Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why is everyone in this show so loving stupid

Pretty much this.

Also this works as a way better finale than last week even though it isn't. GJ Rip's retards you lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Why is everyone in this show so loving stupid

From what I remember of the comic books, The Atom is socially awkward and often gets himself into trouble.

But when he opened the cell door to fight Savage I really thought that it was setting a trap, and Snart + Chronos were around a corner waiting to blast him and toss him off the ship into open space.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
LEONARD SNART - ROBBER OF ATMS!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If Rip had studied Time Master history instead of League of Assassins history, he'd clearly know that Vandal Savage was a necessary component in the creation of time travel and the founding of the Time Masters. :pseudo:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

If Rip had studied Time Master history instead of League of Assassins history, he'd clearly know that Vandal Savage was a necessary component in the creation of time travel and the founding of the Time Masters. :pseudo:

I was hoping that some of the Time Masters would be his kids. Stack the deck in his favor.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Well...at least Savage was sort of capable and actually a threat in this episode. Sucks that they did pretty much do the now cliche "villain wants to be, or doesn't care about being, captured" bit.

What I was at least sort of hoping for was that they'd get to the Vanishing Point and the reveal would be that a far-future-end-of-time Savage was actually in charge of the Time Masters all along, and no one, not Rip, not even Savage himself, knew it.

But hey, it was worth it for this:

OB_Juan posted:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Longbaugh01 posted:

What I was at least sort of hoping for was that they'd get to the Vanishing Point and the reveal would be that a far-future-end-of-time Savage was actually in charge of the Time Masters all along, and no one, not Rip, not even Savage himself, knew it.

If you shave off Savage's beard, he does look rather like the Master Time Master.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Things I learned this episode:

• Vandal Savage is actually a threat when he's being a manipulative rear end in a top hat
  • Ray is dumb and emotional as heck but he's all man for helping Carter afterwards and letting Kendra go
  • Rip is also dumb as heck
  • Snart continues to make this entire show worth it and
  • Carter is still the goddamn worst.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that Rip Hunter was born and lived in the 22th Century. That's why his family is there and that the Time Masters were formed around then.

If the Time Masters are headquartered at the end of the timeline (which makes sense), how could Rip possibly not know that Vandal Savage rose to power and conquers the world? Why would he raise his family at that time?

It's like choosing to make a life in Hiroshima during world war 2.

The only possible explanation is that Vandal Savage knew all this had to happen so he/timemasters selectively damaged Rip's brain to have this exact outcome.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

On the plus side, Sara learning how to pilot the ship gets us closer to a Time Lesbian spinoff.

That's CAPTAIN Time Lesbian to you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What a shocking betrayal!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, do you think that Savage gives the "we're not so different, you and I" speech to everyone he meets?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

ZRM posted:

That's CAPTAIN Time Lesbian to you.

and her sidekicks Klepto and Pyro. :p

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, do you think that Savage gives the "we're not so different, you and I" speech to everyone he meets?

"...we, uh, both have beards! Yes."

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

OB_Juan posted:

Might be my favorite line of the show.

Of course Savage and the Time Masters are working together.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Slandible posted:

Doesn't Firestorm absorb all this? Why would send in one half of that?

I love this show in spite of all its flaws. But most of these flaws seem to be made up entirely of "why didn't they get firestorm to do this?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

"We're not so different, you and I..."

*sigh* "You want fries with that?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McSpanky posted:

"We're not so different, you and I..."

*sigh* "You want fries with that?"

Ten minutes later he has three values meals for free and also now owns the franchise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
God, this show is like beating your head against a wall. I hate that the writers' first instinct to any plotting conundrum is to make everyone impractically stupid until it goes away.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I don't know. This show is 50% awesome and 50% loving dumb. It rarely straddles the line and instead vacillates wildly from one extreme to the other. Most episodes have both great poo poo and cringe-worthy poo poo all rolled into one. It keeps it entertaining. At this point there's no way the writers aren't making Ray a moron on purpose and it's kinda hilarious.

There's a lot of good stuff in the show. It's just that the other half of every episode is filled with bad writing, annoying or outright bad plots, and the occasional Carter.

Did anyone else start laughing the moment Carter got shanked again, expecting the writers to just straight up kill the character twice in the same season? I'd have forgiven a lot of sins if Carter just gets stabbed to death every few episodes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The instant Carter got his memory back I started yelling "Stabhimagainstabhimagainstabhimagain!!!" and cheered when Savage did.

And was, thus, bitterly disappointed when it was revealed that he survived.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

On the plus side, Sara learning how to pilot the ship gets us closer to a Time Lesbian spinoff.

She became Captain Lance. :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, god drat, we have two more episodes of this crap?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

enraged_camel posted:

I'm going to say "Well it can't get more dumb" and then enjoying watching it get more dumb :getin:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I can see it now: Vandal conquered the world, then realized that the only threat to his rule was someone messing with the timeline, so he founded the Time Masters to enforce no one would do it. Except Rip went back in time to Ancient Egypt and tried to kill Savage, who figured out that time travel is possible, and then four thousand years later conquered the world and founded the Time Masters...

:downs:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I always assumed the Time Masters were evil all along and they're just like, the spiritual successors of the future time Yakuza guys from Looper. I mean poo poo they were trying to kill them as babies. Fully expecting tv violence versions of them getting their past limbs chopped off.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't know why this thread is always so negative. I love this show. It's a lot of dumb fun most of the time. I wasn't going into it expecting the time travel plot to be a super-tight, pathos-driven 12 Monkeys sort of thing, I went into it to see a guy with a cold gun and a cut-rate Iron Man travel through time with Rory and have stupid adventures and big lasery fights. And that's what I got.

I also kinda like Vandal Savage, especially after this last episode. He's so over-the-top supervillain it ends up being fun to watch. When he was taunting everyone from inside his space-jail, he kept up that same, super-smug "I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive" tone for EVERY line. No, he's not realistically powerful enough to threaten the team, but they're a bunch of gently caress-ups, too, and whatever, bad guy gets away to torment the heroes again. You knew it was going to happen going in, otherwise this thing would last 3 episodes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Like I said, it's hard to keep rooting for the heroes when they become impractically stupid whenever the plot dictates. Like...Savage didn't even outsmart Ray into letting him out, he just used the most trite, cliched gambit and Ray just suddenly became literally deficient enough to fall for it.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Phylodox posted:

Like I said, it's hard to keep rooting for the heroes when they become impractically stupid whenever the plot dictates. Like...Savage didn't even outsmart Ray into letting him out, he just used the most trite, cliched gambit and Ray just suddenly became literally deficient enough to fall for it.

Eh, Rays weakness has always been his feelings. Idiot savant and all that.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Stone cold Stein is the best. He should have been like that all along, just walked up behind Kendra as she agonised over killing Savage, took her hand with the dagger in it and bam, dead Vandal.

They could have handwaved it as having to be done with intention, but would have been awesome!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I could forgive this show if every single episode didn't ultimately revolve around awkward and creepy romance scenes.

I mean, our heroes are acting in stupid ways, fine, whatever. But the whole Kendra/Carter/Ray triangle (plus Savage!) is just :barf:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tessiebee posted:

Eh, Rays weakness has always been his feelings. Idiot savant and all that.

Yeah, but there's "character flaw" and there's "bullshit". This show falls [i]wa-a-a-a-ay on the "bullshit" side of that line far too often. Nothing feels earned. Vandal Savage doesn't feel remotely like a mastermind so much as a pre-school teacher overseeing particularly dumb children.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Are...are you guys just not playing Hearthstone or something when they do the Carter flashbacks or whatever? You don't have to pay attention when they do that, you just have to understand that they need to chillax and recuperate, so they're going to the wild wild west to have some cool gun battles with old-timey gunslingers.

e: I mean, did you really think Savage wasn't eventually getting out of that cell? You knew he was gonna goad someone into letting him out from the very start, and you knew it was gonna be for some dumb reason, because there's no reason to let him out of the cell in the first place.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phenotype posted:

e: I mean, did you really think Savage wasn't eventually getting out of that cell? You knew he was gonna goad someone into letting him out from the very start, and you knew it was gonna be for some dumb reason, because there's no reason to let him out of the cell in the first place.

I would agree except that Ray has been established as neither mentally ill or a hormonal 14-year old and yet his response to Savage's school grade insults was to behave like one of the above. The reason that they came up with for Savage getting out was basically no reason at all. Just have him walk out through the loving wall or something, it'd have been just as stupid. The entire villain lock-up gimmick is pre-supposed on the villain already have machinations in play to set themselves free, not the someone just straight up letting them out for no reason. :psyduck:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Phenotype posted:

Are...are you guys just not playing Hearthstone or something when they do the Carter flashbacks or whatever? You don't have to pay attention when they do that, you just have to understand that they need to chillax and recuperate, so they're going to the wild wild west to have some cool gun battles with old-timey gunslingers.

The dumbest part about that scene was there was no point for him to try to escape in the first place. He was gonna be set free regardless. It was all total filler to kill time because this show is written by idiots. He could have kicked ray's rear end and locked himself back up and nothing would have changed.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Phenotype posted:

It sounds like you're defending the show, but 'just skip parts' and 'of course it's predictable' don't really seem like great arguments.

It would have been so easy to write Savage's escape in a way that made sense: Carter makes googly eyes at Kendra, she releases him, he releases Savage. We know that Carter is Kendra's greatest weakness so at least it would have been consistent and plausible. Moreso than what we got anyway.

Edit: Unless the writers actually want Savage to be the most sympathetic character, they are seriously loving this up.

ubachung fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 6, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I mean, it's not a good show. I'm not gonna argue with you there. The writing is often poo poo and isn't consistent from one episode to the next, and all the characters act like idiots sometimes. It's a lot like Doctor Who -- you can't take it very seriously or it falls apart, you just have to go with it or not watch it.

And Ray has consistently been depicted as the most bumbling and socially awkward of the group though, so it's not stretching too far to have Savage get him upset enough about the love quadrangle to go in the cell to fight. He's a comic book character. They do stupid poo poo like that. It's also why Savage is still alive instead of being shot with a flamethrower every time he resurrects himself.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I can't wait until next week, when the Legends of Tomorrow have Savage cornered, only to have him escape by throwing a sheet over himself and chasing them through the Vanishing Point because he's a g-g-g-g-ghost!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

I also kinda like Vandal Savage, especially after this last episode. He's so over-the-top supervillain it ends up being fun to watch.
He's not, though. He's greasy lieutenant, not scenery-chewing evil conqueror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

Why do you keep watching this show if you hate it so much? I mean, not trying to white knight here, but it seems like your life would be a lot happier if you like got a dog and went to a park to play with it instead. :ohdear:

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's not, though. He's greasy lieutenant, not scenery-chewing evil conqueror.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that because watching him clown on the team by having three backup plans and grinning WE'RE A LOT A-LIKE YOU AND IIII is pretty endearing to me

Opinions on the internet :shepface:

• Locked thread