Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I always rather liked red bolters on Ultramarines. It's a bit cartoonier, but it helps them pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Those Ultramarines own hard. I feel like they need one more spot color though. Do heresy era marines have the whole system of different colored helmets for leaders? That would help.

The sergeants have white helmets with a blue stripe. I tried adding more white to them, but when I did white faceplates they looked like they were ready for hockey, not warfare.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I always rather liked red bolters on Ultramarines. It's a bit cartoonier, but it helps them pop.
I thought about it, but I want them a little more grimdark. I added the blue and gold stripes to their guns to give them a little more interest, but it's not quite the same. I think with Mk IV squads and such they'll have eye lenses painted, which will help break things up a little too.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Totally makes sense. I brain farted, forgot you already have super bright awesome Ultras. Go grim dark as hell with these.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SRM posted:

I thought about it, but I want them a little more grimdark. I added the blue and gold stripes to their guns to give them a little more interest, but it's not quite the same. I think with Mk IV squads and such they'll have eye lenses painted, which will help break things up a little too.

If you want to add a bit of red, maybe something like this lovely Photoshop?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Red kill marks on the bolters could work too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I dig both of those ideas! I'll do them up on the next batch of 10.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Another idea:

- Prior to Calth, a red helmet on an ultramarine indicated a marine who had been censured for a military crime, like insubordination, offending legion tradition, etc.

- After Calth, red helmets were customary for squad sergeants. The reason was two fold: Guilliman found that red helmets helped the squad coordinate around their sergeant during a fight if vox was cut or jammed between marines, and also as a way of honoring Aeonid Thiel

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Aeonid_Thiel

So you could add a red helmet to a guy in a squad to indicate someone who was censured.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Oh poo poo, I didn't know it was a symbol of rank that soon after. In that case, I'm gonna have some red and racing stripes on my sergeants! I hope Thiel gets a model, I really dug his character.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
drat those Ultras look awesome!

Very very nice.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cool ultras, cool pirate, good times

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Any decent guides for painting stone/statues/stone statues?

Alternatively tips for how to do roman marble statues where some of the original garish paintjob has survived. But that might look silly...

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Is it weird that I think this actually makes for a kind of cool effect? It could be like, a statue in a square, or something (Depending on the size of the mini, of course).

(Note: I am not suggesting you ruin your minis because I think they look cooler that way. Unless you're down with that.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brewsuke posted:

Is it weird that I think this actually makes for a kind of cool effect? It could be like, a statue in a square, or something (Depending on the size of the mini, of course).

(Note: I am not suggesting you ruin your minis because I think they look cooler that way. Unless you're down with that.)

I think its cool if you used it intentionally in a certain way. I was thinking that putting those kinda pockmark holes in the bones of a tyranid could look pretty sweet. Or a statue or something.

But its a nasty surprise if you aren't planning on it and it wouldn't look good on lots of minis.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

I think its cool if you used it intentionally in a certain way. I was thinking that putting those kinda pockmark holes in the bones of a tyranid could look pretty sweet. Or a statue or something.

But its a nasty surprise if you aren't planning on it and it wouldn't look good on lots of minis.

Oh, obviously. It'd suck if you wanted cool space armor dudes or soldiers and instead you got a monument to the hubris of mankind or whatever.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That stone looks to porous to bother making a statue out of.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I had that happen in spots on some of my minis that should have been put further away (basically got hit by over-spray that wasn't intended for them) and the poo poo is brutally, brutally hard to paint. Nothing goes on smooth and it really fucks with ... everything.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Fyrbrand posted:

I painted my Pirate Gorman finally. This was an exclusive alt sculpt given to Press Gangers awhile back. He's a pirate, so I made him gaudy/fancy compared to his usual matte black look.

The shading on that black is really nice, makes it look a lot more cloth-y than if it had higher contrast/brighter highlights. How'd you do that, if you don't mind my asking?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Time for something seriously old-school! I had a hankering for Star Trek ships, and like my father before me I got ahold of some of the 1970s Lou Zoucchi plastic Star Trek TOS models. These things have been sitting in a warehouse for 30+ years - the copyright labels say 1976! The level of detail is amazing considering their age.

I hesitantly assembled one and applied a set of Star Fleet Battles decals. Then I got ahold of an ADB Fast Destroyer with an unusual spade-shaped primary hull, and had a hell of a time applying the markings.

and the underside, showing the big gap where the sensor dish normally sits

I've converted this one slightly to put the dish in a deckhouse on the engine pylon. The rest of the squadron will have the original big silly rotating dish the way Franz Joseph intended.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Cross-post from the Oath thread

Finally finished the centaurs with final touch-ups. I'm not going to obsess with filling all the gaps, otherwise I'll be doing this forever.

Sadly the eyes don't look great.
I ruined my insane detail brush and was too impatient to wait to get a new one, so I used a toothpick. Not that I was great white proper tools. I might extend the base, to make it square (40mm, or 4x4 1/2" squares) to work better for the my grid-based skirmish level game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Could use a wash. Or dip.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That centaur's spear is happy to see you :cheeky:

A wash isn't a bad idea but the bodies of those centaurs look so messy it might highlight stuff you don't want it to. What are those made out of even? Did you greenstuff the cloaks or something? The armor plates look fine but the body just looks like somebody poured caulking all over it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Foolster41 posted:

Cross-post from the Oath thread

Finally finished the centaurs with final touch-ups. I'm not going to obsess with filling all the gaps, otherwise I'll be doing this forever.

Sadly the eyes don't look great.
I ruined my insane detail brush and was too impatient to wait to get a new one, so I used a toothpick. Not that I was great white proper tools. I might extend the base, to make it square (40mm, or 4x4 1/2" squares) to work better for the my grid-based skirmish level game.

These are Bones, right? You can heat them up in a pan of water, hold them in them in the shape you want, and dunk them in ice water to shock them that way permanently.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Cat Face Joe posted:

These are Bones, right? You can heat them up in a pan of water, hold them in them in the shape you want, and dunk them in ice water to shock them that way permanently.
Yeah they are. You mean for the spears? How hot should I get the water?like boiling and hold them with something like tongs?

E: I see you did, from the other posts I missed.

Zaphod42 posted:

A wash isn't a bad idea but the bodies of those centaurs look so messy it might highlight stuff you don't want it to. What are those made out of even? Did you greenstuff the cloaks or something? The armor plates look fine but the body just looks like somebody poured caulking all over it.

Yeah, I'm kind of afraid a wash will make it look worse. That's plastic, how the model came. I think it's supposed to be a cloth with holes in it? They actually look alright from a distance, it's hard to really see the little gaps.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 4, 2016

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

sassassin posted:

That stone looks to porous to bother making a statue out of.

It was a nice solid statue before the acid rain storm hit Typherius-3. But yeah I would totally turn that dude into terrain.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah they are. You mean for the spears? How hot should I get the water?like boiling and hold them with something like tongs?

I get it pretty hot but I do it all bare handed. Definitely not boiling. Turn the heat off and put them for a maybe 10 seconds and take them out and you'll be able to tell pretty quick if it's ready to shape. You probably know this but you shouldn't do it the painted ones.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Actually I think the painted ones might be ok. I have a painted Bones skeleton in my car; He's been all sorts is bendy but the paint hasn't flaked or cracked yet.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The shading on that black is really nice, makes it look a lot more cloth-y than if it had higher contrast/brighter highlights. How'd you do that, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks man. It's nothing too fancy. White primer, basecoat of VMC Black Grey, then wash of Nuln Oil. I then layered up with the Black Grey again followed by 2-3 layers of Black Grey successively lightened with... P3 Stonewall Grey I think? Pretty sure that was it- some lighter gray at any rate. I then black-lined the cloak and did some straight black in the deepest recesses.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

moths posted:

Actually I think the painted ones might be ok. I have a painted Bones skeleton in my car; He's been all sorts is bendy but the paint hasn't flaked or cracked yet.

It's not the heat, but the humidity that will get you.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DeadGame posted:

Another idea:

- Prior to Calth, a red helmet on an ultramarine indicated a marine who had been censured for a military crime, like insubordination, offending legion tradition, etc.

- After Calth, red helmets were customary for squad sergeants. The reason was two fold: Guilliman found that red helmets helped the squad coordinate around their sergeant during a fight if vox was cut or jammed between marines, and also as a way of honoring Aeonid Thiel

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Aeonid_Thiel

So you could add a red helmet to a guy in a squad to indicate someone who was censured.

Best part of that story is that Thiel was an Alpha legion sleeper agent so I always wonder why they stuck with the red head job

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Best part of that story is that Thiel was an Alpha legion sleeper agent so I always wonder why they stuck with the red head job

That's speculation - it was never confirmed if that was Thiel or an agent who assumed his identity.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nor was it denied! Forge your own narrative!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Nor was it denied! Forge your own narrative!

I think you have just created BL's new line of CYOA books - you're presented with a paragraph and the rest of the 100+ pages are blank with the exception of "Forge your own narrative!" printed at the top of the page.

And they'll be faux-leather bound in metallic debossed magnetic slipcovers for $150 each. Free bookmark for pre-orders!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Getting there now; fixed the saddle, added the 'leather' base for the hood/helmet. Chinstrap is a bit thick, but it'll be the support for a 'gorget' of sorts that will half cover it. Eyes will have hemispherical armour grilles, and there'll be more plating on the head. In fact, once I get the feet done and vaguely consider more detail it'll be ready for priming!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Got myself a proper airbrush (Iwata Neo) to see if it could speed up my workflow. Airbrushed the skin, tidied up the highlights with the usual techniques. Also took the opportunity to try out that Nihilakh Oxide that I got 2 years ago.

I have to say, I rescind my previous opinion that Citadel did the best metallics, I tried the Vallejo Model Colour versions and they have been just as good if not better (Gold, Bronze, Brass and Silver).

Spoilered for mild :nws:

Raging Heroes Blood Vestal Musician

:nws::nws:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I think I don't really have a good grasp of what is possible for minis painting with an airbrush. I've used an airbrush before for stencils and filling in said stencils. Base coating with an airbrush makes sense and I get that you can use a wider range of colors than rattle cans. I can picture using an airbrush on tanks and other large, flat surfaces. Do I just need to watch some demos?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

GoodBee posted:

I think I don't really have a good grasp of what is possible for minis painting with an airbrush. I've used an airbrush before for stencils and filling in said stencils. Base coating with an airbrush makes sense and I get that you can use a wider range of colors than rattle cans. I can picture using an airbrush on tanks and other large, flat surfaces. Do I just need to watch some demos?

I used this tutorial

http://fantasygames.com.pl/human-skin-painting-tutorial/

It's basically just multi-coloured zenithal highlighting and then you tidy it up by hand. Very good for when you have lots of skin to get through. Giraldez (Infinity showcase painter) does something similar for armour. I think it's worthwhile if >50% of your mini is supposed to be the same colour/material. I wouldn't try it on a model with lots of intricate detail though.

There was a guy further up the thread that does it for Infinity as well, and they look amazing!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Okay, so it looks like they picked one type/texture/color to airbrush. I can see that. I guess I should look into masking next.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

GoodBee posted:

Check out Les Bursley's videos. He does an amazing job of showing how to use a airbrush mixed with regular brush. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0vYyCks8CDWZBHz-qtZhbA

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Today I found out that citadel washes now only come in ridiculous oversized pots.

Painting thread, please suggest good alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Secret Weapon?