Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

snoremac posted:

Oh, that's lame. I wouldn't have minded getting invaded a couple of times. I'm up to Aldia's Keep with no bites, despite seeing players' sprites just about everywhere. Maybe most of them are in NG+.
The effect is just for the area the boss is in, so unless there are multiple bosses to a level (e.g. Last Giant and Pursuer), you only miss out on invasions if you hang around in already beaten areas. Which, to be fair, probably happens a lot because exploration. Otoh even if you're nullifying diligently, you probably won't get invaded anyway. Nobody invades in DS2, it's just so pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there a particular area where people hang out for PvP like with Darkroot Garden in Dark Souls?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

snoremac posted:

Is there a particular area where people hang out for PvP like with Darkroot Garden in Dark Souls?

Iron Keep bridge is pretty popular and there's always bellbroing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can get rid of the human effigy effect after killing a boss if you don't want it so it's just a more voluntary (if kinda janky) way of giving you protection in an area where the boss is dead like in dark souls 1

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Soul Reaver posted:

I've never liked rapiers that much becasue I don't like having only thrusting attacks - I love how longswords can easily do both swings and thrusts.

Velka's has two-hit V-shaped slashes for its R2s, so it's not all thrusts.

Thrust attacks are really good, though, which makes up for thrusting swords' lack of variety..

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Digirat posted:

You can get rid of the human effigy effect after killing a boss if you don't want it so it's just a more voluntary (if kinda janky) way of giving you protection in an area where the boss is dead like in dark souls 1

Unfortunately it didn't seem to effect anything. Nobody's invading these days :(.

New issue: I was finishing off odds and ends before tackling the DLC for the first time and consumed the giant souls literally before deciding to kill Vendrick. It looks like it would take forever to kill him at the rate I'm chipping away. The best thing I've managed is to use the notched whip to shave off 200 bleeding damage every 5 hits, but it's still very little. Is there anything else I can do that'll improve things? I'm willing to kill Ancient Dragon if it'll turn 200 bleeding damage into 400, but not if it'll only take my whip attacks from 3 to 6. Also, is it necessary to kill Vendrick for storyline reasons in the DLC? A wiki I read said yes, but it was so poorly written that I'm not sure.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

snoremac posted:

Unfortunately it didn't seem to effect anything. Nobody's invading these days :(.

New issue: I was finishing off odds and ends before tackling the DLC for the first time and consumed the giant souls literally before deciding to kill Vendrick. It looks like it would take forever to kill him at the rate I'm chipping away. The best thing I've managed is to use the notched whip to shave off 200 bleeding damage every 5 hits, but it's still very little. Is there anything else I can do that'll improve things? I'm willing to kill Ancient Dragon if it'll turn 200 bleeding damage into 400, but not if it'll only take my whip attacks from 3 to 6. Also, is it necessary to kill Vendrick for storyline reasons in the DLC? A wiki I read said yes, but it was so poorly written that I'm not sure.
It's necessary to kill Vendrick if you want access to the alternate ending that the flaming tree person (I forget if the game names him yet) has been talking about. In addition you'll be able to see just a bit more lore, including the resolution that wraps up the DLC and gives you moksha.

Hence, if you do want those, then be sure to kill Vendrick before the final boss. (It should be obvious once you've reached them.)

VV I mean Nashandra. Plus the DLC doesn't strictly speaking have a final boss, even though it does have a last boss by virtue of splitting it into three parts.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 7, 2016

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Do you mean Nashandra or the DLC's final boss?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

snoremac posted:

You need to kill Vendrick to get Vendrick's blessing, which is a fairly neat story related thing and is required for the SotFS boss fight/ending. I think the only other benefits are that you get his gear and his soul. Maybe you get some different dialog from that grave warden npc.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Can't you use a bonfire ascetic in the black gulch and kill the giants over and over? Best way to kill those guys anyway is to run to the safe spot and pelt them with bows till they drop.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Finally got the full Havel set and Dragon tooth because I'm so original, and the first thing that happens is PvP with a guy who forgeos killing me for melting my gear with mist. Managed to end things early (:suicide:) but my precious rings are all mush now :argh:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Can't you use a bonfire ascetic in the black gulch and kill the giants over and over? Best way to kill those guys anyway is to run to the safe spot and pelt them with bows till they drop.

Thanks for the idea, but I just tried it and they don't drop the soul again.

Darklurker is a crazy tense fight I've never come across before, probably my favourite non-DLC boss. I'm glad it only took me a few tries because it's really annoying having to clear out the Dark Chasm to access the boss room. How unnecessarily dickish.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
unnecessarily dickish applies to most of ds2

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Tirranek posted:

Finally got the full Havel set and Dragon tooth because I'm so original, and the first thing that happens is PvP with a guy who forgeos killing me for melting my gear with mist. Managed to end things early (:suicide:) but my precious rings are all mush now :argh:

I'm guessing it's unlikely if you've only just got the armor, but have you got most of the way through the first area in the Sunken King DLC yet, or have the stats/courage to make it through? If yes, you can get your stuff repaired for free at the Pagan Tree. Makes for a fun sidequest and gives you a tempting method for repairing the Soul Protection/Life Protection rings without having to pay for them.

The first area isn't TOO bad if you take it slow, pull enemies one by one, and are fast enough to pull off some backstabbing. Just don't rely on staggering to beat them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can stagger them easily with the stone ring and a fast hitting weapon or, if you are using a big one, just pancake them. There is no reason to not use the Estoc with a STR build since it scales with str unlike in the other souls games where is a dex weapon. I miss that on DS3 as ALL trusting weapons scale with dex or quality builds and you need a heavy stone infusion to make them decent for a str user.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've been replaying the previous games now that I've played 3 through, and wow does DS2 still feel the worst of the lot. There's that tiny delay on everything, and the way you can't chain R2 to R1 and vice versa, the long recovery time after swinging before you can roll, the delay before a parry that makes the timing so hard to get consistent, etc.

Even though 3 is much faster than 1 they both feel much more responsive than 2. I'm still playing on the original version, though, but I'm guessing SotFS probably doesn't do anything to change that stiff, unresponsive feeling.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Guillermus posted:

You can stagger them easily with the stone ring and a fast hitting weapon or, if you are using a big one, just pancake them. There is no reason to not use the Estoc with a STR build since it scales with str unlike in the other souls games where is a dex weapon. I miss that on DS3 as ALL trusting weapons scale with dex or quality builds and you need a heavy stone infusion to make them decent for a str user.

I was using the Stone Ring and it always took two hits to stagger them with the Sun Sword - which was just that TEENY bit too slow depending on what strikes they decide to use. I'm using the Watcher Greatsword at the moment (at recommendation from this thread) but I'm through the area so not sure if that staggers with one hit or not (I'm guessing not).

They're super easy to backstab though.

Incidentally, I'm high SL at the moment with 40 St, 40 Dex and 64 Int, so the Watcher Greatsword works pretty good for me. I especially like the range of the one handed slashes and thrusts. Only problem is my low Vit makes the extra weight (over the Sun Sword) noticable, but I think I'm sticking with this one for a while. Also it's cool being able to buff it up without needing to hold my staff in my shield hand (for some reason I really hate doing that).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've been replaying the previous games now that I've played 3 through, and wow does DS2 still feel the worst of the lot. There's that tiny delay on everything, and the way you can't chain R2 to R1 and vice versa, the long recovery time after swinging before you can roll, the delay before a parry that makes the timing so hard to get consistent, etc.

Even though 3 is much faster than 1 they both feel much more responsive than 2. I'm still playing on the original version, though, but I'm guessing SotFS probably doesn't do anything to change that stiff, unresponsive feeling.

FWIW there is a delay on parrying in dark souls 3 too.

I actually feel like 2 has the best controls. It's pretty much a subjective thing and just about what feels right to you. But in dark souls 3 I feel like I am constantly battling the controls due to the godawful input queueing in that game, its tendency to make me do kicks mid-combo when I don't want to, and other problems. Sometimes the lovely input queueing starts me on a train where it makes me do the wrong thing once, and then just starts queueing up everything from there as I try to react to previous unintended actions and the enemy's movements at the same time until it's made me do 4 or 5 random rolls or swings in a row that I didn't want to do. Never had that problem with another souls game or bloodborne.

Maybe if I went back through the games I would notice problems that I'm forgetting though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The queuing, I'll grant you, that's annoying. But still, after playing 3 and going back to 1 again I expected that to feel slow and clunky, but it really didn't. It is definitely slower, but everything else in the world is paced to match, so it doesn't feel off. DS2 just feels like all my inputs are bouncing off a satellite and then back to my game. Like DS1 may have a slow swinging weapon, but that animation will still start as soon as I tap that button. DS2, even with 100 adp agility (oops) still feels like it just doesn't react instantly. I almost wonder if it's something weird with my PC since it doesn't seem to be a universal complaint.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 10, 2016

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Are you still playing with kb+m? If you are, there's an inherent delay on actions because of double clicking. There are autohotkey scripts out there that help with it though (remaps keyboard keys to mouse buttons).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like I know exactly what you're talking about, but I really enjoy playing dks2.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah I'm still one of the weird ones that uses KB+M and you better believe I have an AHK script. Literally had that since day 1. I would say the game is nearly unplayable without it, unless you're doing some kind of masochistic LobosJr style challenge run. One of the best things about 3, for me, was that the KB+M controls actually work out of the box without requiring any external patches or scripting.

And it's not like the response delay is any big deal. Probably for someone without hundreds of hours in the games, it wouldn't even be noticeable. But for me it's just enough to make combat feel less like the fluid enjoyable experience of the other games, and more like something to be avoided. :shrug:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

unnecessarily dickish applies to most of ds2

On that note, I just reached the Frigid Outskirts and it's got to be the worst area in the series. I was pleasantly surprised by how much better the DLC is than the main game and then I entered this awful place. Maybe it's my crappy TV, but when the blizzard clears I still can't see anything beyond the first few boats near the coffin. I run blindly through a sea of white and never find anything, even when the blizzard clears, and once the horses start attacking I pretty much throw in the towel. Where the heck am I supposed to go?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's definitely your TV, you can see very far when the blizzard clears.

Honestly you should just skip it. It's a garbage area and the one thing I have never ever bothered to replay in the whole series after slogging through it once the first time. Here is everything meaningful you will miss out on by skipping it.

-Lucatiel's hat without the mask
-A ring that makes you look human while you are a phantom
-A boss soul that makes I think 1 weapon you probably don't care about at this point

There's incredibly little there for all the trouble. And if you can't even see when the blizzard is down, it's going to be even more miserable for you.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I wouldn't want to skip the boss though. I might just find a YouTube video that shows what path to take.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You, might be a bit disappointed by the boss if you were expecting unique content

e: Get to the boss by heading right and up until you hit a wall on the side of the level, then just follow that line all the way down until you find a path over the abyss.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I always found it weird that the co-op DLC freeplay areas are completely unrepresentative of the rest of the DLC and that they all have lovely reskin bosses. If I was on the fence about buying the DLC and co-op'ed those areas there's no way I'd be buying them.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Digirat posted:

You, might be a bit disappointed by the boss if you were expecting unique content

e: Get to the boss by heading right and up until you hit a wall on the side of the level, then just follow that line all the way down until you find a path over the abyss.

You can actually fall down an abyss too? They are surely trolling with this area.

Anyway, thanks.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

snoremac posted:

I wouldn't want to skip the boss though. I might just find a YouTube video that shows what path to take.

you've already fought the boss

i like the frigid outskirts and i like the other two lovely dlc bosses but that one is just kind of lame, especially coming off the ivory king

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Holy crap I don't know if this game is harder than Dark Souls 1 or if it's just different enough to give me massive problems but I am being destroyed. I came off DS1 feeling really confident but I've died and lost my bloodstain like five or six times now. I beat the Last Giant no problem but the Pursuer is loving me up. Armorer Dennis was loving me up as well but in the end I just kicked him off a cliff. In DkS1 you always felt like you were making progress, or at least learning, and you knew you couldn't screw yourself out of anything. Every time I die in this I know I've lost progress - I've lost health, I've lost the ability to summon and I'm running out the spawn counter on enemies that I might need to kill for souls later. The more I lose bloodstains, the less souls I will have available to me later and the more my Soul Memory goes up to no effect, loving me over. This game is way more demoralising than DkS1 ever was to me.

gently caress me, what do I do about Pursuer? I can regularly get 1 hit in, but it does very very little and I die in about three solid hits from the fucker.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doodmons posted:

Holy crap I don't know if this game is harder than Dark Souls 1 or if it's just different enough to give me massive problems but I am being destroyed. I came off DS1 feeling really confident but I've died and lost my bloodstain like five or six times now. I beat the Last Giant no problem but the Pursuer is loving me up. Armorer Dennis was loving me up as well but in the end I just kicked him off a cliff. In DkS1 you always felt like you were making progress, or at least learning, and you knew you couldn't screw yourself out of anything. Every time I die in this I know I've lost progress - I've lost health, I've lost the ability to summon and I'm running out the spawn counter on enemies that I might need to kill for souls later. The more I lose bloodstains, the less souls I will have available to me later and the more my Soul Memory goes up to no effect, loving me over. This game is way more demoralising than DkS1 ever was to me.

gently caress me, what do I do about Pursuer? I can regularly get 1 hit in, but it does very very little and I die in about three solid hits from the fucker.

Have you put any stat points into Adaptability? If your roll is even remotely functional it's really easy to stand at mid-distance and bait his charge attack, roll through it and get a hit in the massive opening he leaves. His attacks are pretty heavily telegraphed in general and insanely easy to exploit once you're familiar with them, just make sure you get your Agility stat (derived from Adaptability) up to 95-100 in short order

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
upgrade adaptability and roll into his swings

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Chill out imo, soul memory and respawn counters are nothing to worry about if you haven't gotten out of the forest yet. Pursuer is an easy boss to dodge, but difficult to block. He is vulnerable to blunt weapons and has pretty big wind down between each attack. If you haven't leveled ADP yet, you should start to since that's basically a tax you have to pay in this game to make your fast roll any better than a fat roll in DS1. If all else fails, Pursuer isn't mandatory, there's another route out of Majula that you can take.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He should definitely kill The Pursuer and bask in the defeat of his enemy

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Get your Agility up by boosting Adaptability, because there are a few weird breakpoints that will make your dodging better. Other than that, go toward his left side (your right) and anticipate his combos as if they're three hits long. They won't always be, but it's better to be waiting for the third hit that never comes than to be hit by the third hit you weren't expecting. (In general I would say that DS2 is different enough from DS1 that you'll have to learn/unlearn some habits. In particular dodging is markedly more applicable and less finicky than in DS1.)

Also here's a video I recorded a while back. I'll admit the voiceover quality's a bit sketchy because we hadn't adjusted the levels quite well enough, which is why I'd put it in the Casual LP thread. (Plus both my co-commentator and I have experience, so we're downplaying the difficulty for someone new to the game.) Though I was playing in original DS2 and with a character heavily into NG+ (to the point of having maximum Agility/damage stats and the Vanquisher's Seal to punch people with gusto), the general idea should still be applicable. I've since poked at him in the same place with new characters and even then it's possible to dodge around him (or even just walk around him) with relative ease.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 10, 2016

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Just finished the no death/no bonfire run. The rewards didn't make me a tiny god in pvp though. I really recommend the no death/no bonfire experience though, it really raises the stakes and forces you to live off the land for fresh weapons early on.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doodmons posted:

pretend you never heard about the spawn counter. by the time you'll be ready to worry about it again (grinding for drops), you'll have enough ascetics to ignore it

parry the pursuer and then run behind him and shoot him with the ballista

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Looper posted:

pretend you never heard about the spawn counter. by the time you'll be ready to worry about it again (grinding for drops), you'll have enough ascetics to ignore it

parry the pursuer and then run behind him and shoot him with the ballista

Quality advice. In a few hundred hours of DS2, I've never run out of enemy spawns. I think you have to kill an enemy something like 15 times before it stops spawning, or thereabouts. Anyway, you really have to be trying to reach that number. Also really really don't worry about soul memory, especially on your first playthrough. The chances that it would ever get filled up enough that you somehow locked yourself out of PvP are miniscule, and even then you're probably better off making a second character later to dedicate to PvP if it's important to you.

Also there are only 5 enemies between the bonfire and the pursuer, if I recall right, and they're super easy to run through. The only thing that might catch you is one of the two spear hollows by that archway, but you can usually spam roll past them. If I'm banging my head on a boss I much prefer to spend all my souls (buy arrows or life gems or whatever) so I don't have that vague worry about losing my bloodstain, and then run past enemies each time. But either way, don't get too hung up on losing souls. That's just a psychological trap. You could play through the entire game only killing bosses and leveling off of their souls and still be leveled enough to deal with anything. I mean, don't run around after killing a boss with 20k souls on you, but since there's almost always a way to a bonfire with no enemies right after each boss, this shouldn't be a worry.

And definitely parry the pursuer and ballista his rear end. Harder, but so satisfying when you finally pull it off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

It's definitely your TV, you can see very far when the blizzard clears.

Honestly you should just skip it. It's a garbage area and the one thing I have never ever bothered to replay in the whole series after slogging through it once the first time. Here is everything meaningful you will miss out on by skipping it.

-Lucatiel's hat without the mask
-A ring that makes you look human while you are a phantom
-A boss soul that makes I think 1 weapon you probably don't care about at this point

There's incredibly little there for all the trouble. And if you can't even see when the blizzard is down, it's going to be even more miserable for you.

Yeah, probably the worst area in the series. That said, once you know your way through it you can get through only fighting 2 or 3 reindeer, and if you take the 3 NPC phantoms the boss is trivial. I actually think the boss weapon is pretty awesome cool looking, dex scaling greatsword that has the straightsword moveset when 2-handed, although the boss shield you can get is laughably terrible blocks nothing but magic higher then 60%, has a completely insignificant constant hp regain.

Thankfully you get 2 souls so there's no reason to ever do it more than once per character

BobTheJanitor posted:

Quality advice. In a few hundred hours of DS2, I've never run out of enemy spawns. I think you have to kill an enemy something like 15 times before it stops spawning, or thereabouts. Anyway, you really have to be trying to reach that number. Also really really don't worry about soul memory, especially on your first playthrough. The chances that it would ever get filled up enough that you somehow locked yourself out of PvP are miniscule, and even then you're probably better off making a second character later to dedicate to PvP if it's important to you.

I don't think I've ever run out of spawns aside from a few random hollows near hub areas and the time I tried farming a Heide set. I think a few tougher enemies, like Heide knights, take less than 15 kills to genocide.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You will never need to kill random enemies for souls, and even if you did, you can join the champion covenant to make them not despawn.

Pursuer was a brick wall for me too because I fought it right after the last giant, and honestly if you're having as much trouble you should just go a different route out of majula. It's not exactly "intended" to be the second boss I think even though it can be the second one you fight. Its difficulty is balanced more around it being the third or fourth boss you fight. If you want to go all-in on a risky move to win quickly, parry it in front of a ballista for a long stun and then blast it.

The game is absolutely harder than dark souls 1, especially the start, because you have less estus, your roll sucks until you pay the adaptability tax, and shields are weaker in general.