in generally lovely venues so this was a nice change!

It was loving amazing. Even though now I'm only getting three hours of sleep :v:

Other than some drunk broad grabbing my dick and trying to pull me away from the stage by it, it was an awesome night.

But I feel like I'm getting way too old for this poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
SpaceX landed their first stage on a barge. Again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Welp, someone stole my forester. This is going to be fun to deal with

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

That loving sucks, but at least it wasn't the Baja.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That loving sucks, but at least it wasn't the Baja.

Yeah, it's safely tucked away in the garage and blocked in so it's safe. Guess we have to register the Veloster a little sooner than expected so that we have something to drive around in while we deal with insurance.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

SpaceX landed their first stage on a barge. Again.

I am so drat gay for Elon Musk it's not even funny. And I'm ostensibly a straight dude. What he's doing across all fronts is simply incredible.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bajaha posted:

That sucks but if this happened to either of my two cars I would be happy. :confuoot:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Who the gently caress steals a Forester?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

This guy wasn't even as legit as that :v: . No company clothes, just grey-ish business casual clothes and his jacket had some stoner/rasta looking patch on the lapel.

In the past month we've had two kids going door to door selling offbrand candy for their "charities." I wonder how they get roped into this poo poo or if their parents are just doing it for easy cash. hosed up either way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe the question isn't who, but what.

Has the Gorester been kept under constant surveillance?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Phone news:

The plot thickens - It's still missing, but there is a security camera that points at my daughter's locker, so we'll know for sure in a day or two whether she lost it or someone took it. She's confident it was in there and stolen so we'll see.

What kind of phone?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Who the gently caress steals a Forester?

With the frameless windows they can't be that hard to break into. Maybe the gold wheels were just too fancy :smug: my bet is ease of breaking in and opportunity = joyride through some fields. God knows it's not something crazy desirable or rare.

On the one hand the insurance pay out should be nice, on the other it sucks losing a good beater, plus we had some gift cards for a nice dinner in the dash cubby compartment and I'm out an obdii scanner :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The guy who sold me a 99 explorer left a $25 applebees gift card in the glove box. He must've felt bad for me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe the question isn't who, but what.

Has the Gorester been kept under constant surveillance?

I heard a rumbling last night. I'll check the garage for remains, Bajaha.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bajaha posted:

Don't worry, they probably didn't make it very far before realizing they were better off without it.

As for the stuff that was in it, hopefully if it's found it's still in there. My dad's old Civic got stolen years ago in between him loading it up for a ski trip and coming back outside after breakfast, by the time he'd called the insurance company the cops had already found it. It was stolen for a joyride, they rammed it into a snowbank and stole his slippers but left the several hundred dollars in ski equipment in the back and all the other stuff too, with the engine still running and the doors open. He put a junkyard steering column in it and drove it for another few years before tailgating a semi truck (he's a huge tailgater... that was the second time he'd wrecked the civic) and writing it off on the mansfield bar when it braked unexpectedly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think if someone stole my Civic I'd be most mad about having to pay my office building $20 for a new parking pass.

Cage posted:

The guy who sold me a 99 explorer left a $25 applebees gift card in the glove box. He must've felt bad for me.

The nice middle-aged white lady who sold me my 03 Impreza left a Kanye West CD in the CD player. When I offered to mail it back to her she was like "eh whatever."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I forgot my rage against the machine cd in the head unit when i sold my e30 to gabe newell. i'm sure he appreciated it

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm surprised the knock on startup didn't wake everybody up. drat thing is noisy when you first start it up

E: the forester came with a dollar in small change in the center consol, a pocket packet of Kleenex, and a sohc timing belt diagram in the give box (these are dohc so who knows wtf)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mine rattles very angrily at startup now that it has an EJ251 in it again, and also knocks basically all the time while driving it. I'm not sure how long I have before the engine explodes.

God damnit :argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Mine rattles very angrily at startup now that it has an EJ251 in it again, and also knocks basically all the time while driving it. I'm not sure how long I have before the engine explodes.

God damnit :argh:

Put some Rislone in it and 10W30.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Your rental application has been received by all parties and has been preliminarily APPROVED.. A leasing consultant will contact you shortly, or feel free to contact us.

:woop:

Talked to them a little while ago, they're getting the lease packet put together for me now. Apparently my credit is better than I thought..

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

:woop:

Talked to them a little while ago, they're getting the lease packet put together for me now. Apparently my credit is better than I thought..
Grats, dude! Nothing like that new apartment smell (I hope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh don't worry, that smell will very quickly be displaced by :420: smoke. And a lot of farts, since there's a ton of taco places around there (including one that's open 24/7).

Downside: I thought I was getting a 2nd floor unit. Turns out this one is on the 3rd (top) floor. :doh: But there's a lot of trees around the building, so hopefully electric won't be $rape$. I'll just have to figure out where the hell to go if a tornado drops by to say hello... probably the bathroom in the fitness center..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 6, 2016

• Locked thread