Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I love the Verdun FPS and I hate shooters as a genre.

cheerfullydrab posted:

The best WWI video game would just follow the plot of the Charley's War comics and be as much about surviving the vicissitudes of the military establishment as combat against Germans.

I'd love to see one of the French developers, Quantic Dream, or Ubisoft, or Dontnod, do a choices-matter adventure game about Private Jean Crapaud. It'd lend itself perfectly to an episodic release format, and it'd be the perfect way to bring out the whole life of the soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd love to see one of the French developers, Quantic Dream, or Ubisoft, or Dontnod, do a choices-matter adventure game about Private Jean Crapaud. It'd lend itself perfectly to an episodic release format, and it'd be the perfect way to bring out the whole life of the soldier.

Did you play valiant hearts? What'd you think of it (as a game about WWI I mean)?

Open question to anyone really but also you specifically because of your particular expertise

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Trin Tragula posted:

Verdun the game will survive because you have to slowly inch yourself face first patiently towards the enemy trench whilst hoping a shell doesn't fall directly on you. Realism!

Also, if you have played Valiant Hearts Trin whats your thoughts?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The best WWI game is and will forever be the Last Express.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
No joke, I would probably buy and play the hell out of a 'realistic' WWI simulator because I'm the kind of schmuck who owns and plays Space Shuttle Mission 2007: Oh Boy I Hope There Are Lots Of Switches To Throw In The Right Order and hates fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePv7ZdWVjY4

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Empress Theonora posted:

The best WWI game is and will forever be the Last Express.

Wings of Glory.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I really liked Red Baron II but I was angry there were no zeppelins.

thatbastardken posted:

Settle down Lord Palmerston, noone is coming for your fortification budget now.

That's Lord Fisher to you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think you're all forgetting about a little masterpiece called Darkest of Days

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Anyway that trailer is completely bonkers and I can't believe somehow there's a WWI game with a dubstep White Stripes remix soundtrack.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think you're all forgetting about a little masterpiece called Darkest of Days

Necrovision.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
pike and shot is ok i guess but there's not enough 17th century video games out there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

pike and shot is ok i guess but there's not enough 17th century video games out there

Shogun Total War is close enough

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

I like the way it lets you set up a carefully considered, well thought out battle plan and then your cavalry inevitably does something completely retarded and it all goes to poo poo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Pappenheim did nothing wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also the game is happening in an alternative history, so it's all gonna be steampunk and (I'm guessing here) tight corsets and walking Ironclads
The trailer is full of biplanes and triplanes crashing into things and FUKKAN ASPLODING everywhere. One of them even demolishes a stone tower BEFORE it explodes.

I think it's safe to say it will be full of poo poo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Pappenheim did nothing wrong.
lol

he's not even the only cav general who is known for that poo poo, check out a nice young man named Rupert Of The Rhine who was famous in the England thing

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

Super true. Honestly want an early modern total war that gets it right just for the sheer spectacle of a properly working tercio.

P-Mack posted:

I like the way it lets you set up a carefully considered, well thought out battle plan and then your cavalry inevitably does something completely retarded and it all goes to poo poo.

My favorite loss was one of my pike and shot blocks chasing a routing enemy unit and ending up back to back with an enemy unit which was able to turn around and charge them in the rear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's the official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arquinsiel posted:

The trailer is full of biplanes and triplanes crashing into things and FUKKAN ASPLODING everywhere. One of them even demolishes a stone tower BEFORE it explodes.

I think it's safe to say it will be full of poo poo.

If I was generous I would say that they explode as visual feedback to the player for 'I got a kill'.

But it is Battlefield.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's not like BF1942 was an ultra realism milsperg portrayal of WWII. I hope it succeeds if only to encourage vidcon developers to do something other than Omaha Beach for the thousandth time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Rise. Of. Flight.

:colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

P-Mack posted:

It's not like BF1942 was an ultra realism milsperg portrayal of WWII. I hope it succeeds if only to encourage vidcon developers to do something other than Omaha Beach for the thousandth time.
At this point I almost miss Omaha Beach. We're just out of GreyBrown Modern and into GreyBrown Future for the last year or so.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's what the latest Wolfenstein game gave us.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

At this point I almost miss Omaha Beach. We're just out of GreyBrown Modern and into GreyBrown Future for the last year or so.

I just want better gun variety. Assault rifle, sniper, lmg just isn't doing it.

One thing that's real nice is it looks like a variety of areas rather than gently caress it, Passchendaele, Passchendaele on less wet land, Passchendaele around a fort, Passchendaele with tree bursts.

Battlefield 1: No the server isn't stuck on the Isonzo map.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xthetenth posted:

I just want better gun variety. Assault rifle, sniper, lmg just isn't doing it.

Same reason I stopped playing CoD.

And god damnit, stop resetting all my progress between games. It's dumb enough I need to do stupid crap like "Kill 400 people to get 1 of 8" but at least let me keep my unlocks when its literally the same gun. :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hogmartin posted:

No joke, I would probably buy and play the hell out of a 'realistic' WWI simulator because I'm the kind of schmuck who owns and plays Space Shuttle Mission 2007: Oh Boy I Hope There Are Lots Of Switches To Throw In The Right Order

...I think I played that one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Taerkar posted:

If I was generous I would say that they explode as visual feedback to the player for 'I got a kill'.

But it is Battlefield.

Why are we questioning the historical accuracy of vanilla Battlefield games again?

In Battlefield 1942 for some reason the Prince Of Wales was at Midway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why are we questioning the historical accuracy of vanilla Battlefield games again?

And American paratroopers dropped into Arnhem in market garden :britain:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

At least they were actually involved in the theatre at the time, let alone the battle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

look at how right this man is.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, and I shot down a Zero with a 14" shell. 5/5 would play again.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

My favorite loss was one of my pike and shot blocks chasing a routing enemy unit and ending up back to back with an enemy unit which was able to turn around and charge them in the rear.
there's actually a specific move that allows an infantryman to turn around and do that in a single motion and when well done it looks super snazzy

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

there's actually a specific move that allows an infantryman to turn around and do that in a single motion and when well done it looks super snazzy

do you mean in game or as pike drill? if so, was it done en masse by an entire block or was it a thing the ones at the end of the block would do to respond to a sudden threat?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

do you mean in game or as pike drill? if so, was it done en masse by an entire block or was it a thing the ones at the end of the block would do to respond to a sudden threat?
pike drill. it's called Charge Against Enemy Foot From The Rear. And I suspect everyone in the block turns around at the same time, if only because keeping track of the guys who are telling you what to do is more difficult than it seems, especially when you can't hear.

a really good 17th century game would also be an antidote to all those brown/greybrown videogames, these guys' subconscious minds looked like Bayonetta

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 7, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I'm not sure how people in this thread can really be down on a AAA title set in WW1 of all places. It's like the best thing that could happen for seeing more WW1 games come out. It draws attention to the era, I mean look at the loving decade of WW2 games we got in the MoH/CoD/BF1942 days.

Also it looks like a shitload of dumb fun, which is all you can ask for in a shooter nowadays. You have ARMA/Squad/PR for the realism stuff. And lets be honest, realism in a WW1 game is not something you're gonna rally a successful player base around. You pick up like 5000 grognards for a couple months and that's it. Grand scale FPS games don't work when its 8v8.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 7, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He's actually a demon pirate come back from the dead who roams the land searching for the one true prize.

Man he was the best character.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mazz posted:

I'm not sure how people in this thread can really be down on a AAA title set in WW1 of all places. It's like the best thing that could happen for seeing more WW1 games come out. It draws attention to the era, I mean look at the loving decade of WW2 games we got in the MoH/CoD/BF1942 days.

Also it looks like a shitload of dumb fun, which is all you can ask for in a shooter nowadays. You have ARMA/Squad/PR for the realism stuff. And lets be honest, realism in a WW1 game is not something you're gonna rally a successful player base around. You pick up like 5000 grognards for a couple months and that's it. Grand scale FPS games don't work when its 8v8.

"Realism" in a WWI game would be better off going full Spec Ops.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Look, if you want realism you do fancy stuff like using you Colt 1911 to shoot down other biplanes... or use your flare gun and set them on fire. Endman, restart your LP so we can have more WW1 shenanigans!

FAUXTON posted:

Man he is the best character.

You know it! :human being:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xthetenth posted:

"Realism" in a WWI game would be better off going full Spec Ops.
Make you go through the wallets of your kills, and read unfinished letters to their families?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Make you go through the wallets of your kills, and read unfinished letters to their families?

I'd also do a lot of messy pointless deaths for player characters. And a lot of the sense of things getting worse and worse as you go on. But I'm really unclear on the meaning of "fun".

• Locked thread