Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/dansinker/status/728607303264522241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sure. In fact, Ben Carson has a great idea on who can fill that open seat:

quote:

Ben Carson has a plan for Ted Cruz now that the Texas senator has dropped out of the GOP presidential race: attorney general, then Supreme Court justice under a Trump administration.

When Fox News Radio’s John Gibson asked Carson on Wednesday whether it would be “smart” for presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump to offer Cruz a position on the Supreme Court, he said yes.

“I think he would be terrific on the Supreme Court, or I think he would be a terrific attorney general. Or he could be both,” Carson said. “He could be attorney general first, you know, go ahead and prosecute Hillary, and then go on the Supreme Court.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ComradeCosmobot posted:

With the FCC working hard to crack down on abusive phone rates in jails, the companies responsible are already moving on to the new leading edge of jail technology: replacing all in-person visitation with 50¢ per minute video visitation that does not even work.

Well this is pretty loving evil. Where does this rank under justice reform? Does the reform need go: Laws, police, prison?

The what court?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

We've always had 8 justices? :confused:

They replaced Scalia with that ethnic lady.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

With the FCC working hard to crack down on abusive phone rates in jails, the companies responsible are already moving on to the new leading edge of jail technology: replacing all in-person visitation with 50¢ per minute video visitation that does not even work.

How is this legal? I'm guessing there's exceptions for meeting with your legal counsel otherwise it's definitely prime for being struck down since bilking the poo poo out of people or flat out making them unable to meet due to insufficient means seems like a no go pretty easily.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

How is this legal? I'm guessing there's exceptions for meeting with your legal counsel otherwise it's definitely prime for being struck down since bilking the poo poo out of people or flat out making them unable to meet due to insufficient means seems like a no go pretty easily.

It's for talking with friends/family. You'd be surprised how long people spend talking on the phone with relatives while in jail. It's all monitored, too!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The funny thing about the horrible rates prisoners were getting charged for regular phone calls, is that when adjusted for inflation they were normal costs for long distance calls, or sometimes even short distance calls, back when baby boomers were growing up. I wouldn't be surprised if why they kept raising the rates all along was so that they could continue to pocket ever increasing differences between the inflation adjusted prices everyone paid in the distant past and the real cost today (aka loving nothing).

fishmech fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 6, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Between, poo poo I don't know, Ben Carson talking about prosecuting Hillary for emails or Benghazi or both, the fact that Obama will probably also wind up in jail if Trump wins, the Senate not doing their job until they can appoint Ted Cruz to the SCOTUS, Donald talking about defaulting on the national debt like it's the One Weird Trick to fix the economy, and probably slowly coming to the realization that he can win the Presidency saying stupid poo poo to rattle the markets since shitposting on Twitter and a poor economy both do wonders for his poll numbers...

...15% chance America the nation doesn't make it to 2024? Does that sound about right?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
:supaburn:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Well, I mean, we as a country survived half the country getting so mad about a Presidential election they seceded and fought the bloodiest war in American history to continue to exercise their right to own other human beings, so, you know

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Empress Theonora posted:

Well, I mean, we as a country survived half the country getting so mad about a Presidential election they seceded and fought the bloodiest war in American history to continue to exercise their right to own other human beings, so, you know

"Survived."

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kilroy posted:

Between, poo poo I don't know, Ben Carson talking about prosecuting Hillary for emails or Benghazi or both, the fact that Obama will probably also wind up in jail if Trump wins, the Senate not doing their job until they can appoint Ted Cruz to the SCOTUS, Donald talking about defaulting on the national debt like it's the One Weird Trick to fix the economy, and probably slowly coming to the realization that he can win the Presidency saying stupid poo poo to rattle the markets since shitposting on Twitter and a poor economy both do wonders for his poll numbers...

...15% chance America the nation doesn't make it to 2024? Does that sound about right?

And in the tomb that holds his remains, Sherman begins to twitch and shudder as hate flows through his rotten muscles, urging him to move again.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

citybeatnik posted:

And in the tomb that holds his remains, Sherman begins to twitch and shudder as hate flows through his rotten muscles, urging him to move again.

...a shadow moves in the East

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

citybeatnik posted:

I can't loving wait for North Carolina to lose all loving access to Federal funds, including student loans for NC institutions.

Make 'em howl, make 'em howl, make the goddamn south howl.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Meanwhile, Erick, son of Erick is demanding that republicans apologize for impeaching Bill, since they have now decided to embrace a lying womanizer. Someone help, I can't hold all this schadenfreude.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Meanwhile, Erick, son of Erick is demanding that republicans apologize for impeaching Bill, since they have now decided to embrace a lying womanizer. Someone help, I can't hold all this schadenfreude.

Holy poo poo.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
http://www.redstate.com/aglanon/2016/05/02/i-lied-to-myself-for-years/

this election, it's so perfect

quote:

Ann Coulter, Gateway Pundit, Laura Ingraham, Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, Sarah Palin, Breitbart News, Matt Drudge, and scores of others, too many to list here. They are all people that at one time or another caused me to bury my face in my hands. Caused me more than once to say “wait…we ARE the stupid party?”

I’m done with it and I’m done with all of them. They are in this for money and power and influence and they think Donald Trump is their ticket. Hell, they may be right. And I’ll go down in flames with my principles before I join them.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Empress Theonora posted:

It's only the bloodiest if you consider confed deaths as "americans" instead of traitors getting the ditch burial they deserved.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

It's only the bloodiest if you consider confed deaths as "americans" instead of traitors getting the ditch burial they deserved.

pretty sure even if you discounted them, union deaths alone would still be more than enough to qualify

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Now now, they're just purposefully ruining their vehicles and breathing in diesel soot out of spite because we're too smug and condescending towards them. Really when you sit and think about it it's our fault for being elitist and asfkgktjjghkfkddddfgg

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

pretty sure even if you discounted them, union deaths alone would still be more than enough to qualify

In raw number more American soldiers died in combat in WWII than Union soldiers killed in the Civil War.

But still, it's not even close something like 2% of the US population died as a direct result of the Civil War lol.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Paul LePage continues to be comically awful, now using his influence to steal puppies.

quote:

The Greater Androscoggin Humane Society in Lewiston, Maine, says people can adopt animals on a first-come, first-served basis once they become publicly available. Arsenault planned to take off work and wait in line early Wednesday to be sure that she would be able to adopt the dog she had her eye on.

But on Tuesday night, she noticed that the organization had posted a photo of Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R) with that very same dog.

“I just saw him — and then I saw Jasper and I saw him holding Jasper — and I just started to cry,” Arsenault told the Sun Journal. “I felt like they lied to me.”

Shelter officials admitted they let the governor skip the line, hoping it would be good publicity to have him adopt from them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

Paul LePage continues to be comically awful, now using his influence to steal puppies.

What in the actual gently caress.

Did no one consider the optics of this?

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I can't loving wait for North Carolina to lose all loving access to Federal funds, including student loans for NC institutions.

Make 'em howl, make 'em howl, make the goddamn south howl.

That's great plan if you are Republican I guess. The GOP here has hated our universities for decades. Punishing the population who most likely opposes HB2 seems counter intuitive. Hell, Jesse Helms ranting and raving about "godless, communist" UNC in the 60's (when he wasn't trashing MLK) is how he made his mark. There was even an attempt by our Democratic Party to run Carolina's coach Dean Smith against Jesse Helms in 1990. Who knows how that would have went, given that Smith was more liberal than the state at large.

Also, do you realize the actual thought process behind HB2? Here's a secret: It involves municipalities and minimum wages. They knew drat well that the focus would be on the openly discriminatory parts of the legislation, allowing the pro-business parts to slip in quietly. That doesn't mean though that they won't put on a good show for their coalition of conservative northern transplants and home state Franklin Graham aficionados.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joementum posted:

:allbuttons:

It's just so common now for these people to be comically evil. Or at least, much more visible.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Joementum posted:

I'm more offended he named a living thing Veto. Not cause the politics or his vetoes. Just cause it is not a great name.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What is going on in this country. I was just told by a literal nazi re-enactor that black on black violence is the real problem, also abortion is the problem for minorities and who made abortion legal.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The city of Chicago is deeply divided by race and class, but the people are united in their view that Rahm is poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

WampaLord posted:

They probably did but when the governor of your state walks into your shelter they're getting any animal they want.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

WampaLord posted:

"Shelter officials admitted they let the governor skip the line, hoping it would be good publicity to have him adopt from them."

Yes, yes they did.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

holy poo poo, this election is magical. trump broke jennifer rubin

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I found an image of LePage from back in the 90's:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anos posted:

Last time we didn't take someone seriously they became the GOP nominee.

:wow:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

I'm starting to No True bureaucrat in my head every time I hear of this kind of thing.
You had one job you idiots! Treat everyone with dispassionate equality and then you choose to gently caress that up with giving a puppy to a Sith Lord.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm more offended he named a living thing Veto. Not cause the politics or his vetoes. Just cause it is not a great name.

Was Paul LePage the guy who tried to do a Pocket Veto but messed it up cause the legislature was still in session? If so lol at this poor dog

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

http://cookpolitical.com/story/9583

AZ, GA and NC in play for Dems is basically the End of Times for Republican electoral fortunes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

How would Ahmad ibn Fadlan describe the long death and funeral of the GOP party?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I love that she's just coming around to this poo poo now that it's far too late and the GOP has ensured electoral defeat by nominating a sentient middle finger to lead the ticket.

The time to have this come-to-Jesus moment was 2012 at the latest, but that didn't happen because the GOP figured they could wring one more midterm victory out of the lunatic fringe eating their party before the wheels fully came off.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Actually, I like MIGF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
No, see it was your principles all along that were the problem!

• Locked thread