Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Khablam posted:

but this would imply everyone is poo poo

The AristocratsEve Online!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Despera posted:

Angelique was it really necessary to send me a screen shot on an error message of you trying to kick me from your Corp and a copy paste?

Hi Despera -- you still liking that alcoholica corp or whatever? Can you get them to take that cringy bullshit about drinking kool-aid out of your in-game title? I know it's silly but I have that quote of yours in my bio you see and I attributed you and so people click your name and see your title and think oh hey look this person is in a reddit corp.

If a single goon leaves for whatever reason there is this groupthink that this is somehow some cultural victory. No, sorry, still just a video game guys! :sun:

Hey Angelique I told you the grass isn't always greener on the other side and I really did mean that. Good luck to you and all but holy poo poo you are just napalming bridges on your way out and that's pants.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CainFortea posted:

I didn't say anything about getting rid of squads and neither did you. Just saying that random assignment of small groups now is pointless.

you're wrong but whatever

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I'm gonna come in on the "random assignment is dumb" side of things, for two reasons :

1) the player base is way older now, on average
2) god help the poor fucks who end up in a group with sothrasil or penif or DBRB or mittens or w/e

What I have thought about at times is making a small gang sig, which could be run one of two ways:

1) everyone in one sig, but no fleets bigger than X people allowed
2) the sig is subdivided into micro squads, you are given X pilots who will fly together, time to get gud

Both sound terrible in their own way honestly.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Despera posted:

Angelique was it really necessary to send me a screen shot on an error message of you trying to kick me from your Corp and a copy paste?

My corp?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ullerrm posted:

I'm gonna come in on the "random assignment is dumb" side of things, for two reasons :

2) god help the poor fucks who end up in a group with sothrasil or penif or DBRB or mittens or w/e

What I have thought about at times is making a small gang sig, which could be run one of two ways:

2) the sig is subdivided into micro squads, you are given X pilots who will fly together, time to get gud

One of the final ideas I had for Topgoon before Soth managed to get it gassed was as a zero-organization no-FCs squad which essentially had a few recommended fits and a deployment area as a playground in which almost anything goes and people get smashed down for trying to build little cults of personality. I guess it would be like a homeland defense standing fleet, except in someone else's space.

Could probably create a reasonably effective group by combining those two ideas.

(e. Soth shot the idea down because it wouldn't make him space famous)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Slightly less structured but this already exists.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TRAP HOUSE MOUSE posted:

Hi Despera -- you still liking that alcoholica corp or whatever? Can you get them to take that cringy bullshit about drinking kool-aid out of your in-game title? I know it's silly but I have that quote of yours in my bio you see and I attributed you and so people click your name and see your title and think oh hey look this person is in a reddit corp.

I

Yes, alcoholocaust. I should ask them to change it. The qoute isn't really specific to goons. I hope theta is doing well.

Imperial transcontinental logistics. Yes this was awhile ago but it was amusing to log on the character for the first time in months and get a bunch of angry mails from you.

Ursoph Haz
Jul 23, 2014

I returned to the game this week after a break for a year or so. I forgot how beautiful this game can be! Then I lost 300 mil of implants. DOH! I forgot how brutal it can be also lol.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Despera posted:

Imperial transcontinental logistics. Yes this was awhile ago but it was amusing to log on the character for the first time in months and get a bunch of angry mails from you.

What pilot?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zephyrine posted:

What pilot?

Despera Shi

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Despera posted:

Despera Shi

Has never been in ITL?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Who are you supposed to be again?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

One of the final ideas I had for Topgoon before Soth managed to get it gassed was as a zero-organization no-FCs squad which essentially had a few recommended fits and a deployment area as a playground in which almost anything goes and people get smashed down for trying to build little cults of personality. I guess it would be like a homeland defense standing fleet, except in someone else's space.

Could probably create a reasonably effective group by combining those two ideas.

(e. Soth shot the idea down because it wouldn't make him space famous)

I'm going to chime in on this because I'm still super salty about it all. We actually did that when I moved us into providence and it was fairly good. But more on Topgoon because it's my favorite topic to be really angry about.

Topgoon was fine doing what it was doing before Theadj gutted it, and then atrophied it by sending us to garbage regions. The only thing topgoon needed was more than one person who counted as adult supervision. Treph to a degree, but mostly Sothrasil and Guuldan were completely incapable of just having fun and killing nerds without doing something completely retarded, and getting in dick measuring contests with directors/FC's and generally causing hell. Someone absolutely had to be there to watch them like hawks. Guuldan literally had blackops drop on him because he was loving with their camp and I had to pause a movie I was watching with my girlfriend to deal with that. That's loving ridiculous.

Despite these awful loving people being the cause of 100% of my problems, Theadj laid the blame squarly on Trephs head (Mind you he had been gone for two weeks because he just had another hellspawn) and would not let me get rid of these loving misfits.

You want cult of personality bullshit? Soth is your loving man. That dude literally spent 3 hours crowing about how he had the keys to the FC channels and no one else did, because he was ~special~, he even had this long spiel about how he was more important than I was because he had those keys. Not realizing that Theadj had passed me those selfsame keys long before, amongst other things, but to me it was just a tool in my bag should I need it, not some ~thing~ to be lorded over my fellow pilots.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zephyrine posted:

Has never been in ITL?

Check coffee vanilla

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flanders is down, and he's smarter than both of us.

You can't make people engage. Mittens hasn't pinged any social swarms in a while though, some more of that might be good.

Ullerrm, your small gang squad would work better I think if instead of some arbitrary rule about gang size, it was understood by everyone in it that gangs don't have to accept everyone. They can just go "nope we're good start your own" and no hard feelings and poo poo.

Cause one man's small gang is another's microgang

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 7, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Despera posted:

Check coffee vanilla

Found the mails. You applied while holding roles and so could not be accepted. And then when you re-applied two days later, you could again not be accepted because you held the same roles.

First time I copied the text. Second time I screenshotted the error message.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Dude you made a post

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Cain whoever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm going to chime in on this because I'm still super salty about it all. We actually did that when I moved us into providence and it was fairly good. But more on Topgoon because it's my favorite topic to be really angry about.

Topgoon was fine doing what it was doing before Theadj gutted it, and then atrophied it by sending us to garbage regions. The only thing topgoon needed was more than one person who counted as adult supervision. Treph to a degree, but mostly Sothrasil and Guuldan were completely incapable of just having fun and killing nerds without doing something completely retarded, and getting in dick measuring contests with directors/FC's and generally causing hell. Someone absolutely had to be there to watch them like hawks. Guuldan literally had blackops drop on him because he was loving with their camp and I had to pause a movie I was watching with my girlfriend to deal with that. That's loving ridiculous.

Despite these awful loving people being the cause of 100% of my problems, Theadj laid the blame squarly on Trephs head (Mind you he had been gone for two weeks because he just had another hellspawn) and would not let me get rid of these loving misfits.

You want cult of personality bullshit? Soth is your loving man. That dude literally spent 3 hours crowing about how he had the keys to the FC channels and no one else did, because he was ~special~, he even had this long spiel about how he was more important than I was because he had those keys. Not realizing that Theadj had passed me those selfsame keys long before, amongst other things, but to me it was just a tool in my bag should I need it, not some ~thing~ to be lorded over my fellow pilots.

I know. Our provi times is what gave me the idea. After my overhaul Topgoon would have consisted of a jabber channel with a "Staging is Nakah. Get in comms if you are running or looking for a fleet" type of MOTD and a forum with a bunch of stickies that essentially read "Here are basic skills for newbees. Don't be a bad." Everything else (except the shitposting thread) would have been deleted.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Hey, while you're posting here -- holy poo poo dagronstalking, what is this T2 invuln, heavy neut poo poo? You could have PMed me and I'd have given you a pair of C-type invulns so you could at least tank one measly DD. Hell, my Phoenix could tank two pre-nerf DDs, much less the current nerfed garbage.

For the record, what I'm running atm (I'm not the happiest with it, but I haven't seen much better yet):

quote:

[Phoenix, Nam asb semipimp]

IFFA Compact Damage Control
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Pro-Nav Compact Missile Guidance Enhancer

Capital Ancillary Shield Booster
Pith A-Type EM Ward Field
Pith A-Type Thermal Dissipation Field
Pith A-Type Kinetic Deflection Field
Pith A-Type Explosive Deflection Field
Pithum C-Type Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Capital F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

CONCORD XL Torpedo Launcher, Guristas Scourge XL Torpedo
Siege Module II
Capital Energy Neutralizer II

Capital Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I
Capital Core Defense Field Extender I
Capital Core Defense Field Extender I

It'd be better if I could find a compact capital neut, but they're stupid expensive atm, so I built a T2 using my industrial alt and compensated for the extra CPU using all the A-type / named poo poo. As soon as I can find a compact neut, I'll bump up the hardeners to X-type and the suitcase to T2.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 7, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hole Squad does lots of small gang with random FC's :shobon:

We just roamed a hellbubbled region for a few hours. Also it's cool that CCP has the new Drifters randomly great you on wormholes.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

ullerrm posted:

Hey, while you're posting here -- holy poo poo Despera, what is this T2 invuln, heavy neut poo poo? You could have PMed me and I'd have given you a pair of C-type invulns so you could at least tank one measly DD. Hell, my Phoenix could tank two pre-nerf DDs, much less the current nerfed garbage.

For the record, what I'm running atm (I'm not the happiest with it, but I haven't seen much better yet):

It'd be better if I could find a compact capital neut, but they're stupid expensive atm, so I built a T2 using my industrial alt and compensated for the extra CPU using all the A-type / named poo poo. As soon as I can find a compact neut, I'll bump up the hardeners to X-type and the suitcase to T2.

Despera went to test though. That can't be his phoenix.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ullerrm posted:

Hey, while you're posting here -- holy poo poo Despera, what is this T2 invuln, heavy neut poo poo? You could have PMed me and I'd have given you a pair of C-type invulns so you could at least tank one measly DD. Hell, my Phoenix could tank two pre-nerf DDs, much less the current nerfed garbage.

Why you think that guy is me?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Venom Snake posted:

Hole Squad does lots of small gang with random FC's :shobon:

We just roamed a hellbubbled region for a few hours. Also it's cool that CCP has the new Drifters randomly great you on wormholes.

Tell me more about your role play

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My apologies Angelique if that's the case

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Or are you going to cry again

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i dont think you understand people very well because I mean FORCED grouping, people who lurk are still lost in the crowd

last time I played I worked third shift US EST so I was effectively forced into ANZAC squad and it seemed like there were less than 10 of us. Said oval office a lot, made a lot of sheep jokes, it worked out

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Despera posted:

Why you think that guy is me?

Different Despera, so to speak. That's dragonstalking.

(Who knows, maybe you're a parachute, you both make really terrible posts)

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

CainFortea posted:

It's still the biggest Goon group. I guess it depends on why you felt lost on a crowd. If it was because jabber channels scroll fast cause there's a poo poo ton of people talking, then you might still feel that way. There are smaller groups specifically to combat this problem, so if you never got into SIG's or squads your previous attempt, you can try that.

If you felt lost just because there was a poo poo ton of dudes, not much can be done to make that feeling any less. We are a big group and have lots of people in the coalition.

If small groups of goons is your fancy, check the groon thread.

As far as Darius JOHNSON'S group goes, I'll just say he posts much more on Reddit than SA while talking about how goony goony he is.

Check all the threads in PGS for more details.

I considered joining several sig, but I wasn't exactly sure about either what they actualy did or if I was going to enjoy it. Also I was far away from having the skills to fly most of the stuff.

It has been a few years already, but I remember logging in stuck who the hell knows where in 0.0, with no ship to fly since I just podjumped there or any idea on where to buy it, and asking somewhere (I think there was a channel for that) for a noob frig a few times and logging out after getting no replies. After that I just went to play other games and forgot about eve.

That said, I'm sure it's not all the system's fault, my attention spam is notoriously small.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ullerrm posted:

Different Despera, so to speak. That's dragonstalking.

(Who knows, maybe you're a parachute, you both make really terrible posts)

Yeah I guess everyone you don't like is the same pilot.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Despera posted:

Yeah I guess everyone you don't like is the same pilot.

D-names are all the same :black101: But yeah, Dainiel = dragonstalking. Apologies.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 7, 2016

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Now every timesomeone commits insurance fraud Flanders is going to lecture me about the fit?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Despera posted:

Now every timesomeone commits insurance fraud Flanders is going to lecture me about the fit?

Insurance fraud ships should be unfit, it partly defeats the point of insurance fraud if you're needlessly throwing away perfectly good modules :colbert:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ullerrm posted:

Insurance fraud ships should be unfit, it partly defeats the point of insurance fraud if you're needlessly throwing away perfectly good modules :colbert:

Selling capital mods is almost as annoying as selling the ship and never doubt someone's ability to be lazy.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
test insurance frauds fit hulls because they mined the mins themselves so it's all cash money son

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ullerrm posted:

One idea I thought of a while back was the solo/micro-gang summer house - pick a random staging system off away from the north-west, set up a cache of fitted ships and just have goons who are bored of fleet stuff clone over there and derp around lowsec learning how to do Elite Pee Vee Pee with peacetime reimbursement but without the structured FC handholding. I was going to put it forward as a possible way to revive EG (rip) but :effort:

Obviously there's other things going on now which take priority.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Test is using maelstroms? Sweet something I like flying

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
OK, so I have the game, an account, and a character. I followed the tutorial around until it told me to find cosmic anomaly(which I don't know how to do), and buy a probe gun (which I don't seem to have the cash for). So, now what do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hagop posted:

OK, so I have the game, an account, and a character. I followed the tutorial around until it told me to find cosmic anomaly(which I don't know how to do), and buy a probe gun (which I don't seem to have the cash for). So, now what do I do?

Say gently caress exploration (at least till you understand the game better) and shoot poo poo with the military career dude.

• Locked thread