Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Today I learned that Aldrich can fire off soul spears, and not just arrow rain infinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RBA Starblade posted:

Today I learned that Aldrich can fire off soul spears, and not just arrow rain infinitely.

That arrow rain is such bullshit. I almost was killed by it AFTER he died.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love the arrow rain because it's cinematic, and dodging it makes me feel like Guts or JoJo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've heard that rosaria won't break sirris' quest so long as you use her covenant symbol whenever you hand something in or respec. dunno for sure tho

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
faith build rules against aldrich as you have vow of silence and that mirror light spell that stop and deflect all of his spells (even the arrow rain)

if anyone want easy ears just start a new file and go level 21 blue sentinel with a +2 weapon. I'm up to 17 ears even though I lose 40% of the time because I went all in on 25 strength to two-hand weapons so I just get stun-locked to hell. You can farm up wolf grass while you wait to get summoned. I even got up to Irythrill with my +2 great club, but killing the boss there is a huge pain in the rear end.

Does anyone know whether the NPC invasion near the distant manor bonfire of Alva counts as Irythrill or for the dungeon? It took me forever to kill Creighton twice with my lack of damage and I'm having trouble knocking him off the cliff

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Is there any point at all in equipping Rosaria's covenant, since you can get pale tongues without it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not breaking the sirris quest, assuming that is actually true and not hearsay

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Somebody's trolling you, equipping the covenant item is one of the ways to break the quest.

e: Equipping the covenant or offering a tongue will break the quest. Respeccing or Altering Appearance shouldn't do so anymore.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's from one of the wikis

Dark Souls wiki posted:

You can have a respec/rebirth or even equip the finger's covenant item safely as long as you dont use a tongue to to raise the covenant level. Though she may disappear sometimes from firelink Shrine, her summon sign will be at the bridge and you can continue her quest. You can kill the pontiff too before summoning her, it does not make any effect. (Tested)

so I remembered it a little wrong, but you can at least equip it according to this (assuming it's right, because I'm pretty sure this said something else last time I looked)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Is there a purpose to Lothric castle, or the consumed kings garden? Because holy gently caress I thought Lothric Knights were bad, but they all get buffed by a stupid cleric.

Also where the gently caress are titanite chunks?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Yeah, you're right. I broke it once by equipping the item but that must've been just before the patch. So handing in a tongue is the only way to break it now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Is there a purpose to Lothric castle, or the consumed kings garden? Because holy gently caress I thought Lothric Knights were bad, but they all get buffed by a stupid cleric.

lothric knights can drop them :v: also you can beeline for the clerics and kill them before they get the buff off

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I'm very sad about Leonhard's quest. It hasn't triggered for me on any of my playthroughs so far. It's unfortunate that a miracle is locked behind it, so I may not be able to get the Dark Soul this time around. Not for lack of trying, though! There's one more NG cycle to get all of the stupid +2 rings, so I guess I can hope it happens during that run.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
How do you even beat somebody with the Wolf sword and parry dagger? That attack is so unusual and it doesn't even cost FP to use!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

I thought you asked your wife to hide the game from you.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

How do you even beat somebody with the Wolf sword and parry dagger? That attack is so unusual and it doesn't even cost FP to use!

The tell is really obvious once you recognize it and you can go up and hit them right after yiou dodge their spin to win.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 7, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just once in DS3 I would like to spend the first half of an invasion being able to actually harm the invader, and for my phantoms to not suicide charge into a thousand enemies trying to hit him for me. Having bleed, the entire point of this build, trigger ever on a player would be great too.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Just once in DS3 I would like to spend the first half of an invasion being able to actually harm the invader, and for my phantoms to not suicide charge into a thousand enemies trying to hit him for me.

If its 3v1 you've no right to complain :p

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I thought you asked your wife to hide the game from you.

She got hooked too

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

The lawnmower move has short range around the pivot point. If you have a decent range weapon (spear, great hammer, great axe, UGS, washingpole, or even the greatsword strong attack poke) you can stand outside the swipe and just hit them. As long as you keep some distance between yourself and the other guy the initial lunge isn't going to catch you either. If they do the overhead smash follow up you get a free backstab essentially since the wind up takes forever and the recovery even longer.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

net cafe scandal posted:

The tell is really obvious once you recognize it and you can go up and hit them right after yiou dodge their spin to win.

My problem I guess was I tried to run away completely when i saw the animation. Turning around and running while locked on I mean. Nowhere near as effective in this game than in 2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Parry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

I'm very sad about Leonhard's quest. It hasn't triggered for me on any of my playthroughs so far. It's unfortunate that a miracle is locked behind it, so I may not be able to get the Dark Soul this time around. Not for lack of trying, though! There's one more NG cycle to get all of the stupid +2 rings, so I guess I can hope it happens during that run.

wait... you need the +2 rings for the trophy? nnnnnoooooo

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Just once in DS3 I would like to spend the first half of an invasion being able to actually harm the invader, and for my phantoms to not suicide charge into a thousand enemies trying to hit him for me.

Sounds like you have it rough.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah. I'm not sure if I want to get every steam achievement this time with that, especially since some of the drat spells are under covenants that don't work. (serious From, 2 times with the blue cops)

Wish they took a page from 2 and just have it unlock with a merchant in NG plus 2 or 3.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Manatee Cannon posted:

wait... you need the +2 rings for the trophy? nnnnnoooooo

They have to get people to play through this game's anemic new game plus somehow, I suppose.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

sector_corrector posted:

I love the arrow rain because it's cinematic, and dodging it makes me feel like Guts or JoJo.

Agreed. It's a visually cool thing that puts you into a different rhythm than the usual dynamics of a fight in these games. Feels like something out of a bullet hell.

Honestly, Aldrich might be my favorite boss in this entire series. Not only is it fun and hard in every good way, but it brings the themes together in just this perfect moment of storytelling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

If its 3v1 you've no right to complain :p

It's more that they keep aiming straight for the red eyes, you idiots. :v:

quote:

Sounds like you have it rough.

When I used dried fingers it just straight didn't let me hurt the invaders. Happened to a couple friends of mine too.

I hate pvp in DS3. :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure if I want to get every steam achievement this time with that, especially since some of the drat spells are under covenants that don't work. (serious From, 2 times with the blue cops)

Wish they took a page from 2 and just have it unlock with a merchant in NG plus 2 or 3.

Excuse me I have had a cop arrive in my world before, proving that the covenant works flawlessly for everyone all the time.

I have had the covenant on for half the game with 0 hits

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Digirat posted:

Excuse me I have had a cop arrive in my world before, proving that the covenant works flawlessly for everyone all the time.

I've stopped seeing them for some reason.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
ugh... I just can't do it! Does anyone have slider values for making a good patches look-alike? I tried working from reference screenshots and I'm just no good at this. I can't get the nose angle at that perfect wedge shape he has, and I've had absolutely no luck creating his wide but completely flat jaw.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK6Jwzs_HdQ

Had this happen today, had a good Dark Souls related laugh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I noticed you can't actually block anything Lothric (Lorian? the big one) does before. I always dodged it.

e: Also man luck builds really kind of fizzle out by the end. With carthus rouge on I never bled a boss past the second half of the game except Oceiros.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 7, 2016

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Is there a way to look up the steam user name of a person you summoned?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

If it was recent you can figure it out from the Steam interface. View -> Players

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I noticed you can't actually block anything Lothric (Lorian? the big one) does before. I always dodged it.

e: Also man luck builds really kind of fizzle out by the end. With carthus rouge on I never bled a boss past the second half of the game except Oceiros.

?
You can totally block his attacks, although with the teleports the angle might be tricky, and he also has a fire component to his attacks so you'll want a shield with good fire resist (ie. Dragoncrest) and a fire stoneplate ring.

e; Does he have a grab? You can't block those, in any case. Like Nameless'.

Not related to anything, but I love how if you stagger the Dragonslayer Armour, it looks like you can go for a visceral, but actually he's winding up a 'back the gently caress off' desperation swing. It's a nice trick.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 7, 2016

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Domattee posted:

If it was recent you can figure it out from the Steam interface. View -> Players

Thank you, large parts of steam are a mystery to me.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's sad that there's no green phantom, ruining the possibility of a perfect phantom rainbow: Normal invader, sunbro invader, sunbro, (no green), bluecop, forest/aldrich, mad purples.

Forest invaders should have been green IMO.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fargin Icehole posted:

If all they do is spam the stupid spin, then parry. Get up in their face and as soon as they try to do the spin you can parry it. Doing that once or twice will scare most people out of spamming it so you can actually fight them properly without having to worry about that idiotic move.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BillmasterCozb posted:

:allbuttons: Purple bros and bell bros are/were the best

That emote, what in the actual literal gently caress.