Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Now that we are on it, how accurate is Butcher's portrait of Chicago in the Dresden files series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Now that we are on it, how accurate is Butcher's portrait of Chicago in the Dresden files series?

Decent enough, I mean there's nothing that's made me go "That's not where that is!". But of course, I haven't checked against Google Maps, so I'm probably not a serious reader.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
DF and Watch Dogs have convinced me Chicago is the most generic, boring city in the US. Whatever character it might have is in the people's attitudes and neither IP did jack poo poo with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

DF and Watch Dogs have convinced me Chicago is the most generic, boring city in the US. Whatever character it might have is in the people's attitudes and neither IP did jack poo poo with that.

Being convinced by Watch Dogs that a city not having personality is like blaming a .50 cent microwaved frozen pizza for pizza being lovely.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I think i remember reading that butcher has gotten some things wrong about Chicago that nobody who actually lives there would get wrong.

One that I might be making up is the description of Wrigley field when they arrive there for the duel is pretty wrong, as in the entire external area he describes to doesn't actually exist IRL or something

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I think i remember reading that butcher has gotten some things wrong about Chicago that nobody who actually lives there would get wrong.

One that I might be making up is the description of Wrigley field when they arrive there for the duel is pretty wrong, as in the entire external area he describes to doesn't actually exist IRL or something

Yeah, he describes a big, sprawling parking lot around Wrigley, and that simply doesn't exist. There's barely any parking at all, in fact.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...7.6553327?hl=en

He first actually visited Chicago around book 7.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

IIRC, he also wrote one of the more affluent parts of the city as a crime-ridden ghetto.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

He hadn't been to Chicago before writing the series, so he got a tourist guidebook and things went downhill from there (from one of his book signing Q&A's)

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I'm sure that kind of thing would bother me if I actually lived in Chicago, but I much prefer the abstract downtown / suburb / neighborhood approach to the specifics given in Rivers of London. Without having a point of reference, I don't really see being specific as that much of an improvement.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Slanderer posted:

He hadn't been to Chicago before writing the series, so he got a tourist guidebook and things went downhill from there (from one of his book signing Q&A's)

I see, I'm rereading the series right now (starting white night). I know nothing about Chicago, not american and never been there, hell, when I think of Chicago what comes to my mind is prohibition-era gangster movies (I know is cliched as gently caress but I don't have any other point of reference).

His descriptions of the city has been pretty vague and generic except for a few landmarks, so I suppose what you guys say explains it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Apparently Butcher has gotten a lot better about such things now because we live in a world with high-speed Internet and Google maps. Years ago he relied on guide books and then Chicago area fans and photos they could take for him.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, as someone raised in Chicago in my early years, some things don't quite line up. Thankfully he's rarely super specific about things so its easy to just give it a pass.

Sue's rad, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ConfusedUs posted:

Anyone sane, I mean.

Probably not, but I have browsed the Google map Aaronovitch posts on his blog

I like the added sense of realism but I understand why others don't care and that's fine

Also I fantasize about not living in America

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MildShow posted:

I'm sure that kind of thing would bother me if I actually lived in Chicago, but I much prefer the abstract downtown / suburb / neighborhood approach to the specifics given in Rivers of London. Without having a point of reference, I don't really see being specific as that much of an improvement.

I like the details. Sometimes Butcher's Chicago feels more like "generic city" than an actual place; it might as well be Metropolis. Like, doesn't Chicago have more black people than just one Russian guy?

But yeah this isn't a criticism so much as a matter of personal taste. I prefer my urban fantasy on the crime/ noir side and one of the absolute hallmarks of good noir is realism as to the setting -- I think Chandler even wrote an essay on exactly that point; what set Chandler and Hammett apart from pulp trash was 1) prose style and 2) they actually knew how police investigations worked, how San Francisco was laid out, etc.

Aaronovitch has that police-procedural background and I really like it for that reason. Again, though, just personal preference.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
There was that fun part where Butcher took a predominantly black neighborhood in Chicago that actually is fairly affluent and turned it into a crime ridden ghetto, to be saved only by the vigilante action of a bunch of white college students.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But yeah this isn't a criticism so much as a matter of personal taste. I prefer my urban fantasy on the crime/ noir side and one of the absolute hallmarks of good noir is realism as to the setting -- I think Chandler even wrote an essay on exactly that point; what set Chandler and Hammett apart from pulp trash was 1) prose style and 2) they actually knew how police investigations worked, how San Francisco was laid out, etc.

Have you tried the Bone Street Rhumba series by Daniel José Older?

It's the one I posted about reading the first book last year and I was consistently unimpressed but ended up really liking it a lot. The second book is pretty good as well.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Matthew Swift books are about 80% detailed and presumably accurate descriptions of London geography. Griffin describes the particular blend of concrete used to pave over a pothole for like two chapters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gilok posted:

The Matthew Swift books are about 80% detailed and presumably accurate descriptions of London geography. Griffin describes the particular blend of concrete used to pave over a pothole for like two chapters.

I stopped reading those books like fifteen pages in when she described a random wardrobe for two pages.

It wasn't a very interesting wardrobe.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I really like the setting, characters, and magic in the books, but boy did I learn to skim a lot of words about subway stations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Mars4523 posted:

There was that fun part where Butcher took a predominantly black neighborhood in Chicago that actually is fairly affluent and turned it into a crime ridden ghetto, to be saved only by the vigilante action of a bunch of white college students.

I think I read a blog post or a series of bloggers discussing this a few years back where they were calling him out on this.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Megazver posted:

I stopped reading those books like fifteen pages in when she described a random wardrobe for two pages.

It wasn't a very interesting wardrobe.

Gilok posted:

I really like the setting, characters, and magic in the books, but boy did I learn to skim a lot of words about subway stations.

This is the answer. When you start to get a bit bogged down, just skip. I've found on re-read that most of those long descriptive passages are actually kinda nice. But, the magic system in those books is hands down my favorite of all the urban fantasy books.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Or I could go read something better. But anyway.

If any of you want to play a good UF point'n'click, Kathy Rain just came out and it's very good. It's heavily influenced by Gabriel Knight and Blackwell and if either of these were your thing, you'll probably enjoy this one.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

So I'm writing an UF book at the moment, and scoping out the UF landscape as research when I noticed that I haven't read many (adult, YA seems different) UF books where the protagonist doesn't already know about the supernatural.

Anyone else had this experience? Because from my limited perspective it seems like the significant minority of adult, non-romance Urban Fantasy books focus a good chunk of the novel on a character piecing together what's going; it seems like everyone's already an occult detective / wizard / chosen one / hunter / werewolf, etc etc, or becomes one after about a single chapter. Neil Gaiman's books comes to mind as the former, though.

Am I just missing a huge chunk of UF books that aren't like that? Is the already-in-the-know protagonist a specifically modern trend post-Dresden Files?

EDIT: And of course as soon as I post this, I think of a few. Edited to clarify.

Melusine fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 10, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
All of the one-off, more literary British ones (Neverwhere, Kraken) that I've read are like that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Daphnaie posted:

So I'm writing an UF book at the moment, and scoping out the UF landscape as research when I noticed that I don't think I've read an (adult, YA seems different) UF book where the protagonist doesn't already know about the supernatural. Anyone else had this experience? Because I'm struggling to come up with an adult, non-romance Urban Fantasy book where a good chunk of the novel is a character piecing together what's going; it seems like everyone's already an occult detective / wizard / chosen one / hunter / werewolf, etc etc.

Am I just missing a huge chunk of UF books that aren't like that? Is the already-in-the-know protagonist a specifically modern trend post-Dresden Files?

The MC not knowing about ~things~ is common enough.

I can only think of one off the top of my head (that's not YA), but I would swear it's a big thing. Daniel Abraham MLN Hanover's Black Sun's Daughter is a decent example. The main character's introduced to the supernatural world because her uncle, who is a hardcore ghost killer, is killed and she inherits all his property...and then adventures. Although in order to compete in the world ~DEUS EX MACHINA~ her uncle magically spelled her with a killer instinct or something, I don't know. It's not bad.

I swear to god I know of more, and better ones. I'll give it some thought and maybe run through my library later.

I think Neverwhere by Gaiman is also the same, but I don't remember enough about it to say one way or another.

CHarles de Lint is probably a solid example of this thing, as well.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 10, 2016

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Peter Grant doesn't know anything about the supernatural until he meets a ghost in Rivers of London.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The main character in the Twenty Palaces series spends a pretty large portion of the prequel book being utterly clueless about the world of magic in the series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Daphnaie posted:

So I'm writing an UF book at the moment, and scoping out the UF landscape as research when I noticed that I haven't read many (adult, YA seems different) UF books where the protagonist doesn't already know about the supernatural.

If you really think about it, a lot of novels could be in that position and you just wouldn't know.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I just finished The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick. It had some amazing parts, but I have to categorize it as the most disappointing novel I've ever read. There's so much setup for what seems like it is going to be an amazing payoff at the end, just to have it unwind to be utterly meaningless and flat. Maybe that's the intention? But if so, that's only marginally better than it being an accident.

I'll def. be using some of the concepts and places from the book's Faerie in my Dresden Files RPG game I'm running if the players ever sortie further into that world's Faerie. Otherwise, though, I am immensely disappointed with this book.

Tunicate posted:

If you really think about it, a lot of novels could be in that position and you just wouldn't know.

LOL :2bong:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I thought the beginning and end of the Iron Dragon's Daughter were amazing, it was the middle that was an awful drag. The point was that life itself is utterly meaningless and flat, even in a weird fantasy universe with intertwined fates. And it is!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

One thing I thought of while reading burned (alex verus): The bubble realm sounds a lot like the ways from WOT. I wonder if that was just my interpretation, random chance, or a callout.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Little column a, little column b.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

It had some amazing parts, but I have to categorize it as the most disappointing novel I've ever read.

Have you read the Southern Reach trilogy?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Have you read the Southern Reach trilogy?

Because it's disappointing? Or because it's better?

In either case, no, but the question is, "should I?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Number Ten Cocks posted:

All of the one-off, more literary British ones (Neverwhere, Kraken) that I've read are like that.

Neverwhere was great, partially because I pictured the main character as played by Martin Freeman the whole time.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

Because it's disappointing? Or because it's better?

In either case, no, but the question is, "should I?"

The best way I can describe it is imagine you are a Lynch fan and you are watching the typical Lynch movie, getting more and more engrossed in the mystery and then at the end it pulls a Lost on you and it all fizzles out.

I'm not even sure I should call them bad books, it's just that I really got into the setting, the Roadside Picnic-esque premise is great, the second book is one of the best essays in paranoia and weird but then you don't get any real answers or otherwise satisfactory conclusion by the end of the third.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, twin peaks season 2 basically?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

So, twin peaks season 2 basically?

As far as frustrating and disappointing goes, yes. But there is a lot of it that works really well, that's why it's so disappointing rather than all out bad.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

The best way I can describe it is imagine you are a Lynch fan and you are watching the typical Lynch movie, getting more and more engrossed in the mystery and then at the end it pulls a Lost on you and it all fizzles out.

I'm not even sure I should call them bad books, it's just that I really got into the setting, the Roadside Picnic-esque premise is great, the second book is one of the best essays in paranoia and weird but then you don't get any real answers or otherwise satisfactory conclusion by the end of the third.

MeLKoR posted:

As far as frustrating and disappointing goes, yes. But there is a lot of it that works really well, that's why it's so disappointing rather than all out bad.

Wow, that sucks. Especially since I liked Roadside Picnic. The author is still alive, though. Is there anywhere to go after the trilogy? Is it possible he might give it a better ending some day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

Wow, that sucks. Especially since I liked Roadside Picnic. The author is still alive, though. Is there anywhere to go after the trilogy? Is it possible he might give it a better ending some day?
Possible? Certainly? But it doesn't look like he will. And it's all such a shame, the second book ends in a scene that reminded me of "that scene" from Event Horizon, you get to see something like that play out from the side of the people that got stuck. Just talking about the series is making me feel like reading it again because it has so many good moments but the lack of any sort of resolution left a really bitter taste.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 11, 2016