Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

a shameful boehner posted:

Can you explain how you got your tiles to look that way in that layout? Or pastebin the file?

Look what way? What specifically is it you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Unimpressed posted:

I better try one quickly before PF nerfs all the fun out of it. :argh:

i long for the death of all dwarves, but sadly other devs still like them.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Incidentally, yesterday I downloaded the very first version of Stone Soup out of curiosity. I started playing around 0.7 or 0.8 so I still remember the removal of mountain dwarves (never forget :argh:) but what is funny to me, apparently there were even more dwarves and elves in the old versions of yore. Hill Dwarves, Elves (no adjective), Grey Elves and the I guess more known Sludge Elves who got the axe later. At this point I realized it's really hard to get any info about these old features, the wiki is poor at best and the learndb doesn't go much further than maybe 0.8 and usually doesn't include much description or reasoning for removal. It might be a pretty boring reading but I'd be kinda interested in reading a history of crawl with commentary on why stuff was removed, redone or added. I don't see anyone taking on this foolish endeavor of scouring the commit logs, though, and I can hardly blame anyone for not remembering every single detail of the game's development.

Screenshot of the race list:

Obviously some classes alse got cut but I don't see people talking about those as much as the removed races.

e: have some more:

interface

old experience system

command list

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 6, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
RIP gnomes, not even worthy of being a dungeon monster

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
weren't deep dwarves basically the return of gnomes but somewhat interesting

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes.

It allows me to keep the combo GnSu as the online high score, too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Yes.

It allows me to keep the combo GnSu as the online high score, too.

You could always play it in nostalgia branch!

code:
rchandra: !hs . nostalgia
Sequell: 8. rchandra the Cruncher (L14 GnTh of Lucy), slain by an eight-headed hydra on Lair:9 on 2014-04-01 20:26:06, with 39580 points after 30355 turns and 2:27:59.
15-speed hydra seemed pretty cool.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Whats are good race/class for beginners?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
troll berserker to get accustomed to the controls, minotaur berserker for melee that won't gauranteed exploding the early game and burning out midway through the dungeon, kobold artificer for learning to take advantage of consumables instead of using them as panic buttons, deep elf conjurer or fire elementalist for heavy spellcasting

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unironic advice: learn vi keys if you can, they're actually cool and good and powerful

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

quote:

Coming back from a few month hiatus with this game, what the heck happened to CSZO? Guess everyone is switching to CBRO.

I'll start a team, losers and Cure fans are welcome to join:

Pictures of Ru
1. Fhqwhgads
2. worldfamousw
3. starve
4. enigma74

# TEAMCAPTAIN meatpath

One spot left!

meatpath fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 6, 2016

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

68k posted:

One spot left!

What's a Cure?

I can come and play dumb random and Nemelex combos. I might even win a game. I'm StoryTimeSA at crawl.akrasiac.org.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

StoryTime posted:

What's a Cure?

I can come and play dumb random and Nemelex combos. I might even win a game. I'm StoryTimeSA at crawl.akrasiac.org.

You know, the famous '80s edward scissorhands emo band

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Since it seems no one has done this yet, then I suppose the duty falls upon me. By ancient tradition, I am now announcing the SA ogreteam Ogrecoming Adversity. This is the team for ogres. It is the team for people who like to crush things as hard as possible with tree trunks and smash them with big rocks. Do you like crushing? Do you like smashing? Then please join this team! Do you like seeing (rather, in the spirit of Crawl I should say, "vaguely guessing at") very large damage numbers, completely without regard for efficiency? If so, then please join this team! Do you like having a huge pile of hit points and losing them extremely quickly? Please join! Do you like a complex, rewarding play style that encourages careful strategic decisions and offers surprisingly versatile and powerful characters that still die instantly because they have no defense? Then get big, get fat, and become an ogre today!

Ogrecoming Adversity does not discriminate on the basis of Crawl experience or skill. Players of all levels are welcome. Our only request is that you be the biggest, fattest, burliest ogre possible. Nerdy spellcasting ogres are just as welcome as big dumb ogre berserkers, as long as you remember that as an ogre, your holy duty in this world is to crush and smash.

Becoming an Ogre is associated with certain health risks such as terminally low AC and EV. Therefore, ogres that are hacked to pieces by ugly snake people or foul fish people are still considered successful ogres. Ogres attain to glory by their big, fat, muscular bodies and by smashing and crushing, not by retrieving the Orb of Zot. Thus, though it goes without saying, Ogrecoming Adversity is not a team for people who play for points.

If you feel bigness, fatness, smashing and crushing are your calling in your Crawl life, then please add this line to your a relevant RC file:

# TEAMCAPTAIN huiren

Right now I am the only lonely, but still huge, fat and powerful ogre on the team. I greatly look forward to more ogresisters and ogrebrothers who would like to smash and crush together with me.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You know, the famous '80s edward scissorhands emo band

Okay, I'm in.

quote:

Pictures of Ru

1. Fhqwhgads
2. worldfamousw
3. starve
4. enigma74
5. StoryTimeSA

# TEAMCAPTAIN meatpath

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

quote:

Pictures of Ru
1. Fhqwhgads
2. worldfamousw
3. starve
4. enigma74
5. StoryTimeSA

# TEAMCAPTAIN meatpath

We're set.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Since it seems no one has done this yet, then I suppose the duty falls upon me. By ancient tradition, I am now announcing the SA ogreteam Ogrecoming Adversity.

:allears:

Yess. Glad to see - with me taking a break from it this go around and Diplomat not around? - that someone is continuing the tradition. This is an excellent Ogre post for an excellent Ogre team.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

a shameful boehner posted:

Can you explain how you got your tiles to look that way in that layout? Or pastebin the file?
tile_player_tile = mons:ghost

Other than that it's normal.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 6, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Still one spot on ZeeZeeMeatls for the tournament if you're looking for a no-pressure team. RC file is all set up, I'll be on playing a bunch at tournament start in 5 hours.

Arivia posted:

Okay I'm recruiting for a team too! So far we are all not very good players, so no requirements. We just want to play a lot and have fun. I'm going to try to post a win myself, but that's not something everyone needs to do.

code:
# TEAMNAME ZeeZeeMeatls
# TEAMCAPTAIN Arivia

1. GlitchThief
2. Neongrey
3. offering
4. Doctordoom

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

Arivia posted:

Still one spot on ZeeZeeMeatls for the tournament if you're looking for a no-pressure team. RC file is all set up, I'll be on playing a bunch at tournament start in 5 hours.

I'll join up. eyebrow on CBRO.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eyebrow posted:

I'll join up. eyebrow on CBRO.

Sweet! Adding you right now.

edit: Done!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 6, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Since it seems no one has done this yet, then I suppose the duty falls upon me. By ancient tradition, I am now announcing the SA ogreteam Ogrecoming Adversity. This is the team for ogres. It is the team for people who like to crush things as hard as possible with tree trunks and smash them with big rocks. Do you like crushing? Do you like smashing? Then please join this team! Do you like seeing (rather, in the spirit of Crawl I should say, "vaguely guessing at") very large damage numbers, completely without regard for efficiency? If so, then please join this team! Do you like having a huge pile of hit points and losing them extremely quickly? Please join! Do you like a complex, rewarding play style that encourages careful strategic decisions and offers surprisingly versatile and powerful characters that still die instantly because they have no defense? Then get big, get fat, and become an ogre today!

Ogrecoming Adversity does not discriminate on the basis of Crawl experience or skill. Players of all levels are welcome. Our only request is that you be the biggest, fattest, burliest ogre possible. Nerdy spellcasting ogres are just as welcome as big dumb ogre berserkers, as long as you remember that as an ogre, your holy duty in this world is to crush and smash.

Becoming an Ogre is associated with certain health risks such as terminally low AC and EV. Therefore, ogres that are hacked to pieces by ugly snake people or foul fish people are still considered successful ogres. Ogres attain to glory by their big, fat, muscular bodies and by smashing and crushing, not by retrieving the Orb of Zot. Thus, though it goes without saying, Ogrecoming Adversity is not a team for people who play for points.

If you feel bigness, fatness, smashing and crushing are your calling in your Crawl life, then please add this line to your a relevant RC file:

# TEAMCAPTAIN huiren

Right now I am the only lonely, but still huge, fat and powerful ogre on the team. I greatly look forward to more ogresisters and ogrebrothers who would like to smash and crush together with me.

Just last night I finally got enough practice in to restore my (false) confidence. Signing up! Contributing my 0.10% ogre win rate and 957 ogre losses! Brothers, we shall ogrecome!
1/5 ogre followers?
# TEAMMEMBERS LordSloth

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 6, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've had my # TEAMCAPTAIN Glidergun in my 0.18 rcfile on the beRotato server for a few days and I am still not showing up. Just added it to the CAO 0.18 rcfile. Hopefully I will show up soon. Don't think I am planning on being absent.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
You still have a week before teams get locked, so its no big deal if you don't get it sorted today.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

You still have a week before teams get locked, so its no big deal if you don't get it sorted today.

Just an FYI, you got changed back to Wolf Pakellas, probably because it was in your rcfile for CAO on an earlier version and it carried over to 0.18 when it updated.

Also, still waiting on MOVIE MAJICK!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Floodkiller posted:

Just an FYI, you got changed back to Wolf Pakellas, probably because it was in your rcfile for CAO on an earlier version and it carried over to 0.18 when it updated.

Also, still waiting on MOVIE MAJICK!

Ah yea that's annoying, CAO copies your rcfile from trunk to 0.18.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Zigsprint win in preparation for tourney - http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/MagicLamp/morgue-MagicLamp-20160506-171917.txt

Only got one ancient lich, one fiend and a couple of Pan Lords. Wish real Ziggurats were like that!

Edit: Remember not to use potions of haste with Chei.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 6, 2016

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
There's a new official server, CJR in Montreal that will work for the tourny. If you're northeast USA like me, you might ping better there than CBRO.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

# TEAMCAPTAIN huiren

Hell I'll sign up for this. Let us ogrewhelm!

# Teammember ThermosAquaticus

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

# TEAMCAPTAIN huiren

Volunteering for Ogre duty

# Teammember FireSight

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Since it seems no one has done this yet, then I suppose the duty falls upon me. By ancient tradition, I am now announcing the SA ogreteam Ogrecoming Adversity.
Got a spot for me? I like ogres as much as the next guy!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

If someone needs another garbage team member, I'm available.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Abyss Me Baby One More Time definitely accepts all comers, from the young and the fresh to the old and set in their ways (of destruction!).
code:
# TEAMNAME Abyss Me Baby One More Time
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
1. raskol (kaschei)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:hellyeah:

e: And I found a 2nd wand of hasting right after that screenshot.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 6, 2016

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Abyss Me Baby One More Time definitely accepts all comers, from the young and the fresh to the old and set in their ways (of destruction!).
code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
1. raskol (kaschei)
2. Apostate (apostatecourier)

Cool.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
1. raskol (kaschei)

I would take membership on this fine team! My alias in crawl is '[Already Entered]'.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 6, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Done and done.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

jerkstoresup posted:

There's a new official server, CJR in Montreal that will work for the tourny. If you're northeast USA like me, you might ping better there than CBRO.

Gentle reminder for those who care: create your accounts in all new servers so that people can't grief your accounts on the event you get a streak.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

new server has nonstandard default lang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

resistentialism posted:

new server has nonstandard default lang
Montreal is a bilingual city

• Locked thread