Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ak Gara posted:

Possible stupid question:

Do I need a monitor with a newer HDMI port to enjoy the GPU's new HDMI?
Depends on what you mean by enjoy the new one.

HDMI, like most modern digital connections, is both forward and backward compatible. The devices will negotiate what they're capable of and use whatever's available. You won't get any features that require newer revisions while using a mismatched setup, but it'll generally work just fine.

quote:

Also talking of HDMI 2.0b, when is Denon gonna come out with a 32 channel discrete amplifier? lol
Whenever home users start demanding more than 8 channels. Most people still don't even use 7.1 to its fullest. Hell, I'm a single nerd so WAF isn't even remotely a factor but my 6th and 7th speakers are still boxed up from the last time I moved because using them basically gives me one way I can set up my room and have it actually work right.

I've seen 9.2 (adds height channels in the front) and 11.2 (same in the rear) receivers on the market, but at this point I'm sure that's more of a checkbox feature where those outputs are shared with the multi-zone outputs some people actually use.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
So can anyone give a good description as to what a founders edition is and if its worth the premium?

Was going to hold onto my 980Ti until next gen but really tempted to sell it and wait a couple of months to grab a 1080 for the boost. Does that sound like a plan? I can walk into CEX here in the UK and get £300 right away this weekend if I didn' want to use ebay

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Here I am with a 1440p Freesync monitor praying for AMD to somehow pull something out of their rear end...

Or nVidia support for Freesync (doubtful)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

jisforjosh posted:

Here I am with a 1440p Freesync monitor praying for AMD to somehow pull something out of their rear end...

Or nVidia support for Freesync (doubtful)

Just get a 1080 and never hit lower framerates to trigger freesync :haw:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have the ROG swift G-Sync and I'm wondering what to do if I move forward with my plans in lieu of the 1080 announcement. I mean it would be kinda overkill to have a second monitor. Thats the only thing I'm wondering about now. I really, really have gotten used to the ultra smooth visuals and motion, but I know if I jump to 4k I'm going to be going back to 60hz.

2400. Without tax or shipping. Without that new 1080. Oh boy.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 7, 2016

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

KakerMix posted:

Just get a 1080 and never hit lower framerates to trigger freesync :haw:

I'm actually contemplating a 1080. Went from a 560 -> 670 -> 970. Sell my 970, have about $200 on an Amazon gift card, and then ready to go!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

codo27 posted:

2400. Without tax or shipping. Without that new 1080. Oh boy.

You don't need a 1000W PSU to run a 90W CPU and a 180W GPU.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

repiv posted:

You don't need a 1000W PSU to run a 90W CPU and a 180W GPU.

I like to leave some overhead in case I go SLI again in the future

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

codo27 posted:

Unless you're planning quad GPU's or some seriously buff rear end amount of secondary devices that's extremely overkill. Also, what are you really doing with 32 gb of RAM? Unless 'fuckload of Chrome tabs' or 'tons of VM's' immediately comes to mind 16 is already well above most needs.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
I wonder what DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready means.

Like they could flip the switch and support FreeSync if they wanted to, but they are not going to

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

calusari posted:

I wonder what DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready means.

Like they could flip the switch and support FreeSync if they wanted to, but they are not going to

Probably means that the ports comply with the 1.4 standard but that the certification process is not finished or ready yet.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I wonder if Tom still has a job or not. :ohdear:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ZobarStyl posted:

Also, what are you really doing with 32 gb of RAM? Unless 'fuckload of Chrome tabs' or 'tons of VM's' immediately comes to mind 16 is already well above most needs.

Look again

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

codo27 posted:

You still don't need a 1000w PSU. They make those G2s in 750w and 850w versions.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Why is everyone so hyped to buy the 1080? Yes, it's awesome to see such a large leap forward in performance, but I just don't see the games to play with it as opposed to a 980Ti right now, or even a 970 if you have a 1080p monitor and/or aren't constantly playing one of the like three games that benefit from the horsepower. Seems to me that would make a lot more sense to sit around and wait for the 1080Ti given the lack of demanding games out right now, unless you're one of those guys who buys a new SLI setup every 9 months.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

K8.0 posted:

Why is everyone so hyped to buy the 1080? Yes, it's awesome to see such a large leap forward in performance, but I just don't see the games to play with it as opposed to a 980Ti right now. Seems to me that would make a lot more sense to sit around and wait for the 1080Ti given the lack of demanding games out right now.

VR is demanding now though and you can't currently do sli with VR.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I got a 750w and I regret it because I couldn't sli my 980ti FTW with another one.

Go for 850w, or 1000w platinum.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

codo27 posted:

Look again
Oops saw 8x4. Apologies.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

KakerMix posted:

But again, VR right now is a great experience for like four hours and then... there's nothing. You can probably get those four great hours of experience a lot cheaper than 1500 bucks. The games just aren't there for the hardware yet. That, and this early VR hardware is still not that great and VR is still a gimmick.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

wolrah posted:

Whenever home users start demanding more than 8 channels. Most people still don't even use 7.1 to its fullest. Hell, I'm a single nerd so WAF isn't even remotely a factor but my 6th and 7th speakers are still boxed up from the last time I moved because using them basically gives me one way I can set up my room and have it actually work right.

I've seen 9.2 (adds height channels in the front) and 11.2 (same in the rear) receivers on the market, but at this point I'm sure that's more of a checkbox feature where those outputs are shared with the multi-zone outputs some people actually use.

I had a bolt of lightning hit like a block away from my house last week that fried my cable box and the HDMI inputs on my receiver. Sucks, but it's about 6 years old, so I'm not all that miffed about upgrading to the latest and greatest.

Seems like most AVR's are 7.1.2 or 9.1.2 today and I can't help but wonder what percentage of people would even be using those extra channels. Like you I have my own place but even getting 5.1 wired up and position reasonably in my living room was a real chore. Trying to add effects channels in my ceiling or multiple more side channels? Forget about that.

K8.0 posted:

Why is everyone so hyped to buy the 1080? Yes, it's awesome to see such a large leap forward in performance, but I just don't see the games to play with it as opposed to a 980Ti right now, or even a 970 if you have a 1080p monitor and/or aren't constantly playing one of the like three games that benefit from the horsepower. Seems to me that would make a lot more sense to sit around and wait for the 1080Ti given the lack of demanding games out right now, unless you're one of those guys who buys a new SLI setup every 9 months.

I'm the type that prefers to keep my card as long as possible between upgrades. Far too lazy to sell things second hand and keep up with the market that much. 1080 might not be the specific sweet spot of price/performance vs the 1070 that I'm looking for, but if it is I'll buy it. My current card (280X) is pretty long in the tooth so I'm ready now instead of limping along until whenever the 1080TI might come along.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KakerMix posted:

VR SLI (per-eye rendering) has been done on Maxwell and Fiji, since it's mostly a software issue. You still have to budget for the frame copy from the secondary card, which is where NVIDIA's oddly-not-NVLink bridge will help, but I have seen it work on current-gen cards with my own eyes, and give real gains. (The original work to bring it up was done with Hawaii and pre-release Fiji.)

I'm interested to see if they support that mode on Maxwell with the new drivers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Somehow I think NVLink will be an enterprise only thing.
And workstation-esque applications.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

K8.0 posted:

But again, VR right now is a great experience for like four hours and then... there's nothing. You can probably get those four great hours of experience a lot cheaper than 1500 bucks. The games just aren't there for the hardware yet. That, and this early VR hardware is still not that great and VR is still a gimmick.

nah

Subjunctive posted:

VR SLI (per-eye rendering) has been done on Maxwell and Fiji, since it's mostly a software issue. You still have to budget for the frame copy from the secondary card, which is where NVIDIA's oddly-not-NVLink bridge will help, but I have seen it work on current-gen cards with my own eyes, and give real gains. (The original work to bring it up was done with Hawaii and pre-release Fiji.)

I'm interested to see if they support that mode on Maxwell with the new drivers.

Yeah I am too. I have two Titan Xs (for other SLI supported games at 3440x1440 @ 100hz so i have an excuse ok!) and it would be aces if Nvidia did support this on Maxwell because then I could just keep my current system as-is and wait for the next Titan because I am one of those people. I didn't know you've actually seen SLI per-eye rendering support right now though, give it to me please thanks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

K8.0 posted:

There are plenty of right-now DX11 games that a single 980Ti cannot push at 1440p with most/everything turned on at >75FPS. Does this matter to everyone? No. Does this matter to people like me, with monitors snazzy enough to let me? Yes. Especially since, if you can somehow manage to sell your 980Ti for ~$400 now, you're talking almost a linear price:performance upgrade ratio, which is very good for a newly launched product. Plus a good bit more "future proof" in terms of what it brings to the table with DisplayPort, VR, DX12, etc.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HMS Boromir posted:

I've seen you post about this a lot and it's made me kind of curious - what exactly is it that's chaining you to the tiny boy graphics card form factor? Is it a PCIe slot spacing + other AICs blocking the way issue? Weird case?
I'm trying to pack as much poo poo as possible into a slim microATX case and I love tiny cases

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Didn't they ship that ages ago? This random guy is playing with the VR SLI sample on a pair of 770s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOV-xz0GFc

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

K8.0 posted:

There are plenty of people with 3440x1440 monitors, 2560x1440 monitors with high refresh rates and even 1920x1080 monitors with high refresh rates without a card that can push newer games at 100-150 FPS, there are also people with ultrawide or high refresh monitors that currently use an SLI or CF setup but want the ability to move back to a single card to avoid all the issues SLI/CF can come with.

Hell, I'm only on 1920x1200 at 60Hz with a 970 and I regularly see games dipping below 60 if I turn everything up to max, I'd like to see it never go under 60 even with everything turned way up so the 1070 looks really good to me right now.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm running an ultrawide off a 290 and I'm halfway to wanting a new card, but I'm holding out for big Vega because that should be roughly the same time as big Pascal and supports Freesync. I'm running modern pretty games at ~45 Hz and using Freesync to make up the difference so I really want the big card. Also I want money now to get my eyes shot with lasers.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Interesting point though - the 1080 will barely match the Fury X in GFLOPS. It does so at a significantly lower TDP, but in terms of raw performance output it's not keeping up given that it's supposed to be a next-gen chip. This implies that the DP/compute performance did indeed sap the SP performance, which may mean that a decently-sized Polaris can keep up or beat it, and/or that the AMD Value Train doesn't have brakes in this generation either.

Remember how the Fury X beat the 980 Ti in manufacturer benchmarks?

Manufacturer claims are best case until proven otherwise.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 7, 2016

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

K8.0 posted:

There's more VR games due out over time and 1440p ultrawide is a thing also. If you don't need either of those then enjoy a 1070 or firesale 9x0 for flawless 1080p 144hz with everything cranked up for the foreseeable future. Even if you don't have them now like me, it's good they're launching those cards now because by the time I've saved for a Vive or 34" 120Hz display then AMD might be putting up enough competition for the 1080 to drop in price.

Also there are several early access voxel sandbox titles that are hitting the limits of 4GB vram and 16GB system ram when you max out everything or run an infinitely scaling, random gen, world for multiplayer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

Didn't they ship that ages ago? This random guy is playing with the VR SLI sample on a pair of 770s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOV-xz0GFc

I'd understood there to be newer pieces related to scheduling, but maybe not. That's promising!

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

So going through the slides I didn't see any obvious references to DX12/async - was it confirmed during the event?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ZobarStyl posted:

So going through the slides I didn't see any obvious references to DX12/async - was it confirmed during the event?

They specifically mentioned async in the press release: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

But then again they specifically mentioned it with regard to Maxwell too :v:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Thunderbolt 3 can't come out soon enough on Macs so I can grab a Razer Core and GTX 1080 to finally ditch the need for another PC and get myself down to just a laptop and server for the first time in like... 12 years.

Also, I just realized something terrifying - what will be the Titan X of the Pascal generation then if this release for Pascal has performance numbers like this? Is it even possible to release a Titan series that makes any sense anymore given that nVidia is on a new process and architecture and doesn't really need to extend the life of a process node or archaic architecture?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

When they stop selling P100s at five-digit prices.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

repiv posted:

They specifically mentioned async in the press release: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

But then again they specifically mentioned it with regard to Maxwell too :v:
Yeah, it's almost just a throwaway line in there - 'sure, we improved async too I guess' just doesn't bode well in my mind. I feel like if there had been a genuine future-oriented change at the architecture level they would've pounded the table with it. Am I wrong to feel like we've seen a lot of great ticks but kinda underwhelming tocks lately from nV?

I'm torn between wanting new uarch's and being burned by misbegotten attempts to 'future-proof' a card. I vividly remember the buckets of ink and blood spilled by fanboys during the DX9.0b vs 9.0c days.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Zotac:
http://videocardz.com/59674/zotac-releases-its-geforce-gtx-1080
https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/geforce-gtx-1080

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

necrobobsledder posted:

Thunderbolt 3 can't come out soon enough on Macs so I can grab a Razer Core and GTX 1080 to finally ditch the need for another PC and get myself down to just a laptop and server for the first time in like... 12 years.

Also, I just realized something terrifying - what will be the Titan X of the Pascal generation then if this release for Pascal has performance numbers like this? Is it even possible to release a Titan series that makes any sense anymore given that nVidia is on a new process and architecture and doesn't really need to extend the life of a process node or archaic architecture?

The GP104 GPU used for the 1080 and 1070 is a mid-sized die part using GDDR5X. There will probably be a large die part coming later on with HBM2 that will be a 1080Ti or Titan. Since yields for the big die parts on the new process are low at this time and the 1080/1070 offer great performance for the time being it will probably be quite a long time before the 1080Ti/Titan part is released, likely sometime in 2017.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, a 1070 should be plenty to push 60fps at 1440p or at least 1080p for a good while, right? And if I can fit a 770 in my case, I'll be able to fit the 1070, right?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

wolrah posted:

Depends on what you mean by enjoy the new one.

HDMI, like most modern digital connections, is both forward and backward compatible. The devices will negotiate what they're capable of and use whatever's available. You won't get any features that require newer revisions while using a mismatched setup, but it'll generally work just fine.

I run my monitor at 3264x1836 @ 60 fps via dvi. If I swapped to a GTX 1080, would the HDMI out from that, plugged into the HDMI in on the monitor work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

I run my monitor at 3264x1836 @ 60 fps via dvi. If I swapped to a GTX 1080, would the HDMI out from that, plugged into the HDMI in on the monitor work?

Depends if the monitor supports HDMI 2.0. Older versions maxed out at 1920x1080, unless you dropped to 24/30hz.