Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

Depends on what the wording of the contract is. It might stipulate simply anything before the current Doctor's tenure.

The fact that the BBC used to only give them 2 year renewal cycles have now given them a 9 year lead, leads me to believe that they would be open to negotiations when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Before you watch it, you've got to understand, television was made a little differently back then in the early 2010s; no Tri-D holovids or 4-d audios - it's a different world compared to 2137. Big Finish also produce audios of all 26 doctors - even easier when we discovered we could clone them."

"Of course, when we cloned Robert Delgado he came out of the vat cackling that it was all part of his plan."

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

CobiWann posted:

"Of course, when we cloned Robert Delgado he came out of the vat cackling that it was all part of his plan."

It is. :tinfoil: If we don't have a Pertwee to show up in that century we humans will have no chance.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

...luckily Hartnell57 torched the place. Why do they keep doing that, anyway?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Before you watch it, you've got to understand, television was made a little differently back then in the early 2010s; no Tri-D holovids or 4-d audios - it's a different world compared to 2137. Big Finish also produce audios of all 26 doctors - even easier when we discovered we could clone them."

"Still no word on the missing Troughton DNA though. :("

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Did they check his other family?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Did they check his other family?

:golfclap:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pesky Splinter posted:

In all seriousness, aren't we reaching a point of diminishing returns with 4K? IIRC, you'd need to have TVs up to 80-90 inches wide to even notice any difference vs. HDTV.

The obvious direction to go after 4K is increasing the colour space, not increasing the resolution.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 8, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

In all seriousness, aren't we reaching a point of diminishing returns with 4K? IIRC, you'd need to have TVs up to 80-90 inches wide to even notice any difference vs. HDTV.

The obvious direction to go after 4K is increasing the colour space, not increasing the resolution.

"No, no, dude, how can you even PLAY Dark Souls 7 at ONLY 500fps? You can totally see the difference!"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

TinTower posted:

Nice try, Nestene Consciousness, but we're not going to buy Spearhead From Space in yet another format!

Yes, we will. :ohdear:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

Nice try, Nestene Consciousness, but we're not going to buy Spearhead From Space in yet another format!

Yes, we will. :ohdear:

"For reasons we're not quite clear on, Pertwee's first story was not only shot on high quality film stock but also by around 300 cameras, including one strapped to each actor's face, and there exist multiple takes of each scene with alternative dialogue and story progression. So we've put it all on one disc and you can experience the episode as it was never intended. Please note that the ability to experience the shower scene in first person has resulted in the BBFC awarding this an 18 certificate and banning the BBC from future submissions. "

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Stabbatical posted:

"Still no word on the missing Troughton DNA though. :("

Looks like the Troughton DNA is doing just fine...

And it looks like he's already played Christopher Isherwood, like a certain other lantern-jawed actor. Soon he will have no choice but to accept his destiny. :dance:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Please note that the ability to experience the shower scene in first person has resulted in the BBFC awarding this an 18 certificate and banning the BBC from future submissions. "

David Tennant resigned his "Ten-Inch" nickname out of shame after seeing it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sergeant Andy Davidson has always wanted to join Torchwood. And now he finally gets his chance.

Under the strict observation of his Torchwood Assessor, Andy sets out to prove he's got what it takes. When a chemical spill turns out to have serious consequences, when monsters roam the Bay, and when an ancient entity awakes, Andy decides he could do with a helping hand. The problem is his Torchwood Assessor doesn't have any hands.

Norton Folgate is a ghost.

Tom Price is Andy Davidson in Torchwood: Ghost Mission.

X X X X X

Cast
Tom Price (Sergeant Andy Davidson)
Samuel Barnett (Norton Folgate)
David Warner (OAP)
Lisa Bowerman (Quite Anxious Shopper)
Laura Doddington andAaron Neil (The Graces)

Written by: James Goss
Directed By: Scott Handcock
Produced by: James Goss
Script edited by: Steve Tribe

Trailer - https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/ghost-mission-1391

X X X X X

Torchwood: Ghost Mission is a hell of a lot of fun. A veteran Big Finish writer, a top notch script with a tight plot and some memorable moments, a beloved secondary character from the television series, an engaging counterpart, and a twist ending with a heartwarming finale moment all weave together to give listeners yet another Torchwood audio that earns high marks.

Andy Davidson had always been a by-the-book officer for the Cardiff police department obeying the orders of his higher-ups and focusing on following procedure over gaining attention and favor. Except when it came to Gwen Cooper, his ex-partner and one-time crush. If she needed help with regards to the activities of Torchwood Three, then he would do whatever he could to provide it provided it didn't clash with his duties and responsibilities. While he enjoyed being a policeman, deep down inside Andy wanted to taste a little bit of the excitement and sense of responsibility that Gwen enjoyed as a member of Torchwood. Today, Andy will get his chance, as an assessor from Torchwood has arrived to follow him around over the course of his daily duties and see if he's up to snuff. Over the next 24 hours, Andy will have to decide which is stranger – dealing with an alien goo that dissolves everything it touches, or the fact that his assessor is a ghost from the 1950's...

James Goss has done it all. He's scripted and directed several well received plays, ran the BBC's Doctor Who website in the early 2000's (the dark times before the broadcast of Rose), penned several novels and audiobooks for Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Being Human, helped to produce the Dark Shadows and The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield ranges for Big Finish, and has written for numerous other ranges including Doctor Who, Dark Shadows, Blake's 7, and Iris Wildthyme. Goss also penned several Torchwood audios for the BBC before Big Finish obtained the license. With his extensive pedigree and experience, it shouldn't come as a surprise that's Ghost Mission is yet another solid effort from Big Finish. But this story goes above and beyond. To me, it ranks up there with Fall to Earth as the cream of the crop for the Torchwood range. Goss' script expands on the character of Andy Davidson by putting him smack dab in the middle of yet another situation caused by the Cardiff Rift, but this time he's the one on point. With a ghostly assessor staring over his shoulder, Andy must figure out how an overturned lorry containing a mysterious green goo that instantly dissolves anyone it comes in contact with ties into a warehouse fill with empty coffins, a hulking brute hell bent on killing him, and an abandoned church filled to the brim with ghosts all tie together. Ghost Mission manages to tie all these concepts together not only in a way that makes logical sense, but in a way that keeps the listener engaged the entire time. Even as Andy takes control of a crowd gathered around the crash scene, a poor citizen touches the goo and melts in front of everyone in a scene that somehow comes off as both horrifying and darkly hilarious. The warehouse sees Andy trying to deal with a monster that threatens to kill him by locking himself in a coffin, and his ensuing panic as he realizes there's no way out. From there, it's some brilliant police work from Andy that leads him to an abandoned church containing a horde of angry ghosts desperate to possess his body and the final piece of the puzzle lying in a basement crypt. Ghost Mission easily balances comedy, brutal action, moments of tension, and some genuinely creepy moments, such as Andy panicking as he runs out of air inside the coffin and a host of ghost who communicate via the lyrics to “Amazing Grace.”

What really helps to elevate the story is the instant chemistry between the two leads – Tom Price as Andy Davidson and Samuel Barnett as Norton Folgate, Torchwood assessor. The pair immediately click from the moment Norton interrupts Andy as he goes to talk to a pretty woman in the coffee shop. As a hologram “ghost” from the 1950's, Norton can observe and judge Andy without being able to interfere and risk changing history in any way, shape, or form. Norton isn't a just passive observer however. He's also the sounding board for Andy as the policeman works out a problem while providing advice and words of reassurance during times of extreme stress. Samuel Barnett (Renfield from Penny Dreadful and the lead character in the upcoming Dirk Gently series) plays the assessor in a way that can only be described as “Sassy Gay Friend,” with a mix of camp, sophistication, and humor, including such lines as “well bend me over like it's V-E Day.” Barnett plays off of Price so well that I would love to see/hear them in a future production of drat near anything. Of course, there is ONE thing...if Norton is there to assess Andy, why is he being so helpful? It leads to the twist ending, which ties back into the overall story arc of the Torchwood audios by featuring a cameo by none other than DAVID WARNER!

On the other side, Tom Price is eager to prove himself, but not at the expense of putting any life at risk other than his own...although a few times, he does encourage Norton to help him out so as not to put his OWN life at risk! Price is just fantastic as both a competent cop and someone who realizes just how over his head he is as the layers of the mysterious goo keep getting peeled back. Andy is good at what he does, but comes to grips with his limitations as the story progresses. What really impressed me is how well Price portrayed being a policeman, and how there are actual detective work and sleuthing that went along with how the story unfolded. Andy's moments of “oh yeah, I'm brilliant” are a nice counterpoint to the “oh god oh god I'm going to die” scenes. It grounds the character as just another guy and not some super Torchwood agent (as much as Torchwood agents were ever portrayed as competent on the television series) and makes the very last scene, which ties back into the opening scene in the coffee shop, heartwarming moment.

Ghost Mission is another great Torchwood audio from Big Finish. An engaging plot mixes with the instant chemistry between the two leads, an unlikely hero and a temporal fish out of water, which provides some snappy dialogue and memorable moments. While the twist might be lost on those who haven't listened to the other Torchwood audios, it is definitely worth the pickup for anyone who has heard any of the previous audios and are in the mood for one of the best releases the range has to offer.

Random Thoughts
- Andy talking to the hulking brute like a drunk Valley girl wandering Cardiff at 3 am, apparently an actual technique used by the local PD
- The choir of ghosts speaking in “Amazing Grace” lyrics is one of the most beautiful and haunting moments I've ever heard in a Big Finish audiobooks
- Andy dropping X-Files references vs. Norton quoting The Quatermass Experiment

Cobi's Synopsis – Top-notch chemistry between the two leads combines with a great script and several memorable moments in Ghost Mission, providing Sergeant Andy Davdison a much deserved day in the limelight as he tries to prove himself worthy of joining Torchwood.

Next up - Suzie Costello would never describe herself as a hero. But she would say she's someone who always makes the right choices...

Indira Varma is Suzie Costello in...Torchwood: Moving Target

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it's a neat sounding concept anyway - shades of Randall & Hopkirk.... Deceased!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Well it's a neat sounding concept anyway - shades of Randall & Hopkirk.... Deceased!

I didn't know about this show until now. I'd like to know more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I didn't know about this show until now. I'd like to know more.

There's actually two versions, the remake starred Reeves & Mortimer (don't you dare say you don't know who they are) AND Tom Baker!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So... Barrowman is going to be in Cardiff in the next couple of weeks, doing something secret. The Xmas special starts filming in the next couple of weeks.

Hmm. :iiam:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

There's actually two versions, the remake starred Reeves & Mortimer (don't you dare say you don't know who they are) AND Tom Baker!

I quite liked the Vic and Bob version, but I think I liked the original even more. The beeb used to show endless repeats of Randall and Hopkirk, The Champions, all the Gerry Anderson live action stuff and it was all great. Channel 4 meanwhile worked through the complete works of Irwin Allen, which was flashier but not quite as good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It blew my mind when I found out that the inspiration for the Neon Genesis Evangelion opening titles was Anderson's UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZfeY8Vg0E

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

And the BSG reboot based it's on the Space 1999 titles. Gerry Anderson was pretty great (dont mention Space Precinct)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Gerry Anderson's vehicle designs are the Platonic Ideal of near future tech

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The remake starred Reeves & Mortimer (don't you dare say you don't know who they are)

What, the guys who hawked Cadbury's Boost bars?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I quite liked the Vic and Bob version, but I think I liked the original even more. The beeb used to show endless repeats of Randall and Hopkirk, The Champions, all the Gerry Anderson live action stuff and it was all great. Channel 4 meanwhile worked through the complete works of Irwin Allen, which was flashier but not quite as good.

I remember catching repeats of the original at like 2 in the morning on weeknights when I was a kid and it was the absolute perfect time of night to kind of gape in tired half-confusion at a quasi-surreal piece of late 60s British television (if only they'd played The Prisoner to give me an unfiltered blast of something REALLY weird :allears:).

The remake was fun but then I'd have watched anything that Vic and Bob were doing at the time (and I still highly recommend Catterick).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

What, the guys who hawked Cadbury's Boost bars?

You know, you can go off people.

Edit: Great, I'm at work and now I'm laughing at an endless stream of Vic and Bob videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xcXuZvvfRE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

(if only they'd played The Prisoner to give me an unfiltered blast of something REALLY weird :allears:).

On the Tube this morning was a guy in a black jacket with white piping on the lapels, passing it off as a normal jacket.. I gave him the 'be seeing you' salute as I got off the train and he smiled knowingly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CobiWann posted:

Tom Price is Andy Davidson in Torchwood: Ghost Mission.

Go on. Go back in time to about 2008, and tell yourself that not only is there a Torchwood revival, and not only is it good, but that it is this consistently good.

There's a lot of poo poo I could go back in time and tell myself that would be patently unbelievable to me at some point in the past, and yet I think that would perhaps be highest on the list of Most Unbelievable True Statement. gently caress telling 2004 Me that Sonic would be in Smash Bros, 2008 Me that that Iron Man movie would birth what it has, or Any Pre-2015 Me that I'd be pretty comfortable and happy being trans, Consistently Good Torchwood is measures more unbelievable to me as a fact.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I completely agree. I’m enjoying the Big Finish Torchwood a HELL of a lot more than the television series. It really handles the “mature” nature of Torchwood with respect and thoughtful moments, as opposed to “Mature themes? BRING IN THE SEX GAS!”

Seriously, TARDIS wiki has a page for “Sex Gas.”

And yeah, I can’t imagine it either…

Pre 2010 Me – You’re going to LOVE audios.
Pre 2012 Me – Remember how you always planned to die childless and alone, God willing?
Pre 2014 Me – Remember when you said there’s no way Donald Trump could beat a field of highly experienced and electable governors?
Pre 2015 Me – Remember when you said Roman Reigns wouldn’t be the breakout star from the Shield?
Pre 2017 Me – Who would have thought Billie Piper would win an Emmy for Penny Dreadful?
Pre 2020 Me – Swansea City AFC winning the Premier League. Who knew?

(And yay for being comfortable and happy!)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was just thinking about the one scene in either "The Witch's Familiar" which reveals that Davros isn't just quadrospazzed in a life-glug; he's got no bottom half at all and he's just a torso with all these wires and pipes sticking out the bottom. Is this the most extensive his injuries have ever been? I think in "Remembrance", he was just a head with wires and cables and so on connecting him to the Dalek Emperor armour, but it might just have been him covered in all that stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Something something Time War.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was just thinking about the one scene in either "The Witch's Familiar" which reveals that Davros isn't just quadrospazzed in a life-glug; he's got no bottom half at all and he's just a torso with all these wires and pipes sticking out the bottom. Is this the most extensive his injuries have ever been? I think in "Remembrance", he was just a head with wires and cables and so on connecting him to the Dalek Emperor armour, but it might just have been him covered in all that stuff.

I guess it depends on how much of his tissue he used up remaking the daleks prior to his first revival appearance. I mean, he showed the doctor his chest was a mess, but there's no reason he couldn't have started with all the stuff below the waist that didn't work.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I guess it depends on how much of his tissue he used up remaking the daleks prior to his first revival appearance. I mean, he showed the doctor his chest was a mess, but there's no reason he couldn't have started with all the stuff below the waist that didn't work.

The real question is when did he become such a roboplegic wrongcock?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BSam posted:

Ah, straight out of Terry Nation's description in the Genesis script.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BSam posted:

His chair was built by pervert mechanics.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

To be honest, I have mixed thoughts about that reveal for Davros. It was fun to see at the time but it gave too much away. It led me to ask immersion-breaking questions, like why didn't he die right there, why doesn't he get robot or clone legs, why bother with the torso at all?

(The answers of course being it's just TV and changing Davros in any substantial way would rock the boat too much.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, he's better off than the Borg Queen. She was just a head and a spinal column and she seemed alright.

My curiosity got the better of me and I went and did a GIS of Davros in "Remembrance", and it really does look to me as if he was essentially a head in a jar with a bunch of wires and cables sticking out of his neck in that story.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, he's better off than the Borg Queen. She was just a head and a spinal column and she seemed alright.

My curiosity got the better of me and I went and did a GIS of Davros in "Remembrance", and it really does look to me as if he was essentially a head in a jar with a bunch of wires and cables sticking out of his neck in that story.

I thought that he just got tangled up in some phone chords and decided to roll with it until he found a way out.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Add a Hefty bag or two and this is spot freakin' on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stabbatical posted:

To be honest, I have mixed thoughts about that reveal for Davros. It was fun to see at the time but it gave too much away. It led me to ask immersion-breaking questions, like why didn't he die right there, why doesn't he get robot or clone legs, why bother with the torso at all?

Kaleds had legs, and now they're all dead, so obviously his chariot is the superior design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

why didn't he die right there

To be fair I don't think this question is really immersion breaking when one of the regular recurring things about that character is people wondering how the gently caress he is still alive. And I don't mean in a cute "The Master just shrugs and says he didn't die" way, but that from his first appearance the guy has clearly been chewed up and spit out by life and he's still clinging bitterly and jealously to life, and he imbues his creations with that same indomitable will to spit in the face of fate and say,"gently caress you I refuse to die, my HATE will keep me going."

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 12, 2016

• Locked thread