Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

Straight Edge? I thought that was from the Dashboard Confessional era in 2000.

See, that's why I was confused. I saw the Straight Edge stuff in the early 2000s, so I never associated that doodle with it. I guess a bunch of 15 year olds swearing off drugs, sex and booze it doesn't really mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

You Are A Elf posted:

Here's my Trapper Keeper from the same era:

The Keeper fell apart many moons ago, but I recently found a matching Video Rock folder in some old storage stuff I had, and it brought me back to the Keeper. VIDEO loving ROCK YEAAAHHHHH :rock:

Well you're in luck: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Rock-Trapper-Keeper-Notebook-Vintage-Mead-/131799106610?hash=item1eafd6c432:g:p8kAAOSwubRXJpwH

(that Trapper Keeper loving rules)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

ITYOOL 2016, we say that to emphasize that poo poo that we thought we got over in ye olden times like ten or twenty years ago are still a thing.

Pretty much this, it's the first time I've ever used it to be honest!

That art style is so ubiquitous with the mid-eighties/early nineties to me. I guess it's airbrushed? You don't see it at all these days now everyone uses fancy pants photoshops.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 14:11 on May 6, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

I found someone who claims to know its origin on Reddit, which neatly explains why it's so common:

It actually goes back even further than that. It's from a bunch of semi-deceptive creative thinking puzzles that originally used matches or small sticks. They were a common thing in scouting since matches are a thing that you usually have. The classic puzzle presents you with three matches and asks you to turn them into six without breaking any of them. The solution is of course to re-arrange the three matches so that they form a V and an I to make the Roman numeral for 6, and the S puzzle is a variation on that theme.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There are lots and lots of those puzzles.

The one that pissed me off was the one which asks you to make four trangles (and only four triangles) with six matches. The answer is to form a 3D tetrahedron. Kind of bullshit if you ask me. Most other puzzles of that kind are 2D

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
No way, I totally had the Video Rock folder. I kept it in my trapper keeper that had an orangey cloud background with the words "ROCK N ROLL" Flying at you on big white angel wings.

shwag
Apr 23, 2008
Looking at all these made me wonder if I could remember the one I had then it took me all of 2 seconds to see it and remember. I had the super awesome kickin rad version below.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

shwag posted:

Looking at all these made me wonder if I could remember the one I had then it took me all of 2 seconds to see it and remember. I had the super awesome kickin rad version below.

Holy fuuuuuck, I had this one after Video Rock :aaaaa:

Trapper Keeper Krew :filez:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rondette posted:

Pretty much this, it's the first time I've ever used it to be honest!

That art style is so ubiquitous with the mid-eighties/early nineties to me. I guess it's airbrushed? You don't see it at all these days now everyone uses fancy pants photoshops.

It's airbrush. You can cover a lot of space quickly with an airbrush when painting with a bristled brush is pretty slow in comparison.

One of the big reasons that graphics and illustration shifted from being done in airbrush on paper or cellophane to digital is because it's a hell of a lot easier to make copy work with them. You had to photograph artwork and that required appropriate lighting, an camera that could shoot at the resolution you needed to produce high-quality prints, and you wait to get the photography of the copy work developed to make sure you even shot it right. A Photoshop document just has to be sent as an email attachment or uploaded to a server.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aggh, I can't find my old trapper keeper with the same ease you guys do.

However, I did get a flashback of the 90s era "designer" series of patterns, which I had several folders of, which looked like sorta abstract "Beyond The Mind's Eye" type cgi shapes, almost looking like a crooked landscape usually.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Trapper Keepers were banned according to my school district's supply list in the late 90s/early 00s. I never saw anyone get theirs taken away, but I still have no idea why they were banned.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Probably fallout from the stacked-pepsi-can-spelling-'SEX' hysteria that would come and go in waves targeting all sorts of mundane things over the years.

Someone probably made good money in that era travelling around from school board to school board doing paid presentations on ways to fold and spindle things into something vaguely offensive. Email forwards killed that good racket.

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

Grape Soda posted:

Trapper Keepers were banned according to my school district's supply list in the late 90s/early 00s. I never saw anyone get theirs taken away, but I still have no idea why they were banned.

Trapper Keepers were banned in my school too circa late 80's early 90's. Our teacher told us kids played with the velcro and that it was disruptive/made too much noise. Dumb.

I had one that was green and had hard rendered cubes and cones on it. Very futuristic.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Aggh, I can't find my old trapper keeper with the same ease you guys do.

However, I did get a flashback of the 90s era "designer" series of patterns, which I had several folders of, which looked like sorta abstract "Beyond The Mind's Eye" type cgi shapes, almost looking like a crooked landscape usually.

I can't find mine, either. It had to be designer series as well with blue and either pink/purple/silver jagged lines on it.

Trying to find it, I did find something that was popular for all of about 10 seconds.

There's a locker on your back ...

... when The Wiz is your pack.

I really wanted one that year, but couldn't find one in stores.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

You Are A Elf posted:

Please tell me the folders are Pee-Chee. I used to draw all over mine, as i'm sure everyone else did. Pretty sure we all had this S drawn somewhere on our Pee-Chee folders:

Here's my Trapper Keeper from the same era:

The Keeper fell apart many moons ago, but I recently found a matching Video Rock folder in some old storage stuff I had, and it brought me back to the Keeper. VIDEO loving ROCK YEAAAHHHHH :rock:

I had this one too!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Rondette posted:

That art style is so ubiquitous with the mid-eighties/early nineties to me. I guess it's airbrushed?

Stencils and airbrush, it took a shitload of work. There's a big glossy coffee table book about the LA airbrushing scene

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Ooooo, thank you! Just bought that, it looks awesome :)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Plavski posted:

Yeah, I remember back when they invented geometry in 1989 and everyone just went crazy for it.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
This thread reminded me of how loving weird 90's Dutch children's programming was. They were full of nudity and absolutely-not-veiled jokes about sex and drugs. We're not talking Johnny Bravo sex references here, more like penises flapping in the breeze and giant clitoris monsters. Sexuality was very openly discussed. I remember one sketch about homosexuality where they made jokes about Homo Sapiens cavemen spending time in holes (buttholes) and "doing it" with clubs (boners).

Sausagedog Titus finds love with a cat prostitute: an opera drama (subtitled)

My mom still makes fun of me for being terrified at 'Purno the Purno' as a kid. It's a surrealist cartoon about a guy in a purple suit. His adventures include saving Sanseveria the princess from a clitoris monster, snorting superman's uppers and fighting Pedo the Postman.

Purno and the Big Naked Lady (terrifying and :nws:)
Purno is swallowed by Vulva the Earth mother, ends up in tittyland. :nws:
Purno fights white supremacist laundry (subtitled episode)

I wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons though, mean-spirited humour is inappropriate. :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

shwag posted:

I would like to own this on a shirt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why isn't there a rad dog on it? :colbert:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Grape Soda posted:

I never had one for this reason. The way it was explained to me was that it wasn't fair for some students to have them because they were expensive and many kids' families couldn't afford them.

As an adult this seems way more altruistic and fair minded than I think a school district is actually capable of being, though I did live in a very mixed income area in elementary school.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

I liked the syndicated action/adventure shows from back then. Hercules, Xena, the Crow. So many for a few years.

The absolute worst one that I used to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaLv6M8CTmQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burger King Kids Club. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% certain) that they were designed by Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere, purely because "Jaws" there is basically Vince from Recess.

Also, they called the kid in the wheelchair "Wheels" - I feel as though there's something pretty 1990s about that in itself, in that "trying really hard with the best intentions in the world to be inclusive and diverse, but not quite managing as elegantly as they could have" way?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
See also: Captain Planet. The message was nice, but even as a little kid I knew that show sucked.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Crow Jane posted:

See also: Captain Planet. The message was nice, but even as a little kid I knew that show sucked.

In retrospect there's something that makes a hero team show that existed to function as environmentalist and multi-culturalist propaganda seem like a somewhat more noble exercise than that format's normal function as an extended toy commercial.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The episode where one of the Planeteers goes to Belfast cracks me up. I believe it has a bit where one of the characters exclaims, "You Fenian Prod!" which is one of those things that's so stupid it loops back around and becomes amazing.

If you're feeling witty, you could say that the exchange, "You'd beat each other up over a name?", "Why not? 'Tis as good a reason as any!" actually does a pretty good job of summing up the Troubles. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

My constant logical break with Captain planet was not using magical rings to summon a green mullet to punch radioactive men wearing Hawaiian shirts.

My hang up was "Hey, you have solar power SO GOOD you can run a flying submarine with it. Maybe that would help more than yelling at the nuclear power plant staff."

EDIT: I eventually started to wish for an antagonist who ran a natural disaster relief organization. "If I kill captain planet, there will be no more earthquakes!" "Sir, I don't think that's how it works-" "NO MORE EARTHQUAKES!"

And my insane mental tangents turn to Thunderbirds "International Rescue." My god, what would supermarionation Captain Planet look like?

Section Z has a new favorite as of 22:03 on May 7, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z posted:

And my insane mental tangents turn to Thunderbirds "International Rescue." My god, what would supermarionation Captain Planet look like?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

moller posted:

In retrospect there's something that makes a hero team show that existed to function as environmentalist and multi-culturalist propaganda seem like a somewhat more noble exercise than that format's normal function as an extended toy commercial.

Except there were lovely plastic Captain Planet toys as well, iirc.

I think that show was my first experience hate-watching something.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 22:49 on May 7, 2016

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Section Z posted:

My constant logical break with Captain planet was not using magical rings to summon a green mullet to punch radioactive men wearing Hawaiian shirts.

My hang up was "Hey, you have solar power SO GOOD you can run a flying submarine with it. Maybe that would help more than yelling at the nuclear power plant staff."

EDIT: I eventually started to wish for an antagonist who ran a natural disaster relief organization. "If I kill captain planet, there will be no more earthquakes!" "Sir, I don't think that's how it works-" "NO MORE EARTHQUAKES!"

Wasn't there a Captain Pollution two parter?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Star Man posted:

It's airbrush. You can cover a lot of space quickly with an airbrush when painting with a bristled brush is pretty slow in comparison.

One of the big reasons that graphics and illustration shifted from being done in airbrush on paper or cellophane to digital is because it's a hell of a lot easier to make copy work with them. You had to photograph artwork and that required appropriate lighting, an camera that could shoot at the resolution you needed to produce high-quality prints, and you wait to get the photography of the copy work developed to make sure you even shot it right. A Photoshop document just has to be sent as an email attachment or uploaded to a server.

The old way was to use different filters to create a line screen for each color with a process camera. When I was in school, we used a RIP station to create the dot and then shoot those on the process camera. You could then take the resulting film and paste them up with goldenrod. Rubylith was also involved. You used your hip to move the T-square because you were using your hands to hold the 90deg triangle that was the horizontal cutting edge. Then you overlay all the film on a light table and make sure it looks correct. Cut alignment marks with your X-acto knife. From there, you take the film and you expose the metal offset plates. Then develop and wash it. Do that four times. Next step, the press.

Keep in mind that I haven't done this in about 18 years or so, if I missed a step or said anything wrong, gently caress off. Also, airbrush is kickin' rad!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

whiteyfats posted:

Wasn't there a Captain Pollution two parter?

I want to say he showed up more than once. My favorite on the other hand was the episode where the whole thing was one big Frankenstein pastiche. It's like, the one episode we got to get a good look at Doctor Blight's messed up looking face instead of her hiding it behind hair, as she had herself a Bride of Frankenstein beehive in it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mostlygray posted:

The old way was to use different filters to create a line screen for each color with a process camera. When I was in school, we used a RIP station to create the dot and then shoot those on the process camera. You could then take the resulting film and paste them up with goldenrod. Rubylith was also involved. You used your hip to move the T-square because you were using your hands to hold the 90deg triangle that was the horizontal cutting edge. Then you overlay all the film on a light table and make sure it looks correct. Cut alignment marks with your X-acto knife. From there, you take the film and you expose the metal offset plates. Then develop and wash it. Do that four times. Next step, the press.

Keep in mind that I haven't done this in about 18 years or so, if I missed a step or said anything wrong, gently caress off. Also, airbrush is kickin' rad!

In my freshman year of high school in 2001-2002, my first project in my multimedia class was to make business cards. We were allowed to design them on the computer, but then we'd print out a sheet and then have to photograph them and develop negatives in the dark room and made plates. The printer that we had was this dinosaur of a machine that my teacher was trying desperately to keep working. She told us how it ran and how to operate it, but because of the shape that it was in, none of us were allowed to actually operate it. Our cards were only in black and white, so we didn't make a plate for each color. The whole process was something that I hated doing because I was a dumb fourteen-year-old kid that just wanted to learn Photoshop 6 and hated being in the dark room because I couldn't see anything with the low red light. I learned to appreciate it five years later when I was at a lovely for-profit school and they ran out of Adobe Creative Suite CS2 licenses for all of their computers and had to fall back on some licenses they still had from 2001. Everyone but me was pissed about having to use older stuff, while I handled things just fine because I learned Photoshop on 5.5 and realized that being forced to use old hardware and the dark room wasn't such a bad thing after all.

I really don't know a drat thing about print outside of that one experience. I know how to make copy work of paintings and other large images and how much stuff you need to get it done properly. A Wacom Cintiq takes up a hell of a lot less space than everything you'd need to illustrate on canvas, panel, or paper and the gear to make copy work of all of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Burger King Kids Club. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% certain) that they were designed by Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere, purely because "Jaws" there is basically Vince from Recess.

Also, they called the kid in the wheelchair "Wheels" - I feel as though there's something pretty 1990s about that in itself, in that "trying really hard with the best intentions in the world to be inclusive and diverse, but not quite managing as elegantly as they could have" way?

Yea, it seems like everything for kids in the 90s was super inclusive, but in retrospect it was pure tokenism. The disabled or POC kids are just there, while the main heroes were still the same white kids they always were. They also tended to be super sterotyped as well, black kid was always funky and played basketball.

Didn't Captain Planet notorious for having really horrible villains, like Dur Strumer horrible?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it seems like everything for kids in the 90s was super inclusive, but in retrospect it was pure tokenism. The disabled or POC kids are just there, while the main heroes were still the same white kids they always were. They also tended to be super sterotyped as well, black kid was always funky and played basketball.

Didn't Captain Planet notorious for having really horrible villains, like Dur Strumer horrible?

There was an episode where they went back in time to stop somebody from giving Hitler with a fu manchu nuclear weapons

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, Fu Man-Hitler!

His hatred is so powerful and intense that it's effectively pollution, so he's able to weaken Captain Planet by staring him down.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Also I always found it funny that one of the villains was named Duke Nukem (no relation)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Eco-Villains were never really given much motivation so they always seemed like they wanted to pollute for the sake of pollution. I guess a couple of them were motivated by money (either Hoggish Greedly or Verminous Skum or both) but I'm pretty sure the Planeteers managed to persuade whichever one it was to change sides by convincing them that there was money to be made in recycling and alternative energies.

One of the cartoons I remember watching alongside Captain Planet (possibly a 1980s holdover that Cartoon Network UK was still broadcasting) was this split thing where half of the show would be a Robin Hood story and the other half would be an Ivanboe one. Two of the recurring henchmen in Robin Hood were like that - there's one scene I remember where they've just found some stolen gold or something and they're going to take it back to Prince John, and one them sneers, "Let's take this back to our "good" king! Hahahahahaha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

In my freshman year of high school in 2001-2002, my first project in my multimedia class was to make business cards. We were allowed to design them on the computer, but then we'd print out a sheet and then have to photograph them and develop negatives in the dark room and made plates. The printer that we had was this dinosaur of a machine that my teacher was trying desperately to keep working. She told us how it ran and how to operate it, but because of the shape that it was in, none of us were allowed to actually operate it. Our cards were only in black and white, so we didn't make a plate for each color. The whole process was something that I hated doing because I was a dumb fourteen-year-old kid that just wanted to learn Photoshop 6 and hated being in the dark room because I couldn't see anything with the low red light. I learned to appreciate it five years later when I was at a lovely for-profit school and they ran out of Adobe Creative Suite CS2 licenses for all of their computers and had to fall back on some licenses they still had from 2001. Everyone but me was pissed about having to use older stuff, while I handled things just fine because I learned Photoshop on 5.5 and realized that being forced to use old hardware and the dark room wasn't such a bad thing after all.

I really don't know a drat thing about print outside of that one experience. I know how to make copy work of paintings and other large images and how much stuff you need to get it done properly. A Wacom Cintiq takes up a hell of a lot less space than everything you'd need to illustrate on canvas, panel, or paper and the gear to make copy work of all of it.

I took a graphic design class freshman year of high school, in 2001, and we learned on Photoshop 2.0. Sophmore year I took web design, for which graphic design was a prerequisite. The school also upgrades to Photoshop 7.0 that year. So most of my web design class was just learning Photoshop all over again. I don't think 2.0 had layers (but I could be wrong, it was 15 years ago and typing that makes me feel old).