Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Suspicious Dish posted:

huh. are there a lot of instances where they move enemies into an area that now makes sense in scholar?

Yeah, plenty. Of course, that's all spoiler talk, so they'll be brought up when Geop gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
In vanilla DS2 the Heide Knights were essentially like Black Knights in DS1, just sorta scattered about as mostly-optional challenges that can give you pretty good rewards, the rewards were just a little less remarkable but they dropped every time.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

In vanilla DS2 the Heide Knights were essentially like Black Knights in DS1, just sorta scattered about as mostly-optional challenges that can give you pretty good rewards, the rewards were just a little less remarkable but they dropped every time.
Unfortunately, now you have to farm them if you want all of their stuff. It took me much, much too long to get everything I wanted for a Faith-based Heide Knight character.

One of their weapons worked really well for me though. (Their spear.) It was a good run.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

huh. are there a lot of instances where they move enemies into an area that now makes sense in scholar?

Kind of, but not really. It'd be more accurate to say that an enemy placement change rarely feels entirely out of place--usually you can at least think of some reason for it from a lore perspective. More often than not the changes actually stem from gameplay considerations though, either to make formerly boring parts more interesting or to make formerly obnoxious parts less obnoxious. In my opinion nothing ever became less interesting or more obnoxious so they did a good job there at least.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Unfortunately, now you have to farm them if you want all of their stuff.

You always did. In vanilla DS2 it required NG+ or spoilers mechanic to farm their entire set, whereas in scholars NG+ just drastically increases their drop rates but you can otherwise farm them for every single drop right from the start of NG for as long as you want, no spoiler mechanic required, so long as you are in the victor stone covenant. You can get a lot of item find gear and rusted coins early enough that farming up the set isn't too bad and if you just wait for NG+ it takes no time at all. The weapon drops are mostly still 100% as well, they just changed their locations somewhat.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've been using the rapier most of the game and while it does wear pretty quickly, I don't think I've ever had it break on me. Starting as a knight I never thought about the classes that don't start with real weapons - I hope Goonther finds a better weapon soon. That second giant knight wrecked my poo poo for a long time until I realised that the best way to dodge them is not the same as how you dodge the first one.
You may only need to fight one heide knight (it's two in sotfs, isn't it?), but god drat is that one guy a royal rear end in a top hat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If he stays on the route he's currently on, he's not going to have a proper weapon for a very long time.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Iretep posted:

Yeah the choice in the early game is similar to dark souls 1 in a way. If you pick cleric who starts with a mace, theres nothing really stopping you from going to the cemetery place in dark souls 1. Similarly if you pick cleric here who starts with a mace you can just kill all the giants here easily.

I don't remember much about my last DS2 playthough, except that there were lots of big swords involved. I don't think I ever touched the mace and judging from everything I heard after the fact it sounds like I missed out.

Is there anything Geop can get early on that isn't half of a broken sword? He's going to have a bad time otherwise.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 7, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I don't remember much about my last DS2 playthough, except that there were lots of big swords involved. I don't think I ever touched the mace and judging from everything I heard after the fact it sounds like I missed out.

Is there anything Geop can get early on that isn't half of a broken sword?
Oh hell yes. This particular path isn't great right now until he gets a better weapon, but some of the other paths have a variety of weapons that will last for a while if not to the end of the game. (And of course it's not hard to duck out.) There's even something cool still floating around in Majula.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Cat NPCs are best NPCs :radcat:

The Kuvo tally jumps up to 10!

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Tae posted:

Dark Souls 1 is an easier buy when it's constantly at like 5 bucks for the last few years.

Dark Souls was pretty easy to buy when it was full price my man

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Even as a knight with their broadsword DS2 starts off decently rough.

I remember getting wrecked by the giants quite a bit even when I was almost done with the tower. Sometimes all their swings just go above your head and others... Well, what happened to Goonther is pretty standard fare until I had it beaten into me to roll into/past them than away from them.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
It probably isn't as bad anymore, but the levelling up was terrible at launch in the PS3 version. Not only were the loading screens about 40 seconds, but the game actually had to load new lines of dialogue whenever you skipped them, as well as the menus, adding another ten seconds or so to opening the menu. So for what used to be just sitting down at the bonfire, Dark Souls 2 added somewhere around one and a half minutes and that's one of the things that made me really hate it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fister Roboto posted:

If he stays on the route he's currently on, he's not going to have a proper weapon for a very long time.

He could just go back to Majula at any point in time and buy one. There's also some down that path if I recall correctly. A few even dropped by enemies. But while I played Dark Souls II ten or so times to completion I only played through Scholar once (Though, I think pretty much all of the changes are for the better). I usually go to a different area first, because it's probably the intended first area. Heide's Tower of Flame is supposed to scare newbies away with the big enemies but if you've played the first Dark Souls it shouldn't be a lot of trouble to go through there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

IGgy IGsen posted:

He could just go back to Majula at any point in time and buy one.

Not yet. Not before changing course.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

GeoGeo's Booze-are adventure.

(Yeah, I know that joke was made in Wind Waker. It's relevant to this LP, too.)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

scamtank posted:

Not yet. Not before changing course.

Oh right, I forgot. Still, it'll limit his options. And he should switch from his lovely broken sword asap, but he's not completely gimped if he goes further down the Heide's path for now.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
He could also just switch to that dagger he got during the tutorial. At least it'd be a proper weapon.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

And it'd actually do some appreciable damage on backstabs, too. The broken swords have a bonus multiplier so close to nil that the theatric double-slash on the enemy's back is just the same thing as two regular attacks.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I promise y'all that Geop has played enough games and has enough people on the chat with him that he'll work this all out.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

armoredgorilla posted:

I promise y'all that Geop has played enough games and has enough people on the chat with him that he'll work this all out.

But what else will people bloviate about between videos?!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Isn't the broken straight sword in this game actually pretty useable? Obviously, it's not actually good, but it's not like the straight sword hilt in Dark Souls 1 or anything

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

inthesto posted:

Isn't the broken straight sword in this game actually pretty useable? Obviously, it's not actually good, but it's not like the straight sword hilt in Dark Souls 1 or anything

Well yes. But the thing is that most weapons are balanced to be useful throughout the entire game if you want to use just one weapon, and the broken sword is one of the obviously bad ones. I mean, you could probably still use it throughout the entire game but it would not be harder, just more tedious.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It does have the undocumented perk of having a really low Stamina cost per swing. There's a few things you could do with a platform like that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
main problem with the thing is that since you need to swing it more it also breaks faster. but hey thats why those "useless" repair powders are for.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I assume we're way behind the actual recording, and even if Geop keeps going and doesn't get directed to a newer, better weapon, it doesn't matter because we're ten episodes behind and our advice is stuff that's already happened naturally.

Although, yeah, the broken swords are kind of lovely. The best way to make the game easier and less tedious is to kill things before they give you too many chances to gently caress up, and the broken straight sword is among the worst things at killing things in a timely manner.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

[Scrubbing anything remotely spoilery.]

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 7, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, looks like you can see one of my favourite Scholar changes right at the start of Heide's Tower.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also the opposite sometimes.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

I assume we're way behind the actual recording, and even if Geop keeps going and doesn't get directed to a newer, better weapon, it doesn't matter because we're ten episodes behind and our advice is stuff that's already happened naturally.

Although, yeah, the broken swords are kind of lovely. The best way to make the game easier and less tedious is to kill things before they give you too many chances to gently caress up, and the broken straight sword is among the worst things at killing things in a timely manner.
Yeah, we're about nine or ten episodes ahead of this right now :v:

Also watch the spoilers, guys. I'd rather not see in-depth overpowerered gear talk about stuff I have no idea about existing :x

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm actually more interested to see what your playstyle ends up being compared to your ds1 run (curved sword and lots of shield usage), and whether it evolves more due to what you find in the way of drops, or if you stick with one of the early-game weapons.

Also how are we supposed to pronounce your name? I always read it as "geoff" but with a p instead of fs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nuramor posted:

He could also just switch to that dagger he got during the tutorial. At least it'd be a proper weapon.

Actually, it's better than the dagger in terms of damage output.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

For reference Geop the reason they moved levelling up to The Emerald Herald in Dark Souls 2 is to facilitate people who want to do "No Bonfire" runs.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Captain Fargle posted:

For reference Geop the reason they moved levelling up to The Emerald Herald in Dark Souls 2 is to facilitate people who want to do "No Bonfire" runs.

I also recall seeing something about having a reason for the player to check the central hub more often, for talking to characters that end up there, etc.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'm surprised they actually never put a special broken sword somewhere in the games that was actually really powerful, or that could be repaired into being something powerful.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm surprised they actually never put a special broken sword somewhere in the games that was actually really powerful, or that could be repaired into being something powerful.
They sort of did in DaS1. The Greatsword of Artorias required a Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt at +10.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

They did in dark souls 1. The broken sword hilts could be upgraded to the Artorias greatsword, If I remember right.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Raygereio posted:

They sort of did in DaS1. The Greatsword of Artorias required a Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt at +10.

Oh, shows how much I remember, then. Dunno why they didn't carry over the notion into the later games though, I think it's neat to have something garbage end up good if you do the right thing (whether that's clearing a curse via repeated use like the paladin shield in FF6 or by upgrading a broken sword like the Artorias sword) to improve it.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 7, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

Oh, shows how much I remember, then. Dunno why they didn't carry over the notion into the later games though, I think it's neat to have something garbage end up good if do the right thing (whether that's clearing a curse via repeated use like the paladin shield in FF6 or by upgrading a broken sword like the Artorias sword) to improve it.
DS2 has something comparable. [blah blah]

Was crossplay enabled between users of the same version (Scholar/PS4 to Scholar/PC), or is it limited by console as well as (obviously) version?

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 7, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
No version could play with another version. Consoles couldn't play with each other or PC. PC regular could not play with PC SotFS either.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

DS2 has something comparable, but it's both more widely applicable and more obtuse than the method for the divine Greatsword of Artorias.

Was crossplay enabled between users of the same version (Scholar/PS4 to Scholar/PC), or is it limited by console as well as (obviously) version?

I don't recall anything like that from DS2, mind mentioning what it is in a spoiler?

Edit: I was dumb, sorry bout that Geop. Also apparently my memory is super bad! Guess I'm going hollow.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

[Nah, we're just scrubbing this.]

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 7, 2016

• Locked thread