Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

and did they yell in a thick Scottish accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

You joke but I literally got yelled at once for talking about how the Spartans died at Thermopylae.

I was a Blockbuster when Titanic came out on VHS (gently caress I'm old) and a person in line was talking about how amazing the sinking scene was and someone else got really pissed that they had spoiled the ending.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was watching the original Men In Black the other day, and I got a kick out of J's grimace when he had the lemonade in the farmhouse.

The wife had given the bug all the sugar in the kitchen in a scene fifteen minutes or so before that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

oldpainless posted:

Where did this happen and who yelled?

Senior in high school and a guy I went to school with

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think that was also something in TVIV for a while, people being berated for spoiling a show like Spartacus or something by discussing historical events

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

thecluckmeme posted:

I think that was also something in TVIV for a while, people being berated for spoiling a show like Spartacus or something by discussing historical events

Yeah but TVIV is goddamn crazy about spoilers

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

oldpainless posted:

Where did this happen and who yelled?
Thermopylae and the Spartans. Can't you read?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

thecluckmeme posted:

If somebody spoiled the ending to The Jinx or Dear Zachary or Cleanflix would you be totally cool with that because, hey, they really happened?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Guy Mann posted:

If somebody spoiled the ending to The Jinx or Dear Zachary or Cleanflix would you be totally cool with that because, hey, they really happened?

That's a little more obscure than something like the loving Titanic.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

thecluckmeme posted:

Yeah, but with Spartacus most people don't know anything about the other rebellion leaders or what they got up to. At least the show was loosely adapted enough that it didn't matter much.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Mann posted:

You're totally right, television and movies based on little-known events from the 1980s to 2000s are totally comparable to notable worldwide news and historical events from hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

Dipshit.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's all a matter of how well known the event was, which is the real subtle movie moment when you think about it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Guy Mann posted:

The loss of the Titanic had lasting repercussions that are still going today. The US Coast Guard still maintains an iceberg watch formed in response to the disaster. The use of white signal rockets to designate distress are due to the captain of the Californian reportedly being confused by Titanic's distress rockets. It changed ocean travel in nearly every way imaginable.

Not exactly the same thing as "Of course I killed them".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

FreudianSlippers posted:

Subtle moment in the Iliad(or the Aeneid or wahtever):
The Greeks pretend to give the other team a big wooden horse but it's actually a trick.

That's not in the Iliad :argh:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

dear zachary isnt really a suspenseful narrative.....id say the surprises are incidental and its still just as powerful a documentary when u know the facts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Memento posted:

My wife told me off once for spoiling the end of the movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".

Apropos of nothing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:perfect:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Polaron posted:

The loss of the Titanic had lasting repercussions that are still going today. The US Coast Guard still maintains an iceberg watch formed in response to the disaster. The use of white signal rockets to designate distress are due to the captain of the Californian reportedly being confused by Titanic's distress rockets. It changed ocean travel in nearly every way imaginable.

Not exactly the same thing as "Of course I killed them".

Also the ending to The Jinx wasn't as public event, the recording was never shown before. That's a terrible example.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont even know what cleanflix is lol. better examples would have been lincoln, public enemies and selma

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now that Civil War is out in the US, and I ain't spoiling poo poo because it's nothing you don't know from the trailer:

when the teams square off in the big fight scene, the camera pans along each side, and when Spider-Man swings in next to Black Widow, she gives Iron Man a great "seriously?" look.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's not in the Iliad :argh:

Yeah but its mentioned in both the spinoffs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So it's probably a deleted scene from the Iliad. At very least it's fanon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Civil War there was a fun little thing I noticed was how in the Quinnjet when Cap and Bucky are gearing up Bucky gets a gun from a locker marked Romanov. Since Black Widow is the only Avenger who would need a gun.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now that Civil War is out in the US, and I ain't spoiling poo poo because it's nothing you don't know from the trailer:

when the teams square off in the big fight scene, the camera pans along each side, and when Spider-Man swings in next to Black Widow, she gives Iron Man a great "seriously?" look.

It took me until "spiderman" to realise it wasn't a movie about the American civil war

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It took me until "spiderman" to realise it wasn't a movie about the American civil war

America had a civil war? Spoiler alert you rear end in a top hat

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Gay Uncle posted:

America had a civil war? Spoiler alert you rear end in a top hat

Lincoln has some awesome quips but he dies in the end

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Civil War Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MariusLecter posted:

In Civil War Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

Where does this joke come from? I've seen it around, I know it's a thing, but I'm unclear how it started.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

motherfucker some of us are only up to Millard Fillmore in American History

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Lotish posted:

Where does this joke come from? I've seen it around, I know it's a thing, but I'm unclear how it started.

I think it has something do with Burn After Reading but I don't know for certain.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Brad Pitt is the ultimate method actor

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pitt had himself partially lobotomized for Burn After Reading

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Lotish posted:

Touch my ?

heehee

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He turns out to be a drunk duck.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You get to the part where he got stuck up a red headed mermaid tattoo-bearing kid's nose?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I watched Civil War last weekend, and while not great, one nice touch was that Black Panther was very quiet, nearly silent, when jumping around/dropping from heights/etc... Compared to everyone else making big ol' thump noises, it was a nice contrast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Too soon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DrBouvenstein posted:

I watched Civil War last weekend, and while not great, one nice touch was that Black Panther was very quiet, nearly silent, when jumping around/dropping from heights/etc... Compared to everyone else making big ol' thump noises, it was a nice contrast.

I had the same reaction. At first I thought the sound mixing was messed up but... ohhhhhh he's a cat, duh!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
TV is alright here, right? If not I apologise beforehand.

In Game of Thrones this week Ramsay Bolton continues to be an utter bastard man. We see him in a kitchen trying to peel an apple with little joy. After a little bit of mild titillation there's a bit of a struggle and he whips out his own person knife and murders the person before proceeding to peel and eat the apple with no problem.

Because of course his house motto is, "Our knives are sharp."

Not the subtlest, but the lad I was watching the show with didn't pick up on it and it made me laugh, so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
In Deadpool, a movie that is anything but subtle, I noticed that when Ryan Reynolds' Wade Wilson is packing his stuff to leave, he's stuffing it all into a CADPAT back pack. Deadpool is a former Canadian Special Forces soldier. I thought it was a nice touch.