Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is going to 50 str worth it for the Fume Great Sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Poise working the way it does now obviously isn't intentional because it doesn't do anything. There are a bunch of skills, weapons, and other stuff that boosts poise but tons of testing and nobody can see any effect the increased poise actually has. They wouldn't of made constant references to poise if they didn't want it to do anything. However, the poise system that's current in the game but disabled? That has to be intentional. No way could they just forge to set the right value and not patch that ages ago.

So what probably happened was From decided close to release that they didn't like the poise system, so they disabled it. Rather than delay the release they just shipped the game without poise. They didn't bother to rebalance the rest of the game around the lack of poise though, which is why we've got all the descriptions referencing a system that doesn't exist. They'll probably patch in some new kind of poise system in the first major balance patch, but who knows how long that will take.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pomp posted:

i wanted to like being a blue cop but basically everyone who equips way of the blue is a massive bitch who's terrified of anything less than a 4v1 and just summons someone else if one of us manages to die somehow.

The last time I got a blue cop (The ONLY time I got a blue cop), it was in the Smouldering Lake while the ballista was active.

The blue cop found me chasing after the phantom running from me, after one too many times of my insanity getting us both hit by ballista bolts to make up for my Mediocre PvP skills (They must have been taking for granted the fact the bolts aim at me).

We both finished the job as he was trying to crystal out. Wave goodbye to the nice blue cop *smashed by ballista as Blue cop fades out* I'm okay!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkOjAKkAg5Y

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I was blue coping I actually got killed by a guy throwing a firebomb at me. He then did the Patches Squat on top of my corpse.

Instead of getting mad I laughed because his character was literally Trusty Patches.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DangerDongs posted:

You only have to go to 34 str to wield it two handed. I don't know whether 50 str for one handed is worth it or not but there's that, at least.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I know I shouldn't really be using the cathedral knight greatsword because you could write a frickin' novella in the time it takes to swing it, but I just love it. Looks awesome and deals strike damage which only a tiny amount of enemies are strong against. And ~550 physical damage plus another ~100 with great magic weapon isn't anything to sneeze at.

Section Z posted:

I love it when the items near lurking enemies is an alluring skull pickup :allears:

"Hah, I showed them. These only fool idiots!-wait."

I gotta say that I got a hilariously delayed reaction from that one hollow in the irythill dungeons who charges you out of a side cell once you grab the item. On my first playthrough I was at kind of a funny angle so when he lunged out he went right past me over the edge.
Cue NG+ and I'd completely forgotten about him, so of course then he manages to ram me right off.

Pomp posted:

i wanted to like being a blue cop but basically everyone who equips way of the blue is a massive bitch who's terrified of anything less than a 4v1 and just summons someone else if one of us manages to die somehow.

I run with Way of the Blue equipped pretty much 24/7 unless I'm invading or sunbro-ing. I mainly do that because FROM is dumb and made it the only way for blue cops and darkmoons to do anything, and I want to help give them something to do. If I get invaded it's one on one unless the cops show up.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 7, 2016

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
https://gfycat.com/SeparateMealyAnkole

https://gfycat.com/EssentialWarpedBuzzard

I think I love this axe!

https://gfycat.com/NextEvilHoki

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

How is it possible that I don't have the Exile Greatsword even though I killed the guy who carries it and I never sold it?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Jesus, what SL are you with that much HP?

Internet Kraken posted:

When I was blue coping I actually got killed by a guy throwing a firebomb at me. He then did the Patches Squat on top of my corpse.

Instead of getting mad I laughed because his character was literally Trusty Patches.

One of the times I had a cop show up to help I was fighting a mad phantom that had invaded me in that area where you fight the fire demon with siegward. Bluie fought the phantom for a few seconds, took a few bad hits, and then ran off. I was about to get creamed by the phantom when the cop does a plunging attack from the balcony in that area, right on top of the mound maker.
Dude had run all the way up there, killed the dogs and then waited for the right moment. Inefficient and impractical but :c00lbert: as all hell.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've lost track now of how many times I've been killed because of the poise bug. How do I fix it? Google just tells me there is a way without anyone ever explaining how.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Jesus, what SL are you with that much HP?

IDK if I did a good job with my stats but I'm having a good time with it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Stokes posted:

No, it's pretty much the truth. First of all fight clubs are dumb and don't count at all. I'm talking about invasions. When you invade mid-battle into a host plus 1 or more phantoms that may or may not have all their estus charges, and who usually waste their charges by healing after 1 or two hits. Eventually the host, who in most cases panics with their charges as well, will run out. Hence estus management.

Ah yes I see now.

Eustus management is the key to winning if the host is alone, bad, or maybe has 1 other phantom, who is also bad, they have to already be half dead, decide not to flee, summon other phantoms, way of the blue, seed, or use miracles, etc.

You know when Eustus management is not even something you think about? Literally any other situation ever, including that one, unless you are as bad as they are and do nothing but trade blows till you win through eustus attrition, oh wait, I mean 'managment'.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ever since I heard that poise is in the game but just disabled I've been getting progressively madder every time an enemy does a weak looking hit that staggers me when I'm dressed in full medium/heavy armor. You people who just always rock light armor anyway because that's what you find cool (and that's fair and fine) don't know this pain.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DangerDongs posted:

Not really, its moveset kind of blows. Also due to scaling, if you have like 20dex it'll have the exact same attack strength as the Black Knight UGS which is hilarious and disappointing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If someone other than the host gets the kill on Ancient Wyvern the cutscene has their character instead.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So Mound-builders get 2 vertebrae from killing invaders? Does this apply to all phantoms or just dark spirits? I was summoned in Farron keep and helped the host fend one off. It's nice being helpful sometimes.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

argondamn posted:

If someone other than the host gets the kill on Ancient Wyvern the cutscene has their character instead.

I invaded someone before and got to watch the cutscene of them getting tricked by Patches.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It's so frustrating that some enemies have a 'poison mist' type spell and it looks like it would be amazing as smoke coverage in PVP. Then you try both poison mist and the Storyteller Staff special ability and it's absolutely underwhelming. I got better smoke cover out of poison mist in Dark Souls 1.

edit: Not to get salty but why the hell did they even add poison to the player's arsenal?

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 7, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The Wonder Weapon posted:

How is it possible that I don't have the Exile Greatsword even though I killed the guy who carries it and I never sold it?

Possibly a stupid question, but did you actually pick it up? It doesn't automatically go into your inventory. It should be on the ground where they spawn, though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Monomythian posted:

I invaded someone before and got to watch the cutscene of them getting tricked by Patches.

I once murdered a guy after watching him get married to Anri

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Is there some hidden benefit to the dark sword that I'm missing? I've got one refined and fully leveled up, but I'm only seeing a boost of like 15 damage over the sunlight straight sword that I was using before. Does it stagger more? Longer swing range? Is stomp really useful and I should be abusing it more?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my fast rolling dual avelyn build might have been a bad idea... why do crossbows do so little damage

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
While we're talking about poise, this bullshit right here. For some weapons and attacks, you apparently can be staggered out like whatever. But here the guy clearly hits you all the time, but the Axe completely ignores it and keeps swinging. Of course it's great, it cheats the system! When I swing my Greatsword, if at any point my enemy's breath lightly brushes my cheek, my character is like WHOA poo poo and that's it with the swing. I'd love to just trade hits like in DS2 if the enemy is dumb enough to try that when his weapon is weaker, but Short Sword < Greatsword doesn't work if the SS always wins by swinging quicker.

Otoh, the Greatsword ALSO doesn't win against Greataxe, because THOSE swings are apparently completely unstaggerable. I don't think that's really "enough poise on their armor" or whatever, Yhorm's weapon, the Dragonslayer Greataxe etc. are just so good because you can swing and NOT get staggered out of the swing. You pretty much have to know that against this weapon, you can forget being "quicker" and stagger them out, be loving careful or they'll push your poo poo in. God help you if they decided to up Stamina enough for one more swing than you'd think they can do.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Simply Simon posted:

While we're talking about poise, this bullshit right here. For some weapons and attacks, you apparently can be staggered out like whatever. But here the guy clearly hits you all the time, but the Axe completely ignores it and keeps swinging. Of course it's great, it cheats the system! When I swing my Greatsword, if at any point my enemy's breath lightly brushes my cheek, my character is like WHOA poo poo and that's it with the swing. I'd love to just trade hits like in DS2 if the enemy is dumb enough to try that when his weapon is weaker, but Short Sword < Greatsword doesn't work if the SS always wins by swinging quicker.

Otoh, the Greatsword ALSO doesn't win against Greataxe, because THOSE swings are apparently completely unstaggerable. I don't think that's really "enough poise on their armor" or whatever, Yhorm's weapon, the Dragonslayer Greataxe etc. are just so good because you can swing and NOT get staggered out of the swing. You pretty much have to know that against this weapon, you can forget being "quicker" and stagger them out, be loving careful or they'll push your poo poo in. God help you if they decided to up Stamina enough for one more swing than you'd think they can do.

It's "Hyper Armor" If I time my swing it will keep going regardless and with my HP and dmg I can trade hits, winning most fights.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you use that miracle that draws enemies attention to you and die, do the enemies go after the host if you are a summon?

Totally not asking for griefing purposes of using that miracle and running through the level then dying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its the hyperarmour mechanic; some attacks give you 'hyperarmour', which basically means you can't be staggered by most attacks during it. Its a good mechanic in theory, but in practice its pretty frustrating because there's no consistency with how it works. Some weapons get hyperarmour on basically every attack, while others do not. Some attacks have hyperarmour for the entire attack, while others only have it for certain parts of the animation. With no visual or audio indicator, the only way you can figure out when you can actually stagger another player is through trial and error.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its the hyperarmour mechanic; some attacks give you 'hyperarmour', which basically means you can't be staggered by most attacks during it. Its a good mechanic in theory, but in practice its pretty frustrating because there's no consistency with how it works. Some weapons get hyperarmour on basically every attack, while others do not. Some attacks have hyperarmour for the entire attack, while others only have it for certain parts of the animation. With no visual or audio indicator, the only way you can figure out when you can actually stagger another player is through trial and error.
That's exactly my beef with it! I suspected so far that this was the case, but because I wasn't totally sure until reading this thread more deeply that poise was actually, truly busted and had also never heard the term "Hyperarmor" or something similar before, I was never quite certain that the "lol no stagger" Axe enemies I encountered just DID have enough poise, or if it was a weapon property. It's especially nonsensical because I really like clubs, and let me tell you about the cool hyperarmor my gargoyle hammer gets: farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Simply Simon posted:

That's exactly my beef with it! I suspected so far that this was the case, but because I wasn't totally sure until reading this thread more deeply that poise was actually, truly busted and had also never heard the term "Hyperarmor" or something similar before, I was never quite certain that the "lol no stagger" Axe enemies I encountered just DID have enough poise, or if it was a weapon property. It's especially nonsensical because I really like clubs, and let me tell you about the cool hyperarmor my gargoyle hammer gets: farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

When it comes to PvE enemies, it is often both. Because PvE Enemies have working poise (Lothric knights not so much. Catherdel knights on the other hand...), AND hyper armor on attacks with such.

All the poise stuff is why I've settled on normal greatswords this time around for my first run. I was eying the Great Mace before release because I always wanted the cool "Normal mace, but larger" the Berenike knights had in DS1, but haha no I'll stick with my Flamberge or other stuff my sense of timing can still interrupt a leaping dog with, thanks. Even though it has basically nothing the way of hyper armor.

I'll possibly give it a shot if I don't try dex things instead on an eventual second run. My desires are so inefficient that hitting 40-50 in STR or DEX at a level 80 self imposed cap is basically haha no anyways.

East West Shield by the way, is the lightest shield in the game (2.0) that can deflect all rat attacks. There are "Small" Shields with better stats, or even higher weight, but they can't deflect the rat's lunging bite. Good for anyone having issues with a crowd of otherwise pancaked enemies with their big slow stuff that doesn't get Black Knight levels of Hyper armor, but don't want to carry around a shield to hide behind everything.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 7, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Bloodborn Player jumps into Dark Souls 3 :laugh:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJB0rD_a8Q

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

It's a mechanic that's in all the souls games, and bloodborne. I knew what it was conceptually, but only heard the term hyperarmor when I was watching one of EpicNameBros videos.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I got 5 Cracked Red Eye Orbs from Leonhard, then he disappeared after I beat Abyss Walkers. I beat Deacons and Pontiff and he's still not back. There's no way to get the full red eye orb now is there? :(

Dunno what it is about this guy but he has me in stitches. love it

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 7, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Anal Surgery posted:

I got 5 Cracked Red Eye Orbs from Leonhard, then he disappeared after I beat Abyss Walkers. I beat Deacons and Pontiff and he's still not back. There's no way to get the full red eye orb now is there? :(

you must acquire 'tongue' and he will come back

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

Do you have at least one tongue? There's a free one in the firedemon area where Siegward helps out.

Switched.on posted:

It's a mechanic that's in all the souls games, and bloodborne. I knew what it was conceptually, but only heard the term hyperarmor when I was watching one of EpicNameBros videos.
I followed the DS2 thread for at least a year and never heard of anything like that. Probably because in DS2 PvP, there was no need to complain about those mechanical intrinsities.

By the way, I'm not really as salty as I sound, it's just...baffling and I guess I'm a little annoyed at myself because I didn't know about this stuff at all, and that would have saved me a lot of issues during PvP fights...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SciFiDownBeat posted:

my fast rolling dual avelyn build might have been a bad idea... why do crossbows do so little damage

Use splintering and exploding bolts :getin:

Why did they not at least bring dual stancing back for Avelyn?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anal Surgery posted:

I think you need to find a pale tongue and he'll be there.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think you need to find a pale tongue and he'll be there.

oh poo poo, i skipped the tongue part. i'm a dope thanks everyone

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Requesting thread name change to Dark Souls 3: Lothric Castle Doctrine.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Do you have at least one tongue? There's a free one in the firedemon area where Siegward helps out.

I followed the DS2 thread for at least a year and never heard of anything like that. Probably because in DS2 PvP, there was no need to complain about those mechanical intrinsities.

By the way, I'm not really as salty as I sound, it's just...baffling and I guess I'm a little annoyed at myself because I didn't know about this stuff at all, and that would have saved me a lot of issues during PvP fights...

I also followed that thread and never heard about it in there, which is why I was so surprised to hear it had an actual name by the community. Turns out, a lot of the PVP try-hards are on reddit and the fextra wiki forums.

I'm curious to see how this poise situation works out. I prefer the current system to the potential for all these pokey mages to be unstaggerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Monomythian posted:

I've made people watch my honeymoon before. :grin:

Also wouldn't it be funny if poise is only turned off because it was in Bloodborne and they just pulled Bloodborne's framework in without checking it ever?