Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

iD's versions would have sucked as well.

https://youtu.be/tp3nDzYivDc

I would have preferred to see id collectively shoot their reputation in the head than watch them trudge into the modern age with Bethesda elbow-deep in their assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

at least we can look forward to one last hurrah from John Romero's shockingly gray nerd mane and a badly aging Adrian Carmack

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're the guy on the left.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

smh

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

[larry looking at a picture of noted genius albert einstein] thats you lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

trying to jack off posted:

lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is the most badass picture I've ever seen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

YouTube - The Return

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

Carmack is a badass

https://youtu.be/X68Mm_kYRjc

Retarded_Clown_ fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 8, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

In Training posted:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

-Enraged Arabic yelling-

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have brain damage and when I saw all I saw was

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Wait do you legitimately have brain damage or are you joking

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I have brain damage and all I saw was a pic of the avatar of one of the funniest ppl on this website and thought to own someone with it.. my mistake

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Reading Masters of Doom... This is pretty good so far

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

rediscover posted:

I have brain damage and all I saw was a pic of the avatar of one of the funniest ppl on this website and thought to own someone with it.. my mistake

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Hold on, I'm using ouija to talk to Eric Harris about Doom 4. F-U-C-K-I-N-G-E-P-I

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

I have brain damage and when I saw all I saw was

The weird sociopath from the end of breaking bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

So like.. besides the digital distribution thing.. noone buys disks anymore.. I guess another big change from your time is achievements. Gaming magazines are a thing of the past, there are a few still but HTTP really took off and everyone reads online now. But yeah, you have to roll these things into the game now where you come up with gameplay targets, completely basic poo poo anyone is going to do through normal play, and then you tick them off and let the player see the checklist whenever they want. Stuff like 'kill 100 monsters' or 'pick up 50 health packs'.

John Romero from the 90s: So.. when the player kills 100 monsters they get an onscreen alert that they hit that target and it checks it off. I guess you share completion of these through your modern social network poo poo, so Steam or even Facebook?

Yeah, you got it. Not Facebook so much, that's more about pretending you're someone that you're not in real life.. but Steam absolutely.

Ok.. I guess. Why would it be an achievement if you're just doing the same poo poo every single other player does? It would make more sense to me if we put them in hard to reach places, perhaps complex secrets or particularly nasty monsters that you don't have to kill to finish the level. But if you did you'd get this recognition from the game you did that thing. Why do we want to reward stock standard basic play?

You need to read the Wikipedia page on 'skinner box'

Oh yeah, loving Wikipedia. Is that your answer for everything?

You have no idea.. read the page on Blizzard while you're there too.

edit: omfg. WoW has how many subscribers?! We ain't in Kansas anymore..

Tony Montana hosed around with this message at May 9, 2016 around 19:02

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So like.. besides the digital distribution thing.. noone buys disks anymore.. I guess another big change from your time is achievements. Gaming magazines are a thing of the past, there are a few still but HTTP really took off and everyone reads online now. But yeah, you have to roll these things into the game now where you come up with gameplay targets, completely basic poo poo anyone is going to do through normal play, and then you tick them off and let the player see the checklist whenever they want. Stuff like 'kill 100 monsters' or 'pick up 50 health packs'.

John Romero from the 90s: So.. when the player kills 100 monsters they get an onscreen alert that they hit that target and it checks it off. I guess you share completion of these through your modern social network poo poo, so Steam or even Facebook?

Yeah, you got it. Not Facebook so much, that's more about pretending you're someone that you're not in real life.. but Steam absolutely.

Ok.. I guess. Why would it be an achievement if you're just doing the same poo poo every single other player does? It would make more sense to me if we put them in hard to reach places, perhaps complex secrets or particularly nasty monsters that you don't have to kill to finish the level. But if you did you'd get this recognition from the game you did that thing. Why do we want to reward stock standard basic play?

:staredog:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Lol

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

3 days till this gets released #sofuckingpumped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvyHrwL3HHs