Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Has anyone played The Great Zimbabwe yet? What's it like to actually play, on-hand view from the table-wise? I'd love to hear some first-hand impressions :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

*blink*

Holy gently caress.

You're being sarcastic right? :stare: I thought everyone knew that I was on the design team for Adv Civ.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Lorini posted:

You're being sarcastic right? :stare: I thought everyone knew that I was on the design team for Adv Civ.

News to me! :aaaaa:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goons dont do stuff! We just sit around and complain about stuff!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Has anyone played The Great Zimbabwe yet? What's it like to actually play, on-hand view from the table-wise? I'd love to hear some first-hand impressions :)

TGZ is a great first Splotter game if you've never played any of their stuff before, since it distills a lot of what's fun about their games into a 30 minute/player package. The aim of the game is to build craftsmen that will make ritual goods using resources on the map that you then need to transport to your towers to raise them up, earning you points, with the game ending when someone hits 20 points. The higher the tower, the more points its worth, but the more different types of goods you need to level it up again. The twist is that almost anything you do to improve your efficiency increases the number of points you need to win. Taking special powers, researching the technology that lets you build specific craftsmen, etc, so that 20 quickly turns into 25, or 30, or more. There's also a lot of ways to mess with other players, because the resources on the board that become goods can only be used once a round, so competition for turn order gets pretty fierce when you get near the end of the game. Endings tend to be explosive as well, somewhat like Food Chain Magnate, where everyone will be building up for a while, then you hit an inflection point somewhere and the game ends like 3 turns later.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

I mean I only know because you talked about it when I mentioned it was my favorite game evar and I was basically "holy gently caress" too.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

taser rates posted:

TGZ is a great first Splotter game if you've never played any of their stuff before, since it distills a lot of what's fun about their games into a 30 minute/player package

That's exactly the kind of summary I wanted to hear, thanks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SynthOrange posted:

i helped design a successful ttrpg!! gently caress you!!

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Countblanc posted:

i helped design a successful ttrpg!! gently caress you!!

Define successful.

But no, that's pretty cool.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

foxxtrot posted:

Define successful.

But no, that's pretty cool.

Strike! is really, really good and one of very few games to take inspiration from D&D 4e successfully. :)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Betrayal is one of the few games that, when brought up, makes me roll my eyes. I can't believe people still enjoy it despite the situation that JohnnySavs described consistently coming up. I've never seen a fulfilling finale, it's always a stomp in one direction or another. The only reason I play it these days is when I've got a bunch of friends who're playing it - I just use it as a vehicle for conversation, putting about as much thought into it as I would sipping a beer in a bar.

Congratulations, you've discovered how most "normal" people play board games and why they tolerate crap. It's just something to do that occupies hands and provides a topic of conversation. That said, Tales of Arabian Nights is an example of how you can have a random-nonsense story generator game that isn't also a crappy boring experience 70% of the time.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I forgot why I hated Betrayal so I gave it a go a few weeks ago.

The defining moment of it for me was trying to track the invisible traitor's movement using the enemy space occupancy rules. We had him narrowed down to one space and ran over to punch him.

"I'm not there"
"What? You have to be. The rules state that it costs an additional movement for each enemy in the room."
"The traitor book says it doesn't apply."

That's when I admittedly started getting kind of grumbly and unpleasant about how lovely it is to have rules that only one person knows about. That's some straight up Calvinball poo poo.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Played 5 player galaxy trucker using only the base set with three new players, it was great! I dropped out round 3 pre-building so everyone would get enough pieces. I think 40 total pieces were lost that round, everyone took big hits. It was beautiful and we all had a good laugh :)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

That should be an essential part of any design team though.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mega64 posted:

Now I want to hear horror stories about playing Codenames with CAH cards.

Holy poo poo, I'm doing this on my next game night

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dr Tran posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm doing this on my next game night

Miscarriage, 7.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Miscarriage, 7.

That applies to all 25 cards, though.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

"Edgy", 25

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Tasteful, zero.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

They are very wordy cards so it might be difficult to think of a clue that does not show up on one of them

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Machai posted:

They are very wordy cards so it might be difficult to think of a clue that does not show up on one of them

Sure, if you have the vocabulary of a thirteen-year-old.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I am the spy with the codename "a burning pile of dead babies"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

That applies to all 25 cards, though.

It actually applies to CaH itself

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Is there a name in gaming theory for a move that helps you a little bit, but the main motivation is that it screws over someone else a lot?

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Machai posted:

I am the spy with the codename "a burning pile of dead babies"

Where they dead before or after the piling and burning? This is very important in determining the level of edginess in play here.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

House Louse posted:

Is there a name in gaming theory for a move that helps you a little bit, but the main motivation is that it screws over someone else a lot?

A dick move?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

House Louse posted:

Depends on the context. If you're talking about a 2 player game, it's a good move. If a 3+ player game, it really depends on the situation, sometimes it might be a good move.

Frequently though it is indeed just being a jerk.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I played a learning game of Millennium Blades with my wife, and it was really fun, though she wasn't big into learning how to make a good deck. I think that next time we play, especially having more people, she'll probably focus more on the collection aspect. In any case the timed segments are super fun!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

House Louse posted:

"Take that" seems to be the most general term. If player A is in an unwinnable state, but makes those moves against player B to cause player C to win, it's "kingmaking". These terms only really apply in games with at least three different sides. "gently caress the leader" is another common term. These are all generally frowned upon in terms of game design.

If the move specifically takes the form of scooping up resources you don't really need just so nobody else can have them (e.g. putting a worker on a space so nobody else can put a worker there this round), it's "denial". If the move even more specifically takes the form of drafting items you don't want or can't use just so nobody else can draft them, it's "hatedrafting".

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 7, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
In worker placement, the term would be "blocking."

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Some Numbers posted:

In worker placement, the term would be "blocking."

What about "hateblocking"?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

House Louse posted:

This is basically just Kingmaking. It is a good strategy for the meta-game.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I generally call that 'spite' as a catchall term. I don't think spite plays are inherently good or bad, it all depends on if you're still trying to play the game to the best of your ability.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think spite plays are bad but i'm the guy in my group of friends who obsesses about games and spoils the meta by reading strategy. I wouldn't do it if my job didn't involve sitting around on the internet for hours!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Impermanent posted:

I think spite plays are bad but i'm the guy in my group of friends who obsesses about games and spoils the meta by reading strategy. I wouldn't do it if my job didn't involve sitting around on the internet for hours!

It depends on intent. Spite is probably a bad term because it implies you're doing it to the detriment of yourself. If your goal is to win or place as high as possible (i.e. you value coming in 2nd more than 3rd), a move that fucks over a competitor can absolutely be the optimal move in which case it's not really "spite". It's just playing towards your goal. Essentially:

thespaceinvader posted:

Depends on the context. If you're talking about a 2 player game, it's a good move. If a 3+ player game, it really depends on the situation, sometimes it might be a good move.

Frequently though it is indeed just being a jerk.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Rutibex posted:

This is basically just Kingmaking. It is a good strategy for the meta-game.

King making is the opposite. It's when you act to let another player win usually because you've no shot at winning yourself any more

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Plays that hurt other people and help yourself are called good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mojo Jojo posted:

King making is the opposite. It's when you act to let another player win usually because you've no shot at winning yourself any more

It has the exact same effect, harming one player benefits another (assuming a game with 3 or more players). You are either king making the lead player, or the second place player (if you target the lead player).

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Rutibex posted:

It has the exact same effect, harming one player benefits another (assuming a game with 3 or more players). You are either king making the lead player, or the second place player (assuming you target the lead player).

King making usually implies the move does little to no good to the person making it, the question is about a move that helps you a little but hurts another player a lot. Presumably it's the best move available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

Honestly thats what makes games fun is different personalities playing. I'm the type of player that doesn't mind losing if I can screw over someone who screwed me over.