Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

WrathOfBlade posted:

That guy was the worst. (I hope he keeps calling)

I wouldn't get in his cab but I always enjoy a caller who doesn't shrink when Tom yells at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also I'd like to suggest renaming the thread "The Best Show: Too Low for Fat Hoes"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What episode and time mark is the cab call.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Would love to see a 3-hour Build A Movie ep with Sean & Hayes as guests.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Illinois Smith posted:

Would love to see a 3-hour Build A Movie ep with Sean & Hayes as guests.

yes friend. yes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Talking Thrones" was genius, but Tom just had to keep bitching about "dudes" being "a snooze" again. I stopped listening halfway through when he cut off the Marine who previously informed Mike about the concept of stolen valor. The only boring thing is Tom trying to convince us that they're boring.

Seltzer posted:

What episode and time mark is the cab call.
Two weeks ago at the end of the episode. He actually called in again during the last Half Hour of Power. He only slightly endeared himself in my eyes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Nah, having only dude callers does tend to get super tedious after an hour or so, especially if Wurster isn't around to break things up.

Can't wait for Tompressions, I like his recent trend of topics where people get to troll him.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

there are a lot of bland dude callers who are just like "oh, uhhh, hi Tom, uhhhhh I had one for the topic" and they suck and their topic stuff sucks and they're bad

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Berzerker posted:

there are a lot of bland dude callers who are just like "oh, uhhh, hi Tom, uhhhhh I had one for the topic" and they suck and their topic stuff sucks and they're bad

the lady callers are just better all around. there was a lady who called in some episodes ago and she called mike out on some obnoxious opinion he had, and she told Tom, "get him on the phone." so then mike had to come into the studio to defend himself. that was pretty good.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Eeeh, I don't know if they're necessarily better. They have plenty of boring stories that Tom just lets go because he feels he has to be nice to them for some reason. Like the girl who I went to college with who calls in and basically just complains about her migraines. Top notch stuff!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
They both can be bad but the female callers are generally worse because at least when the guys flame out it's so bad that it gives tom material. The bad female callers just get given a ton of time. The main issue is one I said before, 90% of callers (male or female) that call since the show has moved to a podcast are from Austin, Brooklyn, Seattle, and Toronto and they're boring as gently caress 20 and 30 somethings that all sound the same.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hey, some are from Portland, too

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Looks like the Bob Mould tour ended last night. I've been missing the Wurster calls so hopefully we'll get one tomorrow.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Seltzer posted:

They both can be bad but the female callers are generally worse because at least when the guys flame out it's so bad that it gives tom material. The bad female callers just get given a ton of time.
i think the women are better, but not that much better. Also, one of the guys he put on hold called in before and I wanted to hear what he had to say.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 17, 2016

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Tom got bad company'd :lol:

Now he needs to get gomp'd

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I'm not even at the Tompressions part but this Best Show Xtreme return is a nice surprise.
https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=3231&archive=100591

edit: This is much better for me than the last Tom Asks The Audience To Troll Him segment because he's getting giggly instead of angry.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 18, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The guy who called from Tokyo missed a pretty big chance. For a couple of weeks, a year or two ago Tom kept referring to the band High Rise as some obscure heavy band (I guess he was getting into them? I dunno. Seemed like a weird, specific band to talk about). "Whatcha listening to, champ? Some High Riiiiiise? Listening to some Keiji Haino?"

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

The Tompressions ranged from 'great' to 'wildly uncomfortable', but holy poo poo the call from that teenaged unicyclist towards the end was transcendent.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I am listening to the episode right now and I'm waiting for a caller to call Tom a peeper

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

inferis posted:

I am listening to the episode right now and I'm waiting for a caller to call Tom a peeper

Someone starts doing this and says Tom is giving them a vibe, asking if he's driving around, etc. but IIRC Tom gets rid of them because their phone connection sucked.

A+ episode.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Unicycle teen was incredible. A+

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I liked the tom impressions.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

WrathOfBlade posted:

the call from that teenaged unicyclist towards the end
I'll find out for myself when I download the episode as a podcast, but how does it measure up against Cassius the NYC cab driver?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

It's better because he has Jon Daly and Woliner in the studio and they all fall into this thing where they try to impress this blasé kid who hasn't heard of any of their work.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I would pay money for Nellie Mackeye covering Double Nickels on the Dime in its entirety.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Illinois Smith posted:

It's better because he has Jon Daly and Woliner in the studio and they all fall into this thing where they try to impress this blasé kid who hasn't heard of any of their work.
The funniest part was when they were going through stuff and he hadn't heard of anything and then they mention Dinner with Brett Gelman and he's heard of it and they all simultaneously are like "really?!"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
lol at Tom making fun of Chuck berry

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick
It feels like the show has been on a hot streak these past few months. I always wish for better callers, but I can't complain about where the show is right now.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
The end may be in sight for The Big Bang Theory

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Did the audio quality on the latest episode seem lousy to anyone else? Sounded over compressed or something to me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah it sounded horrible

episode was pretty good though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hayes & Tom doing DRAMATIC READINGS of internet comments was the best.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Did anyone find out if that disabled guy who called was for real? The software he was using isn't one of the ones specifically for disabled people.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I was listening to my usual NPR nonsense this morning and I heard Cassius from Brooklyn call in to talk to Brian Lehrer about local politics and I nearly spit out my coffee. He's just as much of a tool in the morning as he is at 11:30 at night.

(He's actually a regular caller into Lehrer's show on WNYC, but I hadn't made the connection until this morning.)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

inferis posted:

Did anyone find out if that disabled guy who called was for real? The software he was using isn't one of the ones specifically for disabled people.

I don't know but he's a lovely caller either way

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

I was listening to my usual NPR nonsense this morning and I heard Cassius from Brooklyn call in to talk to Brian Lehrer about local politics and I nearly spit out my coffee. He's just as much of a tool in the morning as he is at 11:30 at night.
That makes a lot of sense. Is he better or worse than Joan from the Upper West Side?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Y-Hat posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Is he better or worse than Joan from the Upper West Side?

His actual positions are fine - he basically called in to talk about what a ratfucker the governor is and how he is screwing over the mayor. Which is true.

He just happened to deliver them in the most insufferable manner possible. Including breaking out laughing when Lehrer tried to refocus his rant into a question for the guest on air.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Great show, I love Kurt & Tom together and the two of them making GBS threads on Jelloman is always good.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I normally am not that big a fan of KV on the best show, but this week he was a lot better/seemed a lot more engaged than he has in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

KV is better in person than over the phone so that helped. Nice surprise having Wurster wander into the actual studio, a rare occurrence