Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

According to the notes I have, the boat is available in the town of Gale. I remember having it, and being told that you 'Can't row out to sea" when you try to go too far in the wrong direction. It's supposed to allow you access to the island that contains Execa through the Tower of Zkal as part of a quest for an optional end-game item.

Er, hrm. I know of a boat there, but IIRC it's just the equivalent of a ferry -- you step onto an encounter and are teleported to a different location. It doesn't give you free exploration...that I recall.

Well, I guess we'll find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

berryjon posted:

According to the notes I have, the boat is available in the town of Gale. I remember having it, and being told that you 'Can't row out to sea" when you try to go too far in the wrong direction. It's supposed to allow you access to the island that contains Execa through the Tower of Zkal as part of a quest for an optional end-game item.

Oh. Oh. It's not a real boat. It acts the same as the ferry you just took to get to Port Townsend. I haven't seen the ability to actually row it like boats previously in the series.

EDIT: TooMuchAbstraction beat me to it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Yeah, I just took my first cheat file (Art by herself) and checked.

Apparently I hadn't done the Slime Quest yet, so she destroyed that after grinding Mage 3, went to Gale and checked - yeah, it's a ferry.
I must have been confused with boats in Blades.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Island of Big Ales sounds like a nice place for a holiday.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Recorded the next update today. Art gets asked this:

Anama Priest posted:

"Nobody denies that the work of mages can do good. However the plagues that afflict us show that a deranged mind can create an equal amount of evil. Do you agree?" (Forced Yes/No Answer)

While I already have a several good counter point(s) to offer, I would like to hear from the rest of you about this to see if I missed anything. This will come up a couple more times as Art and co. travel over the Isle, but that's about the same quality of questioning from the Anama.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Main points would be mages created the mushrooms that provide light and food for exile. And there are probably more good mages than evil ones to weigh the scales.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Oh great, those questions. What really makes those frustrating is that they're so easy to counterpoint, yet the way they're phrased and the fact that you're forced into a black-or-white yes or no answer, and I recall only one those being phrased in such a way that I could answer in a way other than "Yes, but..."

And then they go, "Yes? You agree! Good day!" Because of limited programming/dickishness. gently caress the Anama.

In any case, the best response I could come up for this one is that it's not the magic that's good or evil, it's the user. And I'm pretty sure you already have that one.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The only magic that is good is the magic of love.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes, let's give up magic! And then we can all die of easily-preventable diseases! Won't that be fun.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Uh, excuse me, Cure Disease is a holy spell, not magic, you philistine. :v:

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
The philosophy is irrelevant. In game, you answer "yes" regardless to keep open the possibility of joining the Anama. Since I don't believe there is any equal incentive to say "no", doing so limits you arbitrarily and is thus a bad option. (Though I think you can say no a few times as long as you answer "yes" to most?)

I don't officially know if there are ways to actually join the Anima if you fail their tests too many times, but you will still be able to get fake Anima rings later. Fake rings, as far as I know, allow you to act as Anima for all events except venturing up to the second floor of the church, which leads to the discovery of your forgery and the disintegration of your fakes. No free priest spells and no opportunity to loot the vault unless you join the club properly...

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The real problem is that the questions are often pretty lame. "Magic can do good but it can also do evil. Do you agree?" Um yeah, no poo poo - there's no way to honestly say No here. Of course, the same could be said for physical weapons, Priest spells, poisons, and basically anything else humans have ever made.

Random_Username posted:

"
I don't officially know if there are ways to actually join the Anima if you fail their tests too many times, but you will still be able to get fake Anima rings later. Fake rings, as far as I know, allow you to act as Anima for all events except venturing up to the second floor of the church, which leads to the discovery of your forgery and the disintegration of your fakes. No free priest spells and no opportunity to loot the vault unless you join the club properly...
Actually, you still can go to the upper floors and loot it (of course they get mad though - you're robbing them!). The only thing that fakes prevent you from doing is reading the books because magic books apparently know the difference.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Beyond the fact that good and evil are subjective, the biggest problem with magic is that you can't get rid of it: magic is a part of the world, and denying it is like trying to deny physics because someone can destroy a town with a trebuchet. Even burning all the scrolls and magic tomes won't work, because there's no way to prevent demons from simply re-introducing magic in the form of a cult, which simply ensures that all non-basic magic becomes evil...assuming the gods don't re-introduce magic themselves as well. Worse, no magic means less protection from monsters with magical abilities, and no enchanted weapons to level the playing field against particularly powerful ones.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
The answer is to punch evil mages in the face, be kind to good ones, and scream insults at those on the fence.

At least that's Art's answer...

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'd say pick the in-game answer that doesn't block you from more content, but ignore it when it comes to writing the narrative of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The reductive response they're looking for is that yes, of course magic is capable of great evil. Linda and Garzahd, for example. Hell, you can learn to cast Summon Demon in this game, and it's not a holy spell.

The other side to that coin is that holy magic is also capable of evil. The world abounds with undead and demons that mostly sling around perverted variants of priestly spells. With the notable exception of liches, most undead don't cast much in the way of mage spells that I can recall.

Power is power, and it's up to humanity to make certain that it is used correctly. No form of power is safe, and when you concentrate large amounts of power into one person you tend to get problems (c.f. Garzahd, who ironically stands as an example of why the Empire needs to do a better job of controlling its mages...).

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
All true. And even then, one person can always be assassinated. The most dangerous thing is when "too many men in the same armor think they're right."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Another thing to consider before I start working on the update - these questions are aimed at the lowest common denominator of population. Art isn't one of those.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Something to think about in Art's answer is "What do you mean by 'equal'? "

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Berryjob has probably thought of all these, so let's throw together some maxim based moral philosophy, courtesy of Kant: "I will A in C in order to realize or produce E", where ‘A’ is some act type, ‘C’ is some type of circumstance, and ‘E’ is some type of end to be realized or achieved by A in C.

1. "A maxim capturing your reason for an action":
"I will use magic (A) if I believe it necessary (C) to better or protect people's lives (E)."

2. "frame it as a universal principle for all rational agents":
"Magic should only be used when it can better or protect people's lives."

3. "whether a world based on this universal principle is conceivable":
"Magic exists, and people use it to better and protect lives (proof: our adventurer group)."

4. "whether [one] would will the maxim to be a principle in this world":
"If people used magic ONLY to better and protect people's lives, then I would be content."

As 3 and 4 are both true, the use of magic can be perfectly moral, as there are no situations where I myself would not want magic to be used to better or protect people's lives. Not that there aren't problems: if I were a farmer, I would be frustrated if a mage started giving out free food to people who would otherwise have paid me, but I still wouldn't say I have a moral right to be paid merely because I want to be.

Ok, so this should prove that magic can be perfectly moral/beneficial. But what if we do the reverse, like the magic hater proposed?

1. "Magic is too dangerous to use (A) in all circumstances (C) as the dangers it can create cancel out the good it can create. (E)"
2. "Magic should never be used in any circumstance."
3. "One must never use magic in all circumstances, even though it can be encountered entirely by accident (condition failed: people can, and do, use magic entirely by accident, like when they drink from a magic lake, or fix a cave full of crystals.)
4. "If people did not use magic when it could have saved my life, I would probably prefer people to use magic for my sake." (condition failed, as I would want magic to be used to save my life.)

As such, there is a perfect duty (we should not act by maxims that result in logical contradictions when we attempt to universalize them) to allow people to use magic, as it can be used accidentally. There is also an imperfect duty: if magic could be used to save me, I would prefer to be saved, and so the possibility of magic's misuse simply doesn't justify overlooking the immediate good, even if I'm actually a murderous thug that the world would be better off without. As such, the proposition that all magic use should be considered immoral is a nonsensical mess of an argument, as it is outright impossible for everyone to follow and still remain moral, despite their best efforts, and people would also want exceptions regardless.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Not that I disagree with your post, but I believe "magic" in this case is specifically meant to be "things caused or created by a mage practicing arcane magics". Notably, priest spells (even though both mage and priest spells are called "spells" and "rituals" in game dialog) and alchemy are specifically exempted -- even though you can kill with priest spells and create deadly poisons with alchemy! Hell, priest and mage spells even use the same energy source (SP).

The practical problem with mages appears to be that they're the people who are most likely to try to push boundaries (you don't see crazy priests living in towers surrounded by traps, for example), and magic has several well-known rituals of significant destructive potential (Quickfire, for example, but also the creation/destruction of magic barriers, summoning of demons, and of course our old favorite Shockwave). This makes it scarier in the "assault weapon" sense, even if the underlying principles and thus scope of potential capabilities might not be all that different from priestly spells.

Alchemy of course isn't scary simply because it doesn't scale. You need fairly massive infrastructure to perpetrate alchemy on a large enough scale for it to be a meaningful existential threat. Arming soldiers with Invulnerability, Haste, and Bless potions, coating their weapons in Killer Poison, etc. -- that's a lot of input ingredients for a single soldier!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not that I disagree with your post, but I believe "magic" in this case is specifically meant to be "things caused or created by a mage practicing arcane magics". Notably, priest spells (even though both mage and priest spells are called "spells" and "rituals" in game dialog) and alchemy are specifically exempted -- even though you can kill with priest spells and create deadly poisons with alchemy! Hell, priest and mage spells even use the same energy source (SP).
Yes. I can't remember if it's in this game or one of the remakes, but there's actually one Anama who specifically clarifies that Arcane Magic is their concern.

Part of the justification is simply the overall focus of the magic. Arcane magic as defined in Exile is all about killing and destruction - direct damage spells like Fireball, summoning Demons and monsters, Quickfire and so on. While there are certain Priest spells with similar capabilities, they're greatly outnumbered by the more benign magics like healing and protective magics.

Or, to put it another way: Priest spells can be used in many ways and for many purposes. Arcane spells can be used for only one thing - leaving a trail of bloody corpses.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

There's enough discussion going on here that I think I'm going to have to put together a bonus update which will be a compilation of all your comments about the Anama, rather than inserting them into the updates proper. Art's still going to say her piece, but all of you will get yours later.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I remember a weird stone in the Giant cave where you rescued the dryad earlier that weighs a ton. Does that ring a bell for anyone else? What is it for?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Leaving mechanics aside, it seems like Arcane magic kind of is on a higher potential level of destructiveness lorewise. We have all these ridiculously powerful mages like Erika, Garzahd and Rentar-Ihrno, but we don't really see any priests of the same caliber.

In that way the Anama are kinda sensible, since if one priest starts doing bad poo poo the damage can be significant but still contained, whereas back in Exile 2, Garzahd was running around with a goddamn legion of demons at his back and Rentar-Ihrno was busy preparing spells to wipe out all humans in Exile. So while most mages probably don't go bad, it only takes one crazy superwizard to really poo poo things up.

Besides that, this is a really nice LP. I played the poo poo out of the Exile series back in the day, and it's nice to see someone giving these games the treatment they deserve.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember a weird stone in the Giant cave where you rescued the dryad earlier that weighs a ton. Does that ring a bell for anyone else? What is it for?

Yes, it exists. I don't know the purpose though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

Yes, it exists. I don't know the purpose though.

Another item on the "Things Missed" pile.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Leaving mechanics aside, it seems like Arcane magic kind of is on a higher potential level of destructiveness lorewise. We have all these ridiculously powerful mages like Erika, Garzahd and Rentar-Ihrno, but we don't really see any priests of the same caliber.

In that way the Anama are kinda sensible, since if one priest starts doing bad poo poo the damage can be significant but still contained, whereas back in Exile 2, Garzahd was running around with a goddamn legion of demons at his back and Rentar-Ihrno was busy preparing spells to wipe out all humans in Exile. So while most mages probably don't go bad, it only takes one crazy superwizard to really poo poo things up.

Besides that, this is a really nice LP. I played the poo poo out of the Exile series back in the day, and it's nice to see someone giving these games the treatment they deserve.

Erika is also the one who created Exile's staple food (and possibly Exiles books/scrolls, although I forget), and Garzahd created the only long range, permanent, large scale teleporter, on top of being the right hand man of the emperor, going so far as to take over after his death: these are people would have had massive influence even without the ability to throw fireballs.

Priests, by contrast, are generally obliged not to seek things like massive fortunes, or significant political power...except, of course, for Liches, who are priests every bit as dangerous as the famed wizards.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

For what it's worth in the second remake a priest at the tower speaks of trying to contact good entities that are worth worshiping instead of abstract concepts and persons like "Luck", "Money", "Whoever would watch over us all" and all they manage to do is summon an entity, sigh while noting it is yet another demon, murder it back to whence it came, repeat. "But I feel it is a worthwhile idea, maybe some day we'll be lucky."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Exile 3 has a cursed stone called a Load Stone whose only purpose is to overburden your characters. I'm pretty sure that's what you found.

thetruegentleman posted:

Priests, by contrast, are generally obliged not to seek things like massive fortunes, or significant political power...except, of course, for Liches, who are priests every bit as dangerous as the famed wizards.

There are followers of the Prosperity Gospel in the Exile 'verse, and they're pretty damned good at it too. Also, I'm pretty sure liches are mages who have preserved their existence beyond death.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

For what it's worth in the second remake a priest at the tower speaks of trying to contact good entities that are worth worshiping instead of abstract concepts and persons like "Luck", "Money", "Whoever would watch over us all

Except there are 'Angelic' beings in the game, both of them in the same relative location near Grah-Hoth's / Garzahd's Fortress in Exile. I missed it in E1, but made sure to encounter it in E2.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Exile 3 has a cursed stone called a Load Stone whose only purpose is to overburden your characters. I'm pretty sure that's what you found.

There's also the Airy Stone, which when held is supposed to lower the weight in your pack. Keyword being "supposed" to. For some reason, there's a glitch in the Windows version that makes it weigh positive 246 lbs instead of a negative. This was apparently corrected in the Mac version.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

berryjon posted:

Except there are 'Angelic' beings in the game, both of them in the same relative location near Grah-Hoth's / Garzahd's Fortress in Exile. I missed it in E1, but made sure to encounter it in E2.

Yeah, I think they are in the re-remake as well.

I guess the tower guys just are really unlucky with their summoning.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

thetruegentleman posted:

Erika is also the one who created Exile's staple food (and possibly Exiles books/scrolls, although I forget), and Garzahd created the only long range, permanent, large scale teleporter, on top of being the right hand man of the emperor, going so far as to take over after his death: these are people would have had massive influence even without the ability to throw fireballs.

Sure, but on the first count that's using arcane magic to mitigate suffering that wouldn't have existed without arcane magic, and on the second count, the Empire's teleporter was first used to create a horrible penal colony for undesirables and then to conduct a campaign of genocide. None of this really disproves the Anama's point about the use of arcane magic being a Bad Thing overall, rather the opposite.

thetruegentleman posted:

I also thought that liches are more on the wizard side of the spectrum.

SIGSEGV posted:

For what it's worth in the second remake a priest at the tower speaks of trying to contact good entities that are worth worshiping instead of abstract concepts and persons like "Luck", "Money", "Whoever would watch over us all" and all they manage to do is summon an entity, sigh while noting it is yet another demon, murder it back to whence it came, repeat. "But I feel it is a worthwhile idea, maybe some day we'll be lucky."

Well, sure. That could backfire, but on the wizard side you have poo poo like Rentar-Ihrno deliberately whipping up magic designed to wipe out all of Exile. There's a bit of a difference in potential danger there.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I guess it would be perfectly possible to gently caress up a place with priestly magic, set up an automatic shade summoning system, cursed altars spreading death and disease and so on. We just mostly see it in defensive systems, same as we saw Arcane magic in the previous games. Whoever is doing the plagues is just very, very powerful and I'm not entirely sure that they aren't also a powerful priest as well.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Anama Priest posted:

"Nobody denies that the work of mages can do good. However the plagues that afflict us show that a deranged mind can create an equal amount of evil. Do you agree?" (Forced Yes/No Answer)
:catholic: "Three pounds of flax!"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 014 – Port Townsend, Contemplation Point and the Southpoint Lighthouse

“That's a weird smell. Like something's burning.”

“Yes, I get it too. Perhaps it's nothing unusual. I mean, none of the locals are reacting.”

“Off the dock!”

“Sorry!”

“Smells like garbage being burned.”

“You know what that smells like? Usually we turn that into compost.”

“Hey there.”

A large ogre stands by the dock, holding a roll of tickets. You think it's a female. A small cloud of flies buzzes around her. She speaks, showing huge fangs. "I called Martha. You better not laugh."

“Why would I laugh? Are you just here to make sure people get off the boat safely?”

“Don't remind me! I'm still wobbly!”

"I sell tickets. I sailor, but no ships to sail on."

“Um, forgive me for pointing out the obvious... but we just got off a sail boat.”

She grunts. "No ships for sailor like me sail for long time. Bad, bad. I live by selling tickets to small boats to boring places, and by eating roaches."

“You eat roaches? Are they tasty?”

She grins. You try no to look closely at the stuff between her fangs.

“And we're out.”

“See you later!”

“GET BACK HERE!”

“Hey! I like extra S's!”

This is a generic weapon ship selling Stone-tier weapons, with a couple of Bronze ones as well. I'm past that already.

“Hey there! I'm Sass!”

“...”

Get used to this. The Anama is very exclusive, and we'll find out more about them next update. For now though, just roll with it.

“Ugh.” :black101: “Now, where is Sass?”

“And when did I become his keeper?”

“Hrm. Something is odd about this.”

This is a very standard 'tight quarters' layout for a building in Valorim. If you see it, it's because Jeff Vogel was trying to convey people sleeping pretty much on bunk beds.

“Curious. I do not recognize this religious symbol...”

“whut”

“... Why are there so many people here? And why haven't they left?”

“I could use something to stiffen my spine after that ride. Ugh...”

“Um... hello?”

“...”

“Huh. What's this?”

“Well, if you insist.”

“Hello, father”

A lone priest stands at the Anama altar, lost in contemplation. When you approach, he turns to you and smiles gently. "I am Father Rise, of the Anama. Greetings."

“My name is Art, father. I have just arrived from the mainland.”

"Ah! Welcome to the Isle of Bigail. I provide guidance to Port Townsend. It is my holy task, and, as a priest of the Anama, I will carry it out to the fullest."

“I have to say, this port is a small parish.”

"Port Townsend is one of the more successful villages on this island. So far, we have been only somewhat afflicted by the cockroach plagues and the diseases they bring."

“I have heard of them. I must admit to some ulterior motive, Father, for I have come to aid in their extermination. What can you tell me of the this plague?”

"We know not why, but the fair Isle of Bigail has been beset by a mighty plague of foul and disgusting cockroaches. Fortunately, we have the Anama to guide us and to help fight the diseases they brought. The Anama leads us from Shayder."

Shayder?”

"The largest city on this island, and home of the Anama church. It is not far to the northwest."

“You must forgive me, Father. I have heard very little about the Anama. I am curious as to your tennants.”

"The Anama Church is the dominant force of this island. We believe that the use of Mage Spells in the long run brings more death than good. Would you like me to share some of my beliefs on the subject with you?"

“Of course. I asked.”

“...”

“Y... Th... ARE YOU INCOMPETENT?!?!”

“I will not have that”
“Shut up. Let's see here. Where do I start? Oh yeah! Let's start with False Equivalency. You are supposing – without proof – that the plagues are the result of the works of mages. The two halves of your argument do not connect. In fact, your choice of words – which I can only suppose have been designed to elicit a certain response – attempt to equate mages with madness. And because the speaker – you – is a priest, you by this false division create the impression that you yourself and all for whom you speak are not prone to the same foibles.”

“How da”

“I SAID SILENCE! You also pre-suppose that the plague of cockroaches here on Bigail is of artificial design. Now, I can see the logic behind that. There are Slimes and other things in Valorim, and it is quite possible to conclude that such events happening in such a close frame of space and time would indicate an artificial source or controlling factor. I may even agree with that, but I'm not going to make predictions based on theory!”

“THIRD! Your statement is clearly aimed at the lowest common denominator of people who cross your door off the boat. The poor, the tired, the hungry. The uneducated. Your poor logic doesn't work on those who can think rationally for themselves! That is, in my experience, not the methods of a cult out to benefit the whole, but rather to gather up large numbers to make it seem like they have power, might and the support of the 'people'.”

“Fourth, your basic anti-mage tenets would have had you marked as Anti-Empire five years ago. With, you know, Garzahd still in charge before his untimely demise. And him being one of the most powerful mages in existence.”

“Exactly!”

“...”

“I'm out.”

Yeah... The Anama's teachings are poorly shown in the game itself. They have legitimate grievances, but how they go about dealing with it is hampered by the limitations of the engine. There are several other questions like this around the Isle, and I will deal with them all. However, the Goons in the thread have had their own say in the matter, so I will be compiling their comments in a separate post after I've talked to all the relevant NPCs.

For the Narrative, Art will be answering 'No' to each of these questions, with the possible exception of one. Mechanically, she will be answering 'Yes' so as to keep the option of joining the Anama open.

Like that.

“Something the matter?”

“Yes. I want to avoid Shayder for a while.”

“Uh.. alright. Which way then?”

“West.”

“South.”

:barf:

:catholic: “It's the Roaches, isn't it?”

“Perhaps. This island is also covered in woods – who knows what mold grows here.”

“I want to see a point to contemplate!”

“I don't think that means what you think it means.”

“But I wanna!”

“Fine.”

“At least we get out of the woods. It should help clear up my sinuses.”

“Nice view. Except there's no signs of life.”

:sigh:

“Hey! Stand still so I can stab you!”

Normal Roaches are very easy to kill. Remember, the difficulty for the Roaches and the Slimes are supposed to be about equal. Completing one quest makes you too good for the other.

“These things are everywhere!”

“Nothing in here. Just the ruins caused by the Roaches.”

“How do I stab insects quietly?”

“Don't worry about that. Be as loud as you want.”

“Did any of you hear that?”

:black101:

“I hear nothing.”

“Ugh. Defend the doorway!”

“WHAT ARE THOSE?!?!?”

Two-tile wide super-giant roaches. There is no can of Raid big enough for this.

“We got this! You guys take care of the big ones!”

:flame:

“Oh, such cleansing fires!”

You think the Anama might be onto something...

“This would be a beautiful place, if it wasn't for the roaches, and all the damage so far.”

“Curious. This appears to have healing properties.”

Drinking from this fountain cures all Poison and Disease in the party! It's awesome!

“Nothing.”

“I wouldn't say that. There's a little back here.”

“Same book.”

“Ugh!”

drat, Poison and Disease from the Roaches? This could be annoying. If I didn't have five Priests.

“This is.. I want to say intelligent, but perhaps they were just reacting to the magic in the altar?”

“There is no magic left, I can assure you of that.”

“This used to be a chicken pen.”

“There's nothing left here. Come on, let's go.”

“Hold up... There's something or someone ahead.”

“What are those things?”

“Bears, and something else...”

The Ursag is a mutant Bear. We'll be encountering more of them much later in the course of another Plague.

Generic Ogres.

Generic Bears

Generic Fireballs

“I don't want to encounter those again. Normal bears are bad enough!”

“Maybe whoever lives there can tell us about them!”

“OH NO!”

“What?”

“That tower is on fire!”

“Uh.. It's supposed to be.”

“What? Why?”

“If we get in, I can explain it for you.”

“Hello? Is the Keeper home?”

“Come in!”

You meet the lighthouse keeper, a wiry, aging man with a misshapen face and a host of tiny scars on his hands and arms. He emits a long, loud belch and chuckles. "'Scuse me. I'm Garnak."

“Matthias. Are you the Keeper?”

"I take care of Southpoint Lighthouse. Beats workin'!"

“Ah! You are familiar with the operation of the lighthouse then?”

"There's a big fire upstairs. I throw a few sticks into it every day to maintain it. Ships don't founder on the rocks. I get fed. It's a living."

“But that's work! How does it beat working?”

“You're a big'un aren't you? What are you? Nah, never mind.” He grunts. "Eh, I wouldn't be out here were it not for a few, well ... indiscretions in my past. Can't do the old business, but the new business has its points."

“What are indiscretions?”

He burps in irritation. "Not a very tactful question, if I do say so myself."

“Well, if you're still in the business, perhaps we can talk that before we have a look at the lights?”

He says enigmatically "The old skills are still active, if you know what I mean. I know you wouldn't come out here if you weren't interested. Buying or selling?" He then belches enigmatically.

How do you belch enigmatically?

Huh. Though when you find out something about what's going on here on Bigail, this becomes a lot more understandable.

We can also sell our stuff to him. Not that we have stuff.

“Garnak? Who's there?”

And this is totally not me covering up the fact I forgot to screenshot the location of the next NPC.

“Some visitors!”

“Well, send them over!”

“She's in the room to the south.”

The thing you notice most about this woman are her fingers. They're pianist's fingers, or wizards fingers. They're long and thin, and move with perfect precision. It's probably necessary in order to cut and shape the crystals around her. "I'm Elspeth. Welcome to my little shop."

“Greetings! What do you do here?”

“Well, this is my shop. I don't get visitors often.”

"I work crystals. This is an excellent place for it. Out here, I can concentrate." She pulls out a large velvet lined case, and opens it. It's filled with an eye-popping variety of crystals. "Aren't they beautiful?" She winks at you. "And they can be purchased, if you are so inclined."

PIERCING CRYSTALS FOR 200 GOLD EACH!?!?!

“Well, let's show you that lighthouse now.”

“Cool!”

“You know that there can be shallows in the waters, reefs and sharp rocks?”

“Yes!”

“Well, it's the same here on the surface. And to warn ships about them, from long distances away so they can correct their course, places like this exist.”

“This fire, plus the colouring on the outside of the lighthouse let ships know where the problem areas are and how to avoid them.”

“Neat!”

“What are you doing?”

“Making Shadow Puppets!”

“...” :sigh:

“Interesting books.”

“I spent a lot of effort learning how to pick locks. This is a stupid manual.”

“And all this information about the Vahnatai is completely wrong. I'm taking one to take back. To show how the propaganda of the Empire is working.”

“Nice to know the Empire maintains consistency, even when their people don't.”

“Well, two separate beds. Nice to see that.”

“That doesn't mean much.”

“No, but the club in the dresser between them does.”

I admit, I laughed more at the implications here than I should have.

“Have a nice day! Come back soon!”

“Well, I'm less angry now. Let's go to Shayder and see what the locals have to say about their Roach problem.”

“Fireball.”

“Fireball.”

“Halberd.” :lol:

“That certainly looks like the place.”

“Perhaps we can talk to those farmers first?”

“Hail and well met!”

“Rings marking membership? What's to stop forgery?”

“Magic.”

“Well, we can find out ourselves. Welcome to Shayder. Capital of the Province of Bigail and headquarters for the Cult of Anama.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 7, 2016

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I usually didn't go to the Point of Contemplation until later during the quest. I also don't believe there's any benefit to visiting there, other than the pool that cures diseases. Which I didn't use, because I thought it would cause disease instead.

berryjon posted:

Uh, how was Delilah poisoned when the Mung Roach can't do that?

Take a closer look at the stat sheet. Mung Roach has a poison rating of 4.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

LuffyVeggies posted:

There's also the Airy Stone, which when held is supposed to lower the weight in your pack. Keyword being "supposed" to. For some reason, there's a glitch in the Windows version that makes it weigh positive 246 lbs instead of a negative. This was apparently corrected in the Mac version.

It must have been meant to weigh -10 lbs., but weight wasn't made a signed value, so the game interpreted it as 246 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Few typos I noticed: "tenants" instead of "tenets", "mould" instead of "mold" (a mould is something you use to shape things e.g. for casting), and Delilah says at one point "You think the..." when she probably meant "I think the...".

• Locked thread