Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
From yesterday evening in the Beta forum:

Sarah Jane Avory posted:

I'm changing the shield-down behavior, making AI ships more aggressive and fight more. They'll have a random chance to flee, but will flee until out of range or they fall inside your firing cone. They won't flee if your shield is down or low. Hopefully this should make people happier.

Also this seems like a pretty legit criticism of the current Engineers progression system. The thread has a bunch of posts from Frontier devs too:

brown sea posted:

In order to gain rep with an Engineer beyond grade 1 mods, you cannot take missions from them, but have to buy a lot of their mods. You cannot use or sell these mods, you have to throw them and the invested materials away, as you typically only need 4 or 5 mods from one engineer.
Mike Evans responded with "the discussion here and the actual points from the OP are totally valid and are concerns we've had internally before and will continue to have as the beta continues so do as the mod says.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be able to integrate missions into the engineer system in a meaningful way any time soon so it's probably not going to be updated at all during the beta."

Good Dumplings posted:

At that point you're not especially realistic anyway, since you have ships that somehow have a power source that can generate relativistic amounts of energy and are armored enough to not be torn apart just moving at those speeds. Most likely those ships would be zipping around like flies on crack at anything remotely near the 1000-km scale, and the main limit to their tactical maneuverability would be the maximum force their crews could take before passing out/crushed into paste. At the same time, there's enough space in a solar system to set up countless orbitals and space stations, only Earth is known to be habitable so you have a point of conflict, and you have maybe a dozen regions to focus on as opposed to a thousand different stars all over the place.

Keep in mind how drat big a planet is; moving around the outer orbit of an inner planet still wouldn't be doable without hitting your warp drive or whatever, and moving at all in an outer planet's system of rings and moons makes it mandatory. Each one could be structured like a region in Eve rather than a system in Elite.
Would love for E:D to have Orbitals, not just 'small' stations positioned in planet orbits.
You could definitely set a whole game in our own single solar system - it's massive, plenty of room for megastructures and industrial infrastructure of all kinds!

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

El Grillo posted:

Would love for E:D to have Orbitals, not just 'small' stations positioned in planet orbits.
You could definitely set a whole game in our own single solar system - it's massive, plenty of room for megastructures and industrial infrastructure of all kinds!

I mean, yeah, sure. You'd need some form of FTL travel within a solar system for sure, and there's more than enough room for a whole bunch of things. I'd figure a game like that would look a lot like let's say a "Firefly" simulator or "The Expanse" simulator, not deeply centered on space combat but on away missions, boarding actions, exploring derelict wrecks in EVA suits and scavenging abandoned space stations or mining facilities.

Never gonna happen, but it's a cool concept.

I assume everyone itt is nerd enough to have seen "The Expanse" so you know what I'm talking about.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So apparently not only do I need to search the galaxy to find these micro resources for an Engineer upgrade, but there is a chance my time could be wasted by a bad RNG roll? :wtc:

There is not even a hint about where to get any of this stuff for the FSD range upgrade.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know precisely how much jump range I need to get into NGC 7822?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I mean, yeah, sure. You'd need some form of FTL travel within a solar system for sure, and there's more than enough room for a whole bunch of things. I'd figure a game like that would look a lot like let's say a "Firefly" simulator or "The Expanse" simulator, not deeply centered on space combat but on away missions, boarding actions, exploring derelict wrecks in EVA suits and scavenging abandoned space stations or mining facilities.

I assume everyone itt is nerd enough to have seen "The Expanse" so you know what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking waaay more like Zone of the Enders, where the ships are moving so fast your eyes can just barely follow; you're a tiny but essential gear in a godlike machine that only needs you because despite its speed you still think faster than it can ever move. I mean, yeah there could be derelicts and stuff, but there's enough resources to just build another 50 stations to replace the one that got blown up by that laser barrage from Ganymede the other week, and the real question is where you're going to get the soy to feed all the people that'll man the 3 replacement stations you're actually going to build (unless you're Earth in which case you're Crusader Kings-ing it up).

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 7, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
(qne)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is one of the many sad things about Star Citizen - CRoberts basically wanted a clone of Firefly where you're doing all of those things. Which would've been loving awesome had it been done by competent humans.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Also this seems like a pretty legit criticism of the current Engineers progression system. The thread has a bunch of posts from Frontier devs too:

Mike Evans responded with "the discussion here and the actual points from the OP are totally valid and are concerns we've had internally before and will continue to have as the beta continues so do as the mod says.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be able to integrate missions into the engineer system in a meaningful way any time soon so it's probably not going to be updated at all during the beta."

*record scratch*

Wait, really? In order to build rep to get the higher ranked upgrades which you actually want, you have to burn your resources to repeatedly reroll lower ranked upgrades? If you're going to be at the mercy of the RNG to actually source the specific resources you're looking for, having to burn those resources uselessly to grind rep is kind of twisting the knife.

A related concern I had with that has to do with limited resource storage. It makes sense for synthesis so you can't just spam recipes from a huge stockpile. However, if you have to choose between keeping resources you may need in the future (and can't source directly) and dumping them to make room for the stuff you're actually trying to collect at the time, that's going to be really sucky. I'd propose a resource + commodities bank you can only access at stations, but clearly it's not in the cards for 2.1.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

timn posted:

*record scratch*

Wait, really? In order to build rep to get the higher ranked upgrades which you actually want, you have to burn your resources to repeatedly reroll lower ranked upgrades? If you're going to be at the mercy of the RNG to actually source the specific resources you're looking for, having to burn those resources uselessly to grind rep is kind of twisting the knife.

A related concern I had with that has to do with limited resource storage. It makes sense for synthesis so you can't just spam recipes from a huge stockpile. However, if you have to choose between keeping resources you may need in the future (and can't source directly) and dumping them to make room for the stuff you're actually trying to collect at the time, that's going to be really sucky. I'd propose a resource + commodities bank you can only access at stations, but clearly it's not in the cards for 2.1.

The system is basically crafting.

Make 10 white daggers to make a green dagger and pray to RNJesus you get the prefix/suffix you want.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xae posted:

The system is basically crafting.

Make 10 white daggers to make a green dagger and pray to RNJesus you get the prefix/suffix you want.

How much grind is there to get a Vorpal Mining Laser +6?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It depends on how the dice rolls shake out!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Tippis posted:

How much grind is there to get a Vorpal Mining Laser +6?

Well remember that you can get the +6 on attack, but you also roll a D6 on -damage.

Then to get Vorpal you'll need to roll a special effect (25%) then hope for Vorpal (10%).

So you need to craft about

So a 1/6 x (.25 x .1)

So you have about a .16% chance per roll. So at a 99.84% chance of not getting your perfect +6 Vorpal you'll need to roll it 50 times to get about a 10% chance.

Edit: This poo poo is all made up. Don't spaz out about anything.

The whole system is junk to be honest. The most interesting and useful part are the special effects and those are pure RNG.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I… I was just trying to make an oblique joke about how the RNG would always give the best bonuses to items that don't need them. :ohdear:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
They need to make random rolls make a module into the mining lance. Enjoy your booby prize!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They need to take random rolls and shove them up their own rear end.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Grinding low tier upgrades kind of make sense from a new player's perspective, where they're getting new ships fairly often and kind of progressing their engineer reputation as they try out different weapons and so on.

For someone who has had the game since launch trying to get their new guns and leave, not so much.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

Grinding low tier upgrades kind of make sense from a new player's perspective, where they're getting new ships fairly often and kind of progressing their engineer reputation as they try out different weapons and so on.

For someone who has had the game since launch trying to get their new guns and leave, not so much.

At least they put some surprising elements in, like FSDs who charge faster. I never even thought about that! The best upgrade I could find so far (Felicity Farseer), can bring down your jump timer from 10 to 2,5 seconds!

So you actually have a choice: Do you want more jump range, or same range as normal, but blindingly fast jumps?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Libluini posted:

At least they put some surprising elements in, like FSDs who charge faster. I never even thought about that! The best upgrade I could find so far (Felicity Farseer), can bring down your jump timer from 10 to 2,5 seconds!

So you actually have a choice: Do you want more jump range, or same range as normal, but blindingly fast jumps?

But then you're still staring at the loading screen for a minute.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

But then you're still staring at the loading screen for a minute.

I'm hoping they deal with that before the beta is over. But yeah, even in the stable 2.0 build you get the occasional "long jumps". Still, cutting out 7,5 seconds per jump piles up fast.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I can't wait for after the beta and coriolis.io updates so you can craft all the spells onto your ship for crazy builds.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Like many, I would be more excited about all these custom elements if we had some proper method of permanent storage of equipment to readily swap in and out of whatever you are flying at the time. Or at least have it permanently unlocked as a credits option if you fly out to who you bought it from in the first place.

As it is, even a "newer" player is probably going to have to leave behind many custom toys that they spent far more time trying to unlock in the first place, than it would take to get a much better ship in the first place.

"So my tricked out Adder is nice and all, but I' finally decided to try out a cobra. Welp, time to abandon my fancy thrusters. Can I at least get an extra chromed up medium multicannon?... no I can go gently caress myself and roll the dice again?"

Hopefully the dev comments about keeping awkwardness in mind turn out. Because as cool as these things are, a newer player is likely going to be much better served just moving up through normal equipment than stopping to try and trick out their very first I Eagle. Particularly as it would be far easier to get all the materials needed to MAKE the custom toys done with bigger ships, even if you wanted to trick out a smaller one.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 7, 2016

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
Don't know if any of you played Air Rivals back in the day, but the crafting system sounds somewhat similar. The big difference is this game isn't a p2w. The best weapons required money spent to improve, and the more you improved them, the higher the chance the weapon would "break" and be gone forever.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Libluini posted:

I'm hoping they deal with that before the beta is over. But yeah, even in the stable 2.0 build you get the occasional "long jumps". Still, cutting out 7,5 seconds per jump piles up fast.
I'm guessing it's that or extra range though, not both?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm guessing it's that or extra range though, not both?

Uh yes, that's what I wrote a post earlier. Fast charging FSD, high range FSD, super-armored FSD. That's the options. You can only take one.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It is. On the other hand, that's also 7.5 seconds less you're getting shot at when you're being fired upon after an interdiction - and if it's an actual multiplier, it's 75% off whatever time you'd normally spend bogged down thanks to the mass shadow of a big ship. Not so useful for exploration, extremely useful for anyone who wants to GTFO ASAP from a potentially hairy situation.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 7, 2016

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
I really like them buffing the boost mechanic. Makes the combat a little more fast paced and feels more like star citizen combat, which is a model that I at first didnt favor compared to elite, but have come to appreciate more due to its faster pace and higher skill cap.

The greatly increased mission payments for smuggling are good. Money should be more easily acquired as the game is already too grindy for the amount of content it has.

The AI buffs are good and I wish they would stick with the human like behavior model. Buying a big ship does not entitle you to killing every small ship you engage, especially when that ship can be 400ms faster than you are. This makes intelligent module targetting more worthwhile, as well as burst damage. Its funny how much whining there is about AI behaving as humans do, which indicates there might be an issue with gameplay and not so much with npc/player behavior.

That said, because of the more challenging AI they should really increase bounty payouts by 4 or 5 times. And get rid of the boring and easy RES farming mechanic of the past and turn it into more challenging bounty hunting.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
just think how awesome Robigo runs will be with that shorter jump time! :dance:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Someone will probably :science: the gently caress out of the maths involved, but I feel like the increased FSD range mod will make travel faster for you over the sped-up FSD charge. You're still using x time per jump to orient yourself, y to maybe do a fuel scoop, and z to wait for your drive to cooldown - while with the upgraded FSD range you'll get by with fewer jumps overall.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nippythefish posted:

just think how awesome Robigo runs will be with that shorter jump time! :dance:

Even if they give a pay cut, I might actually try out Smuggling in general finally if that whole "Silent running now prevents scans" thing I saw mentioned makes it to live.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Too be fair, a fast charging FSD would be super useful when you're smuggling/trading and have to run from loving interdictions every other jump.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
How much time does a cop scan take again? Because if you're big enough to not be bogged down by their mass, drat.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Don't think that some of the mission payouts will be permanent yet. Until the patch is hit and we see that 40 mill is possible they may patch it back down to the normal 4 mill or so a mission. I don't trust them to not patch it down because of the brown sea and it just being for beta to help the players gain cash fast and try out the new mission styles.

However the new way the missions work is great and making the slaves unique will kill slave scumming. But not losing if scanned until you reach the system is a great mechanic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'll finally be able to pay for my ship insurance more than 3x over!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fishreds99 posted:

The AI buffs are good and I wish they would stick with the human like behavior model. Buying a big ship does not entitle you to killing every small ship you engage, especially when that ship can be 400ms faster than you are. This makes intelligent module targetting more worthwhile, as well as burst damage. Its funny how much whining there is about AI behaving as humans do, which indicates there might be an issue with gameplay and not so much with npc/player behavior.

The buffs that make the enemies more dangerous to the player are good (better use of directional thrusters, using speed to create firing opportunities, etc.). The "buffs" that make them point their plane toward empty space and spam boost don't make them harder to fight; they make them harder to kill, and in a very tedious and boring manner. It effectively forces everybody into the PvP metagame of huge alpha strikes and wing composition roles (in a game that currently has no NPC winging capability). It may not be realistic for a damaged Eagle to try to fight a Vulture, but who cares? NPCs have nothing to lose, and this isn't some sort of military training simulator.

There are some guys whining on the official forums that removing or toning down the flee mechanic will break their immersion because "a real person would just boost away," as if we haven't spent the entirety of gaming history playing with NPCs that favor fighting to the death over self-preservation. Does it break anybody's immersion in Dark Souls when an invader NPC fights the player to the death instead of sprinting away and hiding in a pack of enemies to bait aggro, like 90% of human invaders do? Did it ever break anybody's immersion in TIE Fighter when a damaged ship would continue to fight your base model TIE Fighter instead of effortlessly outrunning it? Was Shadow of the Colossus ruined because the colossi wouldn't just roll over or run their hand through their hair and kill you instantly?

NPCs in space games are there to give players something to shoot. If you don't think that a Vulture should ever be able to kill a FdL without using the PvP alpha strike de jour or winging up with an interceptor, then just play exclusively in Open in populated areas and go nuts with that metagame. For PvE, that FdL should use its speed to do "boom and zoom" runs on you (they do this in beta, and it makes them much more interesting to fight!), but it shouldn't just run. That's effectively the developer saying "no more spaceship laser fighting for you, sorry; gotta keep it real."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Don't think that some of the mission payouts will be permanent yet. Until the patch is hit and we see that 40 mill is possible they may patch it back down to the normal 4 mill or so a mission. I don't trust them to not patch it down because of the brown sea and it just being for beta to help the players gain cash fast and try out the new mission styles.

However the new way the missions work is great and making the slaves unique will kill slave scumming. But not losing if scanned until you reach the system is a great mechanic.

Can people test the new mission-system yet, though? I'm asking because I've been simply flying from engineer to engineer and the game crashes like clockwork every time I get near a planetary base. With the waiting for two sets of shaders doing their thing every time I log in, that tells me testing isn't really viable until we get a more stable build.

Then again, I could just be the most unlucky man alive. :v:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Drake_263 posted:

Someone will probably :science: the gently caress out of the maths involved, but I feel like the increased FSD range mod will make travel faster for you over the sped-up FSD charge. You're still using x time per jump to orient yourself, y to maybe do a fuel scoop, and z to wait for your drive to cooldown - while with the upgraded FSD range you'll get by with fewer jumps overall.

This, plus the previously mentioned time that you'll still lose to glitched load screens, plus the fact that increasing your range reduces travel time twice (it cuts the number of jumps you need to make over the same route, but it also frequently opens up better routes). You gotta get that double dip, girl. More range is an easy pick for explorers, even if you're just looking at reducing travel time and not considering the awesome ability to go places no ship has yet gone!

The timer reduction is for scootin' the loving boot when you're under fire in the bubble, but I'm excited for that too.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 8, 2016

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Shine posted:

The buffs that make the enemies more dangerous to the player are good (better use of directional thrusters, using speed to create firing opportunities, etc.). The "buffs" that make them point their plane toward empty space and spam boost don't make them harder to fight; they make them harder to kill, and in a very tedious and boring manner. It effectively forces everybody into the PvP metagame of huge alpha strikes and wing composition roles (in a game that currently has no NPC winging capability). It may not be realistic for a damaged Eagle to try to fight a Vulture, but who cares? NPCs have nothing to lose, and this isn't some sort of military training simulator.

If they had "real" mission types this could be fine though. Like, you get a bounty for clearing an area, or forcing them to flee, or just engaging an enemy and doing damage. Having to literally blow up countless other space-people has always been a gamey thing. If they want to add human behavior, they should give rewards for human outcomes. But if you just had to fight enemies until they quit the field, the flee mechanic could just offer bonuses; the drops and the like.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

This, plus the previously mentioned time that you'll still lose to glitched load screens, plus the fact that increasing your range reduces travel time twice (it cuts the number of jumps you need to make over the same route, but it also frequently opens up better routes). You gotta get that double dip, girl. More range is an easy pick for explorers, even if you're just looking at reducing travel time and not considering the awesome ability to go places no ship has yet gone!

The timer reduction is for scootin' the loving boot when you're under fire in the bubble, but I'm excited for that too.

Does the range increase also increase fuel consumption?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Plek posted:

If they had "real" mission types this could be fine though. Like, you get a bounty for clearing an area, or forcing them to flee, or just engaging an enemy and doing damage. Having to literally blow up countless other space-people has always been a gamey thing. If they want to add human behavior, they should give rewards for human outcomes. But if you just had to fight enemies until they quit the field, the flee mechanic could just offer bonuses; the drops and the like.

That would be cool, yeah. Space Rangers 2 (FRONTIER PLEASE COPY) had missions like that, where you were tasked with preventing civilian deaths in an area for X amount of time, so if a pirate attacked a trader and you ran the pirate off, it contributed to your success and thus felt rewarding.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Conskill posted:

Does the range increase also increase fuel consumption?

The engineer I visited gave range increase by giving a bonus to mass optimization, so since mass also influences fuel consumption, the answer is a "maybe"?

This reminds me, this also means heavier ships profit from this bonus probably a lot more than smaller and lighter ships. Does someone want to visit Felicity with a Cutter and a Courier to try this out and compare? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Shine posted:

That would be cool, yeah. Space Rangers 2 (FRONTIER PLEASE COPY) had missions like that, where you were tasked with preventing civilian deaths in an area for X amount of time, so if a pirate attacked a trader and you ran the pirate off, it contributed to your success and thus felt rewarding.

i think i have a boxed copy of this somewhere, if i can find it i'm going to send it to frontier fao davey brabes

• Locked thread