Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

MrSlam posted:

Even though I'm going for a mustache-twirling villain, I don't think I could bring myself to destroy the community center. An orphanage maybe, but not the community center. I'll be an Al Swearengen type who brings people together with my horrible deeds. Besides, I want to be the industrial powerhouse the townsfolk rely on; Jojo Mart's just another competitor.

Speaking of which, which bachelorette would be the best bride for a villain? Maru? Haley? Abigail? Sebastian in an evening gown?

I'd say a real villain would go for Haley and then treat her like absolute poo poo the second her looks start to fade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Disgusting Coward posted:

Man is there any point whatsoever to a slime hutch?
I guess if you want iridium but you don't want to go to the skull cave or make your grandpa's ghost proud, it might be worth the effort? Apparently you can breed large quantities of iridium-dropping purple slimes in there if you put in some effort.

...honestly, it doesn't make any sense to me, either. Maybe it's some pure, bloody-minded completionist impulse at work, or maybe some people just like having a stone bunker on their property full of homicidal blobbies. You can do whatever you want in life.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I was hoping I could at least sell the Slime Eggs, but if I'm just raising these things to slaughter them maybe that still fits the Dan Backslide atmosphere I'm going for.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is a terrible idea, because it will only make it way more annoying for people like me who can't help but to min/max some poo poo. You created a scenario where 'optimal play' is to never use the box at all.

That makes it an excellent idea in my book.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I can get about 20 Crystalariums up and running, even more if I buy a bunch of gold from Clint...or is there a best way to farm gold?

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
I dunno if there's a bug or what, but I totally just fertilized my garlic *after* it was planted. Sweet.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Buttflakes posted:

I dunno if there's a bug or what, but I totally just fertilized my garlic *after* it was planted. Sweet.

I've been able to do that with deluxe speed gro as well. Not sure why.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I can get about 20 Crystalariums up and running, even more if I buy a bunch of gold from Clint...or is there a best way to farm gold?

Like, actual gold? Just go into the mines at level 80+

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How do you have enough iridium for 20 crystalariums and not enough gold

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I've been able to do that with deluxe speed gro as well. Not sure why.

Yeah, it was Deluxe Speed Grow for me too. Mighty convenient!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The White Dragon posted:

How do you have enough iridium for 20 crystalariums and not enough gold

Iridium is way easier to come by than gold at a certain point, I'm constantly short on gold but I've got 70 iridium bars socked away and hundreds of ore

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Iridium is way easier to come by than gold at a certain point, I'm constantly short on gold but I've got 70 iridium bars socked away and hundreds of ore

I have 120 something Iridium bars but I sucked up a lot of gold ore making Mega bombs when I had less money. Crystalariums need 5 Gold bars but 2 Iridium. I have 100 gold bars, but I'm trying to figure out if spelunking and using purchased bombs will be more cost effective than just buying the 5 Gold bars from Clint at $10K.

$10K = 10 Bombs. Will that get me 25 Ore? I don't really think so. Also I'd have to take into account the time, meals I'd eat, etc. I came back from my last trip where I went through 80 mega bombs in the skull cavern with 76 ore.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 5, 2016

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BrainMeats posted:

You could marry Penny and deny her children of her own. That seems pretty villainous.

Nah, a villain wouldn't marry Penny.

That's not to say he wouldn't build her hopes up, though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

WarpedNaba posted:

Nah, a villain wouldn't marry Penny.

That's not to say he wouldn't build her hopes up, though.

What situation is THAT from?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably turning her down

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zephyrine posted:

One could but it still really sucks to spend 1-2 seasons manually watering that much.

The obvious solution is to not plant more crops than you feel like watering.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Voyager I posted:

but what if i feel like watering enough cranberries to break a mil in fall 1

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Voyager I posted:

Oh I would but crops is the only way to level farming which unlucks all of the money stuff, including sprinklers. Otherwise I would have tried for an "animal only" play through.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Baron Clyde update

Halfway through my first season. I only plant whatever seeds I'm given plus the minimum amount I need to make the ghost-blob-fairies in the community center appeased.

I've cleared about half my land and made it to level 30 in the mines. I'm feeling the financial burn that comes with not planting crops, but the amount of copper I'm pulling in will all be worth it. And that plus combing the beach everyday netted me 10+ donations to the museum. So far, I'm a force for good.

Bamboo poles are for suckers though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

MrSlam posted:

Baron Clyde update

Halfway through my first season. I only plant whatever seeds I'm given plus the minimum amount I need to make the ghost-blob-fairies in the community center appeased.

I've cleared about half my land and made it to level 30 in the mines. I'm feeling the financial burn that comes with not planting crops, but the amount of copper I'm pulling in will all be worth it. And that plus combing the beach everyday netted me 10+ donations to the museum. So far, I'm a force for good.

Bamboo poles are for suckers though.

Wouldn't the Baron work with jojo-mart?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

Wouldn't the Baron work with jojo-mart?

MrSlam posted:

Even though I'm going for a mustache-twirling villain, I don't think I could bring myself to destroy the community center. An orphanage maybe, but not the community center. I'll be an Al Swearengen type who brings people together with my horrible deeds. Besides, I want to be the industrial powerhouse the townsfolk rely on; Jojo Mart's just another competitor.

The end goal is to have the farmland filled with machines and industrial equipment. Even though I use the term "villain" I really mean to say robber-baron. I want to use the game's mechanics to "win" while consciously missing the point of the cozy farming simulator.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

MrSlam posted:

The end goal is to have the farmland filled with machines and industrial equipment. Even though I use the term "villain" I really mean to say robber-baron. I want to use the game's mechanics to "win" while consciously missing the point of the cozy farming simulator.

I believe you mean to say industrialist. Plus, no self-respecting person as such would be caught dead returning to bow their head to their once corporate masters.

There should be an ending where the player blows up the farm rather than let it be taken over by JoJa.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'm finding the spelunking part more fun than the farming sim, so I'll probably trash my farm and fill it up with diamond generators or something.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I don't need money for anything but I'm not ready to tackle Skull runs yet so time to demolish everything on my farm and rebuild it pretty.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Disgusting Coward posted:

Man is there any point whatsoever to a slime hutch?

I looked it up, and the payoff seems to be

1. Rare item drops
2. Sell off standard Adventurer drops to Marlon
3. Increase experience for Adventurer's Guild/Skull Cave

It kind of feels like there was cut content there or something. Like 1000 Slimes = [Unimplemented Game Element]. I'd be into a Monster Rancher/Harvest Moon hybrid.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I went through the skull cavern on a lucky day on a stair less run.

Probably went through about 80,000 in bombs to get 70 copper ore, 37 Iridium, 6 Iron, one prismatic shard, and 49 gold ore (almost enough gold ore for two crystalariums).

I think buying ore from Clint is going to be the way to go for my crystalarium farm.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So I went through the skull cavern on a lucky day on a stair less run.

Probably went through about 80,000 in bombs to get 70 copper ore, 37 Iridium, 6 Iron, one prismatic shard, and 49 gold ore (almost enough gold ore for two crystalariums).

I think buying ore from Clint is going to be the way to go for my crystalarium farm.

I spent something like 250.000 gold on ores and coal to build 100 crab pots before I remembered that Willy sold them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alright I processed nearly 300 omni geodes in one go so you don't have to.

Luck has no bearing on the drops, mind you. So I sold off all the minerals that came out (no diamonds, emeralds, rubies, topaz, or amethyst came out)
And I ended up with:
128 Stone
15 Clay
77 Iron ore
24 Iridium ore
59 Gold ore
54 Copper ore
43 Coal
2 Prismatic Shards.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I remember when getting clay and coal out of a Geode felt like a bad thing.

Then later on it's like Yay clay!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I read you could submit two of the same-color egg for the animal bundle but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there something special I need to do or is it something that got fixed in a patch or something? Gonna be so much fun trying to go for a brown chicken...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I read you could submit two of the same-color egg for the animal bundle but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there something special I need to do or is it something that got fixed in a patch or something? Gonna be so much fun trying to go for a brown chicken...

You can submit one large brown and one large white, but they replace each other. It never counted for two items.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

Then later on it's like Yay clay!

I feel like a fool for selling 25 clay when I first started. Someone online said that you when you dig up a worm tile that has clay in it, you can cover it up with the pickaxe and dig it up again for more clay. They must've patched it because that's never happened to me.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MrSlam posted:

I feel like a fool for selling 25 clay when I first started. Someone online said that you when you dig up a worm tile that has clay in it, you can cover it up with the pickaxe and dig it up again for more clay. They must've patched it because that's never happened to me.

It used to be that when you dug up something from the ground, covering it up with the pickaxe and digging the same spot up again would yield the same item (at least for snow yams which I tried it on) . It got patched so that now the result is randomized. You might get the same item, but you might also just get nothing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

MrSlam posted:

That got patched in in the second or third week along with using the axe to get infinity fences.

CA is good about getting rid of beneficial exploits like planting trees in the stone in the greenhouse. The only day one glitch I don't think he's fixed is Stopped-Time Fishing:
1. Cast your line.
2. With mouse: click on Quest button located in the top right corner. "!"
3. Clock will stop, but you will be fishing in the background.
4. When the "hooked fish" audio plays, click the X in the top-right corner of the quest page box and then click again to pull up the fish.

This makes it so that time only passes when you're casting, the fish reeling in animation plays, or the opening of a treasure box, allows you to get 2X to 3X more casts a day if you have the energy for it.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Mega64 posted:

It worked for me but I had to save the second egg as the last thing to go in, otherwise the first egg would overwrite it as soon as I left. This was on an old build though so ymmv

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it definitely worked on an early build but he fixed it in a patch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Makes sense. Welp, gonna be a little longer for that greenhouse, then.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Me @ Clint: Dude just talk to her about crystals she loving loves crystals she's one of those new age hippie chicks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh jesus loving christ just burn down the internet already:

The Debate Over A Stardew Valley Mod That Lets You Marry A Child

quote:

A mod that lets you marry a child in popular farming game Stardew Valley started as a joke, according to its creator, but it’s now spurring a familiar debate about what it means to depict morally reprehensible behaviors virtually.

quote:

Watching a Let’s Play of it (TW: child abuse), that part made me sick to the stomach. The kiss and the connotations arising from it were just too much, even with tiny virtual sprite characters and a big ol’ NO SEX sign in the window.

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I want to vicariously pretend-marry a series of ones and zeroes that represent a virtual horse and whatever sequences occur during the milliseconds that represent nighttime in this virtual world is no one's business but our own :colbert:

edit: if you go to the Stardew mod database and search for "marriage" over half the results are about Jas :stare: I thought there'd be more variety like importing characters but nope. All Jas all the time.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 7, 2016