Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Democracy these days is mostly about treating fundamental issues as though they are PR problems. Public opinion is an obstacle to be overcome or manipulated rather than something that has any merit or legitimacy in it's own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC2iPvXAggM

Watching videos like this it's absolutely incredible that no one directly died from this fire. Check out his first two videos for a brave guy on a motorcycle.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Helsing posted:

Democracy these days is mostly about treating fundamental issues as though they are PR problems. Public opinion is an obstacle to be overcome or manipulated rather than something that has any merit or legitimacy in it's own right.

Being able to package and sell everything as a commodity is one of the primary functions of neoliberalism, and this fire will be no different.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

This just got shared a bunch on my Facebook. A lot of people getting angry at all those lazy leftists who don't take the time to get their proper TDG and first aid training! :jerkbag:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

0:54 :stare:

1:25 :catstare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is what I imagined climate change to look like.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

:supaburn:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

This just got shared a bunch on my Facebook. A lot of people getting angry at all those lazy leftists who don't take the time to get their proper TDG and first aid training! :jerkbag:

This one below is making its rounds

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.seamons/posts/10153560813672060?pnref=story

After watching Ms Notley's press release I can't say anything other than I am appalled. Nice to thank the fire fighters, it's nice she acknowledged the families but for the love of God girl there are 100, 000 people sleeping at the sides of the highway.

Any disaster plans ???? Water ???? Security ??? Transit ? Blankets ? Maybe food ?

Ms Notley you plan on coming to Fort Mac tomorrow do you ?? If circumstances permit it you say ? Maybe after a good night sleep ????

News flash: there are OIL workers driving up and down the highway taking water and fuel and anything else they can get to the people stranded.

News flash: there are OIL workers going up and down the highway helping make shelters for those displaced.

News Flash: the bad bad EVIL, oils companies have opened their camp doors and are sheltering, feeding, aiding the citizens of Alberta

Ms Notley, please, you just take your time and come on up when you feel like it and you are drat good and ready, you self absorbed Bitch.

Can't even show up to hand out water bottles.

Disgusted

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Helsing posted:

Framed that way, yeah, it sounds pretty lovely. On the other hand, I'm rather sympathetic to the idea that a political party should stake out its core values* and then set about convincing the public to give those core values a chance, rather than just chasing after the public opinion to boost their support from this or that demographic.

* This is not to say that the Liberal party has any core values. I'm just speaking hypothetically, obviously.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jm20 posted:

The Fort Mac persecution complex is something else. People actually died in the Calgary floods and I don't remember Redford doing anything more than Notley has. Helicopter tour, arranging emergency aid, etc.

She definitely wasn't in the groups of volunteers mucking out basements because she didn't need to be there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dreylad posted:

This is probably going to go on for a while: superannuated Harper cabinet ministers taking out their frustrations in QP, or in the pages of the National Post. Joe Oliver used Postmedia's tottering flagship paper recently to issue a dire warning to Justin Trudeau: Stop reversing our government's policies, or face the wrath of a noble nation aroused. To which Michael Harris replies: You and what army, Joe? Can the Conservatives turn the page on 2015 and rebuild in time for the next election if they can't stop themselves from picking at old scabs? Not likely.

Hahahahaha

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Fort Mac persecution complex is something else. People actually died in the Calgary floods and I don't remember Redford doing anything more than Notley has. Helicopter tour, arranging emergency aid, etc.

She definitely wasn't in the groups of volunteers mucking out basements because she didn't need to be there.

I imagine they are trying to tempt her into actually doing something as unimaginably loving retarded as disregarding her actual responsibilities to hand out water bottles in person, so they can then criticize her for something legitimate. That must be it, because I refuse to believe that anyone could be so stupid as to think Notley's energy and time is best spent loving around distributing relief supplies.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

El Scotch posted:

Hahahahaha

The actual article is a proclick.

quote:

If you ever have to give Joe Oliver a lift in the family car, I’d recommend using the backward-facing baby seat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I imagine they are trying to tempt her into actually doing something as unimaginably loving retarded as disregarding her actual responsibilities to hand out water bottles in person, so they can then criticize her for something legitimate. That must be it, because I refuse to believe that anyone could be so stupid as to think Notley's energy and time is best spent loving around distributing relief supplies.

I don't think it's a reasonable idea to read "long-term devious PR plan" into a guy who posts like that with his name attached.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So my company is matching my $200, so its going to end up $800 or at most $1200 if AB and CAN end up double matching. Either way that's a pretty good return :3:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Well timed. Just when I was feeling chastened about my attitude toward Albertan caricatures and the horrible people they send to parliament you had to go and post an Albertan caricature like this. Now I'll need to watch a few more of those dash cam videos before I'm ready to cancel my NDP donation and send the money to the Red Cross where it will do some good. :mad:

I've spent a fair amount of time keeping the academic version of rig pigs (students in field camps) alive and healthy. There's no doubt in my mind that this idiot wouldn't wear either a seatbelt or hard hat if it weren't for the inconvenience of being fined or fired. He's probably normally one of the hard eye rollers when "another God damned health and safety course" is announced. Don't need those if you are smart and have common sense.

There were people flicking cigarette butts out their car windows in the evacuation lineup ffs. It sounds like a lot of people did the right thing at the right time but it also sounds like a lot of luck was involved in keeping the death toll down to 2. Hubris once again rears its ugly head.

gently caress it. Burn it down and gently caress in the (toxic) ashes.

Kudos to PM Selfie for declining a photo op with a smoking, charred remains backdrop. Sounds like he's clued in and/or getting and taking good advice. Last thing a disaster area needs are visiting dignitaries. Still though, I keep having this image of him, posed like the McKay F35 cartoon, shirtless, a massive double double in one hand and his Putin-esque tallywhacker in the other, pissing on the fire.

Somewhere on the Internet...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

A community populated entirely by oil workers is seeing the results of ordinary kindness done by people who all happen to be oil workers. Well stop the fuckin presses.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

A community populated entirely by oil workers is seeing the results of ordinary kindness done by people who all happen to be oil workers. Well stop the fuckin presses.

There is something kind of unsettling about how quickly this idea of rugged-manly-individualists versus weak-wimpy-liberals has started to spread. There is a hell of a lot more identity politics playing out online these days it seems, at least compared to the tone of things between 2005-2010.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sitchensis posted:

rugged-manly-individualists versus weak-wimpy-liberals

Dunno why but I thought of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJdQfjaRAG0&t=4s except between mister hat up there and some pinko easterner caricature.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

sitchensis posted:

There is a hell of a lot more online these days it seems, at least compared to things between 2005-2010.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The internet was really cool before everyone figured out how cool it was

Maybe, too cool for its own good

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

The internet was really cool before everyone figured out how cool it was

Maybe, too cool for its own good

I'm old enough to remember the Internet back when only nerds bothered with it. Then Napster happened and everyone was clambering for free music.

Napster ruined the Internet.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

sitchensis posted:

There is something kind of unsettling about how quickly this idea of rugged-manly-individualists versus weak-wimpy-liberals has started to spread. There is a hell of a lot more identity politics playing out online these days it seems, at least compared to the tone of things between 2005-2010.

nm Im reading the dark enlightenment thread and that basically explains it all lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

jm20 posted:

Yes, the Premier's time is best spent touring burnt down structures and taking photos with perople who are displaced. Notley is just damned if you do and damned if you don't in Alberta.

sitchensis posted:

A lot of it is tied up in the PC culture debate, Liberals are automatically placed in the thin-skined everything offends me side and Conversatives are thick-skinned nothing gets to me lumberjacks, but for the most part the whole PC vs. non PC thing is being fought between whiny nerds on message boards.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

I'm old enough to remember the Internet back when only nerds bothered with it. Then Napster happened and everyone was clambering for free music.

No, it was AOL causing Permanent September.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

DariusLikewise posted:

but for the most part the whole PC vs. non PC thing is being fought between whiny nerds on message boards.

Truly, the front lines of the culture war.

Isn't /pol/ basically 99% literal nazis now?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Subjunctive posted:

No, it was AOL causing Permanent September.

Yep. There's millions of them, and they're untrainable.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Honestly as lovely as AOLers were, including IRC networks, websites and some MUDs and other games outright banning the entirety of AOL, they paled in comparison to the 'OMG music 4 free!' rush that happened in the last few years of the 20th century.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Annual reminder that the Harper government, which lied about everything, did manage to make one totally accurate prediction:

quote:

Ignatieff taking job as president of Budapest’s Central European University

SIMONA CHIOSE - EDUCATION REPORTER

The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, May 05, 2016 7:46PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, May 05, 2016 7:50PM EDT

Michael Ignatieff is leaving North America. The former prime ministerial hopeful, who led the Liberal Party to the worst results in its history in the 2011 election, will become president of Central European University in Budapest on Aug. 1.

The university, which is for graduate students, is globally renowned for its programs and seminars on politics and government. It was founded 25 years ago by businessman and philanthropist George Soros through an endowment recently estimated at almost $900-million.

Hungary is familiar ground to Mr. Ignatieff, 68, who cemented his reputation as a journalist and global thinker with Blood and Belonging, his BBC series and 1993 book looking at resurgent nationalist movements around the world, including in Eastern Europe. His wife, Zsuzsanna Zsohar, was also born in Hungary.

But the new job also marks his departure from this continent, a place that rarely proved as hospitable to his intellectual ambition and ambivalence as Europe.

After spending most of his adult life in Britain, with a later sojourn at Harvard, Mr. Ignatieff’s rise to party leader in 2008 raised eyebrows. Was Canada ready for a prime minister who, according to a profile in this newspaper, had a family vacation house in Provence rather than Haliburton?

As it turned out, the skeptics had reason for doubt. Conservative ads reminded voters that “he didn’t come back for you,” and Mr. Ignatieff did not have enough charisma to overcome that perception.

He resigned as party leader on May 3, 2011, after a historical rout that cut the Liberals to 34 seats and swept away his own seat.

For a while, he taught at The University of Toronto and Harvard, where he earned his PhD in history in the 1970s. In 2014, he took a full-time academic appointment at the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

The author of 14 books, Mr. Ignatieff takes up the job of president and rector at CEU as the school is expanding its campus in the Hungarian capital.

His new post was announced by Mr. Soros himself. “Dr. Ignatieff is a scholar and policy practitioner and as such is ideally suited to lead CEU in these challenging times,” he said.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i almost forgot that pile of poo poo still existed

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

McGavin posted:

The actual article is a proclick.

Well worth reading. Very funny, but you might need a hazmat suit to deal with the acid levels.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

Honestly as lovely as AOLers were, including IRC networks, websites and some MUDs and other games outright banning the entirety of AOL, they paled in comparison to the 'OMG music 4 free!' rush that happened in the last few years of the 20th century.

And many of them had hi-speed right away as a result. They know not the agony and suffering of waiting minutes for a single page to finish loading. It built character.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Annual reminder that the Harper government, which lied about everything, did manage to make one totally accurate prediction:

Are all the whiny retards in this thread still going to blame me for not voting for him? Of course!

Edit: Posting from prepaid 4G data in Spain. Same amount I get from Bell back home for half the price. loving thieving lovely Canadian telecom companies. And don't even get me started on the cromulent price and availability of both transit and cigarettes!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

sitchensis posted:

That idea has been around for a lot longer than the last few years, at least back to the 60s and probably further back, but as a leftist myself, I can definitely see why it exists. Most of the frail urban weenies are going to end up as liberals simply because it's accepting and open-minded and (ostensibly) non-judging, and most people I've met who know their way around in rural areas / blue collar jobs are going to be the "well, don't complain, just get it done or get over it" types.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's because rural areas are filled with ignorant hicks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What's wrong with a "quit whining and get poo poo done" attitude? I don't think that's a matter of political correctness, either. Political correctness has some value, being a whiny little bitch never has any value.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

flashman posted:

It's because rural areas are filled with ignorant hicks

I am counting down the seconds until the inevitable histrionics of "this is why the left loses elections!!!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sitchensis posted:

I am counting down the seconds until the inevitable histrionics of "this is why the left loses elections!!!"

The left loses elections because they are the whiny ineffectual little bitches previously mentioned. They could still follow their principles and not act like a bunch of infighting ninnies who never actually do anything (except of course when they decide to break other people's property for no reason).

Edit: For example, consider these "bathroom laws". If more progressives handled these knuckle dragging morons like Zoey Tur handled Ben Shapiro, the world would be a better place, and trans people could piss wherever they prefer.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

Are all the whiny retards in this thread still going to blame me for not voting for him? Of course!

Edit: Posting from prepaid 4G data in Spain. Same amount I get from Bell back home for half the price. loving thieving lovely Canadian telecom companies. And don't even get me started on the cromulent price and availability of both transit and cigarettes!

People don't "blame" you for voting Harper, they just treat is as a big flashing warning sign about how stupid your political opinions are.