Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Deptfordx posted:

Last time this subject came up I idly checked the history of Smith & Wesson's stock price.

If you'd bought S&W stock the day Obama was first Inaugurated you'd have seen your shares value increase 1000%, same with Ruger.

The NRA functions as marketing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Deptfordx posted:

If you'd bought S&W stock the day Obama was first Inaugurated you'd have seen your shares value increase 1000%, same with Ruger.

Another reason to vote for Hillary, I guess.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hermetic posted:

The NRA functions as marketing as well.

poo poo, the NRA basically is the marketing arm of the gun industry.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Guilty posted:

poo poo, the NRA basically is the marketing arm of the gun industry.

I think it's more accurate to say the gun industry is the manufacturing arm of the NRA at this point.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Might as well make bank when we are forced into this poo poo show

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
If you forgot in all the majestic destruction being sewn by the Trump fallout, yesterday was the National Day of Prayer. Out of morbid curiousity and because it was literally only a few minutes away from my house, I went to one of the public spectacle events being held for it, and it was certainly something.

On top of the usual doubletalking about how America is simultaneously both the greatest and most God-blessed nation but also a den of sin and iniquity on a level never seen before, there were some pretty crazy statements about how Jesus will "stop transgenderism", but that if he somehow doesn't (?) we'll have pedophilia and bestiality legalized soon, how we are "a generation away from a pagan nation" if we didn't get God back in schools and stop political correctness from running rampant, that "we are now in a country where our police men and women are seen as the bad guys and the bad guys have more rights than the police men and women!" and "our soldiers can't fight against the enemies of freedom, they instead have to fight in the crookedness of politics!", and the crowning statement of "prayer works, the problem is we don't have enough folks in America praying. If we're ever gonna win this spiritual fight, then we're gonna need to get on our hands and knees until the soles of our feet are sore."

Even after an entire childhood and youth living in a Southern Baptist family, I never understood this idea of God as some cosmic ballot box that only moves the way you want him to when he gets enough votes. That if you pray hard enough, he'll make America just the way you want it (which conveniently happens to be very Republican).

It was already really interesting to note how much of an air of defeatism there was. For all the bombast and bluster over the power of prayer, the speakers seemed to feel genuinely defeated, as if they know that they're ultimately losing the culture war. And while the prayers for the police and the military were expectantly sycophantic, the Catholic and Pentecostal preachers praying for other topics heavily emphasized the need for interdenominational unity to avoid irrelevancy, and the Southern Baptist preacher who was put in charge of the prayer for the government more or less bluntly said that he hated both presidential candidates, the standing president, and our state governor, and was only doing the prayer because the Bible says to pray for appointed officials.

There was also far less of a turnout than I would have expected for a region as religiously heavy as southern Louisiana. Around fifty people, and out of those only around twelve or so seemed to be younger than middle age, and even then most of those younger individuals were the police officers and EMTs in attendance rather than the average Joe or Jane.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Good, gently caress'em.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fossilized Rappy posted:

the Bible says to pray for appointed officials
"Pray for the Pharoah. Pray for the Romans."

- The Bible, probably.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chilichimp posted:

Good, gently caress'em.
Research has shown that religious belief has fallen off a cliff in America in just the last several years

quote:

This overall drop in religiosity has been driven by the rapid growth of the religiously unaffiliated population (from 16% of all U.S. adults in 2007 to 23% in 2014) – along with the fact that these religious “nones” are becoming even more secular over time. For example, while 70% of “nones” expressed a belief in God in 2007, that figure has fallen to 61% today. At the same time, among the shrinking share of Americans who do identify with a religion, levels of religious observance have been relatively stable. Indeed, by some measures, such as frequency of sharing their faith with others and reading scripture, religious engagement has even ticked up modestly among the affiliated.

As is the case with religious affiliation, generational replacement also is helping to drive lower levels of religious commitment. In other words, as older, more religiously observant generations die out, they are being replaced by far less religious young adults. One example: Two-thirds of members of the Silent generation (67%) say religion is very important in their lives, but only 38% of the youngest members of the Millennial generation – those born between 1990 and 1996 – say the same. Just 28% of these youngest Millennials report attending religious services at least weekly, compared with about half (51%) of their Silent generation counterparts.
My belief is that the degree to which religious leaders have tied their religion to retrograde and unpopular social causes (combined with the Catholic Church's all-encompassing pedophilia scandal) has done real damage to the popularity of their faiths, especially among young people.

Church is for out-of-touch old people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

If you forgot in all the majestic destruction being sewn by the Trump fallout, yesterday was the National Day of Prayer. Out of morbid curiousity and because it was literally only a few minutes away from my house, I went to one of the public spectacle events being held for it, and it was certainly something.

On top of the usual doubletalking about how America is simultaneously both the greatest and most God-blessed nation but also a den of sin and iniquity on a level never seen before, there were some pretty crazy statements about how Jesus will "stop transgenderism", but that if he somehow doesn't (?) we'll have pedophilia and bestiality legalized soon, how we are "a generation away from a pagan nation" if we didn't get God back in schools and stop political correctness from running rampant, that "we are now in a country where our police men and women are seen as the bad guys and the bad guys have more rights than the police men and women!" and "our soldiers can't fight against the enemies of freedom, they instead have to fight in the crookedness of politics!", and the crowning statement of "prayer works, the problem is we don't have enough folks in America praying. If we're ever gonna win this spiritual fight, then we're gonna need to get on our hands and knees until the soles of our feet are sore."

Even after an entire childhood and youth living in a Southern Baptist family, I never understood this idea of God as some cosmic ballot box that only moves the way you want him to when he gets enough votes. That if you pray hard enough, he'll make America just the way you want it (which conveniently happens to be very Republican).

It was already really interesting to note how much of an air of defeatism there was. For all the bombast and bluster over the power of prayer, the speakers seemed to feel genuinely defeated, as if they know that they're ultimately losing the culture war. And while the prayers for the police and the military were expectantly sycophantic, the Catholic and Pentecostal preachers praying for other topics heavily emphasized the need for interdenominational unity to avoid irrelevancy, and the Southern Baptist preacher who was put in charge of the prayer for the government more or less bluntly said that he hated both presidential candidates, the standing president, and our state governor, and was only doing the prayer because the Bible says to pray for appointed officials.

There was also far less of a turnout than I would have expected for a region as religiously heavy as southern Louisiana. Around fifty people, and out of those only around twelve or so seemed to be younger than middle age, and even then most of those younger individuals were the police officers and EMTs in attendance rather than the average Joe or Jane.

Yeah, the christian right is dying out hard. Most of the youth have either left the faith completely or they have become more liberal/left in their beliefs. The home school poo poo doesn't work because the second they get outside the proverbial compound, they realize its all bullshit. even the Harded nuts like swanson are relizng its over. sorta. Cruz was the last bastion of hope for them. now its the alt rights turn.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Fossilized Rappy posted:

"If we're ever gonna win this spiritual fight, then we're gonna need to get on our hands and knees until the soles of our feet are sore."

Guys, I think I've found the problem! It's not a lack of prayer; it's just that he's doing it super wrong. :v:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Watermelon posted:

Might as well make bank when we are forced into this poo poo show

I am, if Hilalry is above 7 percent on average before the election I am taking half of the money my grandma left me and investing it in Colt, S&W, and Rugers.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 6, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chantilly Say posted:

Removing the little check mark seems like such an odd non-response, though. It doesn't actually do anything to him.

it underscores that he doesn't matter. it's the same as if wikipedia deleted your personal article for lack of notability. like who cares if this is your verified account because who are you anyway? which is exactly the kind of thing that drives a narcissist up a wall

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

I am, if Hilalry is above 7 percent on average before the election I am taking half of the money my grandma left me and investing it in Colt, S&W, and Rugers.

No don't give money to Big Gun :mad:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ragnar34 posted:

I only support local artisan gunsmiths.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I give my money to bigguns.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Savage went on a crazy Oedipal meltdown today. He started talking about how Obama is a secret Muslim then Muslim Spain and then how everyone wants to recreate a perfected version of their childhood and metaphorically (?) Sleep with their mothers.

It was definitely a thing.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Ragnar34 posted:

I only buy artesian ammo, hand-crafted by the most dedicated insane grandpas making gunpowder and casting lead in highly un-ventilated basements.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 6, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

Savage went on a crazy Oedipal meltdown today. He started talking about how Obama is a secret Muslim then Muslim Spain and then how everyone wants to recreate a perfected version of their childhood and metaphorically (?) Sleep with their mothers.

By election day, the right wing media will basically just be incoherent howling, broken occasionally by a guttural "KILL", "RAPE" or "BURN", and the sound of a rock being slammed against another rock.

It's like they're all suffering from a degenerative neurological condition.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I only buy artesian ammo, hand-crafted by the most dedicated insane grandpas making gunpowder and casting lead in highly un-ventilated basements.

Freeper-made ammo is awesome. It has the driest powder.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

My uncle makes pretty good bullets, doesn't he?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Haha is that actually a thing? I was only making the joke cause a family member actually used to cast lead/make gunpowder in an unventilated basement.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mercury_Storm posted:

Haha is that actually a thing? I was only making the joke cause a family member actually used to cast lead/make gunpowder in an unventilated basement.

Casting bullets or making your own black powder is usually a musket/historical recreationist thing and even then it's going pretty far down the rabbit hole.

Reloading your own casings with bulk-purchased bullets, powder and primers is a really good way to save money if you're doing any sort of regular firing. It's pretty easy, cheap to get into, saves noticeable money over the long term and gives you a lot of control over what kind of charge you put in your ammo if you're at a point where that matters.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Ammosexuals will buy the dumbest, most expensive poo poo if you convince them that it somehow amplifies the power of their manhood pistol.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SumYungGui posted:

Casting bullets or making your own black powder is usually a musket/historical recreationist thing and even then it's going pretty far down the rabbit hole.

Reloading your own casings with bulk-purchased bullets, powder and primers is a really good way to save money if you're doing any sort of regular firing. It's pretty easy, cheap to get into, saves noticeable money over the long term and gives you a lot of control over what kind of charge you put in your ammo if you're at a point where that matters.

is this the gun equivalent of gamers' "nah man, i can totally notice the lag bro" while wearing Gunnars?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Phone posted:

is this the gun equivalent of gamers' "nah man, i can totally notice the lag bro" while wearing Gunnars?

Not really, when you're at the point where you are concerned with the charge in each round you're already doing things like figuring out the exact feet per second you want and then running the math to figure out the charge you want. It's not subjective at all. It's "I want X number for Y conditions, this is the number I need to get it".

Also doing your own reloading saves a lot of money, kinda the opposite of idiot gamer accessory marketing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SumYungGui posted:

It's also good for making cop killer bullets.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

It's also good for making cop killer bullets.

I think you mean "special ordinance for the RaHoWa". "Cop killer bullets" are what you call them when they're owned by ni--urban thugs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So what do we coat those with? Newmans own low fat vinegarette dressing?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You make sure they're fired by someone who is a truly patriotic American. I've got these helpful pantone cards to determine initial levels of patriotism.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Obama's mother was american. so to realize his Oedipal fixation, he decided to gently caress her country of birth deep and hard, like in those cuckolding videos that totally aren't all the rage in Utah.

We're through the looking glass here, guys.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Sephyr posted:

Obama's mother was american. so to realize his Oedipal fixation, he decided to gently caress her country of birth deep and hard, like in those cuckolding videos that totally aren't all the rage in Utah.

We're through the looking glass here, guys.

I know that's a word filter, but, let's face it, most right-wing media can be described as "I am a loving moron videos", and I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's fairly popular in Utah.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Man, something I'm starting to see in various pundit articles that I never thought I would see: an admission that voters choosing Donald Trump is a sign that those voters are trash people, politically. That we've finally found a candidate and base so opposite to reality that they broke the sacred bond between voter and straight reporter that says a vote can never be wrong.

The example I keep seeing is articles based on the (hella old) poll showing that Conservative voters think Donald is their most electable option that showed 47% to Ted Cruz's 15, Marco's 14...and frankly go ahead and add Cruz's total to Don's because those are both headscratchers for explaining why they're most electable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hannity and a few others are now openly calling for Paul Ryan's head.

turn, turn, turn

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Should I print out a twitter checkmark and go to the event and say "Here's your loving checkmark, I took it, come and get it"?

Also self-described "Dangerous human being" Milo and Crowder can't make it more obvious that the only promotion they can get is from themselves." I wanted a cool nickname so I came up with a really forced, lame one on my own"

Holy crap yes, this with the checkmark instead of the star would be hilarious:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Teflon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Just ask him how you know he's the real milo if he isn't verified on Twitter.

Spending effort on it will make you look like a tryhard who's mad at him. He's good at dealing with people who are mad at him, and he's very bad at dealing with people who are making fun of him.

If you want to make him mad, call him out on being an unfunny carpetbagger.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bushiz posted:

Spending effort on it will make you look like a tryhard who's mad at him. He's good at dealing with people who are mad at him, and he's very bad at dealing with people who are making fun of him.

Related to this, I find that a bunch of internet conservatives will completely flip the gently caress out if they feel you're disrespecting them. For example, if you just reply to them with something like "lol look at this guy" or "cool story bro" (and then never reply to any of their replies) they will often freak out and start demanding you respond to them. Like, they will sometimes proceed to send you multiple messages because they can't deal with the idea of someone openly disrespecting them and not being able to somehow "win" against them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ragnar34 posted:

Why shouldn't I profit from paranoid delusions?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Crowsbeak posted:

Why shouldn't I profit from paranoid delusions?

Isn't that the same attitude Big Gun has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Is there such a thing as gun hipsters? I feel like there's probably such a thing as gun hipsters.