Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Smouldering Lake somehow feels even more rushed than Lost Izalith did.

I don't know about that one, I mean I didn't see twenty of the same stupid dragon torsos placed in the same manner as enemies in a late 90s fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

So, I just got invaded by the Pale Shade of Londor in Irithyll. Which is kinda weird, since I'm pretty sure he's only supposed to show up if you piss off Yuria. And I never even enountered Yuria on this character.
Kinda annoyed by that, considering he killed me before I could find a shortcut or another bonfire, and thus I have to go through the room full of nasty bug ladies again.

I think it's more that he goes after you if you're not in Yuria's good graces. Since you haven't met her, she can't be happy with you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Ooh, you gave me an idea. How about the Exile Mask?

Now there's a guy who's ashamed of his appearance.

Seems pretty sweet. Go for that overall coverage, like the Leper from Darkest Dungeon.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Harrow posted:

Seems pretty sweet. Go for that overall coverage, like the Leper from Darkest Dungeon.

That really makes me wish there was a version of the sellsword helm with a full mask on, for maximum Kingdom of Heaven

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xenolalia posted:

That really makes me wish there was a version of the sellsword helm with a full mask on, for maximum Kingdom of Heaven

That would be so good. I'd love to play a hollowed-out dude dressed all Baldwin IV. Then grab a Greatsword and cosplay the Darkest Dungeon Leper. It's brilliant.

It'd be even better if there was a broken Greatsword but I'll live.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Harrow posted:

That would be so good. I'd love to play a hollowed-out dude dressed all Baldwin IV. Then grab a Greatsword and cosplay the Darkest Dungeon Leper. It's brilliant.

It'd be even better if there was a broken Greatsword but I'll live.

Executioner's greatsword works pretty well

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I think I've hit my limit for how hard I can make the game for myself. Needed to summon help for the final boss at level 15, +2 Raw Barbed Straight Sword, but the phantom croaked halfway through. Bleed rouge because otherwise I was doing around 60 damage per swing and my estus wouldn't last long enough.

But I think this is the closest I can come to having a low level twink character in this game. I'm still in High Wall / Undead Settlement PVP range but I'd be coming in with 7 charges of a +10 estus and a Hornet Ring. Cheap as hell, but I kinda need all of the help I can get. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Please stop spawning me here game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Please stop spawning me here game

This was the one and only time I got summoned in as a blue sentinel. I didn't make it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I hate that the Reversal Ring doesn't also change Anri's gender so I can get gay married.

RBA Starblade posted:

The catacombs felt pretty bloodborney to me personally as well.

The vibe I got from them is more like a Skyrim dungeon, right down to the color scheme, decor, and existence of fun traps. Also skeletons.

Miyazaki is an avowed fan of Elder Scrolls, so maybe that was on purpose.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy poo poo, you can cause both of the Stray Demon's legs to crumble :stare:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Deified Data posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Lost Izalith was inspired by Angkor Wat and other similar Cambodian sights down to the architecture and trees wrapping around the ruins and it was a unique area. Smoldering Lake isn't anything but a copy pasted ash lake with a chalice dungeon underneath it. It's shorter and much less imaginative.

The only thing SL has going for it is a better boss, and that isn't saying much.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Well that's one way to cosplay Lorian...

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I think I get the hate for Smoldering Lake, but it struck me instantly that you were meant to draw ballista fire in order to kill the big worm rather than dick around, which is probably what frustrates a lot of people.

It was a neat little aside with some straightforward challenges past that point, but honestly they should've taken the opportunity just to copy/paste the entire actual city portion of Lost Izalith but fill it with more unique encounters, since the design, as pointed out, had a very distinct flavor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo, you can cause both of the Stray Demon's legs to crumble :stare:

I did that and I died when it fell on me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The big worm is easier to kill if you turn off the balista and then just stand behind it. It always rises from predetermined spots and can't attack you from the back. Its a really dumb worm.

Needed the milkring for pseudo-teleport rolls.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I think the catacombs in DS1 are done a lot better; DS3's felt overly gamey because of how neat and tidy everything was. This includes the ruins under Smouldering Lake, which looks like it was used with the same tileset. The original catacombs, in comparison, had a lot of assymetric areas that really lended a more organic feel to the place. An underground ruin lined with the bones of thousands shouldn't look neat and tidy.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Microwaves Mom posted:

pretty sure they're vort and the dancer's ghost's maybe tied to DLC later.

I recognized the similarities with the bosses, I just thought it was weird that they didn't do anything with the ghosts. I first thought they might lead to a illusory wall or a semi-hidden item but they just walk to the bonfire/bridge. Lore-wise I don't really see the point of showing them leaving the valley when we have already seen them outside it. Being (possibly) tied to DLC would make sense though.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Man, I love ENB and his playthroughs, but watching his blind DS3 Playthrough...it's almost like he's trying to troll his viewers. Granted, he's caught some small details I missed, but the way he totally misses some big things is just making me squirm sometimes. The thing that really set me off was watching him go up the elevator at fire link, HEARING the gate shut behind him, then he edits out what would have been his view of patches at the gate while he is looking down the pit to take a shortcut. Right after that, he remembered enough to go looking for Hawkwood and finds his shield near the abyss walkers grave. He's done stuff like this a few times in this Playthrough, and I just wanna shake him haha. Sucks other nerds couldn't control themselves and he had to disable comments, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The big worm is easier to kill if you turn off the balista and then just stand behind it. It always rises from predetermined spots and can't attack you from the back. Its a really dumb worm.

idk, the ballista can kill it for you so you can just stand there and wait for it to die

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Debated just letting the red kills this guy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk, the ballista can kill it for you so you can just stand there and wait for it to die

I thought you had to be in its line of fire to hit the worm with it.

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhykbL7bk34

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
There's a rock you can hide behind that's right behind the worm, the ballista will try to shoot you but the rock will shield you while hitting the worm. Like a minute later the worm will be dead.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

NTT posted:

I think the catacombs in DS1 are done a lot better; DS3's felt overly gamey because of how neat and tidy everything was. This includes the ruins under Smouldering Lake, which looks like it was used with the same tileset. The original catacombs, in comparison, had a lot of assymetric areas that really lended a more organic feel to the place. An underground ruin lined with the bones of thousands shouldn't look neat and tidy.

Good point, I sort of thought they were intentionally going for a well kept/tidy appearance because Carthus is supposed to be vaguely ancient Egyptian and it's a tomb? But yeah, I definitely agree, the catacombs in ds1 were cold and damp looking, rather spooky, while catacombs in ds3 felt like an Indiana Jones set.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I see nothing wrong with that remarkable face.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Flung on bluecop for a bit there thinking i'd get gently caress all as I'm nearing lvl 200 but getting reliably summoned every 5-10 minutes or so. And thank christ because silver knight ear farming makes me want to self harm.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

RatHat posted:

Rapport is so broken in this game. It doesn't work on that many enemies, but the ones it does work on it trivializes since they'll just sit there and let you kill them. And if there are other enemies around they might even take out a few for you. Rapport even has range now! "Sure friend I'll let you backstab me 5 times in a row"

I must have ground out more than 6,000,000 souls the other day to buy titaninte (because 13,000 to 20,000 per item is expensive when you're upgrading like 90 items) by just running up to the fat angel tower, making them drop, casting Rapport, watching the first two fight, and killing the one that survived. Then, I'd simply warp back to the bonfire and repeat. Not even any enemies along the way. To be honest I think it might be even more efficient time-wise than trying to kill the third one too, because By warping out and running back up, you'd be probably 2/3 of the way back to the area by the time you would have killed the third one by fighting it. Besides: a) this way is practically zero risk; and b) screw fighting these guys anyway. They always drop at least one thing, and I can tell you that you'll NEVER have to buy large shards again. I'm not sure if the Gold Serpent ring increased the chances of dropping chunks, but I got quite a few. Plus a bunch of Halberds and Twinaxes.

With Shield of Want and Silver Serpent ring, just killing the two first ones - and by killing them, I mean casting Rapport, watching them fight, and one-shotting the survivor - you get (17450*2)=34900 souls per run on NG - with ZERO risk. That's just over 100K in three runs, which takes less than 6 minutes. [edit: to put that value into perspective, that 100K buys you 5 Scale Titanintes, and it costs (1+2+4+8=15) of those to get weapons that upgrade with scales to +4...so in 9 runs you'll be able to get enough materials to upgrade one of those weapons to +4] Even if that one left alive kills you, you will ALWAYS be able to retrieve your souls, because there are NO enemies between you and the tower unless you are retarded and forget to send the elevator back down to the bonfire on your way up, and then you fall into the elevator shaft.

I wouldn't do it to this amount of excess ever again (because it's boring as hell, and I couldn't wait to be done with it), but if you need to level up a few times or just want a few hundred K, or even a million K, to upgrade a few weapons to +9 / +4 before a NG cycle, there is no faster way to do it. It's crazy. I just did it so much on my 1st character because she's testing things out for other characters to see if I like them or not. So - if you want a lot of titanite, Rapport is the train ticket to titanite town. And I reasonably am pretty sure that using Rapport and just skipping the third of the fat bastards is more efficient over 10+ runs. It's certainly less dangerous. Those suckers have a way of obscuring your vision and locking you into corners, and it's pretty hard to chain-backstab that third one even with Slumbering Dragon ring.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 6, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought you had to be in its line of fire to hit the worm with it.

you can be totally safe from it if you stand on the rocks behind the worm. gotta position yourself right, but you can definitely do it

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Full Metal Jackass posted:

High strength build with the need to swing the largest most ridiculous poo poo. I want to spend my resources wisely:

Smough's Great Hammer

or

Fume UGS

Anyone have any experience or opinion on which one to upgrade?

Yhorm's machete is my jam and bread

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I feel like a loving idiot asking this despite wikis (can find a map for farrons, but not a map of ithylylylyl welp).

From the Church of Yorshka Bonfire, which direction leads me to the Pontif, and which direction do I avoid to not trigger "You went into the dungeon, so Sieg and Geriat's questline can go gently caress themselves".

Or at least, a notable landmark to keep an eye out for as a "Do not pass beyond this point, even if you see an unlit bonfire" reference.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mRPTrWHHKQ

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Full Metal Jackass posted:

High strength build with the need to swing the largest most ridiculous poo poo. I want to spend my resources wisely:

Smough's Great Hammer

or

Fume UGS

Anyone have any experience or opinion on which one to upgrade?

FUGS is kind of old news. Smough's value is purely in comedy. Yhorm's Great Machete is the way to loving go - that think is RIDICULOUSLY strong and it hits faster with a better moveset than the BKGA - the damage between the two is comparable.

For Smough's you'll get all of your mileage from dressing like a mage with a staff and running away whenever you're invaded, and then BOOM out comes the Bugs Bunny hammer when you're backed in a corner. And yeah...I do that. It's fun, and the longer you can delay the reveal, the better...especially if you're actually casting nonsense like soul dart and you have no points in INT. Death from Above is also good with Smough's. Death from Chameleon is good with Smough's. I can't really recommend it for PVE, though...it is just too big and gets in the way of what you're trying to see.

Other notable ridiculous options are Gargoyle Flame Hammer or Flame Spear - both have very high AR but split damage, Demon's Greataxe, Dragon Tooth is probably better than the Great Club, but everybody's seen thosse a million times; same with the Black Knight weapons. Although there's nothing wrong with any of them, and I don't mean to disrespect the FUGS, because it's still pretty good.

Now, FUGS + hidden weapon...that's respectable and quite ungentlemanly. That may be worth the effort, but you'd have to have 10 INT + Scholar's Ring. If you're starting class was Knight, that's only 1 point into INT, which is worth it in my opinion because of all of the spell options you get at 15 INT, especially Chamelion.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Section Z posted:

I feel like a loving idiot asking this despite wikis (can find a map for farrons, but not a map of ithylylylyl welp).

From the Church of Yorshka Bonfire, which direction leads me to the Pontif, and which direction do I avoid to not trigger "You went into the dungeon, so Sieg and Geriat's questline can go gently caress themselves".

Or at least, a notable landmark to keep an eye out for as a "Do not pass beyond this point, even if you see an unlit bonfire" reference.

It's the next bonfire, called IIRC Distant Manor. Do not go down the stairs when you get there, go back and find a different path.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
About 8 hours of sitting afk while I did other stuff paid off.

Now I never have to blue cop again, which is good because its some of the least fun I had in this game's online.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

You will go under the bridge you took to get into ithyl. At the end of the river/moat whatever bit there are two ways to go, one still in the water that looks like a sewer and one that is a tower on dry land at the end of the river. Go into the sewer first.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Section Z posted:

You don't have to worry about entering the dungeon until you find the Distant Manor bonfire. From there, if you go downstairs, you'll go to the dungeon. It's past a lake that you wade through. Once you hit Distant Manor, go back to the lake and enter a tunnel with the water centipede ladies to head to the Pontiff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eldred posted:

It's the next bonfire, called IIRC Distant Manor. Do not go down the stairs when you get there, go back and find a different path.

Pead posted:

You will go under the bridge you took to get into ithyl. At the end of the river/moat whatever bit there are two ways to go, one still in the water that looks like a sewer and one that is a tower on dry land at the end of the river. Go into the sewer first. hth

Random Hajile posted:

You don't have to worry about entering the dungeon until you find the Distant Manor bonfire. From there, if you go downstairs, you'll go to the dungeon. It's past a lake that you wade through. Once you hit Distant Manor, go back to the lake and enter a tunnel with the water centipede ladies to head to the Pontiff.

And now, to actually remember to send Greirat out in the first place.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I finally did the black eye invasion in this'n. Leonhard's set is cool as all hell and I'm probably not taking it off for a good long time.

Invaded the bit just outside Sully's boss room a whole bunch wearing it and using fancier pokey swords, got me some tongues and even a few forked ones. :getin:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 6, 2016

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Section Z posted:

While we're at it, if you're on track for Sirris's quest line (if you went back to the bridge to Ithiryll and had her summon you), be sure to check behind the Church of Yorshka while embered. Specifically the grave that the Cathrus crow enemy is. And then check the bridge again after beating the NPC that invades you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Section Z posted:

you can get the distant manor bonfire. the problem with going any further past that is the game moves siegward to the dungeon and breaks the quest.