Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

B-Mac posted:

Man are people really trying to justify prices increasing substantially year after year, just seems crazy to me. I guess good for nvidia if they can keep doing it and selling cards? Shareholders must be loving it.

It's just that the technology is getting more expensive. Like was said above it costs twice as much to produce a 16nm finfet wafer as it does a 28nm wafer. Now, when we look at these chips a full die Titan X (600 x 600 I think) the silicon is going to cost twice as much on the new Titan (whatever they call it) so yes, Nvidia has to charge more.

The other thing, and I think it's the elephant in the room, is that AMD just hasn't really wow'd anyone since the 7970 and even then they overcharged so they didn't gain market share. So in essence, like on the CPU side of things, there just is no competition on the ultra high end. And no.. a 295x2 isn't the same as a Titan. It's two GPUs you still deal with the lovely issues that Xfire and SLI have attached to them.

ALSO, I've heard from some reliable sources that Tri SLI does NOT work on these 10xx cards right now. Now that could be a driver thing, but someone who has 3 of these pretties at Nvidia and is a good friend of mine says right now TRI-SLI does not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

2400. Without tax or shipping. Without that new 1080. Oh boy.

Paying retail for Windows 10? Yeesh.

Also from what I remember that model of Acer had some quality control issues that might make it worth looking at other GSYNCs of similar size. Specifically the backlight bleed was absolutely horrendous. (Plus Acer's customer service is sort of mediocre)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Even though theres no benchmarks out yet the 1080 feels like it would be a sidestep from my 980tis SLI so i think i will wait for 1080 ti

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Awful app edits instead of making a new post and ate my post, but I found techpowerup benchmarks for 2560x1600 max Witcher 3:
980ti 51fps
980 40fps

And used the 70% difference reported on the official 1080 page to calculate a speculative 68fps for the 1080 in the same benchmark and a 28.57% percent difference between the 1080 and 980ti on that Witcher bench.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 7, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

B-Mac posted:

Man are people really trying to justify prices increasing substantially year after year, just seems crazy to me. I guess good for nvidia if they can keep doing it and selling cards? Shareholders must be loving it.

Indeed, after all R&D costs are a fantasy and newer, more advanced technology always costs less than older stuff to produce! :jerkbag:

Though personally I'm a fan of taking an old card, adding 4GB of useless VRAM and a decent cooler and bumping prices by 30%, seems like a pretty great deal to me!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

B-Mac posted:

didnt the gtx 980 retail at 549? what increase are you talking about

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah, the two stage high end milk is pretty standard by now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the 780 was introduced at 649, which was even more expensive than this

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Indeed, after all R&D costs are a fantasy and newer, more advanced technology always costs less than older stuff to produce! :jerkbag:

Though personally I'm a fan of taking an old card, adding 4GB of useless VRAM and a decent cooler and bumping prices by 30%, seems like a pretty great deal to me!

Thanks man I appreciate the sarcasm. Where did I say it didn't cost money to research and then develop these cards and that nvidia should sell them for a loss? Anyway I don't feel like getting in an Internet slap fight but $600 for roughly 25% increase over the 980ti seems pretty sad for such a jump in node process. I hope AMD is competitive so prices can stay at least a little sane.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Fauxtool posted:

Yes I believe. 1080 will debut at $599 and $699 for the founders edition.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think that qualifies as a substantial increase especially when you average with the 1070

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
8800GTX MSRP'd for around $650 too I believe. Price gouging frequently made it sell for more like $700 though.

Last time the top end GPU's tended to stay around $300 was 2004 I think. Though there exceptions to that. I remember the GF2 Ultra sold for over $500 back in the early 2000's which was jaw dropping for the time. Prices on the high end have been silly for a while really.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

introductory prices:
770: $399
780: $649
780ti: $699

970: $329
980: $549
980ti: $649

1070: $379
1080: $599

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_900_series

yep totally increasing each generation

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 7, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well my 980ti still chews through anything I can throw at it, so I can't see myself dropping the coin until I get into VR (where the 980ti is not exactly weak) or something new comes that needs it.

That said, I can't wait to see real-world performance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

slidebite posted:

That said, I can't wait to see real-world performance.

Same, I have a 2500k and a GTX 770. It's working well now, but depending on what the real benchmarks show this is probably time to jump.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Awful app edits instead of making a new post and ate my post, but I found techpowerup benchmarks for 2560x1600 max Witcher 3:
980ti 51fps
980 40fps

And used the 70% difference reported on the official 1080 page to calculate a speculative 68fps for the 1080 in the same benchmark and a 28.57% percent difference between the 1080 and 980ti on that Witcher bench.

What is the clocks on these? 28-29% sounds about right, some comparisons were floating about of 25-30% performance improvement, but with a 60% clock difference when using published stock boost clocks (1076 vs 1733). This means a 980ti can trade punches with GP104 up to 2.0ghz, but then gets left in the dust without special cooling past that. All the while power draw difference looks to be massive, and GP104s actual clock limit looks pretty close to 2.4ghz. GP104 will also have advantages in VR and compute heavy tasks which can hobble a 980ti.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

What is the clocks on these? 28-29% sounds about right, some comparisons were floating about of 25-30% performance improvement, but with a 60% clock difference when using published stock boost clocks (1076 vs 1733). This means a 980ti can trade punches with GP104 up to 2.0ghz, but then gets left in the dust without special cooling past that. All the while power draw difference looks to be massive, and GP104s actual clock limit looks pretty close to 2.4ghz. GP104 will also have advantages in VR and compute heavy tasks which can hobble a 980ti.

This is what I used for the 980/980ti benchmarks:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1011-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/

quote:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6144MB)
Gainward GeForce GTX 980 (4096MB)

quote:

The base clock speed of the GTX 980 Ti is 1000MHz, with Boost Clock speed of 1075MHz, it matches the Titan X. The Boost Clock speed is based on the average GTX 980 Ti card running a wide variety of games and applications.
So stock 980ti and I guess a 3rd party 980.

I pulled the 70% difference between the 980 and 1080 in Witcher 3 from:
http://deliddedtech.com/2016/05/07/hidden-information-found-in-source-code-of-nvidias-gtx-1080-page/

quote:

The graph that compares the GTX 980 to the 1080 in the ‘performance’ tab doesn’t display exact numbers, meaning most readers are forced to estimate the values. I opened up the inspect element to view the width in pixels of the chart bars, and used simple math to determine the percentage difference. The GTX 1080 performs 70% better in Witcher 3 and 80% better at Rise of the Tomb Raider than the GTX 980, according to the benchmark. These benchmarks were conducted at max settings @ 2560×1600, according to a comment in the source.
Not sure if that's the stock reference clock speed or if they overclocked it for those results, but I'd assume the former I think

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 7, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If I sold the 980Ti now, then what is the wait time till a 1080 arrives for purchase? I heard end of May to September which is pretty broad. I am not going without VR for the Summer, no sir.

I may just hold onto the Ti until the 1080Ti arrives and if I flip it for $300 id be happy. Also do we know how cut down the 1070/1080 are from a full GP100 chip? (and not the newest Tesla which is still cut down from a full chip).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

If I sold the 980Ti now, then what is the wait time till a 1080 arrives for purchase? I heard end of May to September which is pretty broad. I am not going without VR for the Summer, no sir.

I may just hold onto the Ti until the 1080Ti arrives and if I flip it for $300 id be happy. Also do we know how cut down the 1070/1080 are from a full GP100 chip? (and not the newest Tesla which is still cut down from a full chip).

1080 and 1070 are GP104. No firm specs other than 8GB and the few benchmarks given.

Availability is supposedly in three weeks, although it might be very low-stock at launch.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

There's third parties saying they're launching by June so I'd expect by then at least.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRjbYdcXbs

The gameplay starts at 48 seconds.

The 1080 pushes 120-200 FPS at Ultra in 1080p with Vulkan enabled.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 7, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"The GeForce GTX 1080 is almost irresponsible levels of performance"

What the gently caress does that even *mean*?! Irresponsible is not a a valid adjective in this context!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I think the only thing keeping me from jumping on a 1080 instead of a 1070 is the need for seeing some benchmarks, which I'd have to imagine are coming within the next week, maybe 2, so that people have time to digest the info and then prepare to :f5: furiously when it's time to place an order.

Barry posted:

Yeah, I just learned my lesson that any old "surge protector" isn't really a good idea to put a few thousand dollars of electronics behind. Definitely getting something legit.

What I linked earlier is nice but if you don't have a battery backup you should get one for your PC (everyone should, tbh). You can plug your critical stuff (PC, main monitor, router/modem/etc) in to the battery backup plugs and other stuff like secondary monitors, speakers, and so forth in to the non-battery outlets on it, with using the good surge protector strips for TV and whatever other electronics are plugged in elsewhere.

Or use a battery backup for those as well but eh, probably a bit overkill unless you're on your TV constantly. :shrug:

ElTipejoLoco posted:

The rest of the machine's as old as the DH55TC motherboard it's cobbled onto, which I guess is an i7. I was thinking of just upgrading its ram from 4 GB to 16, actually.

If you have a 5-6+ year old PC I'm not sure how effectively you'll be able to use a 1070 or 1080 since the rest of the system won't be nearly as powerful. 16GB of decent RAM is pretty cheap though (less than $100) and if you have something like an i7-920 that's probably still ok but not amazing. Others will be able to give a better breakdown on it than I can. Having an aging PC with a new kickass video card is a bit of a waste though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"The GeForce GTX 1080 is almost irresponsible levels of performance"

What the gently caress does that even *mean*?! Irresponsible is not a a valid adjective in this context!

It's irresponsible because you're paying a lot of money for it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRjbYdcXbs

The gameplay starts at 48 seconds.

The 1080 pushes 120-200 FPS at Ultra in 1080p with Vulkan enabled.

Mother of gently caress

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's irresponsible because you're paying a lot of money for it.
plus the 1080ti comes out 7 months later and will cost only 100 dollars more :homebrew:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

introductory prices:

Extending this a little further back:

470: $349
480: $499

570: $349
580: $499

670: $399
680: $499

770 (680 rebrand): $399
780: $649
780ti: $699

970: $329
980: $549
980ti: $649

1070: $379
1080: $599

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

For the x70 series you have $350, $350, $400, $400, $329, $379

For the x80 series you have $500, $500, $500, $649, $550, $600.

I'd say that the x80 series have been trending up within the last couple while the x70 series has held relatively constant. The 780 is way above the trendline and the 970 is way below it.

I don't think it's particularly useful to look at the x80 Ti models, since there's only a sample size of two and both of them were "oh poo poo" panic reactions to new AMD cards undercutting their halo-tier products (the 290X undercut the Titan and the Fury X undercut the Titan X). They are resultingly pretty good bargains, but they never would have been released without competitive pressure.

But yeah, the processes have been getting more expensive over time and those prices are measured in nominal dollars, not inflation-adjusted real dollars. Not a huge factor but it takes a little bit out of the real prices.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 7, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, inflation takes the 500 from 2012 for the 680 to 520 in 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DrDork posted:

Sell the 980Ti on Amazon

Keep in mind if you sell on amazon the person gets a 30 day return policy that you have to honor.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

Keep in mind if you sell on amazon the person gets a 30 day return policy that you have to honor.

"Electronics: Electronics products can be returned if postmarked within 30 days of the delivery of the original shipment to the buyer.

If the item is shipped as New or Used and is defective or damaged upon receipt, the buyer must report the defect/damage to you within 14 days of receipt and make return arrangements.
If the item becomes defective more than 30 days after shipment and is under warranty, please assist the buyer in pursuing a warranty claim with the manufacturer."

You can charge restocking fees, it must be returned in same working condition

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 7, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The other thing here is that what's being launched in three weeks is actually the Founder's Edition cards, so you could reasonably say that the launch price for the 1080 is actually $700 and the 1070 is $450. Which is way above the curve, those are both the most expensive cards in their performance classes that NVIDIA has ever launched by far. They even beat out the 780.

At some currently-undisclosed date in the future, the base edition will be launched, but prices always decline over time. And depending on parts availability, yields, and demand - it could be quite a while before they start launching the cheaper models.

I think this will be particularly true of the 1080 - GDDR5X is only just entering volume production (if it even has yet) and I think this will severely constrain supply of the 1080. I think we'll probably see a small quantity released at launch but not full volume production for another 3-ish months.

Also of note is that Anandtech thinks that only the Founder's Edition will have a vapor-chamber blower cooler, they think the base model will get open coolers instead.

http://anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 7, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Paul MaudDib posted:

The other thing here is that what's being launched in three weeks is actually the Founder's Edition cards, so you could reasonably say that the launch price for the 1080 is actually $700 and the 1070 is $450. Which is way above the curve, those are both the most expensive cards in their performance classes that NVIDIA has ever launched by far. They even beat out the 780.

At some currently-undisclosed date in the future, the base edition will be launched, but prices always decline over time. And depending on parts availability, yields, and demand - it could be quite a while before they start launching the cheaper models.

I think this will be particularly true of the 1080 - GDDR5X is only just entering volume production (if it even has yet) and I think this will severely constrain supply of the 1080. I think we'll probably see a small quantity released at launch but not full volume production for another 3-ish months.

Also of note is that Anandtech thinks that only the Founder's Edition will have a vapor-chamber blower cooler, they think the base model will get open coolers instead.

http://anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

There's nothing on Nvidia's site that would make me believe that their reference 1080GTX won't have the vapor chamber, but of course OEMs are able to put whatever they want in there.

Edit: The only mention of such on their product page is"
code:
GROUNDBREAKING NEW DESIGN

The new GeForce GTX 1080 is meticulously crafted to offer superior heat dissipation using vapor chamber cooling technology and premium materials, so it runs as cool as it looks.
Since it doesn't mention Founder's edition, we can probably assume it means all reference cooler designs.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 8, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I don't think reference 970s or 980s had a vapor chamber, so I could see that as part of a differentiation scheme.

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
I think it's definitely time for me to upgrade to this upcoming generation (probably 1070). I have a gtx690 kicking around still, is it worth trying to sell for anything or should I just slot it into a minor computer?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Where are you getting this?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The anandtech article agrees at the very least.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

xthetenth posted:

http://anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2 This one? It says they're waiting on confirmation either way.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

xthetenth posted:

NVIDIA has it on their blog too:

quote:

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" will be available on May 27 for $699. It will be available from ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, NVIDIA. Palit, PNY and Zotac. Custom boards from partners will vary by region and pricing is expected to start at $599.

The GeForce GTX 1080 will also be sold in fully configured systems from leading U.S.-based system builders, including AVADirect, Cyberpower, Digital Storm, Falcon Northwest, Geekbox, IBUYPOWER, Maingear, Origin PC, Puget Systems, V3 Gaming and Velocity Micro, as well as system integrators outside North America.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 "Founders Edition" will be available on June 10 for $449. Custom boards from partners are expected to start at $379.
http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

Notably absent: a release date for the base edition cards.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 8, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oh yeah that makes sense then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Pictured: Tom's final day as an NVIDIA employee