Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

And has no idea about basic computer security, at least 3 of those tabs are malware popups. loving adblock dude.
There will be further irony once he has to pay big $$$ to some ransomware author to decrypt his projects made with stolen software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Incredible :allears: No one reads my twitter, but that deserves a retweet.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

There's probably five or six different threads I could post this question in, but hey this seems like as good as any of them: anybody have a midi controller with a bunch of rotary encoders that work well as a knob box for synth plugins? I've been looking at the Behringer BCR (which I'm not wild about) and the MIDI Fighter Twister (which is $$$) but I'd love to hear some other recommendations.
I used to have the Behringer fader unit, the BCF2000. The hardware was solid as hell, surprisingly nice unit for the money. But the software/configuration for that thing really blew. I'm sure it was technically capable of doing what I wanted, but I didn't have the time or wherewithal to do the research and experimentation required to hack together an appropriate solution.

The MIDI Fighter thing seems to have significantly better configuration tools, which IMO is a huge plus.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

I used to have the Behringer fader unit, the BCF2000. The hardware was solid as hell, surprisingly nice unit for the money. But the software/configuration for that thing really blew. I'm sure it was technically capable of doing what I wanted, but I didn't have the time or wherewithal to do the research and experimentation required to hack together an appropriate solution.

The MIDI Fighter thing seems to have significantly better configuration tools, which IMO is a huge plus.

That's weird to hear because my BCF was an utter piece of poo poo. Loud as gently caress, didn't register values correctly, the motors freaked out often... and yeah the software was terrible. It would not astound me to find out that Behringer makes wildly inconsistent products though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

For what it's worth, the knobs on my Beatstep Pro feel real nice. It's only got 16 knobs and they obviously aren't the focus, but it might pay to look at other Arturia gear?

For reference, I had a BCR and hated it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

For what it's worth, the knobs on my Beatstep Pro feel real nice. It's only got 16 knobs and they obviously aren't the focus, but it might pay to look at other Arturia gear?

For reference, I had a BCR and hated it.

I'm sure I could find a billion other reasons to want a Beatstep Pro so it's not out of the question it might fill my needs as is. Thanks for the info!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

There's probably five or six different threads I could post this question in, but hey this seems like as good as any of them: anybody have a midi controller with a bunch of rotary encoders that work well as a knob box for synth plugins? I've been looking at the Behringer BCR (which I'm not wild about) and the MIDI Fighter Twister (which is $$$) but I'd love to hear some other recommendations.

I used to use a Novation zero SL mkI for a bunch of synths, was pretty handy because of the dual displays and 8 faders for 2xadsr. Build quality wasn't too impressive but still liked it much better than the bcr. Now I'm all Push.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

W424 posted:

I used to use a Novation zero SL mkI for a bunch of synths, was pretty handy because of the dual displays and 8 faders for 2xadsr. Build quality wasn't too impressive but still liked it much better than the bcr. Now I'm all Push.

Yeah i have a Push too, but I was looking for something cross-software. That said I just found a good utility for Push + Cubase, and I'm kind of transitioning towards Live/Reaper as my main DAWs so I'm pretty confident I can get the Push working how I want with Reaper as well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
For those of you who aren't anti-iLok, UVI is giving away its Digital Synsations library.

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/digital-synsations.html?utm_source=KVR&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FREEDS_KVR_0316

Just enter voucher code FREEDS during checkout and it goes from $199 to $0. Haven't finished downloading it yet, but I do love free poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drat right :colbert:

e: I'm crazy anti-iLok, and I'm wondering how they did this stuff. Isn't the M1 and D50 sample-based, and if so did they get permission from Korg/Roland to use their samples? If they actually sound like those synths I'm super interested, but again... iLok.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

e: I'm crazy anti-iLok, and I'm wondering how they did this stuff. Isn't the M1 and D50 sample-based, and if so did they get permission from Korg/Roland to use their samples? If they actually sound like those synths I'm super interested, but again... iLok.
They definitely sound like the original instruments because they're all sample based. Now the filters, envelopes, and effects might work/sound different (because they use their own sound engine for that stuff), but the individual patches are all based on samples of the original hardware.

UVI tries to make a good faith effort at not trampling too much on the original IP owners' rights: They avoid mentioning original manufacturer names and model numbers, and try to use clever sound-alikes when naming patches and instruments. But most importantly, most of their libraries based on classic instruments are actually new patches designed on the original hardware rather than simple rips of the original factory libraries. They used to mention original manufacturers/models a lot more freely in their older instruments and documentation, but they're usually more circumspect about it now.

Doesn't mean it would stand up in court if Roland or KORG had a beef, but so far UVI has survived while some competing publishers who flew too close to the sun had to pull their libraries.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

UVI tries to make a good faith effort at not trampling too much on the original IP owners' rights

It just tripped me up that they specifically mention the Yamaha SY77, Korg M1, Ensoniq VFX and Roland D50 on the product page itself. For sample-based instruments, that usually means "endorsed by" and "literally the exact samples".

I already have the Korg Legacy Collection M1, but I'm so interested in the rest that I might see if I can find a way to tolerate iLok on my computer.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

Isn't the M1 and D50 sample-based

Eh, sorta. They use very short samples combined with early virtual analog. The D50 at least also has patches that don't use samples at all, apart from what I guess are probably saw/square wave samples.

At any rate tho, gently caress iLok.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

It just tripped me up that they specifically mention the Yamaha SY77, Korg M1, Ensoniq VFX and Roland D50 on the product page itself. For sample-based instruments, that usually means "endorsed by" and "literally the exact samples".
I haven't owned all the original synths in that pack but the D-50 one is def. not a straight rip of the factory library. That was one of their last products where they mentioned the actual models. There are usually little disclaimers at the bottom of the page (even for the newer libraries where they don't mention the synths), indicating no affiliation. For Digital Synsations it just says "UVI is not affiliated, endorsed or sponsored by the Yamaha Corporation, the Korg Corporation, the Roland Corporation or the Ensoniq Corp. All trademarks are held by their respective owners." but some of them are even more explicit: "SynclavierŪ, NED & New England Digital are trademarks of their respective owners and are not affiliated, endorsed, connected or sponsored in any way to this website or any of our affiliate sites ; therefore do not be confused between UVI and SynclavierŪ."

Tayter Swift posted:

Eh, sorta. They use very short samples combined with early virtual analog. The D50 at least also has patches that don't use samples at all, apart from what I guess are probably saw/square wave samples.
Roland is current copyright owner of the PCMs the D-50 uses (they were originally property of Eric Persing and I think one other person) and they have forced some publishers to stop selling/distributing products that used them. (I think I've also read that they have never licensed the PCMs to any 3rd parties for use, so basically no sample library featuring them is truly legit- but I could be thinking of another company.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not only does it require iLok but it only downloads over http? :psyduck: Who in their right mind would send you a 10GB file over http.

Why does life have to be so hard, I just want cheesy synths.

e: it's downloading at ~200KB/s and after about 6 hours of course my internet goes down. Did UVI not get the memo that it's 2016?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 10, 2016

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Not only does it require iLok but it only downloads over http? :psyduck: Who in their right mind would send you a 10GB file over http.
Yeah, and I don't think they have a content distribution network either. I'm in the Pacific Northwest USA and my UVI downloads are crazy slow, but I've heard they're fast for European users. (EDIT: And I use their "US Standard Link" mirror links when available- still slow- but they don't offer those for all products.)

UVI was the reason I discovered and installed the DownThemAll! plugin for Firefox.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 10, 2016

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Why does life have to be so hard, I just want cheesy synths.

e: it's downloading at ~200KB/s and after about 6 hours of course my internet goes down. Did UVI not get the memo that it's 2016?

I started the download last night and of course it disconnected me on their end. I decided to bite the bullet and use the stupid download manager they recommended and it should be done in 2-3 days on my 100Mb connection. I can't imagine how pissed off I would be if I actually paid for it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pyrotek posted:

I can't imagine how pissed off I would be if I actually paid for it.

I was thinking the same thing :haw:

Anyway, I eventually got it downloaded and installed on my laptop (don't feel like installing sketchy "anti-piracy" drivers and download managers on my stationary) and it's essentially just a collection of presets. You can change the filter and add/remove effects but that's where the customization ends. Still loads of cheesy sounds though so maybe I'll sample it and transfer it that way.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
How is Arturia for software support? I was thinking of treating myself to an Arturia V software pack.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VColl4-e

Or is this one of those things where I could find a bunch of free equivalents if I just set aside the time to shop around?

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

Brony Car posted:

How is Arturia for software support? I was thinking of treating myself to an Arturia V software pack.

Or is this one of those things where I could find a bunch of free equivalents if I just set aside the time to shop around?

I can't comment on the software support, but I should point out that the Arturia V Collection tends to go on sale for $200 once or twice a year, if you can hold off for a bit. Unfortunately you just missed the last sale by about two months.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have the classics collection and it's really great imo.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Brony Car posted:

They are polite and get back to you but still took a while to untangle why my V3 to V4 upgrade hosed up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hi.

I've searched all over the net for a solution to my issue without finding anything (though that could be due to my CFS addled brain)... so I'm wondering if anyone here can help?

I'm trying to build a mini live looping rig with a Korg Microkey 61, a Microkey 37 and the NanoKontrol2 and NanoPad2 and my old midi pedalboards. I'm using a Windows 10 machine, and an old version of cubase (I'm willing to upgrade if need be)

The reason why I chose the microkeys was because I'm finding it physically challenging to play full sized keys these days. The issue that I have with the microkeys is the lack of sustain pedal input, which makes playing piano a challenge. I've found a damper pedal hardware mod that a friend has offered to do for me that stops the mod wheel from working, but I'm ideally looking for a software solution.

I have a USB midi interface and an old FCB1010 pedalboard as well as a Yamaha FC200 that I'm planning on daisy chaining up, and I want to use a couple of the switches on the pedalboards to operate as the sustain pedals for the two microkeys.

So I want switch 1 of a pedalboard + the Microkey61 to ideally be merged into a new virtual midi device, and switch 2 of the same pedalboard + Microkey37 to be merged to another virtual midi device that cubase recognises.

Can anyone help and point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
This sounds like a job for custom code... How are your python chops?

Other options would include max (or max4live), Reaktor, puredata, or you try to wrap your head around scripting midi-ox or reaper.

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 18, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

snorch posted:

This sounds like a job for custom code... How are your python chops?

Other options would include max (or max4live), Reaktor, puredata, or you try to wrap your head around scripting midi-ox or reaper.

I used to program back in the day, but like many things, I don't have those skills any more with my growing neurological issues.

I tried setting something up with EigenD before my brain imploded (it's technically possible in that) and max had the same issues. I really thought that there would be an off the shelf application that would do this, but it appears not. I'll check out your other suggestions when I have the brain for it. Thanks for the reply.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
If you're staying within windows then midi yoke will provide you with virtual devices to send messages to, the rest should just be filtering CCs from your input devices and routing them to midi yoke accordingly in your musical programming environment of choice. If you're stumped I can take a stab at putting something together in pd later this weekend.

snorch fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 19, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

snorch posted:

If you're staying within windows then midi yoke will provide you with virtual devices to send messages to, the rest should just be filtering CCs from your input devices and routing them to midi yoke accordingly in your musical programming environment of choice. If you're stumped I can take a stab at putting something together in pd later this weekend.

Thanks, I'm a little way away from even being able to plug everything together and was just seeing if there was an easy off-the-shelf app that did what I wanted it to do without getting my friend to do the hardward mod. I have already looked at Midi Yoke to create virtual midi channels, but was put off as it hasn't been updated for 10 years. I guess it works ok with WIN10? I'm a MAC man by heart, but finances have forced me to migrate to Windows....

I'll have a look into max , Reaktor & puredata over the next few days and do some reading and see if I can get my head around it.... but I may call on your help in a week or few for your offer of scripting help if I get stumped.

I used to use live instruments routed through audio mixers, and then into looping boxes back in the day, but health means that I'm now stuck with VSTs and the microkeyboards.

The closest I got to multi-instrument live looping that survived was this thing I did in 2002 - https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/nov22-snippet-full-impro - which was more an experiment rather than a performance.

Prior to that, I used to live loop with 5,6 and 7 string electric violins -i.e. https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/thursday-piece

On good health days, I'd love to be able to the same type of poo poo again :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 19, 2016

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Hey guys! I'm trying to get back into producing and am wondering, is there a better thing for controlling a hardware synth with a VST via MIDI than CTRLR?

I bought a Virus TI a while ago and the VC software makes my PC BSOD. Spent way too much money + time trying to fix it and couldn't.

I found this panel for the TI in CTRLR: [http://tinyurl.com/hgnuffp]

Despite researching and plugging away at it for hours though I can't get it to work. It half works in the standalone; MIDI goes to the TI okay, though it can't seem to receive anything from the synth. Doesn't work at all in the VST.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Apologies for the cross-post from the synth thread, but Virta is now out:
http://madronalabs.com/products/virta

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Okay sorry if this is the wrong thread or if this is extremely noobish (I mean, it is):

My current recording setup is a keyboard (Yamaha P-105, standard issue digital piano with no frills) > Audiobox USB > laptop (with Cubase 5). Well, now I want to experiment with MIDI, but the P-105 doesn't have any MIDI ports. The Audiobox, however, has 1 in/1 out.

What would be the simplest and/or most cost efficient way to introduce MIDI to my setup? Ideally I'd use the keyboard I already have, but seeing as it wasn't built with MIDI, I assume there's no magic box to turn it into a controller. Would I be able to just grab a cheap controller, plug it in to the box, pick some VSTs, and go? Or is there a smarter way to go about this? I see a lot of controllers are USB anyway. Should I just bypass the Audiobox and go straight to Cubase via USB? I can do that right?

If it helps, I'm mostly interested in using virtual instruments for songwriting and arranging. Not so much full blown synthesizing. I don't think I'm ready for that rabbit hole.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Discombobulator posted:

Would I be able to just grab a cheap controller, plug it in to the box, pick some VSTs, and go? Or is there a smarter way to go about this? I see a lot of controllers are USB anyway. Should I just bypass the Audiobox and go straight to Cubase via USB? I can do that right?

I'm not sure of any proven advantage of using direct USB instead of doing MIDI through your interface, but yes, either of these options would work fine. Trying to use the P-105 as a controller would at best be a half-featured kludge, so you'll need to pick up a new controller.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Discombobulator posted:

Okay sorry if this is the wrong thread or if this is extremely noobish (I mean, it is):

My current recording setup is a keyboard (Yamaha P-105, standard issue digital piano with no frills) > Audiobox USB > laptop (with Cubase 5). Well, now I want to experiment with MIDI, but the P-105 doesn't have any MIDI ports. The Audiobox, however, has 1 in/1 out.

What would be the simplest and/or most cost efficient way to introduce MIDI to my setup? Ideally I'd use the keyboard I already have, but seeing as it wasn't built with MIDI, I assume there's no magic box to turn it into a controller. Would I be able to just grab a cheap controller, plug it in to the box, pick some VSTs, and go? Or is there a smarter way to go about this? I see a lot of controllers are USB anyway. Should I just bypass the Audiobox and go straight to Cubase via USB? I can do that right?

If it helps, I'm mostly interested in using virtual instruments for songwriting and arranging. Not so much full blown synthesizing. I don't think I'm ready for that rabbit hole.
The Yamaha P-105 has a usb out port that carries midi. So you can "bypass the audiobox and go straight into Cubase via usb" using that. You may or may not have to install the appropriate driver from the website and you'll probably have to look in the manual for how to turn off local control (so when you're playing your virtual instrument, the built in sounds aren't also triggered), but you should pretty much be good to go with what you have.

e: post above calling it a kludge assumes the piano doesn't have any midi out as you suggested, in which case that would be correct. But it does.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 3, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
You will need to get a controller that already has MIDI or USB, yes. Which one you'd prefer would be up to you; USB may be more convenient if you're only going to use it with your laptop, but will be significantly less flexible if you ever start buying outboard gear. There are some keyboards with both, which lets you choose whatever works for a given situation. You're both lucky and cursed with the fact that there are just zillions of affordable options out there for dumb controllers. Lucky in that there's bound to be something that suits your needs, cursed in that a lot of those options are crap that will play horribly and break in a month.

What's your budget and how many keys are you looking for?

e: welp, that's what I get for not looking up your existing unit

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

e: post above calling it a kludge assumes the piano doesn't have any midi out as you suggested, in which case that would be correct. But it does.

yeah, i didn't look it up, just took the dude's word on it. seems like you're good to go.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

yeah, i didn't look it up, just took the dude's word on it. seems like you're good to go.
Didn't mean to rub it in, I just wanted to point out that what I was talking about wasn't the kludge you were talking about :v:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

no problem, we are all children of DAW

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Yamaha P-105 has a usb out port that carries midi

:doh:
Yep, the manual refers to PDF instructions on doing this.

Trig Discipline posted:

What's your budget and how many keys are you looking for?

I'm going to give the P-105 a go, of course, but...
Budget is $150-250. I could be talked into $300 if it was really worth it.
Keys are flexible. The controller would be replacing an old cheapass 76-key Yamaha keyboard, so I have the space for anything 76 or less. Realistically I only need something for one hand, but then I could totally see being mad at myself 5 years from now when I'm trying to do some two hand poo poo. I could probably get away with less than 76 keys for two hands right?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=460687

Really nice-sounding if limited monosynth for grabs. Vote on which filter you like best.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Empirical Labs just released a software version of the Distressor. I'm excited to try it out but it requires an iLok. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So I'd like to split my arranger keyboard so I can play some different hardware synths at once on different zones of the keyboard. This does not seem to be possible from the keyboard itself. Is there a vst anyone can recommend just for this purpose?