Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

No this is Doland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
dambon!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I started rereading Hitmen for Destiny after I forgot one of the character's names, and I forgot how good it was. Still Thorsby's finest.

"Is this attire typical of your world? Or are you perhaps some kind of prostitute?"
"No I'm not! My clothes are fine!"
"It would seem Anette comes from a much sluttier universe than ours."

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Has any of Thorsby's work been published as a physical book? I'd love a printed copy of Hitmen for Destiny.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bell_ posted:

Maybe? I started reading from the beginning, and their connection was there from pretty much the beginning. While the art's pretty and the lettering is nice, it seemed like Garfield to me.

Well like Mazerunner said, they were connected from the beginning, sure, but any underlying feelings they had for one another were channeled into a rivalry and grade school pranks like cartoon drawings about how much the other girl sucks and smells (or sometimes moderate vandalism from Turpentine). Neither of them even felt comfortable openly identifying as queer, though Turps quietly dated women before that. Honey had buried any homosexual feelings really deep down and was completely oblivious to anyone being gay, even her own band mates. She kinda quietly floated the idea of being gay to her cat a little while ago, but hasn't come out and said she's gay before this.

It'll be interesting to see how their bands react to all of this. The other Sourballs seem chill enough to roll with it, but the other Candy Hearts obviously aren't happy with how many times Honey has ditched them to snipe/flirt with Turpentine. Cherry thinks Honey is her best friend, so getting snubbed in favor of someone she thinks is super gross must blow. Coco figured out that Honey has a hidden crush on Turpentine a long time ago and thinks the entire relationship would end in disaster and really hurt Honey.

e- It doesn't help that on top of childish jokes specifically at Honey, Turpentine has done things like vandalizing/damaging their band van several times and sabotaging their events and fundraisers. They definitely have a much lower opinion of her than the Sourballs do of Honey.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 7, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

dembon updoot. who jammy stub with cum! how much maths

woah jimmy

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The best part about not using a feed for my webcomics is having a bookmarks folder of 50+ comics, tagged with their scheduled update days, that I go through on a fairly regular schedule. This is not clunky at all.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I will never forgive Google for shutting down Google Reader. I use Feedly now, but it's not as good.

The biggest drawback to rss feeds over bookmarks is that if some random comic's feed breaks, I won't notice until years later when I wonder why such and such hasn't updated lately.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, and I don't think it means she was working with the evil octopus thing so much as they turned off the dragon bell to assist with her experiments, because she was going WHOLE HAM in an effort to make a breakthrough before this event. I seem to recall hearing that some of her specimens are dragon derivatives in some way.
Poda's definitely taken a stab at manipulating her so it's not unlikely she had something to do with the dragon bell thing behind the scenes. Possibly through Chicadino, since he's go that weird hand painting he could be in her pocket.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Tendales posted:

I will never forgive Google for shutting down Google Reader. I use Feedly now, but it's not as good.

The biggest drawback to rss feeds over bookmarks is that if some random comic's feed breaks, I won't notice until years later when I wonder why such and such hasn't updated lately.

I use theoldreader. It's exactly like Google Reader as far as I can tell, but I never used most of the features.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tendales posted:

Happens to Comic Rocket all the time; comics will suddenly be broken because the registered page count changes to a value below the page you've actually read up to. Poppy broke when Morbi added the extra chapter, then unbroke months later. Bad Machinery is in a constant state of being broken or fixed. Webcomics are a chore to keep up with.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tendales posted:

Newsblur will add a red "!" if the feed is broken, but you have to look in the "list of subscribed feeds" panel.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mazerunner posted:

what are you even trying to say, here?
A fat, orange tabby hates Mondays, loves lasagna and has a relationship with other characters that hasn't really changed over the years, even if he might go on an adventure now and then.

Honey Hart and Turpentine have had the same ideas that fill their songs for the past five years and the same obsessions with each other. Maybe this strip will be the catalyst for a new direction.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Bell_ posted:

A fat, orange tabby hates Mondays, loves lasagna and has a relationship with other characters that hasn't really changed over the years, even if he might go on an adventure now and then.

Honey Hart and Turpentine have had the same ideas that fill their songs for the past five years and the same obsessions with each other. Maybe this strip will be the catalyst for a new direction.

Hmmm, I don't read that comic, but it doesn't look like there's any garfield I can remove from it, so I'll have to disagree. I mean the cat in that one page doesn't even talk, so it'd be pretty much the same.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I LOVE EXTREME MUTHEMATICS STICK HARD ANALYSIS UP MY DICKHOLE

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

woah jimmy
stimulating my brain and anus

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
[webcomic] minus lesbians would be an interesting test of an artist's ability to draw backgrounds/environments (in that that's all that would be left to look at, depending on the comic)

What was that one with the amoral dimension-hopping magic woman made of chocolate?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's a real triumph of representation that webcomics artists are brave enough to draw hot girls they want to bone making out and I won't have your snarky commentary diminishing that

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the other webcomic thread must be slow today

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

this IS the other webcomic thread

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Did the other webcomic thread at least make it to Pet Island before it died?

vvv Oh I completely lost track of it after a certain point. Like...the third board jump.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 8, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Did the other webcomic thread at least make it to Pet Island before it died?

the other webcomic thread is chugging strong in the chat zone

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Dabir posted:

this IS the other webcomic thread

To be fair you can only post so many vague comments about math sperg-bonanza (RIP) and opossum brawling a day. The other thread mostly talks about cats, owls and hating Jason Shiga.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

anti-magic posted:

and hating Jason Shiga.

To be fair I was naive and though that the thread would like Shiga's older stuff.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

To be fair I was naive and though that the thread would like Shiga's older stuff.

and you keep posting it anyway

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

and you keep posting it anyway

It's almost done, there's only 48 pages left.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Always fair to assume the thread hates everything. Except owls.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

anti-magic posted:

Always fair to assume the thread hates everything. Except owls.

at least half of the comics posted in that thread are extremely good poo poo and even most of the bad ones that get consistent play are being posted because multiple people find their badness legitimately entertaining, this is a fairly insane thing to believe

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that thread is however incorrect about hating Clarissa, one of the masterworks of our time

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my clitoris is the size, shape and incandescent intensity of a ghost chilli seed

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

quote:

Lesbians in webcomics

\
Overly Concerned Gay Lion

(Where the hell did I originally see this comic/that line from?)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

\
Overly Concerned Gay Lion

f-f-frick, it's the queercumber quest that bismuth posts, no idea of the real name

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
is anyone here reading sluggy freelance still?

wasn't it supposed to end this year, and does it look like it's really ending?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
ehheheh 69

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Archenteron posted:

Goodbye to Halos

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 8, 2016

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

goodbye to halos is good imo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This thing about lesbians is weird. No-one's out there like, "boy, there sure are a lot of straight couples in webcomics! Gimme a break, am I right?". Especially dubious when you consider that a pretty good chunk of the creators making comics with lesbians in them are some stripe of bi or gay women themselves.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
punching down is easy

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Android Blues posted:

This thing about lesbians is weird. No-one's out there like, "boy, there sure are a lot of straight couples in webcomics! Gimme a break, am I right?". Especially dubious when you consider that a pretty good chunk of the creators making comics with lesbians in them are some stripe of bi or gay women themselves.
Sure, but the rest are just horny dudes making their own lesbian wank material. And some of those guys try to wedge in some plea for open-mindedness points like it's the slightest bit shocking or even weird to see a gay person in 2016. That's what has gotten old as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Parts Kit posted:

Sure, but the rest are just horny dudes making their own lesbian wank material. And some of those guys try to wedge in some plea for open-mindedness points like it's the slightest bit shocking or even weird to see a gay person in 2016. That's what has gotten old as gently caress.

it's really easy to tell them apart though and band vs band doesn't fall into this category

like mocking dresden codak or I guess even QC for this makes sense but bringing it up in the context of something by a queer creator just seems bizarre

• Locked thread