Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm watching Paul Cheon play WB Control against BG Sacrifice on the Magic YouTube channel, this happens around 11m30s of Match 3:

Paul's at 5 life with a Kalitas. He Languishes a full board including a Zulaport Cutthroat and a Nantuko Husk. The guy sacrifices a creature to get his Husk to 4/4 and triggers the Cutthroat to hit Paul for 1. Then the guy sacc'ed everything to save his Nantuko Husk, but Paul didn't take any damage from the rest of the sacrifices.

What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

I'm watching Paul Cheon play WB Control against BG Sacrifice on the Magic YouTube channel, this happens around 11m30s of Match 3:

Paul's at 5 life with a Kalitas. He Languishes a full board including a Zulaport Cutthroat and a Nantuko Husk. The guy sacrifices a creature to get his Husk to 4/4 and triggers the Cutthroat to hit Paul for 1. Then the guy sacc'ed everything to save his Nantuko Husk, but Paul didn't take any damage from the rest of the sacrifices.

What am I missing?

Kalitas only exiles nontoken creatures, so if you sacrifice a token, you'll drain for 1 with Cutthroat. You then sac the other creatures, exiling them and giving your opponent 2/2s and not draining the opponent, and then Languish kills those 2/2s.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Was the first thing he sacrificed a token? Non-tokens get eaten by Kalitas' replacement effect and don't actually die (and so they won't trigger Cutthroat) but tokens do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Kalitas only exiles nontoken creatures, so if you sacrifice a token, you'll drain for 1 with Cutthroat. You then sac the other creatures, exiling them and giving your opponent 2/2s and not draining the opponent, and then Languish kills those 2/2s.

Well, yep, that'd be the thing that was staring me right in the face. Good thing I'm watching this to get better at the WB Control deck sitting in front of me! :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Well, yep, that'd be the thing that was staring me right in the face. Good thing I'm watching this to get better at the WB Control deck sitting in front of me! :v:

You must read the cards! Best rule to get better - read what the cards do.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There is nothing wrong with using California raisin guys as tokens as long as you tip them over when they are tapped.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Solid advice, I'll take it into consideration.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There is nothing wrong with using California raisin guys as tokens as long as you tip them over when they are tapped.

I have a pack of sweet looking Pokemon cards to use for various tokens, because older Pokemon cards look cool and are generally worthless. Plus they're WotC products, so they're definitely endorsed for use here.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

quote:

Those Peach Tree Oath guys trigger the gently caress out of me. I'm sorry but 3 basement nerds are nowhere near being legendary warriors/statesmen. I doubt Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei sat around their parents basements playing card games. Don't get me wrong, I love CCGs, but the arrogance of taking that name boggles my mind. Let me know when they have an epic piece of literature composed about them that people are still reading 2000 years from now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If they're a drunkard, a basketball player, and a guy with more connections than sense, then they can still be the sworn brothers to me.

They just need a guy who tells them benevolence a bunch. I'll do it. Visit me three times. Let me in coach I'm ready!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hellsau posted:

ask me about the time I thought maelstrom pulse was an instant instead of a sorcery and passed turn with the ability to not lose the game in my hand.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasantDirge posted:

If you're having fun you're doing magic right! Share your super dumb/fun combo with the rest of the class?

Chancellor of the Forge + Blazing Shoals + Assault Strobe. I have a mana ramp so, i might put in some giant eldrazi creatures to make 20 dmg or 30. So far testing on cockatrice it has about a 30% chance of doing 4 - 8 dmg or better 1st turn. Im gonna put some L bolts for follow up. If i dont draw any of the hands i want to start and dont draw any mana ramp it gets beat. Might try to do something about it, might not.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I have a decision to make. For FNM tonight do I run:

Seasons Past
Gr Ramp
Mono U Brains

My head is saying I should get more Seasons practice in, but my heart says the Brains deck is hella fun and wins far more than it deserves (and causes more than it's fair share of salt).

Ramp is the unsafe safe choice, since I know it like the back of my hand, but it sucks in the current meta so bad with all the gross coco and weenie decks around.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

Chancellor of the Forge + Blazing Shoals + Assault Strobe. I have a mana ramp so, i might put in some giant eldrazi creatures to make 20 dmg or 30. So far testing on cockatrice it has about a 30% chance of doing 4 - 8 dmg or better 1st turn. Im gonna put some L bolts for follow up. If i dont draw any of the hands i want to start and dont draw any mana ramp it gets beat. Might try to do something about it, might not.

I'm assuming this is a casual brew since Blazing Shoal is banned in modern? Well if thats the case, you could also throw in something like myojin of infinite rage. Since it costs 10, that plus assault strobe equal a dead enemy. It makes your god hand Mountain, Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Shoal, Assault Strobe, Myojin of Infinite Rage plus whatever able to kill on turn 1. Its not super consistent, but it is a ramp target that fits in more with your plan A.

Also, being able to get a Myojin of Infinite Rage out off of Ramp spells and then destroying all lands seems like good times.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Xaerael posted:

Seasons Past
Gr Ramp
Mono U Brains

My head is saying I should get more Seasons practice in, but my heart says the Brains deck is hella fun and wins far more than it deserves (and causes more than it's fair share of salt).

Ramp is the unsafe safe choice, since I know it like the back of my hand, but it sucks in the current meta so bad with all the gross coco and weenie decks around.

brains forever

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm tempted to buy brains for a PPTQ tomorrow and run it cold.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm tempted to buy brains for a PPTQ tomorrow and run it cold.

I know the whole PPTQ thing means that there's about two dozen of them a week now, but I'll ask which you're going to anyway since I'll be doing one too possibly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Speaking of PPTQ's, I feel like LGS's are retarded because all of them want to do them on Saturday, won't coordinate with each other, and Sunday is left without anybody wanting to do them.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Xaerael posted:

Seasons Past
Gr Ramp
Mono U Brains

The MTGoldfish brains deck is really bad.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Speaking of PPTQ's, I feel like LGS's are retarded because all of them want to do them on Saturday, won't coordinate with each other, and Sunday is left without anybody wanting to do them.

Yeah that's super dumb, around here they all collaborate to make sure there are options every weekend rather than on one day.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The LGS that I frequent is closed on Sunday because jesus. 😞

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Xaerael posted:

I know the whole PPTQ thing means that there's about two dozen of them a week now, but I'll ask which you're going to anyway since I'll be doing one too possibly.
If yours is in Michigan, I'll give you more details on mine :D
I usually just run them or go in and take the trade ins from the extra customer traffic at my friends store.

And our Sunday PPTQ drew poorly.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I think it was originally in Saito's rotation deck gallery. But when has bad stopped anyone.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

The lack of ellipses is triggering me.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder why Hanweir Miltia Captain isn't in the tokens deck?

I tried it out and it just wrecks the loving game sometimes. I mean, sure its a 2/2 that doesn't do anything sometimes, but Hangarback Walker just gets exiled a significant portion of the time too given how much removal seems to go for that.

My best guess is that it's ridiculously weak to languish on either side (4 anthem effects to save it on its front, even harder on its back), compared to hangarback. That said, some peeps somewhere were sideboarding it for the mirror IIRC.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Here's a mechanics question: I cast a Rolling Thunder for 10 damage, then I exile Geistblast from my graveyard to copy it, does the copy also hit for 10? Not sure how copying an X cost spell works, basically.

e: \/\/\/ Cool, thanks. \/\/\/

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Soul Glo posted:

Here's a mechanics question: I cast a Rolling Thunder for 10 damage, then I exile Geistblast from my graveyard to copy it, does the copy also hit for 10? Not sure how copying an X cost spell works, basically.

"If the spell being copied has an X whose value was determined as it was cast (like Avacyn’s Judgment’s madness cost has), the copy will have the same value of X."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

If yours is in Michigan, I'll give you more details on mine :D
I usually just run them or go in and take the trade ins from the extra customer traffic at my friends store.

And our Sunday PPTQ drew poorly.

I think it was originally in Saito's rotation deck gallery. But when has bad stopped anyone.

Sunday always draws less of a crowd than Saturday. But does it draw less than competing against 5 other stores the same day?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Sickening posted:

Sunday always draws less of a crowd than Saturday. But does it draw less than competing against 5 other stores the same day?

I've got 5 different LGS in my area with another 2 that are looking to start MTG events and I have 0 PPTQs most weekends. Why? Because they all are cannibalizing the same player base and back when they actually held PTQs, they'd all hold theirs on the same day, in the same place, and then "learned" that there was too much competition to make PTQs worth it.

Also, we have exactly 5 standard tournaments every week... at 6:30pm on Friday nights in 5 different locations. When I ask if they can run standard on other nights, replies are "We tried that years ago, there's no interest." I've been playing for ~3 years, I haven't seen anyone in the area run standard on any other night than Friday in that entire time. But hey, we've got modern running in the area on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Rant over, I guess.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

The lack of ellipses is triggering me.

Holy poo poo, did mcmagic get a name change?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ButtWolf posted:

Good. I got a real cheap hit for 16 on turn 1 gimmick deck. I like dumb poo poo.

Reminder that Infect Shoal got second in the first Modern PT and lead to Blazing Shoal's ban.

I actually love that deck, I think the design is a thing of beauty.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Procrastinator posted:

My best guess is that it's ridiculously weak to languish on either side (4 anthem effects to save it on its front, even harder on its back), compared to hangarback. That said, some peeps somewhere were sideboarding it for the mirror IIRC.

I would agree to some extent, but I rarely seem to get much in the way of counters on my Walker to begin with.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Got an email today from LSV with an Eternal Beta Key. Pretty excited to give it a shot.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

PleasantDirge posted:

If you're having fun you're doing magic right! Share your super dumb/fun combo with the rest of the class?

Hitting for 16 can only mean Shoal + Painters Servant + Draco :v:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

First time playing Standard in years, I think the last time I was cascading into Blightnings and so on. Managed only one tournament rules mistake worth a game loss (at higher RELs), hopefully none tomorrow at the PTQ.

Ran with a pretty standard BG Seasons. Dunno about anything else but at least the deck is really fun once it starts rolling. Should have a bit better idea what to bring on tomorrow with the sideboard, though probably sideboarding pretty poo poo currently.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Got an email today from LSV with an Eternal Beta Key. Pretty excited to give it a shot.

I've been playing for a week and I think even with the NDA I'm allowed to say that I like it a lot

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

I've been playing for a week and I think even with the NDA I'm allowed to say that I like it a lot

Is there a system for friends lists? If so add me: ThePeavstenator

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elyv posted:

Reminder that Infect Shoal got second in the first Modern PT and lead to Blazing Shoal's ban.

I actually love that deck, I think the design is a thing of beauty.

Oh man. Ive never seen this. I like infect too.

Btw added l bolts and chancellor of the dross to get extra damage if in hand. Still winning in less than two turns about 40% of the
time, mana ramp successful for giants about often. 11- 8 against casual but mostly good not perfect decks.

Im really liking Brains too, but I think I need to wait before dropping big money into another deck.
Edit: oh its cheaper than i thought cause i cant read good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lunsku posted:

First time playing Standard in years, I think the last time I was cascading into Blightnings and so on. Managed only one tournament rules mistake worth a game loss (at higher RELs), hopefully none tomorrow at the PTQ.

Ran with a pretty standard BG Seasons. Dunno about anything else but at least the deck is really fun once it starts rolling. Should have a bit better idea what to bring on tomorrow with the sideboard, though probably sideboarding pretty poo poo currently.

The deck is a lot of fun. All the advice I can give is to play fast and don't prioritize seasons over renewal/other stuff too early. Trying to blow a seasons before you have renewal just drags out the game. You need a lot of land in play to make the engine work.

unao
Dec 12, 2013
Opened fat pack. Foil nahiri. Happy.

I was working on
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/brein/
So it's one less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its funny to me that nahiri is 20 bucks now basically from sporadic eternal play.

• Locked thread