Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

It means what everyone has known for months. A lot of people dislike Hillary. Even more dislike Trump.

Sure, but for more people in Texas to dislike the Republican frontrunner than the Democratic frontrunner? That's pretty insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

showbiz_liz posted:

Sure, but for more people in Texas to dislike the Republican frontrunner than the Democratic frontrunner? That's pretty insane.

Not really.

Texas has a very sizable Hispanic community and they really loving hate him.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not really.

Texas has a very sizable Hispanic community and they really loving hate him.

Oh I know WHY it's happening, but it's still pretty amazing, isn't it?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

theflyingorc posted:

This kind of thing is why I've never agreed that Cruz was the worse candidate. Worse PERSON, sure - but the type of things that were awful about Cruz are the type of things that are bad for a legislator, not a president. Trump would have control of the strongest military in the world. That's terrifying.

I think a president Cruz would proclaim himself the second coming of Christ and usher in Armageddon via nuclear hellfire.

Donald Trump will just invade Cuba or somewhere so he can develop all that beach front property.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

And so begins Hilllary's rightwards pivot to the comfortable triangular center now that the competition has imploded and she can safely gently caress over the left, not needing their support

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/us/politics/hillary-clinton-republican-party.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Reading the article, it sounds like the Hillary campaign's strategy to woo disaffected Republicans is focused mainly on emphasizing Trump's negatives and general unfitness to be commander-in-chief, not on any triangulation or policy changes on Hillary's part.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

And so begins Hilllary's rightwards pivot to the comfortable triangular center now that the competition has imploded and she can safely gently caress over the left, not needing their support

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/us/politics/hillary-clinton-republican-party.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Of she's trying to grow the party by bringing in disaffected Republicans and showing them there's space for compromise and a place for them within our big tent so she can assemble a crushing electoral majority and actually go into office with a mandate hopefully a friendly upper chamber. But nah, she's doing the evil thing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

A politician trying to convince people to vote for them?? My god!

That article doesn't mention even a single policy shift to the right, just that she's trying to profit off of Trump's disastrousness. Her foreign policy pitch is that she'll be less wingnutty than trump, and her main tack is "trump is horrible to women, I'll improve things for women". That's not a shift to the center, that's just drawing a line between the center and your opponent.

And yes, she will shift to a center somewhat at some point, this is an election. But be reasonable.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Trying to bring in disaffected Republicans by attacking Trump a whole lot sounds like a good strategy.

I've seen about four variations of that same article over the past few days and it all just boils down to "they're going to attack Trump a lot".

Wow congrats you cracked that code

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hate those Republicans, look at them, they nominated Trump, who is a clown!

They're right about Hillary though. Hillary :argh:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Predictably, Hillary and co. are being mocked for trying to get 'Dangerous Donald' passed around. I can totally see Trump walk on a rally stage wearing some shades and totally pimp out that nickname.

If you're gonna use alliteration, why not Disaster Donald? Or why even a nickname at all, it's dumb as poo poo.

just go Dumbfuck Donny or something, jesus

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I guess love does conquer all.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

She loves Johnson, what can you say?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/brianjameswalsh/status/728695427592228865

Donald is doing everything in his power to not get his party to unite around him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BobTheJanitor posted:

Because good political messaging uses easily remembered sound bites to take root in the popular consciousness. See death panels, death tax, etc. The goal is to have an idea that can be easily parsed in just a few words and then keep repeating it until it becomes common knowledge. Republicans are vastly better at this than democrats could ever hope to be. Someone at the DNC needs to find out how much it would cost to buy off Frank Luntz, because history has proven that that's pretty much the only chance they'd ever have to pull off this sort of messaging without immediately screwing it up.

That reminds me, I need to check in on how he's been feeling about this election. In January he was already a bit :stare:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Spoils the fun

https://twitter.com/joshledermanap/status/728698100915834880

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ditocoaf posted:

A politician trying to convince people to vote for them?? My god!

That article doesn't mention even a single policy shift to the right, just that she's trying to profit off of Trump's disastrousness. Her foreign policy pitch is that she'll be less wingnutty than trump, and her main tack is "trump is horrible to women, I'll improve things for women". That's not a shift to the center, that's just drawing a line between the center and your opponent.

And yes, she will shift to a center somewhat at some point, this is an election. But be reasonable.

Is this the new "Hillary is the real progressive"?

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

theblackw0lf posted:

https://twitter.com/brianjameswalsh/status/728695427592228865

Donald is doing everything in his power to not get his party to unite around him.

Which is why I think he won't be able to pivot. Hillary just has to provoke him a little. Even with months to prep before the first debate he's too much of a hotheaded egomaniac to control himself.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

:qq: Hillary's trying to get votes instead of saying exactly what I want her to say. :qq:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Shbobdb posted:

I think it's the still-current "Hillary wants to crush the GOP into a fine paste under her heel, cackling". More people voting D accomplishes that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

DemeaninDemon posted:

:qq: Hillary's trying to get votes instead of saying exactly what I want her to say. :qq:

It's the same strategy LBJ used in 1964 which worked out pretty well.

MAKE SOCIETY GREAT AGAIN.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JB laughed off that whole "it's Roberts fault for Trump" thing the other day. He did find another piece of analysis that I think explains the Trump rise better:

quote:

I think the rise of Trump can be partly explained by the politics of delegitimization backfiring. Conservatives and libertarians used the strategy to rally the troops. They made it a standard move, and it became second nature over time. . . .  When a large audience is inclined to believe that everyone in government is corrupt, an outsider who excels at the politics of delegitimization can become a powerful political force regardless of his own politics. . . . Public perceptions of what Chief Justice Roberts wrote in Sebelius may have been a contributing factor — one among many, of course, but still a factor — in the Republican party turning to Donald Trump. But that perception was the result of a false narrative designed to delegitimize Roberts’s decision. To the extent public perceptions of Sebelius made any difference, the fault for the rise of Donald Trump does not belong with Chief Justice Roberts. Instead, it belongs with those who tried to delegitimize the Roberts opinion for their own ends and had it backfire on them big-time.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Either Trump's gonna have a bad month, or we're going to have the President-elect defending himself in a fraud case.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TeenageArchipelago posted:

just go Dumbfuck Donny or something, jesus

It really is a missed opportunity for a "you're out of your loving element, Donny" reference.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cabbit posted:

I think it's the still-current "Hillary wants to crush the GOP into a fine paste under her heel, cackling". More people voting D accomplishes that.

The Dems are almost certain to make decent gains in the House regardless of whether they retake the Senate. If Clinton wins and gets a Democrat-majority senate and a decent number of seats in the House it's going to make Paul Ryan's life a living hell, especially if the GOP loses more House seats than they should have due to Trump causing damage to the GOP. The House won't flip unless the right completely collapses but it'll be interesting to see how long Paul Ryan would keep using the Hastert Rule to logjam everything when a Democratic Senate sends them bills to vote on and the White House keeps calling asking what the hold up is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Dems are almost certain to make decent gains in the House regardless of whether they retake the Senate. If Clinton wins and gets a Democrat-majority senate and a decent number of seats in the House it's going to make Paul Ryan's life a living hell, especially if the GOP loses more House seats than they should have due to Trump causing damage to the GOP. The House won't flip unless the right completely collapses but it'll be interesting to see how long Paul Ryan would keep using the Hastert Rule to logjam everything when a Democratic Senate sends them bills to vote on and the White House keeps calling asking what the hold up is.

Hard to keep using the Hastert Rule now lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cabbit posted:

Not gonna lie, of the enthusiastic Hillary supporters I know, this is a major factor for well over half.

(For me it's mostly "slightly worse Obama third term, which is just fine", but I can't deny the appeal of a woman who's spent the last quarter century being demonized by the GOP getting the power to ruin them.)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Either Trump's gonna have a bad month, or we're going to have the President-elect defending himself in a fraud case.

Said it before, Trump is going to contest the election results if he doesn't win, can't see him not doing it.
The TU case will be on hold when Trump and hundreds of fat white racists demand recounts.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rahm Emanuel: The man who managed to turn his city from Black Chicago and White Chicago to just Chicago.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

happyhippy posted:

Said it before, Trump is going to contest the election results if he doesn't win, can't see him not doing it.
The TU case will be on hold when Trump and hundreds of fat white racists demand recounts.

If we end up with another year of "hanging chads" I'm going to investigate living in the Antarctic or something.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

Rahm Emanuel: The man who managed to turn his city from Black Chicago and White Chicago to just Chicago.

What's the point of it if he's going to get booted out?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't loving understand why liberals have such a hard-on for rewarding failure and punishing innovation. If you aren't achieving impact with your current methods, change your goddamn methods.

My kids are suffering from permanent whiplash due to literally every loving year the state "changing it's goddamned methods" so every revolving-door failure in the sec. of education seat can unzip and leave their mark on the school system.

Couple that with tripling-down (working on quadrouple-down, we're going to catch up with KFC yet) on standardized testing and a sudden uptick of liability-paranoia that's driven a wedge between parents and schools (One parent only at all school functions. Who loves you more, Mom or Dad?) and what was once a good school district has completely cratered in less than 5 years.

But hey, what do you expect out of the state that elected Rick loving Scott governor?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harik posted:

(One parent only at all school functions. Who loves you more, Mom or Dad?)
I recognize everything else but what the hell is this about?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

I recognize everything else but what the hell is this about?

You maximize profits by cutting costs. Weak orange drinks and ham sandwiches cost you know.
Your shareholders will love you for it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Don't sign your posts.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

fits my needs posted:

What's the point of it if he's going to get booted out?

Maybe it's like the end of Watchmen.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Cabbit posted:

Maybe it's like the end of Watchmen.

A naked blue man will explode his head?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

No, of course she's moderate as all hell. (and if I could elect someone with Sanders' platform and Clinton's political strength I would, but that's not gonna happen. She'll still be the second-best president of my lifetime so far though.) The point of my post was "trying to get dissatisfied Republicans to vote for her" ≠ "swinging further rightward".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^ You were born in 2001 or later? :psyduck:

Or you think Hilary will be better than Bill (who was extremely good for the time, though yeah a lot of things like 3 strikes ultimately ended up being a bad thing).

happyhippy posted:

If he loses in a blow out it won't matter. Contesting the results if Clinton has 270 EVs just from states with several percentage point leads will get his challenge thrown out or outright ignored. If the SCOTUS actually has to step in I don't think even the conservative justices would be able to pull Bush v. Gore style poo poo if handing Trump the win would require stealing multiple states and percentage points and they'd still only get a 4-4 ruling out of it and cause even more chaos.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or you think Hilary will be better than Bill (who was extremely good for the time, though yeah a lot of things like 3 strikes ultimately ended up being a bad thing).

If he loses in a blow out it won't matter. Contesting the results if Clinton has 270 EVs just from states with several percentage point leads will get his challenge thrown out or outright ignored. If the SCOTUS actually has to step in I don't think even the conservative justices would be able to pull Bush v. Gore style poo poo if handing Trump the win would require stealing multiple states and percentage points and they'd still only get a 4-4 ruling out of it and cause even more chaos.

Bush/Gore stuff only matters is there's half a chance a recount would do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Born exactly one year after Bush 1 took office. And I guess yeah, I'm expecting her to be a bit better than Bill, even if partly because of the changing culture. Relative to the times I guess that's a harder call, but I'm still hopeful. It's not that high a bar to clear.

• Locked thread