Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFwQBGL6pIc

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So what's a good infusion and stat path to go for if i'm aiming for a build that only uses the minimum requirements to wield a weapon?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TaurusOxford posted:

So what's a good infusion and stat path to go for if i'm aiming for a build that only uses the minimum requirements to wield a weapon?

If you only just meet the minimum requirements you almost certainly want Raw. It gives the highest base damage at the cost of having no scaling, but of course you wouldn't benefit from scaling anyway.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Depends on the build but you can never go wrong with a Raw Astora Straight Sword. Fun fact: if you don't meet the faith requirement for the rear end, you won't lose any damage as long as you don't infuse it with fire/magic/dark/lightning, but you'll still take a stamina penalty!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

just turn your weapons raw if you aren't planning on increasing any of your stats up. Level up vigor to 27 and your endurance to 40; increase your luck if you want to go a bleed build. I like to level my attunement up to 10 so that way you have a slot for pyromancy spells.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

drat. Which bows do you use?

http://imgur.com/a/oeeWx

Basically used Composite Bow and Dragonrider Bow. DB does a lot more damage but the advantage of CB is that you can attack out of rolls/dashes, which means you get a lot more opportunities since the shots are instant (no windup). The counter shots do less damage, though.

It was fun, I enjoyed it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HnK416 posted:

So putting Poison on the Warden Twinblades increases both strength and Dex scaling, increases bleed damage, and adds a lot of poison.

That's disgusting and I love it

???

?????

That has to be a glitch, right?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

I love this loving game

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

???

?????

That has to be a glitch, right?
Wasn't there a casting sword in DS2 that got better Spell Buff if you infused it with Poison or something? From's weird

Edit: Yeah, it's this one: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/blue-flame
When you infused it with poison it inexplicably got a significant boost to its magic scaling, which also made it a better sorcery tool. :darksouls:

Exodee fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 8, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Exodee posted:

Wasn't there a casting sword in DS2 that got better Spell Buff if you infused it with Poison or something? From's weird

There was also the Barbed Club, an innate bleed weapon that got a significant physical damage and bleed boost when elementally infused.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Do you have at least one tongue? There's a free one in the firedemon area where Siegward helps out.

I followed the DS2 thread for at least a year and never heard of anything like that. Probably because in DS2 PvP, there was no need to complain about those mechanical intrinsities.

By the way, I'm not really as salty as I sound, it's just...baffling and I guess I'm a little annoyed at myself because I didn't know about this stuff at all, and that would have saved me a lot of issues during PvP fights...

I feel like this mechanic has been in every game in some form, or at least it's the only thing that might explain why poise on enemies is so batshit stupid. It is completely incomprehensible and pretty infuriating when an enemy gets staggered by the exact same attack 5 times in a row and then suddenly ignores the sixth one to hit you for two thirds of your health (or instakill you if it's bloodborne). I have seen enemies who were getting staggered by R1s from the blade of mercy (tiny dagger) arbitrarily take a charge attack from the kirkhammer (gigantic goddamn metal brick the size of your torso) without flinching. Absolutely no consistency.

At this point I just try to avoid swinging if it will have to stagger an enemy to prevent me from getting hit by them. I've never been able to understand how staggering enemies works in these games but I feel like it is getting worse and worse as the games get harder.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I love this loving game

If nothing else Dark Souls 3 will be remembered for Stretch Out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin hasn't aged well graphically, I'm kinda surprised since I remember it being quite pretty.

I gotta agree with whoever it was who said earlier in the thread they'd love to see DSII in the DSIII engine.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
1v3 in the catacombs so I cut the bridge as soon as the first guy crosses because I know I can't get all of them. First guy makes it across anyway. poo poo. So after I take some damage, I leap down (with the Silvercat Ring) to estus up. Guy tries a plunging attack and just misses, dying instantly. I climb back up the ladder, and the host and remaining phantom are waiting for me. I get knocked back down, estus up, and...both of them jump down after me to their deaths.

:stare:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Jerusalem posted:

Man, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin hasn't aged well graphically, I'm kinda surprised since I remember it being quite pretty.

I gotta agree with whoever it was who said earlier in the thread they'd love to see DSII in the DSIII engine.

I don't think 2 would look good on DS3's engine except maybe for lighting. DS2 levels are basically featureless boxes with no atmosphere.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I don't think 2 would look good on DS3's engine except maybe for lighting. DS2 levels are basically featureless boxes with no atmosphere.

Well that's the thing isn't it? They're featureless boxes because it was supposed to be dark enough that you would never have been able to see the giant ugly walls and such.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Places like Shrine of Amana and Black Gulch don't have any atmosphere?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

mastershakeman posted:

Dex sucks don't do it

Dex owns do it. Two-handing a curved sword like the falchion or the Carthus whatever is super fast, breaks guards quickly, and covers a huge arc in front of you. Rapier/estoc is fast, has crazy reach, gets extra crit damage, and takes very little stamina. Some people like katanas, i'm not completely sold on em, but the Washing Pole is extremely fast relative to how far it reaches. There's even a dex greatsword or two if you need something heavier; Abyss Watchers' soul can be turned into one.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The arrow storage limit is annoying. Why can't I just dump 600 arrows in storage when I can do the same for almost every other consumable?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

*most of DS2 was featureless. It had some cool areas.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I had a very strange BlueCop experience today...

I was called in to rescue a Host+summoned friend running an Ornstein and Smough gimmick from a single invader...along with two other BlueCops who spawned in next to me. The five of us ganked the invader easily, but drat...either the host found a hack to get a full swat team with WoB, or the matchmaking system really hates that invader.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NTT posted:

Depends on the build but you can never go wrong with a Raw Astora Straight Sword. Fun fact: if you don't meet the faith requirement for the rear end, you won't lose any damage as long as you don't infuse it with fire/magic/dark/lightning, but you'll still take a stamina penalty!

In addition to the RawASS, the Barbed Sword is a good second option. It needs 11 Str 11 Dex, just one more than the RawASS each. It does bleed damage too and can be buffed with Carthus Rouge to make it bleed 'em faster and harder. Lower damage and shorter range than the RawASS but very good in some situations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Just got my first hit on the bluecops. While Cooping the NK I got summoned into Undead settlement. 10 seconds later before I even found the host "Duty Fulfilled". No Ear.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nuebot posted:

I haven't used them, but if I had to guess I'd say it's the dark souls two moveset since those two are the only greatswords from dark souls two that they carried over as far as I'm aware of.

It's the cool "swing your sword and follow through" 2H moveset which was used by Lucatiel's sword in DS2 yes. It has a unique 1-2-3-2-3 moveset similar to some of the dual wield weapons, so if you spam R1 you only do the first attack a single time, then cycle through a different pair of attacks as you continue to attack. Which is kind of a shame because if the moveset only used the 2nd and 3rd swings it would be a lot better as the starting 2hr1 has a lot of windup :(

I'm not sure if the better hyper armour of the Hollowslayer R1s is worth losing out damage and buffability compared to the claymore, and neither weapon is particularly amazing but I really like the 2hr2 thrust on both. You lunge forwards a huge amount so although they're not super long weapons the amount of actual range you get with the attack is extreme.

I've been looking for a harder hitting weapon which still has an interesting and diverse moveset along the lines of the katanas, there are some cool UGS but I don't think I can handle only being able to do 3 attacks without running dry on stamina so the thrusty GS seem to be the only remaining options. Unfortunately the Partizan is total poo poo in this game.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So, I was goofing around in Irithryll Dungeon near the Path of the Dragon are and noticed something about the bodies arrayed there.

If you cut them, they bleed. Since Path of the Dragon is implied to be a buddhist-kinda meditation religion, I'm thinking that implies they are alive in a deep trance.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Anal Surgery posted:

So, I was goofing around in Irithryll Dungeon near the Path of the Dragon are and noticed something about the bodies arrayed there.

If you cut them, they bleed. Since Path of the Dragon is implied to be a buddhist-kinda meditation religion, I'm thinking that implies they are alive in a deep trance.

That..kinda makes sense. SInce the snake men after Ocerios do the same thing :stare:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSwqgPb1bU

Guys, things that are dead still have blood in them, that being said, them meditating to the point where they become stone, like actual ancient dragons, makes sense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I had a very strange BlueCop experience today...

I was called in to rescue a Host+summoned friend running an Ornstein and Smough gimmick from a single invader...along with two other BlueCops who spawned in next to me. The five of us ganked the invader easily, but drat...either the host found a hack to get a full swat team with WoB, or the matchmaking system really hates that invader.

There are probably so many people in the blue sentinels waiting for a chance that when the stars actually align, it's pretty much calling in a high-velocity pork clown car more than it is a single cop

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSwqgPb1bU

Guys, things that are dead still have blood in them, that being said, them meditating to the point where they become stone, like actual ancient dragons, makes sense.

l-l-lies!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Shrine of Amana had great atmosphere, but it was one of few truly great areas, atmosphere-wise. Majula, of course, is up there, as are Dragon Aerie and Frozen Eleum Loyce. I didn't think Black Gulch had a whole lot going for it, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gently caress 2 in this engine i want 1 and demons in this engine. also they can finish the last bit of the game.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm not saying that any weapon necessarily needs to be nerfed, but I'm not particularly good at pvp, and my win percentage goes up significantly when I use certain weapons such as the Dark Sword, Black Knight Greataxe, Exile Greatsword, Estoc, and the Gotthard Twinswords. But even as good as those weapons are, the weapon that I'm most successful with is the Red Hilted Halberd. It's a little dull because it's so R1 heavy, but it just chews people up. Everyone thinks they can trade hits with it, but unless they're using something like the BK Greataxe, I almost always win the trade (full disclosure, I consider both of us dying a "win", and that happens a lot).

The only one of those weapons that really bugs me is the Dark Sword because I like some of the other straight swords, but every time I lose a duel while using them, I look at the other guy's health bar and realize that I probably would have won had I been using the Dark Sword. It doesn't say anything positive about my personality that my desire to win usually outweighs my desire to win with style.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Internet Kraken posted:

Undead Crypt, all the DLCs, the runup to Castle Drangleic, Lost Bastille, Tseldora, Huntsman's Copse... DS2 had a lot of evocative areas.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I know you can cure dark sigils but I don't really understand hollowfication and why you would want to cure it in the first place. It doesn't seem like taking the levels offered interacts with anything else so why is curing sigils even an option?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Some people don't like looking like beef jerky.

Also because gently caress Yulia.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

From a little bit back, but:

Promontory posted:

About Aldrich theories: Isn't he Smough? That's the armour you can buy from the Handmaiden after the boss fight. Aldrich's true home is said to be Irithyll, which turns out to be Anor Londo. Would also fit nicely with the boss arena. In addition, Hawkwood says that Aldrich was made a Lord of Cinder 'not for virtue, but for might' which Smough certainly had. Of course, his sainthood and connection to the Deep are unexplained by this identity. The armour could be a red herring.

Explicitly no. The info on Smough's armor states that he was the last knight to hold the line at Anor Londo. This actually indicates a redemption of sorts, implying his commitment was enough to earn him proper knighthood, and it can be extrapolated that if he did come face to gooey face with Aldrich, even Smough was revolted by the depravities of the "Saint."

Of course, this does sorta kill my DS2 theory that Smough is actually the Old Dragonslayer at Heide, having taken Ornstein's armor and attempting to reinvent himself. :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm really starting to hate this Barbed Straight Sword for PVP. The range on it feels so dinky that most "trades" end up in freebie hits from my opponent because they outrange me. :( But I'm also keeping myself a super low level and almost all of my points are dedicated to max HP so my options for other things are super limited.

I know it's a problem I created myself but drat is it not frustrating at times anyway.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
A request for all hosts asking for summons to help with (nameless) King: Please stop dying in phase one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Internet Kraken posted:

The atmosphere they had was predominantly 'hey gently caress you'.