Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Section Z posted:

I feel like a loving idiot asking this despite wikis (can find a map for farrons, but not a map of ithylylylyl welp).

From the Church of Yorshka Bonfire, which direction leads me to the Pontif, and which direction do I avoid to not trigger "You went into the dungeon, so Sieg and Geriat's questline can go gently caress themselves".

Or at least, a notable landmark to keep an eye out for as a "Do not pass beyond this point, even if you see an unlit bonfire" reference.

There's only one path until you get to a big frozen pond. There'll be a building with a bonfire and you can see a ridge leading down from it, away from the city-- that's toward the dungeon. Don't go in there. I don't know where exactly the trigger is.

The way you wanna go is a big arch-shaped drainage tunnel that leads back into the city. There are no more bonfires that way til after the Pontiff, but there are two shortcuts you can unlock back towards Yorshka's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

FUGS is kind of old news. Smough's value is purely in comedy. Yhorm's Great Machete is the way to loving go - that think is RIDICULOUSLY strong and it hits faster with a better moveset than the BKGA - the damage between the two is comparable.

it's certainly faster than the black knight great axe, but yhorm's great machete has about 100 less ar when they're both maxed out, at least off of my 41/38 str/dex. yhorm's has 595 compared to the bkga's 692. it is a bit lighter as well, which gives you a little more wiggle room for fashion than the bkga

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does the weight of a weapon dictate how much stamina it takes to swing it?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Looking to play this finally but I don't currently have a program to allow me to use my PS3 controller. Does anyone have any they recommend that work well? I've used motionjoy in the past but I'm wondering if there's any better options.

Hope this hasn't been discussed to death.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Section Z posted:

I feel like a loving idiot asking this despite wikis (can find a map for farrons, but not a map of ithylylylyl welp).

From the Church of Yorshka Bonfire, which direction leads me to the Pontif, and which direction do I avoid to not trigger "You went into the dungeon, so Sieg and Geriat's questline can go gently caress themselves".

Or at least, a notable landmark to keep an eye out for as a "Do not pass beyond this point, even if you see an unlit bonfire" reference.

I did Ithryllianaria before the Cathedral, I think, and Sieg was not in the kitchen there but he was down the well in Cathedral. I also didn't get Patches in Cathedral (instead, I got him back at Firelink), so you're probably fine all the way to Pontiff. The one you want to watch out for is the Distant Manor bonfire - you can light it and rest at it, but go out the same way you came in. That's not the way forward. Instead, backtrack a little and you'll see a sewer-hole in the wall on your right-hand side...which, by the way, leads to the kitchen where Sieg would be. From there you pretty much can't get lost - but when you get to the Cathedral, do NOT go in until you open the shortcut that is down the staircase opposite to the side you approached the Cathedral, because that shortcut is about 100 feet from the Yorshka bonfire.

I'm pretty sure that you can't screw Sieg up. To be on the safe side, though, you'll probably want to make sure you rescue him from the well before you go to the dungeon below the Distant Manor bonfire, and then rescue him from his cell before fighting Yhorm. Even if he dies in the Yhorm fight (which happened to me) you still end up getting that slab and his armor, so don't freak out when Yhorm two-shots him and then one-shots you while you're trying to figure out wtf is going on.

Greirat is pretty easy: send him scavenging once and he is in no danger. On the second time, you need to make sure that you have either rescued Sieg from the well OR tell patches where he went IF you haven't purchased Sieg's armor for the rescue from the well (or just killed Patches for it - Patches wouldn't stop asking about Greirat and I assumed he was going to kill Greirat. As it turns out he actually saves Greirat if Sieg does not). And then, just do not let Greirat scavenge a third time, for he will surely die. However, you'll be able to find his ashes and buy his stock from the creepy handmaiden.

If you don't mind spoilers, here is a Siegward guide: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Siegward+of+Catarina

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's certainly faster than the black knight great axe, but yhorm's great machete has about 100 less ar when they're both maxed out, at least off of my 41/38 str/dex. yhorm's has 595 compared to the bkga's 692. it is a bit lighter as well, which gives you a little more wiggle room for fashion than the bkga

Ah, well I'm at 40/20, so for a quality build the BKGA is the clear winner. I don't think Yhorm's has any Dex scaling whatsoever.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Flython posted:

Looking to play this finally but I don't currently have a program to allow me to use my PS3 controller. Does anyone have any they recommend that work well? I've used motionjoy in the past but I'm wondering if there's any better options.

Hope this hasn't been discussed to death.

https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Ah, well I'm at 40/20, so for a quality build the BKGA is the clear winner. I don't think Yhorm's has any Dex scaling whatsoever.

yea it has none at all

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know what the best staff/talisman/chimes are for 40/40 Int/Faith?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are there any enemies that drop hidden blessings?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I did Ithryllianaria before the Cathedral, I think

That shouldn't be possible. You need an item from beating the Cathedral boss to get past the bridge into Irithyll.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
I really enjoy playing the DS games, but I've never finished—I tend to get to midgame then tune out. I'd like to trudge though DS3 until I see what all the endgame fuss is about, but I think I've made a build that's too bet-hedgey, and now I'm stuck ganking with standard arrows and then rolling around with the Uchi—a little repetitive, and if I try anything bolder I get whupped. I haven't been able to kill a boss without help yet.

I just made it into the Catacombs and luckily the skelefriends are pretty easy (so far--only made it to the first bonfire). Now seems like a good time to reroll and try something brand new—but what?

I've been playing some bastard version of an INT/DEX build--lots of GSA/GHSA on low/medium tier enemies, the slow agony of arrows whenever it's convenient, and a lot of spammy Fire Uchi +3 poo poo the rest of the time. The spells aren't powerful enough to do anything particularly interesting yet (though I know that changes around SL40?) and the bow seems like it's only useful to draw really far-away enemies. So what should I try instead? I know I won't suddenly turn into a powerhaus (I am slowly gitting gud) and I'm willing to change up my playtype; I just wanna try something fun.

Current stats:
Vig 20
Att 18
End 9
Vit 10
Str 12
Dex 21
Int 28
Faith 6
Luck 14

(I'm at 41 hours in-game, which is probably ~35-37 hours of playtime. That's slow, right? It feels slow.)

someone on reddit suggested dropping all my INT into END and rolling with the Sharp Uchi instead and forgetting about magic for a while, which seems... aight

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Random Hajile posted:

While we're at it, if you're on track for Sirris's quest line (if you went back to the bridge to Ithiryll and had her summon you), be sure to check behind the Church of Yorshka while embered. Specifically the grave that the Cathrus crow enemy is. And then check the bridge again after beating the NPC that invades you.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you can get the distant manor bonfire. the problem with going any further past that is the game moves siegward to the dungeon and breaks the quest.

swamp waste posted:

There's only one path until you get to a big frozen pond. There'll be a building with a bonfire and you can see a ridge leading down from it, away from the city-- that's toward the dungeon. Don't go in there. I don't know where exactly the trigger is.

The way you wanna go is a big arch-shaped drainage tunnel that leads back into the city. There are no more bonfires that way til after the Pontiff, but there are two shortcuts you can unlock back towards Yorshka's.

Yeah, I got that bit of Sirrus and that following invader out of the way. All the wacky bullshit trigger situations I've heard about is why I'm asking.

Such as my just now making it to the next place Sieg is, and then remembering to not talk to them until I find and beat the Pontiff. (Since I did save him from the Well, so can't sent Patches)... Unless talking to him is just fine? See previous confusion on the matter.

It's all the hazyness around "Go here with X circumstances to trigger Y, but don't to there or Z happens... what, a map? gently caress you just don't go the wrong direction"

At least from my general 'overheard from internet osmosis', this seems to be the most twisted point of any NPC quest (plus 1.06 "fixing" it still not being up for PC, I guess?).

I've been playing "80% blind", not trying to look up anything that isn't a weapon/spell statistic until I've already gone through an area well enough by myself already. But yeah gently caress trying to do this particular leg of NPC quests blind.

Thanks everybody, for all the clarifications.

EDIT: PS, Estus Soup. One more little gently caress you to casters if you thought it would refill any Ashen. I'm no Caster, but I am sporting a 7/4 split with my love of out of combat heals, utilities, and basic fire orbs (look I'm not made of spell slots, I'm already using a spell slot ring).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 6, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Kicking ruined my immersion

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Section Z posted:

Yeah, I got that bit of Sirrus and that following invader out of the way. All the wacky bullshit trigger situations I've heard about is why I'm asking.

Such as my just now making it to the next place Sieg is, and then remembering to not talk to them until I find and beat the Pontiff. (Since I did save him from the Well, so can't sent Patches)... Unless talking to him is just fine? See previous confusion on the matter.

It's all the hazyness around "Go here with X circumstances to trigger Y, but don't to there or Z happens... what, a map? gently caress you just don't go the wrong direction"

At least from my general 'overheard from internet osmosis', this seems to be the most twisted point of any NPC quest (plus 1.06 "fixing" it still not being up for PC, I guess?).

I've been playing "80% blind", not trying to look up anything that isn't a weapon/spell statistic until I've already gone through an area well enough by myself already. But yeah gently caress trying to do this particular leg of NPC quests blind.

Thanks everybody, for all the clarifications.

You can talk to Sieg in the kitchen to save Greirat. Actually I think you're supposed to? Anyway when I did it I talked to him and he stuck around as I zoned in multiple times- the trigger for him moving is getting to the Dungeon Bonfire, which is by going through the Distant Manor.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Section Z posted:

Talking to him there is fine. He doesn't move on until you head to the dungeon, and as long as he's there, he can save Greirat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thanks everybody, I feel like such a loving idiot even needing to ask about this :downs:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Section Z posted:

Thanks everybody, I feel like such a loving idiot even needing to ask about this :downs:

Nah some of them are really dumb. Sieg moving onto the dungeons with no warning if you happen to choose to explore that way is just bad.

Or Anri's- I'm not 100% how it works, but if you explore the keep/catacombs before the cathedral, you wouldn't think to look through it again for Anri, right? I'm not sure if they'll skip right to Yorshka, though. And don't even get me started on how Yuria's questline interacts with Anri's...

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Random Hajile posted:

Talking to him there is fine. He doesn't move on until you head to the dungeon, and as long as he's there, he can save Greirat.

Greirat's questline is the worst. Also, for some reason, I assisted Sirris in killing Creighton as a phantom, but then he never showed up as an invader in my world at all, despite being embered where he's supposed to be...

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

And don't even get me started on how Yuria's questline interacts with Anri's...
Yeah, trying to get that one working without using a guide is like getting stabbed in the face.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Skull Knight posted:

Greirat's questline is the worst. Also, for some reason, I assisted Sirris in killing Creighton as a phantom, but then he never showed up as an invader in my world at all, despite being embered where he's supposed to be...

Had you already killed the Pontiff? NPC invaders work like human ones do, the area boss has to be alive.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Please stop spawning me here game

Evangelists are loving lovely.

Tell me a bastard sword build. Like what the DS 3 crestfallen warrior would use.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 6, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

:siren: Red signs that you lay while in the Sun covenant appear as gold signs :siren:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually got Siegward's quest to work on one of my characters.

He totally dies at the end. I walked out of the bonfire room instead of warping away, and as I walked out I suddenly got some souls. I looked behind and saw his body fading away, leaving his items :smith:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alabaster White posted:

:siren: Red signs that you lay while in the Sun covenant appear as gold signs :siren:

Uh, yes? This isn't news.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually got Siegward's quest to work on one of my characters.

He totally dies at the end. I walked out of the bonfire room instead of warping away, and as I walked out I suddenly got some souls. I looked behind and saw his body fading away, leaving his items :smith:

Well what happened?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Notorious QIG posted:

Uh, yes? This isn't news.

Yeah well I just discovered it on my own without having heard about it beforehand so I feel proud :colbert:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm watching this speedrun and an Anri's luck build with Carthus Rouge looks really fun. I should try it on one of these runs...

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

well then, this is just amazing, I had no idea.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah well I just discovered it on my own without having heard about it beforehand so I feel proud :colbert:

I was fightclubbing at the undead settlement and it's surprisingly common for people to summon you accidentally, like they thought you were the helpful kind of sunbro.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Domattee posted:

I was fightclubbing at the undead settlement and it's surprisingly common for people to summon you accidentally, like they thought you were the helpful kind of sunbro.

It's not like there is any way to tell a difference when you summon a gold summon sign, you jerk :mad:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Works great. Thank you very much.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I just killed like 5 people in a row and while it was kinda funny to trick people into summoning a red at first it kinda got old super fast because it was just way too easy to kill the host alone and all you get is a Sunlight Medal, which are gross.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Domattee posted:

Yeah, that's exactly the point. I like to mix it into piles of other signs and watch as people summon me by accident. It's way faster to get medals than if you had laid a real gold sign and tried to get their useless asses through the zone and boss fight. I mean, you can always just invade as a gold phantom with the Red Eye but this is way more fun and sometimes they don't even realize you're hostile until it's too late :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh thank loving god I got all the shortcuts before the boss fog. No estus of any kind left, missed my R2 Stance art stab by a pixel on a pontif knight, but I loving made it. Now to deal with some real life stuff before taking on the boss-

Mazerunner posted:

Had you already killed the Pontiff? NPC invaders work like human ones do, the area boss has to be alive.

Oh, right. Good timing to read this even if I doubt I'll be using that thing's items on this guy.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

It's not like there is any way to tell a difference when you summon a gold summon sign, you jerk :mad:

You can see the actual color of the phantom if you don't summon immediately. Teaches them to just mash A :smugdog:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

They're red with a gold tint. The difference is obvious if you're looking for it, but if you're just spamming summon signs it might catch you.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The actual sign looks more orange than gold too, but they're fleeing in total panic from the prospect of fighting another player so they don't have time to pay attention to that or read that they're summoning a dark spirit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Section Z posted:

Oh thank loving god I got all the shortcuts before the boss fog. No estus of any kind left, missed my R2 Stance art stab by a pixel on a pontif knight, but I loving made it. Now to deal with some real life stuff before taking on the boss-

Oh, right. Good timing to read this even if I doubt I'll be using that thing's items on this guy.

make sure you send greirat before you kill the boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

God Tier: Blue, Red/Gold
Top Tier: Red, Blue/Red
Mid Tier: Darkmoon Blue, Gold
Low Tier: Purple
poo poo Tier: White, DS2 Grey Phantoms