Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The real answer is that it depends on the players, their characters, and how strong the monsters themselves are. It probably won't make much difference either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jimbozig posted:

4+ bonuses. To keep things fast, since adding more players slows things down.

5 on 5 should also be balanced about as well as 4 on 4, but the rules are the way they are to keep things from slowing down too much.

Thank you!

I will of course see how things play out in practice, but this is my first time playing with this specific group and this many players, so right now I'm just trying to gauge things as I go.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey, does a One-Form Shifter with the Resilient feat add two traits to its transformed Form, if it regains and re-uses its Transformation Power once from each Rally? Can this Shapechanger, or any other One-Form Shifter, add additional traits on top of the one from Rally by sacrificing Encounter powers, or is it only instead?

Edit: Another question I didn't have before. Sorry! Shapechanger with Form of the Bull: at level 1, it says that "All of these powers except Nimble Charge may be used in place of a Melee Basic." It's only the Level 1 powers, right? Because otherwise I could Move with my Move Action, Charge with Shove and Follow in place of the MBA, knock the target back and Prone, then Charge it again. Or maybe that's ok.

Edit 2: Is the Red Cap's Marked for Death damage increase cumulative, or does the increase only last one turn?

homullus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 18, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

homullus posted:

Hey, does a One-Form Shifter with the Resilient feat add two traits to its transformed Form, if it regains and re-uses its Transformation Power once from each Rally? Can this Shapechanger, or any other One-Form Shifter, add additional traits on top of the one from Rally by sacrificing Encounter powers, or is it only instead?

Edit: Another question I didn't have before. Sorry! Shapechanger with Form of the Bull: at level 1, it says that "All of these powers except Nimble Charge may be used in place of a Melee Basic." It's only the Level 1 powers, right? Because otherwise I could Move with my Move Action, Charge with Shove and Follow in place of the MBA, knock the target back and Prone, then Charge it again. Or maybe that's ok.

Edit 2: Is the Red Cap's Marked for Death damage increase cumulative, or does the increase only last one turn?

Good questions! They are going in the FAQ I'm preparing.

I say yes, stacking multiple traits on a one-form shifter is fine, using either of the methods you listed.

For form of the bull, it doesn't really matter all that much. I think I intended that it only apply to the level 1 powers, and the plain meaning of the text seems to indicate that as well.

Red Cap damage bonus is cumulative. They get nasty if the monsters don't kill them. Blasters' Red Caps faced with a group of stooges can get really horrible really quickly.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hey Jimbo, quick Bombardier question. Is Bombing Run supposed to have the Ranged 10 on the power block? I've seen folks interpret the ability as: 'Move your speed and shoot two bombs within 10.' It's still supposed to be a 'drop bombs in your wake' Bomberman power right?

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014

Superstring posted:

Hey Jimbo, quick Bombardier question. Is Bombing Run supposed to have the Ranged 10 on the power block? I've seen folks interpret the ability as: 'Move your speed and shoot two bombs within 10.' It's still supposed to be a 'drop bombs in your wake' Bomberman power right?

Here's how i understand it: The moving and bomb-dropping only happens if you get to trigger your effect. Seperate from that, there's still the ranged attack, that only does damage and role boosts. The ranged 10 refers to that attack, not the bomb-dropping.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

gnapo posted:

Here's how i understand it: The moving and bomb-dropping only happens if you get to trigger your effect. Seperate from that, there's still the ranged attack, that only does damage and role boosts. The ranged 10 refers to that attack, not the bomb-dropping.

This is right. It's similar to the confusion I had abut how Slow Burn works.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm planning to run X-CRAWL in Strike. If you're unfamiliar, X-CRAWL's premise is that dungeon-crawling is a televised sport, so a big part of it is grandstanding, cutting promos, pumping up the audience, throwing out sweet one-liners, etc. Any ideas for how to build that onto Strike? Obviously it can just be fluff, but it might be cool to give it a mechanical effect. What I want is stuff for players to occasionally do or roll in combat that gets them some benefits from the audience cheering them on, the attention of sponsors, considerations from the guys booking the shows, and so on. Skill rolls don't really feel like the thing here, since this should be a core part of the game, the way combat is, rather than something some characters are good at. I've been looking at the WWWRPG for inspiration, but having trouble translating the stuff it does.

Here's a couple of ideas I've thought of:
  • when you use an Action point in combat, make some sort of roll. You always get the normal effects but now other things happen since "rallying" now means "picking up the mic and shouting ARE! YOU! READY?!? to the audience."
  • Something similar to Assess, role actions you can use. The problem there is that people use role actions for real combat stuff, and I don't want to get in the way of combat working normally.
  • Something that happens when you roll a 6.
  • Do stuff involving the Concessions you get after combat. Not sure exactly what, since you could argue that the crowd wants it to be as close as possible.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 3, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

megane posted:

I'm planning to run X-CRAWL in Strike. If you're unfamiliar, X-CRAWL's premise is that dungeon-crawling is a televised sport, so a big part of it is grandstanding, cutting promos, pumping up the audience, throwing out sweet one-liners, etc. Any ideas for how to build that onto Strike? Obviously it can just be fluff, but it might be cool to give it a mechanical effect. What I want is stuff for players to occasionally do or roll in combat that gets them some benefits from the audience cheering them on, the attention of sponsors, considerations from the guys booking the shows, and so on. Skill rolls don't really feel like the thing here, since this should be a core part of the game, the way combat is, rather than something some characters are good at. I've been looking at the WWWRPG for inspiration, but having trouble translating the stuff it does.

Here's a couple of ideas I've thought of:
  • when you use an Action point in combat, make some sort of roll. You always get the normal effects but now other things happen since "rallying" now means "picking up the mic and shouting ARE! YOU! READY?!? to the audience."
  • Something similar to Assess, role actions you can use. The problem there is that people use role actions for real combat stuff, and I don't want to get in the way of combat working normally.
  • Something that happens when you roll a 6.
  • Do stuff involving the Concessions you get after combat. Not sure exactly what, since you could argue that the crowd wants it to be as close as possible.

Cutting promos is about getting fans and showing off your character. The showing off character comes for free. The question is what happens when you appeal to fans and get popular? Seems to me like you should start to be allowed into the premier events and get off the undercard. You could have them start off in dungeons that are clearly a bit threadbare and inferior - the monsters are already injured and some of the traps don't fire. Working their way up, they get to go into awesome dungeons with gouts of flame and giant ice fortresses and poo poo.

If you go this route, since you want the players to advance, you shouldn't make whether or not they get popular depend on dice rolls. You can still have dice rolls to determine things like what opportunities open up for them if you want that randomness, but I would just leave off the dice. But definitely make their opportunities depend on their promos. If they insult other delvers, they might get to compete in some kind of grudge match dungeon where two teams can solve puzzles to set monsters on each other. If they are bold, they get to go to Spring Spelunk XIV. If they don't put in the effort, the commissioner tells them to take a dive and get mangled by a trap or monster on purpose for the ratings.

Make sure the players know that cutting good promos is the way to move up in the league. Lead by example by having another team of NPCs cut a promo trashing them as the newbies they are.

As for mechanics during fights, make a sort of point that you get when you roll a 6. Assess can be used to read the crowd to figure out ways to get more points. "If you blow up those barrels over there, it'll be worth 2 points, plus one for every ally or enemy you set on fire." Close matches get more points, as do injuries. If you get X points, a super-fan sends you a cool new item.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 3, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

A few more:

Basic Actions
Trouble in Hogtown Cards

I'm going to try running Hogtown for my Monday group, so I figured I'd share.

Hey, how did this go? I haven't had any feedback on the adventure yet outside of the people who played it with me, so I'm curious and a bit apprehensive - it's my first ever adventure and I've been second-guessing myself since it came out.

I have plenty of self-critiques, but I'd like some independent feedback.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, how did this go? I haven't had any feedback on the adventure yet outside of the people who played it with me, so I'm curious and a bit apprehensive - it's my first ever adventure and I've been second-guessing myself since it came out.

I actually just came here to ask if there's a version of the Trouble in Hogtown pdf that only has the player material. I'm going to try to run it for my group in a couple weeks and wanted to let them look at their options beforehand. It won't be perfect feedback since I'm expecting to make some changes, but I can ask for their thoughts and also provide my own post-gameplay if that'd be helpful for you.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
To go along with the X-CRAWL idea: a buddy of mine long ago told me about a game of Shadowrun he ran, where the players were a team of DocWagon medics. They retrieved fallen runners and extracted them under fire if necessary, etc etc. But he ran it as though it was part a reality TV show, part COPS. He'd pause the action and cut to a player, and have them narrate their thoughts about another player, the situation, like they were back at the base afterwards being interviewed. Amazing stuff, and could be something fun to add in the mix.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ElegantFugue posted:

I actually just came here to ask if there's a version of the Trouble in Hogtown pdf that only has the player material. I'm going to try to run it for my group in a couple weeks and wanted to let them look at their options beforehand. It won't be perfect feedback since I'm expecting to make some changes, but I can ask for their thoughts and also provide my own post-gameplay if that'd be helpful for you.

I can make one of those easily. I'll try get it together tonight.

And yeah, feedback is always very welcome. I'd like to know what I did right and what I did wrong before I try my hand at another adventure.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

And here it is: Hogtown Player Section

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Thanks! I'll pass that along to my group. We'll be meeting up the Sunday after next, so I'll start the writeup then. I imagine it'll probably just take a couple sessions to get through.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

Initial thoughts:

The PCs were great, especially the mage and were-raccoon. We got a lot of mileage out of the whole "locally sourced and sustainably produced" bit. And the raccoon led to some great roleplay, and one of the few times it actually makes sense to be a bit of a klepto in an RPG.

We actually only got through the first few scenes, namely the initial crime scene investigation, the revolving restaurant, and then the thugs hit them on their way to the magician's shop.

What was there was okay, but it was tough giving them clues without feeling like I was info dumping them. Especially since the scenario seems to involve a lot of real life(?) history stuff.

I'm not really much of a fan of premade mystery adventures in the first place though. If the ending is predetermined you're pretty much on rails with the illusion that failure is an option.

The only mystery I've run in recent memory that I actually thought went well was WFRP3's Eye for an Eye with a set of fan made clue cards (plus guide) that were handed out to the players after they met the conditions. It gamified the experience quite a bit, and the players ended up doing an end run around the expected pacing, but then again my players were grossly over levelled for the challenges in the adventure.

That kind of a setup might be overkill for what looks to be a system demo, but it was a thought.

I also kind of thought the hitmen encounter was kind of boring. I might have preferred at least one or two of the enemies to be standard monsters to give the defender something to focus on. As it was the defender hardly did any defending because he was running all over chasing down 2-hit minions. It works as an encounter, but maybe not as the first one to show off the system.

In the end the group decided the combat was too mechanical and they wanted something closer to Dungeon World (which is what we had played last). That's pretty much what I'd expected going into it though.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Thanks for that! That's all really good feedback, and I can't disagree with any of it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So I have been thinking about adapting one of my favorite game mechanical "bits" to Strike!: the WFRP3E party sheet. For those unfamiliar, it looks like this:

There are different ones for different kinds of parties. The benefits and penalties vary by that kind. They allow certain abilities to be shared among the entire party ("wait, we're a merchant's caravan, and none of us knows anything about selling??") and provide a bonus ability accessible to all members.

The sheets also track a penalty: inter-party stress and conflict. The triangles on top measure this party stress: the GM increments that when the PCs are under time pressure in-narrative or when the players are wasting too much time discussing/arguing. Players can also increment it to represent their character's disagreement with the current course of action. About halfway in, the first penalty kicks in, and when the gauge reaches the end (8-10 slots, in WFRP3E), a second penalty is imposed and the gauge re-sets. The penalties are significant but not crushing -- similar to Strikes and Conditions in Strike!. As I envision it now, the track would have 10 slots. At 5, all party members get Disadvantage on their next roll and gain a Complication (something like "Frustrated"). At 10, all party members get -1 on their next roll, lose the Complication, and the gauge resets.

Some examples:

Zealous Rebels : Once per session, one member of the Zealous Rebels may spend two Action points to reduce their own or another Zealous Rebel's Major Condition to a Minor one.
Skill examples (choose one, or decide on one more appropriate for the group): Sabotage (of a specific kind, i.e. mechanical, computer, et cetera), Stealth, Disguise, Guerilla Combat

Strike Force : Once per session, one member of the Strike Force may spend an Action Point to give each party member a 1-round bonus to damage equal to that party member’s current number of Strikes. Each party member takes an additional Strike at the end of that round; these cannot be reduced or removed.
Skill examples (choose one, or decide on one more appropriate for the group): Coordinated Action, Camouflage, Silent Running

Fire Team : Members of the Fire Team may spend personal Action Points on other Fire Team members who are out of Action points
Skill examples (choose one, or decide on one more appropriate for the group): Hand Signals, Field Medicine, Military Protocol

Lost Lambs: Whenever all of the Lost Lambs are out of Action Points, one is randomly assigned to a Lost Lamb.
Skill examples (choose one, or decide on one more appropriate for the group): Harmless Appearance, Cultural Expertise, Plausible Deniability

Other party-wide abilities I have come up with:

--Once per session, each player may make a Comeback Roll with Advantage
--When a party member spends an Action Point to gain Advantage on a Skill Roll, that party member gains 2 Buffer Points if the roll is successful.
--May spend an Action Point after a roll to ignore a Cost

The balance can be adjusted a bit in the lengths of the stress tracks -- parties with more powerful abilities might have to endure the negative "half" of the track for longer.

Edit: I should have specified that I am looking for feedback -- are these too powerful, not powerful enough? Interesting to explore, unneeded complexity? Are there kinds of parties you'd like to see represented?

homullus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 5, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

In the true pro wrestling fashion, you should be able to get more bonuses by being showboaty instead of maximally efficient, and if that means climbing up the ladder to do an elbow drop instead of just stomping a dude for his last 2 HP then you should climb that ladder

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

homullus posted:

[Stuff about types of parties]

This is really interesting. I like it - it shows definite promise. The one really bad power there is the one that gives everyone on the team an extra strike in combat - that will cause about half of them to get a worse Condition than they would have, and will worsen the team's concession by one level. I would not use that even if I didn't have to pay an Action Point for it - the extra damage is unlikely to make up for all that it costs. Maybe if it worsened the team's strike count without actually worsening personal strikes, that might be worth using.

The Lost Lambs one is interesting for how it completely changes the action point dynamic - instead of players trying to keep the tank full, it rewards running on empty.

Edit: while I'm here, I'll tease a thing - who here likes Monster Hunter, or at least the idea of Monster Hunter?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Edit: while I'm here, I'll tease a thing - who here likes Monster Hunter, or at least the idea of Monster Hunter?

I like it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Jimbozig posted:

Gimme gimme gimme.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Jimbozig posted:

I haven't played a single Monster Hunter game, but from what I hear it's basically about killing big and bad monsters in order to make equipment from their carcasses so that you can take on bigger and badder monsters?

Yeah, I like it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I've never actually played, but idea? Yes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

The one really bad power there is the one that gives everyone on the team an extra strike in combat - that will cause about half of them to get a worse Condition than they would have, and will worsen the team's concession by one level. I would not use that even if I didn't have to pay an Action Point for it - the extra damage is unlikely to make up for all that it costs. Maybe if it worsened the team's strike count without actually worsening personal strikes, that might be worth using.

The idea was to do that, ultimately -- in a fight against the Hated Nemesis, it allows them to take a bigger hit to make sure that guy, at least, doesn't get away. The problem with worsening team Strikes is that it makes the Pyrrhic Victory more likely. I'll give it some more thought.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

homullus posted:

The idea was to do that, ultimately -- in a fight against the Hated Nemesis, it allows them to take a bigger hit to make sure that guy, at least, doesn't get away. The problem with worsening team Strikes is that it makes the Pyrrhic Victory more likely. I'll give it some more thought.

Oh, did you intend for the strikes to only count as personal and not for the team? That could work, too, I think. I just feel like both is too much.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Oh, did you intend for the strikes to only count as personal and not for the team? That could work, too, I think. I just feel like both is too much.

Individual strikes would be better, yeah. It was too expensive before for too little benefit. Ultimately, the goal was to have that be the party sheet for military/commando/assassin parties where the campaign revolved around taking out certain targets. The goal in general is to have a party sheet for each of the most common kinds of campaigns, which are so often actually about different kinds of parties: heroes, mercenaries, bounty hunters, soldiers, touring band, commoners in over their heads, law enforcement, missionaries, castaways, et cetera. If the party changes its goals mid-campaign, it might move to a different sheet.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
A quick rules question. My reading of The Archer's Blitzer class feature and the Fast Archer feat is that I can't benefit from both at the same time. Am I reading this correctly?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

A quick rules question. My reading of The Archer's Blitzer class feature and the Fast Archer feat is that I can't benefit from both at the same time. Am I reading this correctly?

Pretty much, yeah. Although, as one of my players (who also has Melee Shooter) has discovered, there is a work-around.

The thing is, Fast Archer only refunds your attack action if you used it to just make a ranged basic attack. What said player liked to do, when our campaign was still going, was to start the turn by using a move action to get his speed (14 because of mobility boost and everything else) in squares of movement, move next to an enemy, make a ranged basic attack, kill said enemy (because he was always rolling high on his attacks), get his attack action refunded, rinse and repeat until he ran out of squares of movement (he'd usually eliminate an entire combat's worth of Stooges this way). After all that was done and he'd spent all his squares of movement he'd spend his now-refunded attack action to use Blitzer.

So, yeah, there's a way to use Blitzer with Fast Archer, but at least by our reading it hinges on Blitzing being the last thing you do on your turn, because if you use your attack action on Blitzing it doesn't get refunded.

Also, do note that further attacks don't benefit from role boosts: at first we thought the above trick was crazy, but once we noticed that clause it actually made it seem kinda okay. He still destroyed most of my Stooges during the first round of combat, but I was kinda okay with that because the mental image was pretty awesome.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of Archer Blitzer Strikers, when are additional sources of damage multiplied on a crit?

So for instance, there's a level 10 archer power that adds 15 damage to an attack. If you critical with that, does it get multiplied up to 30? How about the extra damage from melee shooter?

-----

The other thing is the Area Denial at-will. Every fight seems to be the defender marking all the enemies either with her triple-mark role power or Come and Get It, then Area Denial from the archer - the enemies can either fight the Defender and take five extra damage for not moving, or defy the Defender's mark and get blasted for that. It's at the point where the archer barely uses any other powers, and when he does I'm always thinking "Why not just use Area Denial instead?"

It's also a bit of a silly visual where the archer charges up into melee range every encounter and just fires arrows into the air over and over. Non-silly powers like the boxing-glove arrow barely get a look in! :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gort posted:

It's also a bit of a silly visual where the archer charges up into melee range every encounter and just fires arrows into the air over and over. Non-silly powers like the boxing-glove arrow barely get a look in! :)
Goblins hiding under tables like turtle shells. Enemies that can be ranged right back. A big mean ogre using an anchor like a grappling hook with reach and push/pull attacks. Swarms. Battles where the party have to race to get somewhere, so standing around and making the monsters come to them isn't going to work.

That was just a few ideas off the top of my head.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 8, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gort posted:

Speaking of Archer Blitzer Strikers, when are additional sources of damage multiplied on a crit?

No, none of it. Only the base damage (the one at the top of the power) gets added again.

It used to double everything in an early playtest, but that made things super swingy. It was fun when a player would blow up a monster but not as much fun when a PC would get blown up by a crit before acting.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Jimbozig posted:

No, none of it. Only the base damage (the one at the top of the power) gets added again.

It used to double everything in an early playtest, but that made things super swingy. It was fun when a player would blow up a monster but not as much fun when a PC would get blown up by a crit before acting.

I'm the archer in question. This is what I expected.

But yeah, It's area denial all day long, especially with how big it gets. If there is any kind of chokepoint for our defender to hold while marking things it's an absolute no brainer. As for the responses above it doesn't really change much. I'd also argue that while yes, you can always come up with narrative reasons to push players to mix it up a bit, the tactical game sitting right in the middle of this whole shebang normally provides a good spread of interesting powers and the GM shouldn't actually need to press me like that. Regardless -

quote:

Goblins hiding under tables like turtle shells.
I often theme area denial as me overwatching an area and taking quick potshots at whoever comes through, particularly when I'm in an area where firing a cloud of arrows into the air makes no sense.

quote:

Enemies that can be ranged right back
happens all the time. I'm still better off area denialing and catching some of their buds than most other choices

quote:

A big mean ogre using an anchor like a grappling hook with reach and push/pull attacks
I get big bonuses for being close, if being close is a horrible idea I have extra shift and I move 10 squares. Him moving me doesn't make

quote:

Swarms
the bonus damage is surely an area attack and therefore good against swarms :)

quote:

Battles where the party have to race to get somewhere, so standing around and making the monsters come to them isn't going to work
this works, meaning I'll switch over to pin down for the duration.

I think part of my problem is that on, say, trick arrow or super trick arrow, so many of the abilites have little caveats on them that they end up far less exciting and interesting than they should be. For starters, so many (And in my head this is worse for super trick arrow) just don't work on tougher badguys thanks to the way they shrug off savable effects. the delay on exploding arrows exploding and the AOE on flaming arrows made them pretty risky to use (Inevitably saved for the narrative - setting a building on fire or knocking down a barricade, almost never used for their mechanical effect). Slow poison seems to normally trigger just after the fight ends.

It seems to me that the trick arrows should be one of the highlights of the combat, just in purely thematic terms, but for me the momentary/persistent weakness, or the wind up shot, are the moments that actually make the table sit up and take notice. I can hit very hard on pretty much any attack, and the skills that make me hit even harder and just annihilate some toughs are the definite stand out moments, but these ultimately end up getting played as a rider on area denial. It's just overwhelmingly reliable.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Goblins hiding under tables like turtle shells. Enemies that can be ranged right back. A big mean ogre using an anchor like a grappling hook with reach and push/pull attacks. Swarms. Battles where the party have to race to get somewhere, so standing around and making the monsters come to them isn't going to work.

That was just a few ideas off the top of my head.

As another player in this game, Gort's DMing in terms of interesting battles definitely isn't lacking, and as the leader/wizard I've found my powers to be very changable and not have the same problem the archer does. It's not a thing that's like.. prevented us from enjoying the system- hell, I've already posted about how much I've loved it- it's just a bit of a shame when Shinedog has all these powers and he flips through them on his go but they all have massive drawbacks like party damage, except Pin Down and Area Denial. And speaking as a rather squishy wizard, I very much do not want to take the sort of damage he can dish out!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

How would you guys do a combat on a life-sized chessboard?

Thing is, for my convention one-shot I'm going to run a dungeon crawl that has ALL the cliches of a D&D dungeon crawler, including a gimmicky combat against animated chess-pieces on a life-sized board.

What I'm currently thinking is this: the PCs roll initiative as normal and act in order as normal, BUT after each PC has acted the GM gets to activate one of the chess pieces and take a turn. So, the GM doesn't actually roll initiative, instead getting to make a single move between each of the PCs' turns.

All the chess pieces move as they would in a regular game of chess and get to make an attack at the end of their movement if they would be in position to capture the character. Also, they can always push (or slide) the PC they attacked one square regardless of roll so that they can actually move into the square they captured.

Of course, this is going to be a bit more difficult than a regular combat simply in terms of number of enemies, but that's somewhat alleviated by the fact that the GM only gets to activate one piece per every PC that acts. I was thinking that Pawns would be Stooges, Rooks, Bishops, and Knights would be Goons, and the King and the Queen would be regular monsters. Killing the King is the end goal of the battle, but the King would have some protection: a castled King would count as Guarded, while other pieces would grant intervening cover as normal.

I think it still needs some work and I really need to come up with some thematic abilities for the pieces (Knights, of course, are leapers that can jump over characters and other pieces as part of their movement), so any ideas would be welcome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ratpick posted:

Thing is, for my convention one-shot I'm going to run a dungeon crawl that has ALL the cliches of a D&D dungeon crawler, including a gimmicky combat against animated chess-pieces on a life-sized board.
This sounds amazing, tbh.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Is there an overwatch hack for this yet?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Two questions:

1) Is everything on the Downloads page up to date? I want to try the system before I buy, but it says on that page the downloads were last updated September 12, and here in the OP the game was finalized this January. (In particular, are the three reference pages up to date, because I feel like even after getting the book I'd be consulting those all the time. Hell, I already printed them out and paperclipped them to my favorite DM screen.)

2) So as I've been talking about in the chat thread, the gimmick of the game I want to run is inspired by Bastion--namely, parts of the map are missing to begin with and fill in when you move. I'm modeling this with Legos--the players get a big bag of blocks and get to put one down for every square of their movement, which also lets them do things like spend their movement to make cover or ramps or stuff--but the thing I haven't figured is what to do with forced movement in this system. I don't want it to be an autokill move every time they slide an enemy into empty space, but I also want the PCs to enjoy their forced movement powers. Since I also want at least some of the enemies to be able to shape the terrain the way the PCs can, maybe forced movement would just be a way of getting a chance to add more blocks since you're forcing the enemy to raise some ground or die, but that seems a little counterintuitive. Any thoughts?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cassa posted:

Is there an overwatch hack for this yet?

I fuckin wish.

I played in a cool space game that was basically the same tone as OW but it didn't have any modified rules like Ults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Carrasco posted:

2) So as I've been talking about in the chat thread, the gimmick of the game I want to run is inspired by Bastion--namely, parts of the map are missing to begin with and fill in when you move. I'm modeling this with Legos--the players get a big bag of blocks and get to put one down for every square of their movement, which also lets them do things like spend their movement to make cover or ramps or stuff--but the thing I haven't figured is what to do with forced movement in this system. I don't want it to be an autokill move every time they slide an enemy into empty space, but I also want the PCs to enjoy their forced movement powers. Since I also want at least some of the enemies to be able to shape the terrain the way the PCs can, maybe forced movement would just be a way of getting a chance to add more blocks since you're forcing the enemy to raise some ground or die, but that seems a little counterintuitive. Any thoughts?

What is the fiction behind the world rising up? Is it based on the players' presence? If so, I'd say let the players build out certain 'safe' types of terrain as needed, and let them spend limited resources (whether AP's, Miss tokens, or some new 'build' resource like unusual bricks or more hazardous terrain features like a puddle of lava or spikes) if they want to instead build out more exotic terrain.
You'd have to make sure you figure out a way for players to get more of whatever resource they'll use. Maybe allow players to give the DM control over what terrain pops up when THEY get force-moved in exchange for some random build bricks, or something.