Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Torrannor posted:

As far as I know, apart from using the console, you cannot successfully culture change as a horde. It's very difficult but possible for your heirs to flip culture, but they would all be disinherited and you would get a game over if you had no valid heirs left.

drat, so what would one say is the best start for Mongol culture between Charlemagne and Old Gods? The Charlemagne Start has you in a really bad position as soon as your tribute ends with the Uyghurs, and the Old Gods start has you being holy war-ed on day two by your two southern neighbors.

Also, anyone knows why as Otüken in a previous game, when having my capital conquered and moved to another province, I would lose all the buildings in it? I got it forcefully moved once in my Uyghur game and nothing was lost. Is it a bug or something that happens under specific conditions?

Popoto fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

As far as I know, apart from using the console, you cannot successfully culture change as a horde. It's very difficult but possible for your heirs to flip culture, but they would all be disinherited and you would get a game over if you had no valid heirs left.

Which is a shame, because a Breton Horde is amazing fun. Go with 100% Heavy Cavalry, and then just Couched Lance Charge everything. And then when you finally decide to settle, you get Tanistry.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

StarMinstrel posted:

drat, so what would one say is the best start for Mongol culture between Charlemagne and Old Gods? The Charlemagne Start has you in a really bad position as soon as your tribute ends with the Uyghurs, and the Old Gods start has you being holy war-ed on day two by your two southern neighbors.

Also, anyone knows why as Otüken in a previous game, when having my capital conquered and moved to another province, I would lose all the buildings in it? I got it forcefully moved once in my Uyghur game and nothing was lost. Is it a bug or something that happens under specific conditions?

Horse Lords nerfed Mongol culture. A nomadic tengri Mongol has the same invasion CB as a nomadic Irish Catholic, so there's no benefit to being Mongol. I never tried as a Mongol in the old gods start but it wasn't too terribly difficult to get established in Charlemagne.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Volkerball posted:

Horse Lords nerfed Mongol culture. A nomadic tengri Mongol has the same invasion CB as a nomadic Irish Catholic, so there's no benefit to being Mongol. I never tried as a Mongol in the old gods start but it wasn't too terribly difficult to get established in Charlemagne.

It's for the Khan of Khans decision >.> I think only Mongols get it, since I didn't have it as Uyghurs.

/edit/ Also do Mongols not get the bonus to light cavalry anymore in Horse Lords? I have no idea...

Popoto fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 3, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Creating an anti-pope should give you a status and/or trait that is just "Has anti-Pope" which would have the same effect as excommunicated except only for people outside your realm and greatly increase the risk of Catholic religious revolts. Maybe have an exception for zelous people in your realm to still hate you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just make being loyal to an antipope a heresy. When you make an antipope, everyone in your realm chooses whether to follow the new pope, or stay loyal to the pope in Rome, similar to when you reform a pagan religion. Perhaps bias the probabilities based on how well each person likes you/your candidate vs. how much they like the pope.

So then you get historically accurate things like the emperor setting up an antipope and then having to back down because all his vassals think he's a filthy heretic. You could also get nations outside of the original sponsor eventually committing to the antipope as well, especially if the pope in Rome is particularly disliked.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Jabor posted:

Just make being loyal to an antipope a heresy. When you make an antipope, everyone in your realm chooses whether to follow the new pope, or stay loyal to the pope in Rome, similar to when you reform a pagan religion. Perhaps bias the probabilities based on how well each person likes you/your candidate vs. how much they like the pope.

So then you get historically accurate things like the emperor setting up an antipope and then having to back down because all his vassals think he's a filthy heretic. You could also get nations outside of the original sponsor eventually committing to the antipope as well, especially if the pope in Rome is particularly disliked.

Historical anti-popes didn't really tear nations apart internally.

edit- was thinking of Avignon papacy, don't know about Germany.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 4, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

It´s also mechanically more complex than simply adding events for/from the Pope.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

The Avignon Papacy wasn't really the case of the French Kings setting up an antipope though. Though conflict between the French monarchy and the Papacy was part of it. What really happened was that after the conflict between king Phillip IV and Pope Boniface VIII (who died after a period of French captivity), and the short reign of Boniface's successor, the cardinals, (who I believe were away from Rome) chose a Frenchman as new Pope, who then refused to move to Rome, likely because of the risk involved as he would be among his enemies (like Roman aristocrats who wanted control of the Papacy) and instead set up court in Avignon (which was actually part of the Holy Roman Empire and not the kingdom of France), where the Papacy stayed for 67 years a period in which the size and sophistication of ecclesiastical organization grew to unprecedented levels (in part because the location was much more ideal than Rome when it came to proximity to important centers of culture, religion, population and power, than Rome was).

Not to say that the Avignon Papacy wasn't criticized, as many thought the Pope ought to be in Rome, and the Papacy was seen to be becoming more and corrupt (partly because the expansion of the Papal organization and bureaucracy required a great deal of money to pay for, which necessitated introducing various ways to collect money, for instance from indulgences). This eventually resulted in the Pope moving back to Rome and taking his cardinals and bureaucracy with him, however when the cardinals were to elect a new Pope following this one's death, most of them promptly went to Avignon and chose their own Pope (Rome was as turbulent and riddled by intrigue as ever, and the Papal States were a rather poor territory), while another was chosen in Rome which began the Western Schism (also known as the Great Schism at times).

Actually many of the historical "Anti-Popes" were based in Rome during the investiture controversy as a consequence of the Holy Roman Emperor seizing the city and forcing the legitimate Pope (at least according to the reformers who insisted upon Papal supremacy) to flee the city. The famous Urban II (of the first Crusade) was one of these as he was away from Rome for much of his reign as another Pope installed by the Emperor ruled in Rome.

It really is a shame that although Crusader Kings 2 does dynastic intrigue and politics quite well, it does a rather poor job at representing religious politics and organization at time (most notably the great monastic organizations, such as Cluny and its associated monasteries, are nowhere to be seen in any way!). Ironically the Crusades as well are actually rather poorly implemented and uninteresting, nothing really beyond a dogpile of Welsh and Irish dukes (for some reason those guys always seem really keen on crusades in my experience), and for the target realm its either a whack-a-mole or just being overwhelmed by numbers.

I would be really glad if in a future Crusader Kings 3 if they really concentrated on doing other things of the period well (as the dynastic stuff is pretty good already and would probably be fine with a little tweaking and minor additions), probably by starting with trying to represent things in High Medieval Europe well, things such as the reform of the Papacy and the resulting investiture controversy, the Crusades (and the Reconquista and the Northern Crusades and colonization of the Baltic region) and the expansion of ecclesiastical and royal bureaucracy (which would also mean some kind of way of representing the evolution of scholasticism and universities which was what produced the experts who could formulate the legal justifications and frameworks upon which these more advanced states and organizations were built) and the advent of the dynastic territorial state (the end of the game should kind of feel like its starting to turn into more of an EU kind of experience ideally). Things like the demographic and economic recovery of Western Europe would also be neat if they were represented in some way, as probably the most important historical fact for Europe in the high middle ages is that the population of Western Europe doubled from 1000 to 1300. This seems very modest to us moderns but was really important at the time, since the fall of the WRE population levels had been stagnant or in decline, and this new growth facilitated the growth (or rebirth) of cities, trade, the population and cultivation of hinterlands and even outwards expansion, in short it lies at the root of most advances seen in Western Europe from about 1000 AD.

e: On a completely different note and what I originally came here to post, does anyone know what the Game of Thrones modders did to remove the quotation marks from nicknames? I would be interested to know this, thanks.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cluny is actually featured in an event, you can donate money to them.

But that's about it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ahh, the good ol' Bank of Cluny. Those were the days.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i wish there was a thing that would chain of you sending people to monasteries.

This guy had high learning so now he runs Cluny!
+.5 piety per year +5 church vassal opinion

just a fun thing to add to ya yaknow fun CK2 stuff

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

verbal enema posted:

If they ever flesh out Theocracies, Monasteries should be a mini-holding like Forts and Trading Posts that are associated with specific monastic/Sufi/Buddhist orders and can be built in other people of the same religion's land. It would also give the Pope something to do with his $Texas to spread Cluniac orders beholden only to him in western Europe.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Instead of a dynasty for theocracies, have it your monastic order? And have you competing mostly against each other, but also against secular rulers?

The problem here is, that once you start doing that you're uhh, pretty far from the premise of the whole game and it doesn't work very well with the existing mechanics. Aside from being somewhat ahistorical...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If they ever make a Theocracy/Holy Order/Religious politics DLC they should have the Bektashi Order tell jokes:

Wikipedia posted:

The telling of jokes and humorous tales is an important part of Bektashi culture and teaching. Frequently these poke fun at conventional religious views by counterpoising the Bektashi dervish as an iconoclastic figure. For example:

A Bektashi was praying in the mosque. While those around him were praying "May God grant me faith," he muttered "May God grant me plenty of wine." The imam heard him and asked angrily why instead of asking for faith like everyone else, he was asking God for something sinful. The Bektashi replied, "Well, everyone asks for what they don't have."

A Bektashi was a passenger in a rowing boat travelling from Eminönü to Üsküdar in Istanbul. When a storm blew up, the boatman tried to reassure him by saying "Fear not—God is great!" the Betktashi replied, "Yes, God is great, but the boat is small."

An imam was preaching about the evils of alcohol and asked "If you put a pail of water and a pail of rakı in front of a donkey, which one will he drink from?" A Bektashi in the congregation immediately answered. "The water!" "Indeed," said the imam, "and why is that?" "Because he's an rear end."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Those are pretty good

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

They should make an Atlantis DLC that instead of being a horde faction is a Wonder-Woman-esque faction that spreads Women's Rights.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 6, 2016

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

They should make an Atlantis DLC that instead of being a horde faction is a Wonder-Woman-esque faction that spreads Women's Rights.

The reaction on the paradox forums/reddit to the announcement would be absolutely fantastic. :allears:

I'm entirely down for more a-historical optional DLC, honestly.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Are there actually any benefits to sending someone off to form a mercenary company?

All I can see is the off chance of earning some gold set against a fair chunk of your personal levies being lost permanently. Which is less than great.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I have some occupied territory in my enemy kingdom, why do they still have the ticking warscore for comtrolling that kingdom, the entire kingdom being the wargoal?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 6, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the occupied territory actually in the de jure kingdom? That's what counts for war goals.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Weavered posted:

Are there actually any benefits to sending someone off to form a mercenary company?

All I can see is the off chance of earning some gold set against a fair chunk of your personal levies being lost permanently. Which is less than great.
As a tribal that can't raid, it maybe pays for itself?

To be honest, this and non-nomad mercs are still sorta bonked. Why they don't just set them to always use cultural retinues is beyond me.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

As a tribal that can't raid, it maybe pays for itself?

You'd think so but even though they're your own company you still have to pay full price to hire them, they're not like vassalised mercs or holy orders.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is the occupied territory actually in the de jure kingdom? That's what counts for war goals.

Yes it's in dejure. Do I need the whole province?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Baron Porkface posted:

Yes it's in dejure. Do I need the whole province?
No, you should just be able to get the top holding and move on to the next county.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Weavered posted:

You'd think so but even though they're your own company you still have to pay full price to hire them, they're not like vassalised mercs or holy orders.
Well, I meant more that you recoup your initial 50G from others hiring your mercs quicker, making you a profit.

They can be useful though, in that like with other mercs, you can war dec with them raised and I guess you should be getting some of that money back?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

verbal enema posted:

There just needs to be an event chain that lets me send my kids to be Bishops or nuns, it's not that hard and historic.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

There just needs to be an event chain that lets me send my kids to be Bishops or nuns, it's not that hard and historic.

There is one, sort of, though I think it only fires if your kid is zealous. You can also order your kids to take the vows or give them bishophrics.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm early in a game as a Byzantine vassal. The emperor institutes imperial administration to make it harder for me to build my power. I scrap county by county to gain enough land to take a foreign ruler's duchy from him, and as I'm waiting to get enough gold to do this, the emperor creates the duchy himself and "awards" it to me as a viceroyalty. Later, I finally form my own duchy. I get invited to a feast by the emperor, and he imprisons me and tries to steal my title. I think I hate this guy!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Anyone still play with the CK+ mod? How is it these days?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

James The 1st posted:

Anyone still play with the CK+ mod? How is it these days?

I like it. I still think it's dumb that their map gives Iceland four promises but whatever, it runs smooth and isn't as clunky as HIP. Plus there's lots of custom religions packaged in by default, along with the Year 1000 scenario and the cool Wiz-style Faction and Crusader Kingdom systems.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

This was new

Then my character got hoarse from howling at the moon, for two years. Also another -2 diplomacy. Thanks game.

Amazingly no one has plotted my death, just endless factions for council rule which get broken easily.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 14, 2016

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I feel like I've done Aargu->Emperor and Ivar->Viking Conqueror of The Entire Planet to death. What are some more interesting starts / characters to try out?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Is it impossible to declare war to take over a tributary or something? Because otherwise I don't understand how I have a strong claim on an independent county but no casus belli. Playing the earliest start with all DLC but Sunset on as an Irish tribal.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Nobody Interesting posted:

I feel like I've done Aargu->Emperor and Ivar->Viking Conqueror of The Entire Planet to death. What are some more interesting starts / characters to try out?

Socotra is cool.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alikchi posted:

Staring at your computer monitor and doing nothing for a solid few hours is cool.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After getting Stellaris and being very disappointed in it, I keep reading how CK2 is so much better. The DLC costs 5 times as much if you get everything, so what DLC is recommend now? I like the idea of the Old Gods where you can start as an adventurer and build a kingdom from scratch - is that possible?

Does the in game tutorial tell you about the features of each DLC as you come across them? The Stellaris tutorial outright fails to ever mention some basic gameplay options, and I'm curious to know of CK2 is able to be learnt if you start with a lot of the new DLC.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The ingame tutorial in CK2 is worse than the Stellaris tutorial by miles.
The best way to learn how to play CK2 is, in all honesty, by watching other people play it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So now that I'm up to date on the DLC. What changed since Rajas? Where should I start?
I tried Tuscany in 1066 because the seduction mechanic seems a lot more useful for a woman ruler at start. Lost most of my vassals after several heirs died in rapid succession, even though I seduced the emperor he keeps enforcing peace when I try to grab more land and I can't even ask him for a favour. On the plus side breeding the Kwisatz Haderach seems easier than it has ever been.

Comstar posted:

After getting Stellaris and being very disappointed in it, I keep reading how CK2 is so much better. The DLC costs 5 times as much if you get everything, so what DLC is recommend now? I like the idea of the Old Gods where you can start as an adventurer and build a kingdom from scratch - is that possible?

There is a sale at the paradox store. Get the Crusader Knings collection that contains everything up to Rajas. Then get Way of life because that is only another 3 bucks.
Haven't really played with anything newer.

Although I don't think you can really build a kingdom from scratch. The closest is probably Nantes is the Old Gods. One county that hates you, a big army, boats and the Viking casus belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Not sure if anyone was waiting for it but Geheimnisnacht just pushed a big new release that's 2.5.2 compatible.

• Locked thread