Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Driving a Honda around America? They're likely to get beat up or shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This is great

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mclaren's greatest asset is not their chassis or their works partnership, it is the banter between Jenson and Nando. It's going to criminal if they let Jenson go for some Belgium pastry.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Remember how the season went last time Fernando was appearing in funny adverts alongside his team-mate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AQGohc3zI

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Strudel Vandoor seems like a good kid

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Out of the 5 most popular cars in america, 2 are hondas. Here, let me just fix that for you...

Driving a Convertible around Texas? They're likely to get tied to a fence and beaten

(I escaped with only minor coal rolling burns)

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Only if you're in 80's Detroit... Actually, your odds of being killed are pretty good in current Detroit too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Nill posted:

Only if you're in 80's Detroit... Actually, your odds of being killed are pretty good in current Detroit too.

Yeah don't go to Michigan for any reason, really.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Norns posted:

Yeah don't go to Michigan for any reason, really.

I skipped Detroit last time I was in the States... are you saying this time I should give it a michigan?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
ill pay that.

but i wont quote it

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

simplefish posted:

I skipped Detroit last time I was in the States... are you saying this time I should give it a michigan?

No matter many times I read this , I don't understand what you are trying to say it ask.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is "michigan" slang for something on the hard streets of stevenage?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

simplefish posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

give it a miss = not bother to go
I didn't go before = again

give it a michigan = give it a miss again

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

This seems like some numberwang bullshit to me.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's no more than this thread deserves

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
God drat, England. For the country that invented the language, you sure as poo poo can't speak it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I've had this post sitting in a txt file half finished for a few days now. I don't know why it took so long, I guess I got busy with work or something.

1500quidporsche posted:

I haven't taken a close look but on a surface level it just seems like HCCI but with an injector to control detonation.

To be honest the whole HCCI thing never made a whole lot of sense, there's a whole host of reasons you couldn't do that without something like Avgas and it just illustrated how bad the tech reporting for F1 is.

I'm not even convinced there is any major benefit to the jet ignition system other than possibly trying to skirt the fuel flow limit.

Because of the fuel flow/amount limit, and the 30s limit on ERS use, the manufacturers have to get the biggest bang possible out of a tiny amount of fuel. This is where HCCI and Jet Ignition come in.

The major benefit to HCCI and jet ignition is to allow them to get the most power out of an ultra lean intake charge, while still preventing uncontrolled detonation. By being able to control the detonation, they are able to get more power by increasing the compression ratio (think like 15:1 or higher, and that’s before you add in the compression increase the turbo gives you). Also because HCCI/Jet allows them to run ultra lean charges, the engines become fuel sippers. So now that the cars are getting maximum power with less fuel used, teams don’t have to intentionally fuel save as much (or at all). And the less time you spend saving fuel, the more time you spend racing.
That’s the benefit to HCCI and Jet Ignition. It’s to stop fuel saving to keep the cars running flat out.

Look at what happened to Alonso last race when he stopped saving fuel. He pounded out a super quick time (for McLaren) on a whim, because he was bored. Now imagine if McLaren could run like that all of the time.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 6, 2016

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's a bit of a false example because if McLaren could run like that, Mercedes could run another 2-3 seconds quicker too.

And no-one would notice the slightest difference from now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

It's a bit of a false example because if McLaren could run like that, Mercedes could run another 2-3 seconds quicker too.

And no-one would notice the slightest difference from now.

yeah i made that point a few days ago when boullier said they'd catch williams if they didn't have to save fuel. but everyone is saving fuel. it's only a true statement if, given no fuel consumption limits whatsoever, the honda engine could be cranked higher than the rest, and that's obviously not the case.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

be nice wicka posted:

yeah i made that point a few days ago when boullier said they'd catch williams if they didn't have to save fuel. but everyone is saving fuel. it's only a true statement if, given no fuel consumption limits whatsoever, the honda engine could be cranked higher than the rest, and that's obviously not the case.

But that's my point, the biggest benefit of merc and ferrari's ultra lean combustion is that they are doing less fuel saving than Honda and Renault. Paddy Lowe has already said that all of the engines are probably within 5% of each other. But Ferrari and Merc are more than 5% faster. They got that way by using less fuel at full chat and are able to do less fuel saving. Their long run pace is better as a result.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:siren:Big Effort Post ranting about HCCI and F1's Technical Journaism:siren:

There's a couple of problems with HCCI, the biggest issue is that almost by design it encourages major amounts of knock. My chemistry is a little rusty but the theory is that you're making it easier to break the chemical bonds in petroleum thereby giving you more "free energy" at the end of that process.

Now this is not really an issue in a four pot engine puttering around town barely above idle but I can't see it working with a tightly packaged V6 Turbo redlining at 12,000 rpm. You can control this to a certain extent by raising the octane (against the rules in F1) but the higher you rev the engine the more precise the timing event for ignition has to be in order to maximize the energy you get from detonation. These aren't insurmountable challenges but the question has to be asked why you would go that route when a spark plug is mandated by the rule, there's a number of compromises to this set up including the fact that you're running a less dense hotter fuel to air mixture and the fact that a misfire at 12,000 rpm isn't too great for engine life or power.

This is why I get pissed off about F1's technical journalism, Ted said Ferrari have HCCI and everybody ran with it without even questioning it, they just black boxed the technology and said it worked like diesel, which is fine except a spark plug is mandated by the rules and a HCCI engine is going to be misfiring all over the place unless you're allowed to race the octane of the gas being used so it was pretty clear somebody whispered in Ted's ear that Ferrari had HCCI and everyone took that at face value.

I suspect the advantage to Jet Ignition is down to its combustion characteristic compared to a traditional spark plug, if you can shape the exit to the preignition chamber properly you'd get a more even ignition of the combustion chamber versus a conventional spark plug. If you can ignite the air/fuel all at once during maximum compression you're again maximizing the energy being extracted from that ignition event.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the indycar and NASCAR threads are around for those of you who actually know how cars work

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Yenson

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I want Fernando to read me a bedtime story. Perhaps Don Quixote. Love u Nando no homo.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
For those too lazy, here are the best ones imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFozVIc6n8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpCVv5pgYY

But watch them all, they're pretty good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

are you a woman, yenson?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Halo14 posted:

I want Fernando to read me a bedtime story. Perhaps Don Quixote. Love u Nando no homo.

Accurate

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Can't wait to eat a hautdawg

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Jules Danilo just tripped over the stretcher they laid out for him after he came off his bike in Moto3 qualifying

It's not a jeep on track, but it's still a bit funny

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Some brutal high sides in that quali.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I want to hang out with Yenson and Nado and be one of their American Bro's. :clint:

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

simplefish posted:

Sceptical is the correct spelling, your snarky little [sic] is misplaced

I .. I didn't actually realise it was that way around. "oops"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

andyf posted:

I .. I didn't actually realise it was that way around. "oops"

sceptical is only the correct spelling if you're a brit FYI and decided spellings were set in stone during the reign of george III

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's correct both ways, depending on where you're from. I never said it was the only correct way with a c.

wicka you're a man with an eye for detail in what people have and haven't said, come on.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

simplefish posted:

It's correct both ways, depending on where you're from. I never said it was the only correct way with a c.

wicka you're a man with an eye for detail in what people have and haven't said, come on.

my passion in life is being lovely about british english

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The colour of your aluminium is the bloody dog's bollocks Wika, I'm chuffed to bits.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh hey, turns out Taki Inoue is a bit of a racist

:yikes:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Skarsnik posted: