Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yes, well, not every run can be a winner. At least not at my skill/focus level. On the plus side, I generally have fun losing rather than tediously grind three floors before trying to have fun and still maybe losing.

Mostly it just bugged me about how everyone insisted the best way to play the game was a terribly un-fun way to play it, which led to a lot of people not having fun with the game. I didn't exactly go into log files or cheatengine data mining to support my perspective so I didn't try to claim it wasn't confirmation bias, but hey. As it turns out...

(If that was you thanks for watching the stream btw. I should post here when I stream more often, come to think of it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The hilarious part is that the unfun way to play will actually be the most effective now :haw:

One more change I'd like to see is free chests on floor 1 like Isaac or 2 buyable keys so you're guaranteed to open a chest and get something for the boss and go to the oubliette.

Making the drain monster guaranteed on floor 3 or 4 and a way to choose passives over guns from treasures would be welcome.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 6, 2016

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I really wasn't crazy to see more ammo after using real guns.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Honestly the main thing this game seems to be lacking is any way to go for a build. You're completely at the mercy of what the chests spit out at you, what random shrines/special rooms/supplementary shops happen to show up, and what few things the shop has. There's no way to pull any isaac-like builds where synergies matter and there's no way to get any exploit loops to build up money or anything. You just use what you get and hope it's enough to kill things before you make a mistake and die.

I like a lot of the passive items, I don't like many of the active items (there's only a few that are really good, most are just tertiary to anything you're doing) and a lot of the actual guns are redundant. There are so many mostly-interchangeable variations to the basic pistol and none of them feel distinct. At least the various rifles/shotguns are decently different and the high end crazy guns are all mostly unique.

You can't even make decisions like "if I get this guon stone I know more of them will show up" so you can shoot for orbitals, or something similar for familiars/followers, or gunknight armor, or anything like that.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Nighthand posted:

You can't even make decisions like "if I get this guon stone I know more of them will show up" so you can shoot for orbitals, or something similar for familiars/followers, or gunknight armor, or anything like that.

If you eat a spice you can be drat sure you'll be seeing a lot more spice

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The store selection being so limited is also weird. Items are expensive as gently caress so you'd never be able to buy a lot of them anyway. A tier items range from 80-120ish depending on floor, this is ~1/3 of the money total in a dragun run (and you're not guaranteed a shop on floor).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I only buy keys and if I have the capability to steal I usually save it for the 5th floor because she always seems to have something really good.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I only buy keys and if I have the capability to steal I usually save it for the 5th floor because she always seems to have something really good.

Yeah, keys are way better value than most items.

Double vision, gun friendship and lich finger are cheap and worth buying. Knight armor is also cheap and probably worth buying on floor 1/oubliette as long as you can still grab keys.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The super soaker is the best gun in the game if you pair it with Bouncy Bullets

this completely fucks the physics. You can wiggle the crosshair around your guy, and the waves will bounce off the walls dozens of times, dropping the framerate to the single digits and wiping the screen like a railgun, but cheaper and without needing to charge.

Zorodius fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 6, 2016

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Zorodius posted:

Did you guys see this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/4hzyxz/you_maybe_should_use_your_starter_gun_for_half_of/d2u4pej?context=1

you can't roll standard ammo drops while holding your starter at the end of a room.

that explains a whole lot.

This is hilarious after all the people defending the hell out of the RNG difficulty on Steam forums.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Nighthand posted:

Finally vindicated, I've been saying since day one that I rarely had ammo problems and I used my fun guns constantly, and that's exactly why. Some guy came into my stream a couple weeks ago and harped on me for not using my started for the first three floors and I was like "watch" and proceeded to get ammo drops more often than I could even use them the whole run through.

That was me btw and technically I was right since I was playing with only my starter I never saw ammo drops so I was like hey buddy don't use guns in this game it never drops ammo. Just happened to be the case we were both right.

:edit: also finally hammered out those stupid shambling rounds and got this

drink_bleach fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 6, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I like to find the Jetpack + Ring of Triggers and then laugh like a mad king as I drown the world in bees.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I'm an idiot. I decided to try and bring the TV down to the forge but I can't stop rolling everywhere all the time. The first run I brought it to the 2nd floor elevator and then rolled into it, dropping the TV and immediately going to the next floor. After I restarted I killed the 3rd floor boss, rolled through the door to the elevator room, realized my mistake and went back only for the rat to have stolen it already.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So uh, that glitch chest huh? Got it on my first floor. Wasn't expecting that at all. I didn't last long.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Carecat posted:

This is hilarious after all the people defending the hell out of the RNG difficulty on Steam forums.

Seriously though this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of because when you combine it with the gradually increasing enemy hp as soon as the enemies are just edging out a whatever you were using to wreck them your best bet is to use the starter to finish the last shot or two. And it's not like having it in the table means you are going to get enough to proceed through your run. Then as soon as you go out of ammo on all guns it's impossible to get ammo drops.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Nighthand posted:

Honestly the main thing this game seems to be lacking is any way to go for a build. You're completely at the mercy of what the chests spit out at you, what random shrines/special rooms/supplementary shops happen to show up, and what few things the shop has.

So, more like a Rogue-like and less like a Rogue-lite?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Seriously though this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of because when you combine it with the gradually increasing enemy hp as soon as the enemies are just edging out a whatever you were using to wreck them your best bet is to use the starter to finish the last shot or two. And it's not like having it in the table means you are going to get enough to proceed through your run. Then as soon as you go out of ammo on all guns it's impossible to get ammo drops.

Yeah that's why it was a bug

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Nevvy Z posted:

It isn't intended behavior.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It's weird, last night after reading about that I was playing the Marine, with no other guns dropped yet, and got an ammo drop that I couldn't possibly use on the first floor. I guess that was the room roll and not the ammo drop roll?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Shima Honnou posted:

It's weird, last night after reading about that I was playing the Marine, with no other guns dropped yet, and got an ammo drop that I couldn't possibly use on the first floor. I guess that was the room roll and not the ammo drop roll?

Yup, that was the room roll.

Hopefully they make it so ammo drop chances go up with: more guns + less ammo in said guns

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zorodius posted:

Did you guys see this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/4hzyxz/you_maybe_should_use_your_starter_gun_for_half_of/d2u4pej?context=1

you can't roll standard ammo drops while holding your starter at the end of a room.

that explains a whole lot.

Oh thank gently caress this is going to change goddamn everything.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
What's even the logic behind money drops? I cleared a small room of two bullets and a bandanna without getting any money. Then the next room the first bulletkin I kill drops three money.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Radioactive Toy posted:

I'm an idiot. I decided to try and bring the TV down to the forge but I can't stop rolling everywhere all the time. The first run I brought it to the 2nd floor elevator and then rolled into it, dropping the TV and immediately going to the next floor. After I restarted I killed the 3rd floor boss, rolled through the door to the elevator room, realized my mistake and went back only for the rat to have stolen it already.

It's really funny how interesting that quest ends up being. I thought it would just be a nuisance to pick it up every room after rolling, but then you get the hazard rooms and you have to figure out how to throw the dumb thing across pits or moving platforms. I got trolled one room away from the Forge with two moving platforms and a gap between them, and somehow the TV floated over the pit until I could pick it back up. Was the most nerve-wracking experience.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Cheating in unlimited keys is making me enjoy the game a lot more. If you're frustrated with the rate of drops, I highly recommend it!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Patch Notes
Fixed a bug where holding an infinite ammo gun when the last enemy in a room is killed prevented normal ammo crates from spawning
Water drums will now always spawn in the <REDACTED> room if you've used them before
Sticky crossbow bolts will no longer damage players when detonated
Enemies now immediately drop currency when transmogrified
Orbital items will no longer shoot <REDACTED> (secret character unlock)
Improved performance of the Pilot's past considerably
Fixed a dungeon generation bug where short hallways could intersect with other rooms
Fixed a bug where transitioning levels while in a conversation would break player movement (e.g. boss rush elevator)
Updated input code handling in an effort to resolve multiple controller bugs
Added the option to display an aim cursor while using a controller
Coolness's cooldown reduction is now capped at 50%
Fixed an exploit where some guns could be fired extremely quickly by switching weapons between shots (e.g. the sword Blashphemy)
Killing mimics in reward rooms no longer has a chance to spawn room clear rewards
The balloon can no longer attach to dogs or other companions
Improved one method of traversing the giant pit in the fourth Chamber
Improved bee performance
The end-of-floor elevator will now come even if the player is stealthed
Discount items will now work correctly when acquired by the coop player
Changing items while using the grappling hook no longer breaks player movement
The Dog item is no longer invisible when popping out of chests
Added a faster uniform scaling graphics option (Fast Scaling)
Fixed a visual bug with the Lost Adventurer's movement
Fixed a text issue which displayed "%META_CURRENCY" in some languages
Fixed a bug which could cause the pause menu to display incorrectly when returning to the Breach
Fixed multiple bugs caused by dying while inside a minecart
Fixed a visual bug which could cause the Bullet King to show up as two thrones
Fixed a problem with the Shopkeeper's dialogue when players enter/leave the shop
Fixed a typo in the Ammonomicon for the BSG
Fixed a bug where the Gunsling King could keep adding icons to your minimap
Glitch chests can no longer spawn in the tutorial
Players can no longer open the gun select menu while the full map is shown
Fixed an issue where specific combinations of guns could double all gun capacity

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Do you all want some cheese with to go with the whine?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Carecat posted:

Patch Notes

What a rude awakening this would have been.

Good notes though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

Do you all want some cheese with to go with the whine?

No I want the game to be worth the money I paid for it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
To celebrate the new patch, i bring presents:

If you're on PC and the name "Shambling Rounds" triggers your PTSD, i have just the thing for you... I wrote a script to change the # of hunting targets killed.
Copy&Paste the RAW Paste Data from here into Cheat Engine: http://pastebin.com/NNupwTNH

Make sure you've killed an enemy (any kind of enemy, not just the one you need to hunt) before you activate the script. When it's active, kill another enemy (any) to update the addresses and now you can directly edit how many hunting targets you've killed for your current objective.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm going to assume that ammo fix wasn't in the PS4 patch, meaning it's going to be weeks before a fix? I just started playing again yesterday :smith:.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This patch could be the game changer

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

No I want the game to be worth the money I paid for it.

lmao

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Well I just played a round post-patch using non-starter weapons the majority of the time and I believe I got 2 ammo drops the entire time. The chance still seems pretty low, even if the bug was fixed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The bug only happened when using your starter gun. So if you ran around using only non-starter guns as soon as possible, you'll notice no difference pre- and post-patch.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

quote:

does this mean some poor fucker was trying to learn what the buttons do and got suddenly dropped into a fight against double glitch beholsters?

because that's perfect. In fact that's pretty much how the Demons' Souls tutorial goes

Also, you can get a crosshair on joystick aim now? Sounds like a big improvement, and even more advantage for controller over M+K

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So here I am, running along. Haven't beat the game yet, got stone walled (HEH) by the fourth floor boss the few times I make it that far.

Second floor I get the winchester rifle. Huh. Doesn't seem to special, can't one shot the mooks and I've already got a few other weapons I'd rather use, but it might be good for a boss fight, whatever. Banana the snake to death, no problem. PS gently caress using the banana for bossfights actually figuring out when I can throw them is so distracting. I get muscle relaxant as a reward! Improved accuracy, cool cool I'll use the hammer pistol more, then.

Now, turns out the muscle relaxant does something else, too. What good is accuracy plus for already sniper-ish accurate guns, huh? Nah, it increases the damage on those. By a lot. As in "oh hey, why can the winchester one shot everything on the fourth floor" or "wow I did treadnaught in two clips" a lot.

It's uh, pretty fukken good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zorodius posted:

does this mean some poor fucker was trying to learn what the buttons do and got suddenly dropped into a fight against double glitch beholsters?

because that's perfect. In fact that's pretty much how the Demons' Souls tutorial goes

In warframe under some conditions your game could get randomly attacked by an evil warframe who would appear, call out the host by name and try to kill them until either one died, claiming he was avenging [name of whatever boss they last killed]. Due to warframe's "balance" he would get pretty much instantly reduced to a puddle of goo when playing with a well equipped group, or he would unavoidably do the same to you if you were solo and not using really overpowered gear.

For awhile it was possible for him to show up in the tutorial.

"Ahh, it's you, xXweedg0ku420Xx...the death of DEFAULT_BOSS_NAME_STRING shall not go unpunished!"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
If you're a real rear end in a top hat, I mean a total plonker, a pencil-lipped, butter-dipped, shoes-untied poltroon, here's what you can do:

You can juggle an extra active item back to sell at the shop by repeatedly swapping it with one on the ground. It takes some effort, especially getting around doors, but that's how you get your 31 shell casings, and really stick it to that rat.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It took me entirely too long to figure it out, but the Compressed Air Tank can't work on the Dragun. Is it the same with the magic lamp/bait launcher/etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Magic Lamp and Bait Launcher both work on Dragun. I'm guessing the Compressed Air Tank doesn't work because it has to travel along the ground and he exists over a pit.

I've had a few runs where that's my only good gun too. :(