Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Might be worth looking at auctions then. You got anything that can tow a rented vehicle dolly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

literally a fish posted:

Honestly given the absolutely ridiculous speed at which you can spend thousands on nickel and dime crap, I would really like to buy a running and driving donor vehicle, because that guarantees almost every part needed is already present

$700?

https://albany.craigslist.org/pts/5502692167.html

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Ah, I forgot to mention, I need a title. It looks a bit shady to strip an out of state vehicle and try to send it to a wrecker without the title.

Also, no photos, and nowhere near any of the current players unless you're offering to go check it out (in which case be my guest but I really need a title)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is this one of the trucks getting looked at in DC?
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5569746171.html

also this:
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/5572341401.html

e: guess they're too old, herp derp

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 7, 2016

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/ctd/5571729998.html

2 hours from adiabatic, and some sweet lockable toolboxes for him once the chassis gets scrapped.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

Anyone live in/near Norfolk, VA? http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5528223645.html

Though this was posted 29 days ago and seems way too cheap so there has to be something up or it'll be gone. VIN checks out though.

It's now on a salvage auction site.

"Buy it now" price is $1,125. Nobody has bid on it yet, so it could possibly be had for much less.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Lockable toolboxes hell, find another truck with a good Duramax diesel and a hosed up bed, swap with the work bed, have a goddamned service truck.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

It's now on a salvage auction site.

"Buy it now" price is $1,125. Nobody has bid on it yet, so it could possibly be had for much less.

well HELLOOOOOOOOOO.

250k miles though. Might be a problem.

E: I've been searching through salvage auctions in general and I think this might be a goer, actually... Plenty of repo'd or rear-ended things with LM7s and LQ4s.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 7, 2016

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

250k on an LM7? *shrug* Yep. Tough little fuckers. A friend of a friend's truck is at 450k and still doing fantastic (single owner, near perfect maintenance though).

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Ja, it's not that i'm concerned about 250k on an LM7, it's that I'm sliiiiiightly concerned about 250k of abuse and neglect on a 4L60E and to a lesser extent the LM7 itself.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Ja, it's not that i'm concerned about 250k on an LM7, it's that I'm sliiiiiightly concerned about 250k of abuse and neglect on a 4L60E and to a lesser extent the LM7 itself.

Also, when you ask a motor that's gone 250k at 290HP and ask it to put out 450HP, it might get angry at you. Not necessarily, but you'd certainly run a higher risk.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remember that a lot of salvage auction sites require a dealer license.

My schedule is shot to hell. I might be able to get an engine still, but at this point it will probably be *another* replacement for my loving Forester, because I have the worst luck with EJ25s.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
We can always tear down the engine relatively easily and measure poo poo. New gaskets and whatnot can't be too expensive, and we can inspect the water and oil pump clearances while we're there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Denmah's cores are all 200k plus mile engines and they seem to make the boosts fine. Sometimes they need a good cleaning if the PO didn't keep up with the oil changes but otherwise they seem to be quite solid.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Doesn't he also re-ring them all, though? I thought he did bearings too but it looks like not, so maybe I should worry less :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pretty sure he re-rings just to gap them properly for boost (and it's cheap), he uses original bearings, rod bolts, and everything else shamelessly, even proudly. It'll be fine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I thought he usually just filed the original rings down a bit to open up the gap?

I know for drat sure I've heard him mention doing that before on an engine, but I have no idea if he still does that.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So my brother has a 22' (I think thats how long it is) flatbed car trailer (and he is a goon). We are near Baltimore/Annapolis--so whatever you find around this area can be brought to Richmond....

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

alternate.eago posted:

So my brother has a 22' (I think thats how long it is) flatbed car trailer (and he is a goon). We are near Baltimore/Annapolis--so whatever you find around this area can be brought to Richmond....

Awesome! There's actually a couple of donors i've seen on CL up around there but blew off as too hard to physically get to/inspect, so that's a great help (now if CL people could just reply to texts and/or emails...)

I guess drop me a PM with your contact info? :sun:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

literally a fish posted:

Awesome! There's actually a couple of donors i've seen on CL up around there but blew off as too hard to physically get to/inspect, so that's a great help (now if CL people could just reply to texts and/or emails...)

I guess drop me a PM with your contact info? :sun:

I'm also a Baltimore area goon if extra set of eyes are needed. don't have a trailer though.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Hmmmm. Does anyone happen to be in Raleigh, NC with a truck/trailer that could tow an Express van?

VA won't let Adiabatic buy salvage titled vehicles without a broker in between but NC will and there's an express up for auction in four-ish days that would be perfect (2004, RWD, 6.0, rear-ended so not worth a lot to people looking to repair/flip)

Alternatively (heh) alternate.eago, would you/your brother be interested in a daytrip to raleigh with wes? :v:

E: oh also if there are any goons in VA who happen to have a dealer license, hit me up!

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 27, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
FWIW we only need the trailer, though logistics would make truck/trailer combo easier.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

literally a fish posted:

Hmmmm. Does anyone happen to be in Raleigh, NC with a truck/trailer that could tow an Express van?

VA won't let Adiabatic buy salvage titled vehicles without a broker in between but NC will and there's an express up for auction in four-ish days that would be perfect (2004, RWD, 6.0, rear-ended so not worth a lot to people looking to repair/flip)

Alternatively (heh) alternate.eago, would you/your brother be interested in a daytrip to raleigh with wes? :v:

E: oh also if there are any goons in VA who happen to have a dealer license, hit me up!

My uncle lives there with the truck part covered. No car trailer though. Could give him a ring if you got something good.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I used to have an auto dealer license but it's expired. Sorry dude.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I know Phone has a truck, not sure about a trailer.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
My RV could tow a trailer for added hilarity but no trailer. Also this is totally masturbatory because I'm in ATL and I don't trust that thing to make it past Lake Murray

e: I just like this thread a lot and want y'all to do cool stuff carry on.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

FWIW we only need the trailer, though logistics would make truck/trailer combo easier.

I can't drive a trailer. But I can probably borrow the truck/trailer. Gas would be a bitch though. I'll have to talk to him about using it.

He does have a winch on it so we can drag stuff up. And I know it has electric brakes.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

alternate.eago posted:

I can't drive a trailer. But I can probably borrow the truck/trailer. Gas would be a bitch though. I'll have to talk to him about using it.

He does have a winch on it so we can drag stuff up. And I know it has electric brakes.

That would be awesome :3: can we add you on Telegram or somesuch so Wes can discuss possibilities?

MrsAdiabatic posted:

My uncle lives there with the truck part covered. No car trailer though. Could give him a ring if you got something good.

this is the van we're looking at since it is RWD with a 6.0 (perfect combo) and probably won't sell for a lot as nobody wants a beat up old van

Plus it's kind of poetic to use a van as a donor for the van you know

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My friend might sell us his old 5.3 powered work truck for cheap too if the van doesn't work out, and it can be delivered directly.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Hey alternate.eago, would you be able to give this guy a call / check this out for moi? http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5611834394.html

E: if it's close enough to be convenient I mean, I am bad at US geography

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 3, 2016

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

literally a fish posted:

Hey alternate.eago, would you be able to give this guy a call / check this out for moi? http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5611834394.html

E: if it's close enough to be convenient I mean, I am bad at US geography

Man that almost looks too nice.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I HAVE PUT A DEPOSIT ON AN ENGINE AND TRANS.

Buckle the gently caress up boys and girls

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

gently caress you this is 'murrica you can't tell me to buckle up. :clint:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Excellent! Sorry I haven't been available for transport, but it looks like things are finally headed in the correct direction.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Sorry I didn't get back to you guys.... I got sick for about a week, then work picked way up.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

alternate.eago posted:

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys.... I got sick for about a week, then work picked way up.

Totally OK, poo poo happens :sun:

sharkytm posted:

Excellent! Sorry I haven't been available for transport, but it looks like things are finally headed in the correct direction.

Indeed! Also okay, see above. I don't suppose you'd be available to transport it down to RVA from Ken's (if that's even something you'd consider doing) somewhere in the next few weeks? :3:

E: heh I forgot to add the actual post content.

Engine seller will be delivering engine to Ken's place on Sunday. IDS HABBENDING. FUGG.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 18, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm reasonably certain the current plan is the engine will be brought down by Adiabatic or iForge after NEFR. If you guys can move it sooner that's fine with me too.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Yup, that's the current plan - but if it can be got down sooner that's all the better, post-NEFR cuts things a bit fine for my liking (but it will be what it will be)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I am excited to finally begin Phase 2 of Operation Vantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So who's going to do the honors of breaking in the rear suspension with LaF?

:quagmire:

• Locked thread