Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff:

These dudes listen to so much '70s rock, you think they'd know what a square wave sounds like

Yeah but those are analog square waves, maaaaaaaaan :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I went on a large audio setup 'training' course in which I learned nothing I didn't already know. The dudes there were suggesting that on loud audio systems (large PA) mp3s sound like garbage and only lossless will do. "Garbage in, garbage out" they repeated whilst playing noisy lossless recordings of badly recorded and mastered music.

I didn't have the heart to tell them they were clueless and that when you're playing poo poo that loud, the room you're in makes far more of a difference than that of a 320kbps mp3 and a flac.

Dude also totally didn't get what I meant when I asked about their sub placement which was under the tops, which 99% of the time is the worst possible place for them.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Newfangled Electronic "Music": (a furious scribble that stops halfway along the page due to arthritis)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

qirex posted:

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff:

These dudes listen to so much '70s rock, you think they'd know what a square wave sounds like

Are we not wave forms? We are DEVO!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mister Kingdom posted:

Are we not wave forms? We are DEVO!

Audiophile noodle maps are smooth, not stairstepped

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Wasabi the J posted:

Mobo noise is a bitch to eliminate in tight little integrated units, so yeah a little cheap USB DAC will definitely help.

http://amzn.com/B00OJ5AV8I

Something like that is usually enough to get rid of it.

qirex posted:

Question: Has anyone else noticed that the left and right audio channels are swapped?
Answer: I just tested and you are correct. Tested on Windows 8.1 with balance controls and with left/right test mp3's. It would seem that this product is fatally flawed.

If anyone was curious I just bought this last week and my audio channels were properly oriented.

Did have an issue though under Linux where going below ~25% volume would flat out mute the USB audio channel. Easily fixed though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same rules as the movie 'Speed' then, except this time it's a USB bus.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah but those are analog square waves, maaaaaaaaan :2bong:

Joke's on the peeps who think the pure original sound can survive any microphone in a recording studio.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 22, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BobHoward posted:

Audiophile noodle maps are smooth, not stairstepped

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Did you miss the joke?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BigFactory posted:

Did you miss the joke?

Yes.

Google is my friend! Now.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Yes let me pay $1200 for bookshelf speakers from a manufacturer too stupid/lazy to cut the front of the cabinets from the same slab of wood, or at the very least, match them against another piece even slightly similar. This is acceptable because it's real wood

:homebrew:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tuning bolts?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Isn't Real Wood(TM) worse acoustically since it has more uniform resonant modes?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah but it sounds so warm, and the audioscape is much deeper, right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Also gently caress companies making speakers out of $3 worth of MDF and lovely veneer. Garbage materials.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

KozmoNaut posted:

Tuning bolts?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The place I used to work used 5/8" or 3/4" thick Canadian MDF for speaker boxes. Unless you got a bad batch it was hard and would take machining and leave a hard edge. If it was crummy then it would be a bit softer and leave a fuzzy edge. Once we got a load of boxes made in China for some reason and they were made of 3/8" MDF that was so soft you could leave marks in it by hand, aside from the lovely workmanship they were made of garbage. MDF smells bad and makes dust that will kill you, but if you get the good stuff it's a great material for speaker boxes.
Also once we got a load of MDF that was made from corn stalks and when cut it smelled like french fries. :v:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Techmoan reviews the Gramavox vertical turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvcoci3QLEk

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

"...it works..."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
For $400, you'd think they could varnish all the wood and maybe not mangle the screwheads.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

spog posted:

For $400, you'd think they could varnish all the wood and maybe not mangle the screwheads.

I'm sure the varnish or stain would something, something, something, SOUND STAGE, something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
At least when he goes for something audiophiley, he admits that it's because he thinks it looks cool.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
He even says in the video that the only reason to get one of these is it's got a smaller footprint than a standard turntable. I guess I'm missing the audiophiliery part.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That would be cool if it hung on the wall like one of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz4AZqqOqcw

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's like an updated B&O CD player from the 90s! I used to drool over those at SoundAdvice before I knew any better.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Devil Tesla posted:

I used to have one of these

It's a Linear tracking turntable and this particular one can be mounted to a wall. I never had it in that configuration though.

I don't have that one anymore. I have a different linear tracker, a Technics SL-J33. It's not wall mountable nor is it playable in vertical orientation. But it looks cool and that's why I have it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VideoTapir posted:

At least when he goes for something audiophiley, he admits that it's because he thinks it looks cool.

It's a pretty fun channel, I'm guessing he makes enough off the videos to splurge on crap I kinda wanted as a kid but don't want cluttering up my house now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spog posted:

A small run, niche product like this at a $400 price point is absolutely using VERY cheap manufacturing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's been a while audiophile thread, what do we think of these? Remarkably cheap considering...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nura/nura-headphones-that-learn-and-adapt-to-your-uniqu?ref=video

quote:

Nura is a new headphone that integrates unique soundwave technology to automatically measure your hearing (from the outer ear all the way to the brain) and adapt music perfectly to you. In order for headphones to deliver the right sound, they must be matched to the listener.

How do you know what you’re missing? Audiophiles are skilled at the art, but this takes them years of experience.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Looks like it could be a real thing:

quote:

OAEs and hearing aid fittings.

The concept behind this lies in the ability of OAEs to identify regions of the cochlea with damage, which can assist in programming a hearing aid. When OAEs are absent, we assume hearing loss of greater than about 25 dB HL at the frequency where the emission is absent. In difficult to test patients, or any patient for which we cannot obtain audiometric threshold data, the absence of an OAE gives us some idea of hearing levels. In conjunction with ABR, we can use this data to program amplification for these patients. Absent OAEs in conjunction with audiometric thresholds of 70 dB HL or greater can be an indicator of a cochlear dead region, which in turn can influence the hearing aid selection and programming.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/otoacoustic-emissions-beyond-newborn-hearing-838

So it seems to make sense, but I'd argue that high quality components and two way system, the psychological effect of the calibration process and the weird fit would have more effect on the perceived sound quality than the correction by itself.

They're probably getting testimonials from people who've never used decent headphones too.

Would be interesting to get an example of a user's set of corrections and see just how much effect it's having.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 17, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

It's been a while audiophile thread, what do we think of these? Remarkably cheap considering...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nura/nura-headphones-that-learn-and-adapt-to-your-uniqu?ref=video

The physical device itself is completely pointless, an in-ear monitor can already provide much better deep bass than a conventional set of headphones.

If the doubled noise isolation is important, just use IEMs and a wear a conventional set of ear defenders over them.

Individual calibration is a good idea, but there's no reason to use a specific set of gimmicky headphones for that. Samsung has had an "adapt sound" feature on their phones for a while, you calibrate it by listening to a series of tones at different frequencies and identifying whether you hear them in your left or right ear or not at all. It actually works surprisingly well, so I imagine a more in-depth version of that should be able to increase perceived sound quality.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm intrigued to see what happens if the headphones decide you should be listening to a certain EQ and you don't like the EQ... "yeah but your ears and your brain WANT you to listen to it like this" Essentially they could force any old lovely EQ in, probably don't even have to have any electronics in them, if they adjust per user then each set is going to sound the same to you no matter what, right? You've no actual way of telling multiple pairs apart... Shroedinger's headphones, are they doing anything or not? How can you tell?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They could just pull a fast one and build in a simple treble boost.

"They sound so clear, I can hear so much detail that I couldn't hear before!"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That really wouldn't be a first in the world of Kickstarters.

So what can we market to make money then, chaps? I figure if other assholes can get $100k+, why not us assholes too?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It has to be something stupider than speaker cable towers, and that's probably peak stupid so far.

Something like "Passive disharmony absorbers", little passive devices you mount around your listening room that will absorb any disharmonic sounds and prevent them from being reflected. Obviously they would cost three-four figures each and for optimum sound quality you should have at least one per wall and one in the ceiling.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

It has to be something stupider than speaker cable towers, and that's probably peak stupid so far.

Something like "Passive disharmony absorbers", little passive devices you mount around your listening room that will absorb any disharmonic sounds and prevent them from being reflected. Obviously they would cost three-four figures each and for optimum sound quality you should have at least one per wall and one in the ceiling.

The audiophools are way ahead of ya:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:negative:

Speaking of snake oil (i.e. most of this thread), I recall there being an article a while back where someone bought one of those ridiculously expensive "power conditioners" and cut it open, revealing that it was literally nothing more than a cheap cable inside a fancy-looking block of wood. I've tried to google for it, but I can't find it any more. Does anyone know the article I'm talking about?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

They could just pull a fast one and build in a simple treble boost.

"They sound so clear, I can hear so much detail that I couldn't hear before!"

smiley face curve supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

smiley face curve supremacy

I am a fervent proponent of a properly implemented volume-dependent loudness function.

Boost the bass and treble (or cut the mids) at low volumes and gradually back off the EQ as the volume control is turned up, ending with a completely flat EQ at around 80dB SPL.

That's how it actually works in a lot of old-school stereo amps, but you have to turn up the volume way too far before the EQ is completely flat. But that's why the best vintage amps have mute functions to cut the signal by 15-30 dB. With my Akai AM-2600 on -30 dB mute, loudness on and bass dialed back two clicks, the loudness is absolutely perfect through my JBL 4410s.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 17, 2016