Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Manatee Cannon posted:

during the boss fight? ok

Boss fights don't need to be doable the first time. The game probably intends for you to go in there, pick up the Storm ruler, die, then wonder what you did wrong and read the item description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RatHat posted:

Boss fights don't need to be doable the first time. The game probably intends for you to go in there, pick up the Storm ruler, die, then wonder what you did wrong and read the item description.

That's a really bad way to design a fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

that's terrible

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
well i'm glad that wet fart of a five hit boss is done and over with

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
like, i can appreciate a gimmick that makes a boss easier, but i don't like "eight billion hits without, five hits with".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RatHat posted:

Except that there's nothing to indicate that you're doing anything wrong.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Internet Kraken posted:

That's a really bad way to design a fight.

Alternatively, save the (arguably) best NPC in the game and have him annihilate his ol' buddy Yhorm for you.

It's either the hardest fight in the game (if you don't anime wind slash), or the easiest (if you do).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah there is. It's called doing next to no damage.

Suspicious Dish posted:

like, i can appreciate a gimmick that makes a boss easier, but i don't like "eight billion hits without, five hits with".

Apparently you can knock him down if you wail on his legs enough and hit his head for decent damage. Never done it myself.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's terrible

No, it's very cool. It would be cheap if you had to restore a save game.

But to beat this boss blind you would have to die to him, then be reborn at a kindled bonfire, then study the sword you took from his throne to learn how to kill him.

You think that's terrible.

I call that being true to your source material.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Fister Roboto posted:

I guuueeeessss if you've done Siegward's questline, you'll get to see him do it and can try to do what he does? Except honestly Sieg can probably solo the boss anyway...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh was sieg supposed to do something? he randomly disappeared while i was fighting the fire demon and then i later picked up his stuff

i thought that was just how it was supposed to go

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mazerunner posted:

Except honestly Sieg can probably solo the boss anyway...

Either Sieg will blast his rear end into the ether and the fight's just done or he'll get instantly decimated, I've heard both many times by this point.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh was sieg supposed to do something? he randomly disappeared while i was fighting the fire demon and then i later picked up his stuff

He sits down after the fight, and you gotta go talk to him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

he shows up there with a storm ruler if you do his quest

Araganzar posted:

No, it's very cool. It would be cheap if you had to restore a save game.

But to beat this boss blind you would have to die to him, then be reborn at a kindled bonfire, then study the sword you took from his throne to learn how to kill him.

You think that's terrible.

I call that being true to your source material.

you should always be able to win a fight on your first try

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

you should always be able to win a fight on your first try

You can. Pick up the storm ruler, read description, kill.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
Is the game all fixed and stable now? I'be been waiting to pick it up and I hear it might be time.

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016
Or kill it without the Storm Ruler, it's just taking a while. Then read the item discription and rage because of a bad boss design.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Yeah there is. It's called doing next to no damage.

That's not really a strong enough indicator. You do normal damage, he just has a shitload of health. Maybe if you were plinking him for 1 damage with each hit, but as it is you just think "oh he's a giant, I guess he just has a ton of HP"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

You can. Pick up the storm ruler, read description, kill.

that's a) not his point, and b) a bad idea. I had done siegward's quest when I first fought him so he was a chump, but that's not really fun either. yhorm's just not a great boss

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Fully agree,i actually thought i needed to let him smash the pillars.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Page 666, hail Old Demon King. :unsmigghh:

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Fully agree,i actually thought i needed to let him smash the pillars.

I've been waiting for a boss to work like that since Dark Souls 1. Shame it never happened.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So I missed both chances to get them this playthrough because I want the Yuria ending and uuuuugh, would someone happen to have some Manikin Claws they'd throw at me? On PC I should probably specify also.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yorhm is just a dumb fight no matter how you look at it. Gimmick bosses can be okay when they are still fun to fight even when you know the gimmick. Yorhm isn't fun to fight. Either you plink away doing barely any damage or you use your anime bullshit to stunlock him for an effortless kill. The fact that its a pale imitation of a fight from Demon's Souls for no apparent reason just makes it even worse.

Seriously, if you don't know about the fight from Demon's Souls, marvel at how it manages to be better than this similar fight made 3 games later; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVwlOhNT3g

I think Storm King is still the biggest boss in this whole series too.

Yardbomb posted:

So I missed both chances to get them this playthrough because I want the Yuria ending and uuuuugh, would someone happen to have some Manikin Claws they'd throw at me? On PC I should probably specify also.

If you're willing to help me trade the dual katannas to another one of my characters, I can give you the claws. Add me on steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/internetkraken/

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 6, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not really a strong enough indicator. You do normal damage, he just has a shitload of health. Maybe if you were plinking him for 1 damage with each hit, but as it is you just think "oh he's a giant, I guess he just has a ton of HP"

What? Yes it is. The game isn't gonna hold your hand, nor should it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Hubbl3 posted:

Which brings me to the question: How did you know about this in Demon Souls?

A number of things lead the player to it:

1.) The boss and its minions are flying creatures, so there's no way to attack them as melee. They also fire at you if you stand out in the open trying to hit them with projectiles. This leads you to looking around the arena for a solution.
2.) The sword has a unique "Withdraw Sword" command to pick it up, which tells you it's special.
3.) The boss is called the Storm King, and the sword is called the Storm Ruler.
4.) The item description also clues you in, which you're able to read because the fight takes place in an arena full of hiding places.
5.) The sword casts its special effect with R1, so even if you don't read the description, a basic attack reveals its power.

The complaints about the Yhorm version have a point--it's not as well-designed or as cool as the original. The Demon's Souls version was a classic example of the intuitive design the series was known for.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
that sounds really cool and fun and i want to play demon's souls

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That sword is the only weapon drop in a boss room, so if you don't get the massive hint your just kind of slow.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i got the hint but i didn't realize it would be a special power thing which i have literally never used before now because all of the special powers i tried are otherwise pretty useless

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Yhorm is my biggest disappointment in Souls 3, I think. When I fight a giant, I want it to mean something. A giant that's a lord of Cinder? I was hoping they could muster something more impressive than an oddly out of place callback.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Demon's Souls is a cool game that everyone should play. It's pretty rough even in comparison to the first Dark Souls but it's got some seriously awesome level and boss design happening (the first appearance of the Stormruler being involved in one that's particularly awesome.) Plus it's cool replaying later games just to see what all is a callback, like how DS3's Firelink Shrine actually feels quite a bit like the Nexus and the Irithyll Dungeon is a big nostalgia trip to the first part of Tower of Latria that manages to be even more unsettling.

As for Yhorm: It's like they ran entirely out of ideas but figured they oughtta deliver a cool moment for an Onionbro, and that's what it ended up being. And it's really weird, as he was so prominently featured in marketing, right down to being the pack-in statuette for the super ultra special edition.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That sword is the only weapon drop in a boss room, so if you don't get the massive hint your just kind of slow.

Well, there is for some reason a Black Knight Halberd in Champion Gundyr's yard.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The problem with Yhorm is not that Stormruler might be too obscure or it might ask too much of you by having to read the item description possibly while he flails at you, the problem is that completely inexplicably Stormruler has that charge time, which no other weapon has. I fought Yhorm like 10 times plinking with the normal stance Stormruler has against his legs, because L2 + immediately R1 or R2 still has a wind animation around the blade, so I thought this is what would make him fall down. I asked a buddy if that could really be the answer and he was like "no it's dumb", and it is.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don't know, man, going back to it? Demon's Souls is just a blurry mess. Demon's Souls / DS1 remix coming 2018 PSNeo only.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Internet Kraken posted:

Yorhm is just a dumb fight no matter how you look at it. Gimmick bosses can be okay when they are still fun to fight even when you know the gimmick. Yorhm isn't fun to fight. Either you plink away doing barely any damage or you use your anime bullshit to stunlock him for an effortless kill. The fact that its a pale imitation of a fight from Demon's Souls for no apparent reason just makes it even worse.

Seriously, if you don't know about the fight from Demon's Souls, marvel at how it manages to be better than this similar fight made 3 games later; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVwlOhNT3g

I think Storm King is still the biggest boss in this whole series too.

If you're willing to help me trade the dual katannas to another one of my characters, I can give you the claws. Add me on steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/internetkraken/

Woohoo, fighting two dozen trash monsters before fighting the boss. This looks a lot more fun than DS3. Stfu.

edit: scratch that, you don't even fight the boss. You stand around behind cover and shoot it with arrows. Lmao.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 6, 2016

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Either Sieg will blast his rear end into the ether and the fight's just done or he'll get instantly decimated, I've heard both many times by this point.

He just kinda gave up mid fight with me and went over to an impenetrable wall and sat down and watched me finish the boss.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
But guys, theres an orange sign next to the sword saying that only a storm can fell a great tree :downs:

Cause you totally have time to pick it up, read the sign, put the sword on, then figure out the weapon art while Yhorm wails on you with a 10 foot long metal slab. I can think of a million ways that gimmick could have been implemented better

I didn't have seig with me the first time, I saw a bunch of player signs before the fog wall, got the item, equipped it, tried the weapon art without charging it, then got frustrated and just looked it up on the wiki. Curse rotted greatwood did the invincibility gimmick much better, you hit him, it donks and your weapon bounces off, then you see jiggly soft bits that you hit and they splat and he takes massive damage. That was a fun thing to learn on my first runthrough. Having to look at the wiki was not fun

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 6, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My fight with him went kinda like,

Oh cool, Siegward is here.

Oh weird, giants actually have faces?

Hey there's an item back there wonder whatohshit like a quarter of the guy's health just went

Oh hey it's a Stormruler!

oh hey Sieg's got a Stormruler too, that explains it

I'm just gonna uh

okay it's windy, that oughtta do

...like a hundred damage, what?

Well nevermind Sieg just killed the guy in like five shots.

OH OH YOU CHARGE IT UP

Well that's cool I guess.

*talk to Sieg, light bonfire, immediately put Stormruler in storage and forget about it*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

Woohoo, fighting two dozen trash monsters before fighting the boss. This looks a lot more fun than DS3. Stfu.

edit: scratch that, you don't even fight the boss. You stand around behind cover and shoot it with arrows. Lmao.

Storm King is a thousand times more tedious than the Giant yeah.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

Cool edgy post, but it's actually a very fun fight because those things have been bothering you in every level of that world, and then you get to smash them apart with a sky-rending anime sword.

quote:

No, you use the sword like a non-idiot.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's terrible

That's Dark Souls 3 for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah cause running up to a boss and stunlocking it with the charge sword is so much fun. Storm King isn't really fun to fight but it actually looks impressive. The fight in Demon's Souls at least manages to be thematically and visually cool.

Plus you have a reason to use storm ruler because otherwise the boss is out of your reach. Yorhm is just inexplicably resistant to everything other than this magic giant slaying sword that doesn't even work on other giants. There's no reason for storm ruler to exist other than From running out of ideas for the boss so they just gave it a dumb gimmick.