Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Except for the weird robot übertroopers, I liked Medal of Honor Airborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xthetenth posted:

I'd also do a lot of messy pointless deaths for player characters. And a lot of the sense of things getting worse and worse as you go on. But I'm really unclear on the meaning of "fun".

It'd be cool if they had some ghostly voice that murmured "dulce et decorum est" as you spawned and then "pro patria mori" as your screen faded to black when you died.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

It'd be cool if they had some ghostly voice that murmured "dulce et decorum est" as you spawned and then "pro patria mori" as your screen faded to black when you died.

That's actually pretty good. Someone ought to make that mod for BF 1.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xthetenth posted:

That's actually pretty good. Someone ought to make that mod for BF 1.

If they don't end a chapter with the character dying over the course of minutes from a gas attack they'll be missing a hell of an opportunity. poo poo, if they didn't start off dropping bits of Kipling on you and slowly transitioning to the bitterest likes of Owen and Pound and Hemingway they'd really be missing hard on the essence of the war. 1918-1930 or so was a really, really, really dark place for a lot of people with a knack for words:

quote:

And Disillusion's slow corroding stain
Will creep upon each quest but newly tried,
For every striving now shall nothing gain
Because you died.

e: or

quote:

There died a myriad,
And of the best, among them,
For an old bitch gone in the teeth,
For a botched civilization.

To go from poo poo like In Flanders Fields and The Dead to In Memory of George Calderon, folks had obviously given up on things. Just full-on depressing cynicism that can only come from seeing every country in "the civilized world" decide to hold a bonfire where everyone's kid/husband/father gets to be the fuel. To circle back around to vidja games, I think they were brushing against that concept with BF 3 and 4, but kept falling short because it's tough to paint a picture of war as manifest futility when you've got Legit Evil Dude to fight against. What's WWI have along those lines? Wilhelm? Those rear end in a top hat Belgians Who Had It Coming For What They Did To Africa? Kitchener? I'd allow Beatty but let's be real here the naval combat is gonna be some on rails poo poo where you click to fire a broadside.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 7, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically a world war 1 game needs those bullshit hard sequences where you repeatedly die and respawn at a checkpoint and then get unceremoniously permakilled and moved to the next character

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
from my mother's sleep i fell into the video game

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phobophilia posted:

Basically a world war 1 game needs those bullshit hard sequences where you repeatedly die and respawn at a checkpoint and then get unceremoniously permakilled and moved to the next character

Nah, it's where you're an eyeless cripple laid up in a hospice bed alternating between the waking nightmare of artillery bombardment and MGS style attempts to find something to kill yourself with.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There's a lot of shooting alright, but consistently over the heads of the guys in the trench opposite, and then you all sing l'internationale. There's controversy over a sex scene because the trip to the brothel level is so depressingly true to life it gives the player syphilis.

Now I'm just thinking about George Baker, the video game. Press X to make lame pun. Try to escape the phantom yolande! Press any key to think about girls George, GIRLS

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
30yw survival horror

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

30yw survival horror

All the jumpscares are just evangelists praying at you

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

All the jumpscares are just evangelists praying at you
this is bad for real because if you grow a conscience you get less food/booze so eventually your stats start dropping

edit: press X to get drunk before you roll up into a village to make what you do easier

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

30yw survival horror

Survival horror isn't really the right genre to depict the 30 Year's War.

What you really need is an open world sandbox MMO. The players will create all the horror necessary after that.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Meanwhile, in other subfora...

Judakel posted:

The Civil War was horrific. Far worse than WWI.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Survival horror isn't really the right genre to depict the 30 Year's War.

What you really need is an open world sandbox MMO. The players will create all the horror necessary after that.

what happens in Magdeburg stays in Magdeburg...or else

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How about a Papers, Please type game where you're a put-upon low-ranking officer who has to censor the men's mail.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

dublish posted:

Meanwhile, in other subfora...

The POW camps were worse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

How about a Papers, Please type game where you're a put-upon low-ranking officer who has to guess which church everyone belongs to

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

How about a Papers, Please type game where you're a put-upon low-ranking officer who has to censor the men's mail.

There's an achievement for signing everything Washington Irving

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

i have read a dude attempting to sort every tiny village in his general vicinity by religion to figure out who...heh, gets to...have troops quartered on them that winter.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

i have read a dude attempting to sort every tiny village in his general vicinity by religion to figure out who...heh, gets to...have troops quartered on them that winter.

I like to think the guy would have had a mean streak, sorted his troops by obscure sectarian differences and made for the most awkward poo poo like shacking Moravians up with Presbyterians.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

How about a Papers, Please type game where you're a put-upon low-ranking officer who's in charge of arranging burials.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

I like to think the guy would have had a mean streak
this guy was an Imperial Kriegs-Commissarius who was attempting to handle things for a regiment whose Oberst was deathly sick, so whatever sort of person he had been before, he was really overworked and bitchy by the time he wrote the letters I ended up reading.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Say, side question about the earlier discussion on the British myth of the heroic soldier/administrator - what is the modern historical assessment of James Brooke of Sarawak?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Excuse me while I scurry for references that aren't Flashman's Lady. GMF has managed to get the phrase "there were some odd people about in the earlies" irrevocably stuck in my head when it comes to Brooke.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tomn posted:

Say, side question about the earlier discussion on the British myth of the heroic soldier/administrator - what is the modern historical assessment of James Brooke of Sarawak?

There is none. He doesn't fit in a lot of narratives.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why are we questioning the historical accuracy of vanilla Battlefield games again?

In Battlefield 1942 for some reason the Prince Of Wales was at Midway.

And flew the Stars and Stripes if I recall.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

feedmegin posted:

And flew the Stars and Stripes if I recall.

That sounds like Polish dreams of what the Allies were going to do for them:

"All the big British battleships and American aircraft carriers are going to sail over the horizon and they're going to take away all the bad people who are killing us and everything's going to be alright because they promised, and they started this war for us, and surely they wouldn't leave an Ally like us in the dust while thousands of our brave young men are fighting for them!"

:(

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

30yw survival horror

One of the best game ideas that I've heard in a long time.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
WWI Pro Evolution Soccer Football

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

How about a Papers, Please type game where you're a put-upon low-ranking officer who has to guess which church everyone belongs to

Pappenheim, Please :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

World War 1 game should have random gas attacks, where you need to perform a complecated sequence of keystrokes in order to put on your gas mask. After a short time limit, if you fail, you die

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

One of the best game ideas that I've heard in a long time.

press X to lose your ideals

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Napoleonic Wars Reverse Tapper, your a strugging desperate low ranking officer trying to smash as much barrels of beer and bottles of booze before your men drink them and start the horrific rapine of the urban settlement you are in.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Koba posted:

pappenheim, please :nallears:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

30yw survival horror

I'd play the poo poo out of this. Brightly colored Pyramid Head with a pike

edit: or your worst nightmare... A HALF PIKE

Animal fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 7, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The more sober you get, the more horrific it becomes. Plunder all the wine and beer you can get. Don't insult anyones honour though!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Comrade Koba posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Bagpipe Hero: with a plastic bag pipe controller you must inspire Highlanders into battle and strike fear into the hearts of your enemies.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lenoon posted:

There's a lot of shooting alright, but consistently over the heads of the guys in the trench opposite, and then you all sing l'internationale. There's controversy over a sex scene because the trip to the brothel level is so depressingly true to life it gives the player syphilis.

Now I'm just thinking about George Baker, the video game. Press X to make lame pun. Try to escape the phantom yolande! Press any key to think about girls George, GIRLS

This game is why God made greys and Browns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ainsley McTree posted:

This game is why God made greys and Browns

Yeah, but the first chapter or two really needs to be that sort of upbeat CoD-style thing in the bright colourful fields of France. Give them some time to actually charge across no-man's land and give the Boche a taste of cold steel, let them think it's all fun and games, and then you start ramping up the oppressively brown and grey mud and imminent death.

• Locked thread