Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

xthetenth posted:

TSMC, and iirc Polaris will be Samsung (courtesy of GloFo when possible) and Vega is likely TSMC.

Samsung has a SmartCopy program like Intel's Copy Exactly, so I expect Samsung to start making AMD chips soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Samsung has a SmartCopy program like Intel's Copy Exactly, so I expect Samsung to start making AMD chips soon.

I expect AMD to put a lot of chips on Samsung's processes because that makes them easy to get built by GloFo, and they're buying GloFo wafers anyway (incidentally I hear that Intel's having a rough time working well with other IC designers because they really haven't been doing it before).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
One thing to note is that the gap between the 1070 and 1080 will probably be a good bit wider than the 970/980 split going by CUDA core count and memory bandwidth. It's still going to be a monster of a card and AMD has their work cut out for them.

Hmmm, I'm thinking a nice aftermarket 1070 for my B-day in October. :allears:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One thing to note is that the gap between the 1070 and 1080 will probably be a good bit wider than the 970/980 split going by CUDA core count and memory bandwidth. It's still going to be a monster of a card and AMD has their work cut out for them.

Hmmm, I'm thinking a nice aftermarket 1070 for my B-day in October. :allears:

Right now it looks like between AMD and NV there's a full product stack. I could see this working out well for AMD because people only have them as an option in their price range.

I'm pumped in general because it looks like the node shrink is the real deal. Maybe the friend who's getting my 290 when I replace it is getting it sooner rather than later.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Maybe we'll finally get a new ULFF card after the HD 7750 :unsmith:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So what should we expect to see from AMD? More cards geared towards the cheaper end of the market? If they could get a decent performing $200-250 card out there early, that would be very tempting indeed.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Maybe we'll finally get a new ULFF card after the HD 7750 :unsmith:

I've seen you post about this a lot and it's made me kind of curious - what exactly is it that's chaining you to the tiny boy graphics card form factor? Is it a PCIe slot spacing + other AICs blocking the way issue? Weird case?

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 7, 2016

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
:fap: :fap: :fap: 1080 inbound!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, guess it's time to finally upgrade from my 680. Especially since I've started to play around with covnets.

Any idea how close to the 27th we'll see how each vendor is packaging the card, or will the launch be reference HSF only?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
If current GPU I have is a GeForce 9500 GT that currently has no cooling fan in its heat-sink because it broke, should I wait for the fabled 1070/1080 to come out, or should I stop living way back in the past yet?

I mean, the answer is obviously "why are you still using a GPU without a cooling fan, you dolt," but I'd still like to know the hypothetical answer with regards to upgrading to something that GeForce Experience won't be all "haha, let me tease you about the new functions I support that I can't even pretend to be able to give your outdated piece of junk."

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ElTipejoLoco posted:

If current GPU I have is a GeForce 9500 GT that currently has no cooling fan in its heat-sink because it broke, should I wait for the fabled 1070/1080 to come out, or should I stop living way back in the past yet?

I mean, the answer is obviously "why are you still using a GPU without a cooling fan, you dolt," but I'd still like to know the hypothetical answer with regards to upgrading to something that GeForce Experience won't be all "haha, let me tease you about the new functions I support that I can't even pretend to be able to give your outdated piece of junk."

Are you going to throw $380-600 on a video card? If not, we should be seeing the discounts on older lines sooner than that.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Bardeh posted:

So what should we expect to see from AMD? More cards geared towards the cheaper end of the market? If they could get a decent performing $200-250 card out there early, that would be very tempting indeed.

The Polaris 10 should cover that segment yeah. A 390 with Tonga features and whatever GCN 4th gen brings, at ~half the energy consumption.
Not too shabby for the silent 1080p majority or lower end FreeSync monitors.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Perhaps they are reaching a point where sli is going to be bandwidth limited and preparing for the future?

VR SLI requires *all* the bandwidth.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Bardeh posted:

It does look like they're aiming more for the mid-ish range (for a new gen card) but they still haven't had official word on pricing or exact availability date. $200-250 is probably about as low as they'd go with the 480/X. I'd certainly prefer it of course if they did. A 480/X for $200-250 would probably be the best value buy since the 4890 (I got 2x of those for $160AR when they were still AMD's high end card at the time back in mid-late 2009) but I wouldn't be surprised if they priced it a bit higher at least to get some revenue which they need sorely.

edit: I wouldn't say screwed yet. So long as the 480/X performs decently and is priced right it'll sell well and still give them revenue even if it sells for under $300. If some of their presentation slides are any indicator they seemed to be expecting to sell it for around $300-350 MSRP anyways. It just won't give them as much revenue as they were hoping. Now if the 480/X doesn't perform all that well plus they try to sell it for $300+ then yeah then they screwed.\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 7, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Totally blows the more conservative guesstimates away, kind of looks like AMD is screwed unless they sell Polaris 10 XT for sub 300$, and not even then. Nvidia's mindshare and early release look to dominate how the new generation will sell, and even if AMD releases a competitive product the 1070 has a lot of room to drop (and Nvidia can eat low margins).

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
I can't wait for this 1070, holy poo poo wheres my msi nonref. I've been running a 1440p ultrawide off a 970 for awhile now and I really need that extra power. This will be my third x70 that I get asap, and then sell the old card off somewhere making these upgrades really cost effective. I've had numerous ATI cards over the ages, but they haven't even crossed my mind in years. Hope they can carve out their niche in the low end and mobile market.

thats not candy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 7, 2016

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

havenwaters posted:

1080 specs site on nvidia.com say that it has DisplayPort 1.4. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080
Read the fine print, guys:
DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Founders Edition is the price for the reference design, and the MSRP is a suggestion for third party designs. Let's see how fast that 380$ 1070 really comes to market.

Also lol at "Founders Edition".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Interesting point though - the 1080 will barely match the Fury X in GFLOPS. It does so at a significantly lower TDP, but in terms of raw performance output it's not keeping up given that it's supposed to be a next-gen chip. This implies that the DP/compute performance did indeed sap the SP performance, which may mean that a decently-sized Polaris can keep up or beat it, and/or that the AMD Value Train doesn't have brakes in this generation either.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 7, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In other words, we're looking at more software-side hocus-pocus from Nvidia? I mean, I won't say that the octo-viewport VR demo wasn't a novel idea, but so far, Pascal seems to be leveraging the die shrink to cram more transistors in more than anything else, now that they HAVE to have DP parity with AMD.

edit: Am I missing something? Is there something in this block diagram that I'm not seeing that shows how Nvidia intends to keep abreast? I've wondered for years why they haven't started putting L3 cache on GPUs yet.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 7, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Haha, you know what? What if they put the compute back in Pascal and those were all DX12 benchmarks?

Sounds about like NVIDIA's playbook. Maybe don't firesale the 980 Tis until we see real benchmarks...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 7, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If they were DX12 benchmarks, I don't know why they don't flog Ashes of the Singularity, and ram that down AMD's throat in a, "look, we can run AMD's game better than they can!"

Sure it's cheap, but as they say, "it gets the people going".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If they were DX12 benchmarks, I don't know why they don't flog Ashes of the Singularity, and ram that down AMD's throat in a, "look, we can run AMD's game better than they can!"

Sure it's cheap, but as they say, "it gets the people going".

If you come out and say you're using DX12 benchmarks then it raises the obvious question of how DX11 performs. Same reason you don't come out and say your Pascal demo board is running on Maxwell...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haha, you know what? What if they put the compute back in Pascal and those were all DX12 benchmarks?

Sounds about like NVIDIA's playbook. Maybe don't firesale the 980 Tis until we see real benchmarks...

Some hysteria around this so we can get some cheap 980 Tis on the used market is exactly what I we need.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I appreciate your use of the royal "we" there. =P

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I intend to use this lovely gpu for another 3 or so years :colbert:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

People in this thread seem to prefer third party fan designs that aren't blowers for cards. My current airflow set up has 3x 120mm intakes at the top, 2x 140mm intakes at the front, and a push/pull outtake over the cpu radiator out the back. Would one of those card designs still be a benefit, or would a blower make better use of that airflow? Maybe the wrong thread to ask.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Interesting point though - the 1080 will barely match the Fury X in GFLOPS. It does so at a significantly lower TDP, but in terms of raw performance output it's not keeping up given that it's supposed to be a next-gen chip.

Is the Fury X really a useful comparison point for GFLOPS? The whole problem with the card was that it spent too much die space on FLOPS and not enough on fixed function processing.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Honestly, even though the 1070 is cheaper and more powerful than I thought it would be ( i figure wre looking at 400 flat), the prediction of 100 dollar 970s excites me way more
That's a pretty good budget card and would directly replace the 750 ti in that price slot right now, which i see getting recommended for the ultra budget builds sometimes, but the 750 ti was already really struggling with newer titles by now so the cost over time kinda compensated pretty heavily for any immediate savings. It's hard to imagine not getting decent mileage out of a 970 still since I only have a 1080p monitor at the moment, and I won't upgrade that til I'm ready to drop the budget for a very. nice one, which wouldn't be a while

Maybe AMD was right, that 200-250 range could be an excellent niche for them to hit with Polaris and really that's what they've been saying all along

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

ijyt posted:

People in this thread seem to prefer third party fan designs that aren't blowers for cards. My current airflow set up has 3x 120mm intakes at the top, 2x 140mm intakes at the front, and a push/pull outtake over the cpu radiator out the back. Would one of those card designs still be a benefit, or would a blower make better use of that airflow? Maybe the wrong thread to ask.

If anything that amount of airflow is overkill, usually in testing more than 2 fans only has a small effect on temps.

More airflow is better in general for open air cards. If you have good airflow that's more reason to get one of those, since you can more efficiently get that hot air out. Blower cards can be a good choice for a space constrained build with bad airflow.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

380$ for the 1070?
Christ they must be selling that at a loss.

Or using the P100 sales to subsidize consumer cards.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Unless you're factoring R&D into the per-card manufacturing cost I doubt they would be selling them at a loss even if they were $200.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

cat doter posted:

If anything that amount of airflow is overkill, usually in testing more than 2 fans only has a small effect on temps.

More airflow is better in general for open air cards. If you have good airflow that's more reason to get one of those, since you can more efficiently get that hot air out. Blower cards can be a good choice for a space constrained build with bad airflow.

It was mostly an attempt to brute force some positive pressure, there's a ton of construction going on around here so dust builds up quickly. All intakes filtered of course.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RME posted:

Honestly, even though the 1070 is cheaper and more powerful than I thought it would be ( i figure wre looking at 400 flat), the prediction of 100 dollar 970s excites me way more
That's a pretty good budget card and would directly replace the 750 ti in that price slot right now, which i see getting recommended for the ultra budget builds sometimes, but the 750 ti was already really struggling with newer titles by now so the cost over time kinda compensated pretty heavily for any immediate savings. It's hard to imagine not getting decent mileage out of a 970 still since I only have a 1080p monitor at the moment, and I won't upgrade that til I'm ready to drop the budget for a very. nice one, which wouldn't be a while
Can I interest you in my Gigabyte 970 with 2+ years left on a transferable warranty? :mrgw:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any good meltdown posts yet? As far as I understand it the high end AMD cards won't come out until next year right?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Possible stupid question:

Do I need a monitor with a newer HDMI port to enjoy the GPU's new HDMI?

Also talking of HDMI 2.0b, when is Denon gonna come out with a 32 channel discrete amplifier? lol

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you come out and say you're using DX12 benchmarks then it raises the obvious question of how DX11 performs. Same reason you don't come out and say your Pascal demo board is running on Maxwell...

Well, there is this vague graph from the product page:

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
So I have never really wanted a GPU upgrade quickly, but my 780 (non-ti) is just barely enough for VR stuff, so I was planning on upgrading ASAP. It sounds like the first card out will be Nvidia's reference 1080, right? How long after the reference card comes out until the cheaper MSI/EVGA/whatever cards come out (based on past launches)? If I just say gently caress it and get the reference card, is that coming direct from Nvidia? Are pre-orders going to be up on the usual places?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I kind of thought we might see some reviews today. Do reviewers not have cards yet or is there an NDA issue or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Honestly the only thing that'd make the Founder's Editions worth it would be cherry-picked silicon *and* a five-year or better warranty. That'd get me to buy in without question.

I'm leery of nVidia-branded reference cards as they generally come with shorter warranties than AIB maker's cards.