Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Shakill OReal posted:

Is there any way to easily trade items down between SLs once you get them? I'm not too enthusiastic about most of the early-game weapons and would love to use some of the cooler late-game stuff for the whole game.

I'm fairly certain that if you connect via passwords then SL and upgrade doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

might as well be LASERTAG

Put sign where the buff rear end in a top hat is, want to run past the cathedral knights.

can do, I'll just be a second

edit: it's up now

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 6, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

It's more the principle of the matter than anything else. Like, I beat him first try because I knew the score with the later bosses by that point (they can either animation cancel or pull out outrageously fast attacks) and was holding up a Black Knight Shield for most of the fight, but anyone trying to get by with just dodging is probably going to slam their head against a wall when they come up against him. In a game series that established itself on a slow, ponderous, tactical combat system, having you still stuck with a grotesquely slow action queue trying to fight enemies who can do fighting game combos feels both unfair and unfun.

That is indeed how I approached him and the entire game in turn. Pontiff, Dancer, and Nameless King gave me trouble but Oceiros was as simple as dodging behind him every chance I got. I don't think the fight's amazing but it was more straightforward than most.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

HnK416 posted:

Anyone on PC have a set of Warden Twinblades they'd be cool with parting with? I want to try a Luck/Dex character and would really, really like to not have to wait for a good chunk of the game before it gets viable.

I can hook you up if you're still looking.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks a bunch Manatee and whoever else it was that put their sign down. MLGS here I come!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea np

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Thanks a bunch Manatee and whoever else it was that put their sign down. MLGS here I come!

No problem!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oceiros went down like a sack of bricks on the first attempt to the point where I was wondering if there was some weird ~*narrative*~ thing going on, but I guess I just got super lucky RNG. He didn't so much fight me as kinda throw a tantrum in my general vicinity.

Vordt was also a (close) victory on the first attempt but every other boss took between like 5 and 30 tries so I'm not even good/overlevelled or whatever.

That's my Oceiros story, see ya.

e: vid http://youtube.com/watch?v=DxXYN64I-do

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 6, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Skull Knight posted:

I'd say mid 20s, with +0. I've gotten about 50 ears this way....

What's the point of +0? Given the way matchmaking works, shouldn't you raise your weapon to at least +2?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Dunno if anyone else here is into speedrunning, but Distortion2's gotten the all bosses run down to 1:06:07 in-game time: https://www.twitch.tv/distortion2/v/64479637

He does quit out to skip long door animations and to reset aggro on some enemies, which is currently allowed in DS3 runs.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

What makes me doubt this is that none of the architecture in the Profaned Capital really matches up to Drangleic. The jailer's are the only survivors of the profaned flame, and they don't appear to draw any design inspiration from DS2 either. I just can't figure out where else this place would be.

Ah, but have you considered that the gold and jewels horded everywhere are the exact assets used in Castle Drangleic during the twin dragonriders???

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the Profaned Capital isn't somewhere from a previous game?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
So I'm looking at other greathammers on the wiki, and It looks like they're all pretty similiar in AR except the crappy ones that are harder to get. Noice. I'm glad I can still with my bordt hammer forever (until i get mornes way later)

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Viperix posted:

I can hook you up if you're still looking.

Suuuure am. I'll be at the High Wall bonfire. Password will be LASERTAG

Edit: haven't even gotten that far with this character so High Wall it is

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 6, 2016

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Maybe the Profaned Capital isn't somewhere from a previous game?

If you revive Gilligan and get him to fix all the ladders back up you climb out into Majula.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Alright, we'll give it a shot. Look for "IX."

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

BoonyPC posted:

If you revive Gilligan and get him to fix all the ladders back up you climb out into Majula.

the abyss started in the well in majula, you can't prove me wrong.

The horny cat is manus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just started a dex build and I'm not sure what to use outside of picking up the uchigatana right away. any suggestions? also, is sharp infusion still bad?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yhorm sounds sort of like Yharnam, proving that dark souls 3 is really bloodborne!!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Oceiros when you die: Ignorant slaves, ohhhh umbasalotte

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Thank you Viperix! :toot:
Hope you get some use out of the gold coins

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Still plugging away though ng+, I think I'm at sl122. poo poo is still fun, but I get the impression that the higher I level, the less likely I am to run into co op or PvP opportunities. Definitely seeing fewer signs, and invasions are pretty rare even if I run around kindled/embered/whatever all the time.

I get the impression that for the most fun PvP I'm going to have to make a new character with a very specific lower level build in mind, rather than my current 120+ quality build.

Also, it's pretty frustrating to not be able to upgrade a weapon past 6 until you get to areas with titanite chunks.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

turtlecrunch posted:

Oceiros when you die: Ignorant slaves, ohhhh umbasalotte

Oceiros, yes, but when you rearrange the letters, "Sir Ecoo". Miyazaki-sama loving does it again!!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
is there some gimmick i'm missing with yhorm the giant or is he basically a long, boring endurance fight

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Suspicious Dish posted:

is there some gimmick i'm missing with yhorm the giant or is he basically a long, boring endurance fight

You missed a gimmick.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Look around the room for anything you can interact with specifically an item you can pick up if you already got it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i picked up that item but it did like half the damage of my normal +7 sharp weapon

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Suspicious Dish posted:

i picked up that item but it did like half the damage of my normal +7 sharp weapon

Try the other attacks, too

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lmao thanks just did 6000 damage

edit: and i have no idea how i did it

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 6, 2016

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hold the weapon skill button for about five seconds, until the sword "charges", then use a heavy attack (while still holding the weapon skill button). Once the sword is charged, it'll remain charged until you do the special attack, so you can let go of the weapon skill button to do some rolling or whatever.

It's a really poorly communicated gimmick, especially since no other weapon skill in the game works like this. I don't know how anyone is supposed to figure this out on their first try, finding a five second charging window is hard enough when you know what you're supposed to do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

hold the skill button to charge it (you'll know when it's done because the wind will increase around the sword), then heavy attack while still holding the skill button down

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Suspicious Dish posted:

You hold left trigger and charge up the sword. When you are finished charing it (visual and audio cue) you attack Yhorm while still holding left trigger. He gets blasted and takes 6000 damage. Repeat until he dies.

From Earth posted:

Hold the weapon skill button for about five seconds, until the sword "charges", then use a heavy attack (while still holding the weapon skill button). Once the sword is charged, it'll remain charged until you do the special attack, so you can let go of the weapon skill button to do some rolling or whatever.

It's a really poorly communicated gimmick, especially since no other weapon skill in the game works like this. I don't know how anyone is supposed to figure this out on their first try, finding a five second charging window is hard enough when you know what you're supposed to do.

I guess From Software planned on you dying, reading up the lore of the sword and mash buttons until you know it.

Hubbl3 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 6, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

From Earth posted:

dark souls 3 assumes you've played demon's souls. it's the storm ruler's greatsword and, if you've played demon's souls, it does what you think it does in that boss fight

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Alright, first playthrough beaten.

Praise the Sun and the Moon and the Soup and the Amazing Chest and Try Jumping for joy forever because that was my face during the entire fight.

There is only one kind of final boss that would be the best way to end this trilogy and that was exactly it

And now to marathon all five Souls games in order of release. Hell yeah. :darksouls:

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

dark souls 3 assumes you've played demon's souls. it's the storm ruler's greatsword and, if you've played demon's souls, it does what you think it does in that boss fight

Which brings me to the question: How did you know about this in Demon Souls?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

from software should release demon's souls on pc then

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Or, y'know, just read the item description.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Hubbl3 posted:

Which brings me to the question: How did you know about this in Demon Souls?

You didn't need to charge it in Demon's Souls, it made the tornados every time you swung it.

I had to look up how to do the Yhorm fight. :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

Or, y'know, just read the item description.

during the boss fight? ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yhorm is just a really bad fight. Don't make excuses.